• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alleged Leaked Details on Intel Comet Lake-S Platform Require... You Guessed It... A New Platform

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Spectre, Meltdown etc. is basically irrelevant for end users, they require someone to execute their code on your CPU, find something useful, and then somehow extract that data out of your computer.
Though most end-users are not worth to exploit, all end users who browse the Web execute other people code.
Browsers do know this and did some work to further mitigate the risk of Spectre.
But running other people's code is done everyday. Ad networks and other such third parties are examples of code end users do not explicitly consent for, but do run.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
It's still a warm comment section, don't have worry , be happy.

Well as an intel man overall. I am worried for Intels near future CPU´s. But even i this round will go AMD ryzen 3000 as intel´s offer is just not apealing to me and i am even starts joking on intel. That shut say a lot after i have been voting for intel the past 10-15 years. But the latest few years, Intel has been a joke. Not only with the 14 NM, but some of there releases before like
Intel® Core™ i5-7640X and Intel® Core™ i7-7740X on there HEDT platform, there prices on there HEDT CPU is a joke as well. There latest laptop releases on 10 and 14 NM cpu´s is gonna make a confusion or consumers as well. For not to forget there rushed lauch of 14, 16 ad 18 core cpu with there 7000 serie cpu´s. Intel lately has been a big mess. While AMD winning ground, intel is losing ground. That makes me sad, but it is the hard real story:( and you tell me to not worry...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Moderators, please clean up all the trolling posts in this thread.

Though most end-users are not worth to exploit, all end users who browse the Web execute other people code.
Browsers do know this and did some work to further mitigate the risk of Spectre.
But running other people's code is done everyday. Ad networks and other such third parties are examples of code end users do not explicitly consent for, but do run.
What you can achieve in lab environments, and what you can achieve in practice are two different things. There are even proof-of-concept examples where people have guessed the encryption key from a laptop by analyzing the electromagnetic noise and knowing exactly which instruction the CPU is executing at the same time. But in real life, attacks like this are just a theoretical possibility.

Browsers do indirectly run untrusted code on your CPU when interpreting the JavaScript from web pages. If someone were actually able to effectively dump targeted memory addresses this way, it would be of course very bad. But you have to remember that the vulnerabilities we are talking about here are not a bypass of security, it's information leakage with very sensitive timing. You may have to do many attempts to read a single memory address, and when it's read you can't be really sure if you got the right few bytes or not, so assembling anything from this will be not only time consuming, but be in many cases impossible since you can't verify that something is correct, unless it's plain text.

Low-level timing attacks should not be possible through JavaScript, but just to be sure Chrome and Firefox are patched to make it even harder, so anything that causes system calls is intentionally unpredictable.

I think you should worry about more relevant things, like having an updated and patched router with no known vulnerabilities.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
What's wrong with progress?

New CPUs are progress, new sockets are not, they are a hindrance.

There are two possibilities here, either Intel are inept and can't make future proof sockets or they are intentionally changing sockets for some other reason beyond a technical one. None of these two options could be called progress.

Last edited:
System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
What you can achieve in lab environments, and what you can achieve in practice are two different things. There are even proof-of-concept examples where people have guessed the encryption key from a laptop by analyzing the electromagnetic noise and knowing exactly which instruction the CPU is executing at the same time. But in real life, attacks like this are just a theoretical possibility.

Browsers do indirectly run untrusted code on your CPU when interpreting the JavaScript from web pages. If someone were actually able to effectively dump targeted memory addresses this way, it would be of course very bad. But you have to remember that the vulnerabilities we are talking about here are not a bypass of security, it's information leakage with very sensitive timing. You may have to do many attempts to read a single memory address, and when it's read you can't be really sure if you got the right few bytes or not, so assembling anything from this will be not only time consuming, but be in many cases impossible since you can't verify that something is correct, unless it's plain text.

Low-level timing attacks should not be possible through JavaScript, but just to be sure Chrome and Firefox are patched to make it even harder, so anything that causes system calls is intentionally unpredictable.

I think you should worry about more relevant things, like having an updated and patched router with no known vulnerabilities.
Though this is fully exact, running random people's code is something most end users do; it's not something that a select few does. You underlined "their code on your CPU", so I'm pointing that that is no rare situation.
Still, random attacks will try to break browsers security first before trying Spectre attack.

Last edited:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

right? I dont even get it, if you need more pins...why not make socket 2066 the standard...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

There are two possibilities here, either Intel are inept and can't make future proof sockets or they are intentionally changing sockets for some other reason beyond a technical one. None of these two options could be called progress.

Its additional money to force end users to switch.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Though this is fully exact, running random people's code is something most end users do; it's not something that a select few does. You underlined "their code on your CPU", so I'm pointing that that is no rare situation.
Still, random attacks will try to break browsers security first before trying Spectre attack.
Well, JavaScript is an interpreted language, and while it ends up as machine code running on your CPU, it's up to the JavaScript engine of your browser to generate this machine code. There have been hundreds if not thousands of nasty JavaScript engine bugs over the years, including many leading to accessing things outside the sandboxing. These are logical bugs where security is bypassed, and is of course a serious problem.

But as I said the CPU bugs we are talking about here are not bypassing security, but an information leak leveraged by a timing attack. Timing attacks become much harder when you can't directly control the machine code. These attacks work by tricking the privileged kernel code to read the data you want into a register, and then somehow accessing the CPU register from your unprivileged code within a few clock cycles later before something else overwrites it. I don't have time to teach you machine code, but in essence, CPU registers are mostly overwritten every few instructions, and high-level languages like JavaScript don't have any control over them, and just a few lines of high-level code may take hundreds of clock cycles to execute. So the only way to achieve this would require you to exploit undefined behavior of the JavaScript engine and somehow generate machine code where you end up reading a specific CPU register you are not supposed to at just the right time.
Edit: To make matters harder, modern JavaScript engines executes most functions async, so timing anything outside a few lines of dense code is very hard.

Last edited:
System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
This is the reason why I went with Threadripper and have no interest in AM4 or this new platform.
Precisely this. I'm planning to get the next threadripper. I want to be able to put a ton of SSD storage with the ability to add more as needed and not have to rely on slower sata speeds.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Well as an intel man overall. I am worried for Intels near future CPU´s. But even i this round will go AMD ryzen 3000 as intel´s offer is just not apealing to me and i am even starts joking on intel. That shut say a lot after i have been voting for intel the past 10-15 years. But the latest few years, Intel has been a joke. Not only with the 14 NM, but some of there releases before like
Intel® Core™ i5-7640X and Intel® Core™ i7-7740X on there HEDT platform, there prices on there HEDT CPU is a joke as well. There latest laptop releases on 10 and 14 NM cpu´s is gonna make a confusion or consumers as well. For not to forget there rushed lauch of 14, 16 ad 18 core cpu with there 7000 serie cpu´s. Intel lately has been a big mess. While AMD winning ground, intel is losing ground. That makes me sad, but it is the hard real story:( and you tell me to not worry...

dude you got an 11 year old system, Smmh!

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
dude you got an 11 year old system, Smmh!

Yeah i am well aware of that. Thats also why its time for an upgrade. My original plan is to get a intel 10 NM CPU, but given Intels 10 Nm problems and i am tired of waiting. I will be upgrading to Ryzen 3000 (waiting for ryzen 9 3950X to come out). Intels 14 NM release one after another is a joke and i will not finance Intels old 14 NM tech after so many years. They have used 14 NM for way to long.

Opinion not supported by historical evidence.
Opinion clearly based on feelings and bias instead of objectivity and fact.
Moderators, please clean up all the trolling posts in this thread.
I'll second this.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Edit: To make matters harder, modern JavaScript engines executes most functions async, so timing anything outside a few lines of dense code is very hard.

+1 - This is one of the trickiest things to understand about node.js/js and how it executes. You have to structure your code around async/await or promises but even then, anyone who successfully pulls of a real life hack using this exploit :

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Opinion not supported by historical evidence.

Fair enough, could you present said historical evidence against this ?

Opinion clearly based on feelings

If you need to put out a new socket, is not logical to assume that this happens either because of some technical limitation or because you seek to artificially kill existing platforms ? Explain how this is untrue.

You know, by just saying that I am wrong without providing any explanations, you're the one that looks 100% biased and driven solely by feelings. Don't shot yourself in the foot.

Last edited:
Fair enough, could you present said historical evidence against this ?
How about the release of every CPU generation made by AMD or Intel for the last two decades?
If you need to put out a new socket, is not logical to assume that this happens either because of some technical limitation or because you seek to artificially kill existing platforms ? Explain how this is untrue.
I don't need to. Those are assumptions made by YOU. They are factless, meritless accusations.
You know, by just saying that I am wrong without providing any explanations, you're the one that looks 100% biased and driven solely by feelings. Don't shot yourself in the foot.
Except that YOU made the accusations. YOU need to prove up, not me or even Intel.

If Intel is releasing a new line on CPU's that needs more data lines, requiring the need for a new socket type, that is their business plan. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Whining about your dis-satisfaction will not change their minds and assuming them of shady dealing without a shred of logic or evidence to back it up only makes YOU look like a fool.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I don't need to.

Then don't reply if you feel like you shouldn't explain yourself, or are incapable of doing so depending on the situation. This is not how this works, if you a problem with something, you state what you want to state and back up your reasoning. If you don't I have to assume you simply can't and I see no point in continuing the discussion.

If I made certain remarks and you feel like I haven't provided any proof then you don't get to say that I am wrong and claim that the burden of proof is still on me. Seriously, I would expect this level of argumentation from a 4th grader not a grown adult.

Low quality post by Wavetrex
Most attacks on the internet are in the shape of:

Click here to download video of {insert female celebrity name here} naked !

And what do you know, it works !
CPU is vulnerable indeed... the CPU inside user's head.

Ah well, sometimes news isn't really news at all. Intel just likes to make new junk I guess, necessary or not they make new stuff...

Maybe it's good and they'll drive their own prices down on the stuff they started selling...last week.

Ahhh, another new socket. Well, to be fair, we've had our two "generations" on the same socket, so it's time for a new one. :D

I wonder if it will still ultimately be the same socket but with different pin outs, just like 1151 on Z170/Z270 was going to Z370/Z390. It'll be interesting to see what Roman comes up with for this. :D

Low quality post by yotano211
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
My retirement account thanks all for buying AMD processors.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
How about the release of every CPU generation made by AMD or Intel for the last two decades?

I don't need to. Those are assumptions made by YOU. They are factless, meritless accusations.

Except that YOU made the accusations. YOU need to prove up, not me or even Intel.

If Intel is releasing a new line on CPU's that needs more data lines, requiring the need for a new socket type, that is their business plan. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Whining about your dis-satisfaction will not change their minds and assuming them of shady dealing without a shred of logic or evidence to back it up only makes YOU look like a fool.

and how does that proof new sockets are needed? AMD is doing fine improving while sticking to socket AM4.
Intel made plenty of processors on good old 775 that showed plenty of progress.

Soo you are wrong.

and on the last part, if that is truly your vision on how this all works then...why are you here? why are you trying to silence people with the argument that everyone should be silent while not being silent yourself so you can spread that message....
really you are just asking to have a comment section removed and lets be honest, you are only doing that because you are sad people arnt happy with the "progress" Intel seems to be making.
Just...take a look at yourself man.

(Also the EU has put down a pretty hefty fine on Intel for shady dealing so idk what evidence you want, heck you will probably just deny that as well as just being greedy EU or something. Just as long as your image of the world stays intact right? for what reason I dont know though, you are not Intel, you are not linked with the company, nothing bad the company does reflects poorly on you so why are you so hellbend on this fanboy act?)

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Deleted a lot of low quality posts...if you happen to notice your post/s being gone, it means I removed it and consider it as a warning

K!NG_OF- NOTH1NG

Mah FPSess will explode!

Behind ... in games.
Which, when you look at every modern game and essentially every game engine being built and coded on Intel CPU's that shouldnt be surprising.Although, unless you have 144, 240hz monitor therenothing more youre gonna gain. The AMD CPU's are the more impressive hardware and the more powerful. Even surpassing intel in a lot of single threaded workloads. I'm still on my 8700K. (I bought at launch and lucked out with it being able to do 5.2ghz daily) but I'm switching over to AMD if not with the 7 refresh, then with the release after. Not to mention using intel hardware at this point is a security hazard.

Low quality post by dj-electric
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Which, when you look at every modern game and essentially every game engine being built and coded on Intel CPU's that shouldnt be surprising.
That's nonsense. There is nothing to optimize for, they use the same ISA. Intel just happens to have a better CPU front-end and some lower latencies.

The good news for gaming is that the CPU only needs to be fast enough not to bottleneck the GPU. Intel is already past the point where current games gain any substantial average FPS, and while Intel will still hold the records, Zen 2 is getting close enough for most gamers.

I'm still on my 8700K. (I bought at launch and lucked out with it being able to do 5.2ghz daily) but I'm switching over to AMD if not with the 7 refresh, then with the release after.
Well, if your use case is gaming, there is no reason to replace your current CPU until it causes problems for you. An i7-8700K is going to be plenty for gaming for several years, unless you're doing heavy stream encoding etc. while playing. Save your money until you need an upgrade.

Not to mention using intel hardware at this point is a security hazard.
No more than AMD.