• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Experience the New Era of Mobile Computing with Galaxy Book S

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today introduced Galaxy Book S, a game-changing mobile computing device built for high-performing users who don't want to be weighed down by excessive size and features of traditional laptops. Built for the new achievers - the innovators, the go-getters, those who do things differently to push themselves forward - Galaxy Book S empowers the next generation of mobile moguls.

With Galaxy Book S, Samsung ushers in a new era of mobile computing with a device that harnesses the mobility and connectivity of a smartphone and the powerful productivity of a PC. Developed in collaboration with leading technology companies, Galaxy Book S takes Samsung's position as a mobile leader and unites it with the best-in-class workforce platform powered by Microsoft and industry-leading mobile performance from Qualcomm. This new category device offers Gigabit LTE connectivity, instant-on capabilities and a premium design, powered by Windows 10 and the cutting-edge Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx compute platform. With Galaxy Book S, experience the freedom of a new type of mobile device that lets you work anywhere and everywhere, without tethering you to your desk or couch.

Discover a Flexible Device Experience That's Always On, Always Connected
Created to transform how and where you use your PC, Galaxy Book S is always-on, always-connected and always-capable - the future of mobile productivity. Ultra-fast Gigabit LTE adds a virtually constant connection to the cloud, providing high-speed access to applications and content without relying on Wi-Fi. Booting up is a thing of the past - Galaxy Book S features touch-to-wake capabilities for instant access. Like a smartphone, anything you need is readily available at the touch of your finger.

Purposefully Designed to Last and Built to Perform
Building on the Galaxy Book2, Galaxy Book S was thoughtfully designed to deliver a powerful computing experience within a lightweight and sturdy mobile form factor. Designed to stand out with its uniquely arched frame that flows when opened and closed, the portable, ultra-slim design lets you to take full advantage of its always-on capabilities. Galaxy Book S goes where you go, easily and comfortably - without the unnecessary weight and bulk of a full-sized laptop at only 0.96 kg.

Built with a premium anodized aluminium frame on the top and base, Galaxy Book S is protected against hazards that can typically damage a laptop and strengthened by the anodization process on the outer layer. Galaxy Book S' 13.3-inch display comes with a 10-point multi-touch, allowing you to scroll, zoom and control the device, with a touch of a finger.

Experience a New Caliber of Power
Created for those always on the move and who want a seamless mobile Galaxy experience across their devices, Galaxy Book S expands your productivity without limiting your reach. Galaxy Book S offers uncompromising performance-powered by the Snapdragon 8cx compute platform; the world's first 7 nanometer PC platform created for mobile computing by Qualcomm Technologies. The Snapdragon 8cx elevates Galaxy Book S above the Galaxy Book 2, with 40 percent greater CPU performance, 80 percent greater graphics performance and added memory bandwidth. The Snapdragon 8cx, purposefully designed to be fan-less, also ensures that your laptop will remain cool no matter how hard you're working.

"The Snapdragon 8cx chipset ushers in a new era of always on, always connected devices that empower you to work, multitask and play with ease almost anywhere," said Steve Mollenkopf, CEO of Qualcomm Incorporated. "We refused to compromise peak performance for battery life and instead combined the two to create a powerful device experience that offers premium mobile computing capabilities alongside a smartphone's mobility and connectivity."

Untether yourself from the charging cable with Galaxy Book S' long-lasting battery life that can power up to 23 hours of continuous video playback with only one charge. To ensure your device is running as efficiently as possible, Galaxy Book S optimizes performance depending on what you're doing - so you use less energy and save more time to create, stream, play and work. Galaxy Book S also features up to 1 TB of expandable storage, so you don't have to worry about running out of space.

Galaxy Book S also includes Samsung's studio quality Sound by AKG stereo speakers, while Dolby Atmos elevates and refines the immersive audio experience with tailored sound modes for movies, music, games and more.

Backed by Leading Industry Services
Enjoy a complete PC experience on a new mobile computing device that offers uncompromised mobility and next-generation performance with Windows 10. Microsoft's Your Phone app2 provides a seamless connection between Galaxy Book S and Galaxy Note10 so you can access your most recent photos, apps and notifications, and instantly respond to calls and texts between devices, making sure your day is friction free. Galaxy Book S also features Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage, which keeps your files protected, backed up and accessible across your devices.

With Galaxy Book S, your device is more secure and protected. With its Gigabit LTE connectivity, the Galaxy Book S allows you to avoid unreliable public networks, ensuring that your private information isn't put at risk when accessing the internet. Windows Hello provides instant sign-on capabilities with your fingerprint, ensuring quick and convenient access to your device in a more personal way.

Availability
Galaxy Book S will be available in two shades, Earthy Gold and Mercury Gray, beginning Fall 2019 at Samsung.com and Verizon.

Galaxy Book S Product Specifications:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Didn't know Windows 10 runs on ARM... ^^

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

Have you missed the whole Windows RT thing? 6 years? Even Raspberry Pi can boot a win10 shell.

It is strange to see a fresh product delivering only LTE not 5G from samsung now. Carriers would pick it up to boost sales.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I like it a lot but it seems it doesn't come out in the Benelux according to tweakers.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
I like it a lot but it seems it doesn't come out in the Benelux according to tweakers.

I thought Samsung stopped selling laptops in Europe a long time ago.

Wow that is a freekin' thin and light 13.3" laptop !

I personally don't need something like it, but I can imagine people doing office work on the go will really appreciate having something so light with them, not even feeling that they are carrying a "laptop".

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Is that the old MacBook Air with a Samsung logo on it?

If they wanted to create waves they should done an OLED screen and 4K cam.

This would be insanely AMAZING if it came with an OLED, i would drop $1000 with out problem.

I am sooo spolied having a Samsung OLED Infinity display in my phone that my next laptop MUST have OLED.

No way i am buying this with 720p cam, FHD TFT screen and a low performing (compared to Intel), cheap Qualcomm 8CX for $1000

Rather by an Galaxy TAB S6 instead for $750 than this Samsung BOOK S $1000 rip off.

They think people will overlook hardware specs and go down in split in happiness because of the 23 hour battery time.

Well Samsung, think again. Underwhelming hardware at overprice only works with Apple iSheep.

Do not buy!!!

Next year you will get Book S2 with 2x cpu performance (Qualcomm 9CX), OLED screen, 4K+ camera, 5G conectivity and MicroSD Express slot for $1000

Samsung achilles heel is that they are trying to compete with Apple, what they do not understand is that their customers don't give a sh*t about Apple and never will.

Meanwhile Samsung thinks they are taking market from Apple the Chinese like HUAWEI will rip Samsung a new one with their release.

HUAWEI 8CX Laptop will be better and cheaper and out sell Samsung BOOK S in all markets except USA before Samsung knows what hit them.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
As much as I like the concept, it won't go any further than Pixelbook or their own Galaxybook 2. Maybe even not half as far.
I like Samsung's old ARM chromebooks, but at least those were cheap and actually had a ton of decent use cases. This thing is already confirmed to go for a whooping $1000 just like its predecessors, which a normal person would probably spend on some sleek, power-efficient, underperforming, and equally overpriced Core Y laptop.
Plus it only features a 720p webcam, which honestly sucks balls even if it has decent optics and autofocus. Display is OK, but it's still a TFT with all its weaknesses... not even IPS/VA and definitely a far-cry from OLED. No expansion ports except for a pair of Type-C (no TB3 either).
I'm not sure if double battery life is worth $1K and that many sacrifices.

It's been one of the central selling points of SD845 and later to OEMs (especially SD855 & 5G chipsets): Qualcomm and MS collaborated on emulating some x86 and graphics acceleration aspects on ARM.
Picked up pace only with SD855 and the arrival of 5G, but still too slow to even dent the market.
It works, but it still sucks even with a powerhouse SoC like Snapdragon 8cx.

I personally don't need something like it
When you see a final price tag, you'll most likely change it to "f#$% no! I don't need this $#i7".

D

Deleted member 158293

Like the concept a lot, but based on their history I have a hard time believing Samsung will support this product properly. And yes it should be AMOLED at least similar to the S series tablets.

Like mentioned above Huawai option IMO is probably a much better buy. Very tempted...

Have you missed the whole Windows RT thing? 6 years? Even Raspberry Pi can boot a win10 shell.

It is strange to see a fresh product delivering only LTE not 5G from samsung now. Carriers would pick it up to boost sales.

Well sure but don't call it Windows RT, that project was utter failure and was discontinued long ago. These things are designed to run x86 software through emulation too.

Any how, interesting to see this thing benchmarked, predecessor SD850 mcp was not that stellar performer and costs arm and leg...

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Well sure but don't call it Windows RT, that project was utter failure and was discontinued long ago. These things are designed to run x86 software through emulation too.
And I still suspect that most of the kernel base was ported directly from there. Windows RT was not a failure fundamentally, it's mostly because Windows 8 by itself was too heavy, and ARMv7, which MS targeted at the time, was already getting old. Another thing that killed it, is cheap Intel Atom and the arrival of Chrome OS.

Any how, interesting to see this thing benchmarked
There are few 8cx benchmarks around. QC published some PCMark numbers, and PCWorld confirmed them earlier this year. Basically a tad slower than i5-8250U capped at 15W.
iGPU is pretty good, but as soon as 10th gen gets on the market, it'll become irrelevant, especially in $800-$1000 segment. I'd rather see some cheap Ryzen V-series netbooks.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
So you're saying I get to buy a new $1k laptop every year, after they send out their OS update that cripples the processor in the name of "battery safety" that effectively renders the machine useless? Just in time for the next gen to come out, too, lucky me.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
So this Windows RT v2. When will Microsoft abandon it??

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
So this Windows RT v2. When will Microsoft abandon it??

You underestimate the power of iot and why windows needs to be ready for it.

ARM is really everywhere you look at.

Pan

System Name Budget gamer v3.1
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B650E-F
Cooling Deepcool AS500 PLUS
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 2x16GB 6000MHz @ CL 32
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 XT SWFT 309
Storage Kingston A2000 1 TB & 2 TB Intel 660p & 2TB+4TB Netac NV7000
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 27" & Asus vg248qe 24"
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini Black
Audio Device(s) Anker soundcore Q45
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 760W Platinum
Mouse Logitech g403 wireless & g703 wireless
Keyboard Varmilo VA88M Panda, Silent black keys
Software Windows 11 Pro
Would be a nice laptop for movies, shows and videos on the go. But I think it will be priced way too high.