• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silicon Lottery Starts Selling Binned 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen CPUs

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Just a few words from my experience with SL since 2015. I’ve owned four binned processors from Siliconlottery.com

Does that mean I believe everyone who owns a computer should purchase a high-binned CPU from SL.

Of course NOT! That would be ridiculous, not to mention silly.

If on the other hand 1) the enthusiast inside of you enjoys overclocking and benching and/or 2) if your business-work-income-livelihood-ability to care for your family, and the ROI-return on investment make it financially worthwhile, factoring in time saved and comfort while working long hours at a stretch, and the quality of work overall as a positive addition. Well, that’s the reasons I would purchase from SL.

I have one work application titled Final Draft 10. When you load it, it idles like any other application, with Intel SpeedStep enabled in bios, the CPU clocks down to about 0.8Ghz or 800Mhz, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet when I begin typing in the application the CPU clocks up to 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6Ghz whatever is set as the highest single-core or all-core clock speed in bios. Remove your fingertips from the keycaps and low and behold, the CPU drops back down to 800Mhz idle – the workload in Windows 10 task manager all logical processors displayed shows a single-thread at high load while typing, along with 4-5 other threads very slightly loaded - a classic single and slightly threaded application which benefits more from CPU and memory clock speeds (single-core performance vs multicore performance) than a higher number of processor cores.

So, I opted for single-threaded performance for my work rig when choosing a platform CPU-memory-motherboard. Owned the HEDT once briefly a Rampage V Edition 10/6800K X99 chipset and even using an Optane 900P SSD, the sluggishness was vastly apparent vs using an 8700K/Apex X or 8086K/Z390 Dark platform. Also, the 6800K used the quicker Intel ring bus for core to core intercommunication, now Skylake X CPUs use the higher latency Intel mesh bus - even slower, higher latency than the previous Broadwell CPUs.

Some DDR4 Memory Binning as a sidebar:

Recently picked up a Gskill Royal Silver 4600Mhz 18CL dual ddr4 kit. The highest kit on the Z390 Dark motherboard’s QVL and running it at 4400Mhz 17-17-17-34 which feels much zippier and more responsive than the 4600/18 XMP “set and forget” setting in bios.

Even the memory latency test in AIDA 64 Extreme picks up the lower overall system latency, not to be confused with the latency CL value listed on the memory modules themselves.

-at XMP - 4600Mhz CL 18-22-22-42, my AIDA 64 latency bench value is around 41 nanoseconds

-at 4400Mhz CL 17-17-17-34, my AIDA 64 latency bench value is around 37 nanoseconds (screenshots below)

…Anyone with a Z390 Dark and considering a new memory kit PM me and I’ll tell you I began by using the LUUMI Daily OC Preset within the bios as a template and went from there. It’s set up for 9900Ks yet easily adapted to 8700Ks/8086Ks.

Back to the story:

Intel first binned the 8700Ks from the silicon wafers cut mounted and tested. Then Intel binned a second time to pull out the top tier increased the factory single-core base and boost clock and created the 8086Ks. Then SL binned a third time to sort out the highest tier they can test stable using the ROG Hero motherboards. Of course, you can reach higher stable (and not so stable) speeds using any motherboard with an improved VRM section than the Hero boards SL uses as their standardized testing method, be it from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASROCK, or EVGA.
From a personal POV, when I’m really cranking out my thoughts to words at a rapid rate onto electronic paper, well frustration can build if I have to wait for a slow pc to respond, I want the computer to absolutely disappear when I work, and not hinder me in any way. I can lose a train of thought very quickly (I’m like that :laugh:) and NEVER again find it … what was I saying? Creative work lost, I’ll never be able to generate again or deliver to the public. I’ve used noisy and slow pre-built Dells and building your own machine, mine took two years to get to this point, to me it’s so worth the additional effort.

“Sometimes I only lose the caboose in my train of thought” Oh that’s beyond corny and deserves an apology. :roll:

Why do people comment negatively on products or services they have no interest in or cannot gain any benefit from? No product or service is meant to be a perfect match for everyone.

Anywho, here’s some cool photos (below) anyone using the Gskill Silver Royal ddr4 I hope will enjoy, the static blue RGB color is the best aesthetic match for my very “unaesthetic-somewhat ugly” work computer. Lol

But it’s fast, ahh the trade-offs we make in life.

And some benchmark screenshots for anyone who believes Siliconlottery.com is a scam. SL is a real live positive service provider. Binning is a real service for some of us, the CPUs are fun, enjoyable to play with and the time saved using a super-responsive PC for completing work pays for itself. For some of us.

Sorry for the extreme number of screenshots. Only trying to show the wide range of clocks/volts available with a high-binned CPU. You don’t have to run it at the very edge of stability to enjoy the processor, but still it’s fun just to find out how far it will go “only briefly” with a little tweaking. And then I move back into more practical saved profiles in bios and get back to work.

Also, sorry I don’t have much/any to say about AMD’s Matisse launch per this thread, although it does seem AMD’s single-thread performance at 4.4Ghz-4.5Ghz is now equivalent to Intel’s single-thread at 5.0Ghz – So Go AMD! :clap:

This is only my opinion from personal experience, and nothing more than that.

Reply what you want, I won’t be returning or reading the hatred.

That is an impressive OC, well played sir.

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
People calm down and stop complaining about this company! :D It's like apple phones: some people just like to pay more 'because', and its their right. Agreed you have to wonder sometimes what goes through a persons head to throw money so ineffectively after someting, but its up to them. They are the whales of capitalism and let them flow; then we sharks can do your own thing. Theres space enough in the ocean for both.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
As they say, a "boat is a hole in the water in which to pour money". Better keep that scalp game strong.

Its standard practice among all the semi conductor companies to bin wafers to allocate lower quality to cut down SKU, it creates the pricing structure. Over time usually the yields improve and either the low end SKU can be overclocked or even unlocked, as it comes from better silicon than it was initially allocated for that SKU, or the prices come down on all SKUs, or the clock speeds improve on all SKUs in the following revision.
For some sailors, BOAT stand for, break out another thousand.
I enjoy sailing, it lets me relax and enjoy something I love to do. Some people enjoy sports or weed to relax, and i enjoy the ocean.

If only...

I ran Super Pi, a single threaded application and one core boosted to 4.341 GHz... short of the 4.4 GHz advertised. Even if I set affinity of the application it's still the same. My CPU, and I've heard others complain, has not hit its rated boost clock across 5 motherboards.

Oh, and it didn't stay there, it kept bouncing around...
Maybe shut down all the other cores and test it on 1 core only.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Maybe shut down all the other cores and test it on 1 core only.
I did... I set affinity for the application to use one core.

Shutting them is not worth the effort. These arent seeming to boost where they say... it's just that simple.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Ryzen 9 3900X
  • 4.20 GHz @ 1.25 V, $810
Or save that money for the 3950X with 33% more cores.

System Name Coffeelake the Zen Destroyer
Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling Cooled by EK
Memory RGB DDR4 4133MHz CL17-17-17-37
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti to future GTX 1180Ti
Storage SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27VQ to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ
Case Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Power Supply COOLER MASTER 1KW Gold
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
Software MICROSOFT Redstone 4
Benchmark Scores Cine Bench 15 single performance 222
Intel has factory super binned CPUs... 8086K and 9900KS both super binned.

SL versions are 5.3GHz AVX-2 (Pre-Delidded)

Or just wait and buy an Intel i9-9900KS Factory Turbo All Cores 5GHz

Wondering if AMD will sell factory Boost super binned CPUs like the 8086K and 9900KS? Oh wait wasn't the 2700X Annaverty Edition super binned?

Then there's no point to SL if Intel and AMD releases Super binned CPUs series.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
If you ask me it has become sad now. The "Silicon lottery" has been made as a new brand of processors that are being sold for instead of a lucky customer winner who purchased a cpu and can be proud of its high clocs.

Ryzen 9 3900X
  • 4.20 GHz @ 1.25 V, $810
Or save that money for the 3950X with 33% more cores.
And potentially even higher clocks, since those dies are very likely to be binned by AMD themselves.

Then there's no point to SL if Intel and AMD releases Super binned CPUs series.
They are just going to ultra-bin the super binned ... The Show scam Must Go On !

As for the people that put the angry face on my posts, knock yourselves out. Won't change the fact that the post-sale "binning" and 2nd hand selling unaltered overpriced CPUs is a scam.
(Well, it's a little scam, enough to get by with authorities...)

The only actual valid service is delidding Intel CPUs. That one is somewhat fine. Most people don't have the tools to do so themselves.
However that is scammy as well, because if you actually use LM on that delidded CPU, it will void their warranty.
Why bother delidding if you can't put a superior thermal material there?

Last edited:
System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
I've had a good experience buying from SL.. only wish I didn't have to pay VAT on top of their mark up when getting it sent to UK.
I bought an 1800X binned for 4.1ghz @ ≤1.44v, worked exactly as advertised, in fact for gaming it's happy at 4.15ghz 1.45v which is where the chip has been run for most of it's life.

The first 1800X I got wasn't great and realistically would only clock to 4.0 all core, since i'd spent a ton on a decent watercooling loop I wanted a better chip than that to justify it, but in hind sight I should have saved my money and lived with it.

@Wavetrex Binning isn't a scam, it's a premium service and you get what you pay for. If you absolutely want a 9900k that's stable @ 5.1ghz or any other processor that's a particularly good sample, and don't want to take the chance of getting an average or poor chip you pay the extra for a 3rd party to cherry pick out the best of the bunch. They extensively stress test the processor and guarantee you will be able to do whatever frequency at whatever voltage. It isn't a complicated concept.

edit:
I noticed the "you'd have to be extremely lucky to get a skylake that can't do 5Ghz" discussion earlier.. The best I can push my 6700K to is 4.8ghz at 1.58v iirc, that's running bare die with liquid metal and waterblock sitting straight on top with 360mm of radiator and a D5 pump. It had the best chance it would ever get and couldn't get to 5Ghz, I wouldn't even attempt to do a 1hr stress test on it running at that voltage.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Fine, I give up.
Thanks @infrared for the long explanation. Enjoy your CPUs.
Ty.. I mean I doubt any of us nutters that buy binned cpus would recommend it to the average guy building a PC, objectively it throws value out the window, but if you love overclocking it's frustrating when you stumble on a dud, and makes this kind of thing very tempting. We don't usually care much for the warranty either, my 6700k went in the Vice the same day I powered it up and saw the crazy temps lol. And tbh if I killed any of my processors I wouldn't try to RMA them, knowing how hard I've pushed them at times.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
As for the people that put the angry face on my posts, knock yourselves out. Won't change the fact that the post-sale "binning" and 2nd hand selling unaltered overpriced CPUs is a scam.

You really don't understand the concept of value-added services, do you?

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
You really don't understand the concept of value-added services, do you?
lets not rehash the last 3 pages lol

D

Deleted member 178884

"Doctors are a scam, I mean all they do is look at your illness (which already existed) and tell you which pills (that were already on the shelf) to buy to fix it. Won't change the fact that recommending unaltered, overpriced medication is a scam!"
Read the post above yours.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Low quality post by Midland Dog
System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
to whom it may concern as the writer
i hope all of the hateful comments truly disturbed you, i hope that it burns at you every second of the day, not because im evil but because i hope u realise ur helping rip ppl off and its dog (if i wasnt as pissed as a cooked me book lad then that may have been more poetic)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I make lots of money when ever apple comes out with anything new. When the last airpods came out, I bought tons of the wireless charging case version at $249 and would sell them on Craiglist or ebay for $290-320. I didnt scam anyone out of anything, if I was scamming people I wouldnt have shipped anything out and just kept their money.
And yes, I am a registered business located in Oklahoma. Reselling items bought me that boat in the avatar to your left. So instead of complaining about it, do something about it. Start something yourself.

The scam starts when people like you buy all avaliable inventory and resell. Why not become a retailer?

Sorry. I'm numb to pain...

Embrace it, let it cleanse you.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

I think that's part of the problem at this point frick... crossed that threshold long ago. :laugh:

The scam starts when people like you buy all avaliable inventory and resell. Why not become a retailer?

No, the scam starts when someone sells an empty box at full retail price on ebay.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No, the scam starts when someone sells an empty box at full retail price on ebay.

I definitely consider it a scam when people buy limited stock stuff (like all of it) and then sell it at > twice the price. That was likely not exactly the case with the airpod things, but it still grinds my gears a bit.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

Its not scamming, its reselling.
*available