• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alleged Leaked Details on Intel Comet Lake-S Platform Require... You Guessed It... A New Platform

Then don't reply if you feel like you shouldn't explain yourself, or are incapable of doing so depending on the situation. This is not how this works, if you a problem with something, you state what you want to state and back up your reasoning. If you don't I have to assume you simply can't and I see no point in continuing the discussion.
The problem with your logic is that you are the one making accusations that Intel is doing something nefarious with the release of this new line of CPU's and sockets instead of simply making a technological advance. That means that YOU are the one that needs to provide evidence(which you are clearly not going to or you would have by now) because that's how that works. "Prove up or shut up" is what I believe the term is. Please do so.
Soo you are wrong.
See above. I am not and I don't need to do anything at all. Neither does Intel. Their making an advance, just like AMD did with the AM4 socket. It's a technological advance(are you people sensing a theme yet?) that supports another technological advance. The people bemoaning the new socket seem to forget that you don't own Intel, you not the engineers involved with the product advancement and you do not get to decide how the technology advances. See how that works?

Last edited:
System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
There are two possibilities here, either Intel are inept and can't make future proof sockets or they are intentionally changing sockets for some other reason beyond a technical one. None of these two options could be called progress.

The answer relies on socket 775. The last 2 strokes of netburst and the entire core 2 lineup on a single socket. You could have bought a cheap 945 mobo and have it for years before the cpu line up was dead, now imagine all the mobo makers giving heat to intel because cheap bastards who dared to be money wise almost didn't spent a penny for their cheap but effective pcs.

But with all the shit we are having on intel's part lately we could get some reparations. Come on, my 8700k was hit hard by the fucking exploits, at least a discount or an exchange with the fixes on hardware would be nice on their part, they have been amassing money like the little greedy goblins they are for more than 10 years and that would help me economically and them in PR. But no, let's roll another cliffhanger of the 10nm with a different socket, don't dare to think you can save your mobo.

I should have gone with amd this one.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
making accusations that Intel is doing something nefarious

I did not, you are making stuff up. I simply stated they may have other reasons besides technical ones and I was always adamant to mention this is a possibility not a certainty. Point me to the comment where I claim with absolute conviction that they must be doing some nefarious.

As I said, don't let your feelings get the better of you. I know you're here to protect your favorite company and that my remarks made you uncomfortable but at the very least don't put words in my mouth.

I did not, you are making stuff up.
Anyone who can read and understand context can see what you directly implied.
I simply stated they may have other reasons besides technical ones and I was always adamant to mention this is a possibility not a certainty.
And here's you admitting it, in the very same statement no less.
As I said, don't let your feelings get the better of you.
Ok.
I know you're here to protect your favorite company and that my remarks made you uncomfortable but at the very least don't put words in my mouth.
Oh yes, because you know me soo well. :rolleyes::kookoo:

We're done here. If you think Intel is doing something "iffy" with this new product release, prove it. Otherwise..

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
And here's you admitting it, in the very same statement no less.

Because stating a possibility must mean I am also making an accusation ? I must say, you are really revolutionizing the English language here and the meaning of it's words. And there you were talking about people who can read and understand context, you're a walking oxymoron buddy.

Because stating a possibility must mean I am also making an accusation ?
That's the general idea. But more importantly it was the vocabulary you used earlier in the thread.
I must say, you are really revolutionizing the English language here and the meaning of it's words.
Ad Hominem hyperbole.
And there you were talking about people who can read and understand context, you're a walking oxymoron buddy.
Here's an idea, go back to your earlier statements and re-read, stepping outside your own head while you do it.

We're now off topic and I'm out.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Here's an idea, go back to your earlier statements and re-read

I am definitely not the one who needs to do the reading here. English classes and dictionaries, those are needed here and not for me. No matter how much you'd like it to be the case you can't make stuff up on the spot and reinterpret things until they fit with your narrative, that's just straight up denial.

Or rather, you can, but it's worthless, as is any other attempt to question my understanding afterwards. I warned you to not shot yourself in the foot, you insisted to do just that.

About time.

Last edited:

Nkd

lol Q1 2020, and then AMD is suppose to release zen 3 mid next year as drop in upgrade? Hmm.

Plus is intel including a chiller with that CPU? I can only imagine the heat coming out of it given how hot the 9900ks already got.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
...still waiting..

And you shall wait indeed until you can properly understand what is being said. So don't get ahead of yourself asking for proofs of any kind when you showed you couldn't even comprehend what was going on.

Even if they stay PCIe 3.0, intel should increase the number of lanes at minimum... It's yet another generation that I will skip while my aging 4770K tries its best to keep my wallet shut... lol

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
I don't see any new logo for i9,sooo...
- these new CPU "up to 10 core" are i7 ?
- perform slightly better than 9900K with 2 extra cores, so no room left for i9 in the mainstream?
- send back i9 to HEDT?
- such a short lifespan for best gaming CPU.

Congratulation Intel, you now entering full bulldozer mode :D

I don't see any new logo for i9,sooo...
- these new CPU "up to 10 core" are i7 ?
- perform slightly better than 9900K with 2 extra cores, so no room left for i9 in the mainstream?
- send back i9 to HEDT?
- such a short lifespan for best gaming CPU.

Congratulation Intel, you now entering full bulldozer mode :D

or maybe this picture is just a part of Comet-Lake-S PR photos? maybe?
(yes, it is)

Stop taking everything you see in media too literally. for f&*k's sake.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
To be fair, with the way that Intel managed their socket, it's easy to think that they keep the number of pins on the edge on purpose, and isn't at all interested in making a platform that would work on several generation. They went from 1556 to 1555 to 1550 but then realised again that they needed one more pin and 1551 was born. Now they want to make a 10 core cpu, wich apparently needs 49 more pins, when AMD got enough leeway with their 1331 pins to make a transition from 8 core to 16 cores.

Last edited:
Case Cougar MG120-G
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
or maybe this picture is just a part of Comet-Lake-S PR photos? maybe?
(yes, it is)
Stop taking everything you see in media too literally. for f&*k's sake.

Indeed, conceivably. I handle leaks, rumour as its suppose to be, assumption.
So new badge actually for Ice Lake, no love for these Comet Lakes ? Are you not baffled by these stunts, marketing 2 different uArch under the same 10th Gen flag? :D
Either there's no i9 from Ice Lake or i9 from Comet Lake are on par with i7 Ice Lake :rolleyes:

Case Cougar MG120-G
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Go enjoy your non overclockable Ryzen Fail! 4.75mhz lolz!

Actually I am :D
No need to fiddling all days, delidding hundred dollar CPU and voiding warranty in process, put extra dollar for cooling, mambo jambo with "AVX offset", just plugged in let auto do the rest. I don't need more headache while running virtual machine.
Just come into my mind, if i7 8700K 6c12t had 3.7Ghz base, i7 9700K 8c 8t had 3.6Ghz base, could that be future i7 Comet Lake would be 10c10t 3.5Ghz base? :rolleyes:

From a consumer standpoint Intel should allow at least two generations[no refresh!] on same chipset, maybe even three, like the AMD did with ryzen series. That's a sweet spot of upgrade possibility with still bringing an up to date chipsets.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I really hope Comet Lake will regain some base clocks. I believe the reclining base clocks is a result of increasing core count while retaining TDP and node, and the node refinements haven't been enough to keep the base clocks up.

There have been engineering samples of Cascade Lake-X running at 4.0 GHz base, and I do believe it would be possible for Comet Lake-S as well if the cores are a little realigned.

Personally, I don't think the mainstream market needs more than 8 cores for now, even though AMD offers 12 and soon 16 cores. Making faster cores which scales well across fewer cores are more important for most real workloads. i9-9900K today struggles with throttling due to thermal density. With some tweaks, increased TDP to 125W, a sustained 4 GHz under multithreaded AVX load and sustained ~4.7 GHz under non-AVX loads could yield a ~5-10% performance increase without going beyond 5 GHz max boost, and that's without changing the architecture.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
snip

See above. I am not and I don't need to do anything at all. Neither does Intel. Their making an advance, just like AMD did with the AM4 socket. It's a technological advance(are you people sensing a theme yet?) that supports another technological advance. The people bemoaning the new socket seem to forget that you don't own Intel, you not the engineers involved with the product advancement and you do not get to decide how the technology advances. See how that works?

Honestly man.... I dont know what has gotten into you, maybe you have always been this way.
I dont mean to insult but the back and forths you are having in this thread, its like you are 12 years old, again, really not trying to insult here.

Take a step back and read it all again.

Now I dont really expect you to read all this, in fact I expect you to reply maybe with a retort on the "12 year old" thing and thats it, but Im going to try anyway, if only for the others here.

We dont own/control Intel, no.
If we did we would not be "bemoaning" as we would just change what they are doing....
Bemoaning obviously comes from a place of lesser power.

However:
This is a tech website, you know this.
This is the comment section of said tech website, you know this.
We are here to comment on the news the website reports, you know this.
These comments are often opinions we share about choices a company makes, you know this.
These opinions might be positive or negative towards the company, you know this.

In this case, I and many others here feel its ridiculous for Intel to (among other things) release yet another new socket, we are allowed to feel that way and express that as that is the sole purpose of the comment section, you know this.
We, the consumers Intel is making these products for, are not happy with this choice, we feel its not needed (again, what is wrong with just adapted socket 2066 that already exists?) and are probably not going to buy an Intel cpu for our next upgrade if they keep this up.
Its best for both us and the company to be aware of that.

Now Im not going to repeat what I typed in the previous comment I dont think you even read entirely, much like this one probably, but I will say again, your defense towards Intel is just really strange.
Its not objective, its not playing devils advocate, its more like a mother who does not really understand what is going on, trying to protect her child or something.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
new socket, why am i not surprised? and without other "advancements", again a real shocker, no doubt saving those additions for a rainy day.

There's a party in your pants all you Intel Fanbois from around the globe over this.

Honestly man.... I dont know what has gotten into you, maybe you have always been this way.
:rolleyes: I'm not the problem here.
I dont mean to insult but the back and forths you are having in this thread, its like you are 12 years old, again, really not trying to insult here.
You don't mean to insult, but you're going to anyway?
Take a step back and read it all again.
Way ahead of you..
Now I dont really expect you to read all this, in fact I expect you to reply maybe with a retort on the "12 year old" thing and thats it, but Im going to try anyway, if only for the others here.
OH, I'm with you. So far that 12 year old thing is going well.
We dont own/control Intel, no.
If we did we would not be "bemoaning" as we would just change what they are doing....
Bemoaning obviously comes from a place of zero power.
Fixed that for you.
However:
This is a tech website, you know this.
This is the comment section of said tech website, you know this.
With you so far, yes.
We are here to comment on the news the website reports, you know this.
These comments are often opinions we share about choices a company makes, you know this.
Commenting is one thing. Whining and bemoaning technological advances because YOU don't understand them is completely another.
These opinions might be positive or negative towards the company, you know this.
Hmm..
In this case, I and many others here feel its ridiculous for Intel to (among other things) release yet another new socket, we are allowed to feel that way and express that as that is the sole purpose of the comment section, you know this.
Feelings on this matter are as irrelevant as they are misinformed. Intel does not listen to the feelings of the general public. They care about providing a product line that is a measurable advancement from their previous product line. A new socket allows for that advance. This is how technology advancement works, has always worked and will continue to work.
We, the consumers Intel is making these products for, are not happy with this choice
Don't like it? That's your choice, but feelings aren't going to change anything.
we feel its not needed
That is because the need for the extra 49 pins is not understood by you.
(again, what is wrong with just adapted socket 2066 that already exists?)
Different product line and if you want one, go buy it. No one is stopping you.
and are probably not going to buy an Intel cpu for our next upgrade if they keep this up.
And there it is, your true voice. Vote with your wallet.
Its best for both us and the company to be aware of that.
Surely, Intel will take note...:rolleyes:
Now Im not going to repeat what I typed in the previous comment I dont think you even read entirely, much like this one probably,
How we doing on that, eh?
but I will say again, your defense towards Intel is just really strange.
I'm not defending Intel any more or less than I would defend AMD(or anyone else). No one whined and complained when AMD introduced socket AM4 and TR4. So why are you all complaining about a socket 1200 from Intel? Maybe instead of barking at me for pointing a commonly known attribute of the computer technology industry you all should go do some research and actually look at how often AMD/Intel have released new sockets. Just throwing it out there.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I'm not defending Intel any more or less than I would defend AMD(or anyone else). No one whined and complained when AMD introduced socket AM4 and TR4. So why are you all complaining about a socket 1200 from Intel? Maybe instead of barking at me for pointing a commonly known attribute of the computer technology industry you all should go do some research and actually look at how often AMD/Intel have released new sockets. Just throwing it out there.
so, uhh, how loooonnnggggg has it been since Intel's last socket? 6 months? 9 months? I forgot what I had for lunch yesterday.

Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
In the case of am4/tr4, am3+ was not only a very old platform using old standards, AM4/TR4 was also accompanied by the launch of cpu that had nothing to do with the old product and was noticeably better on all aspect.

Here it looks like a quick fix for something Intel wasn't prepared for...
I guess people are just tired of yet another 14nm++++ refinement, and want sunny cove already. I feel that this beomoning wouldn't have happened if comet lake was something really new.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
In the case of am4/tr4, am3+ was not only a very old platform using old standards, AM4/TR4 it was also accompanied by the launch of cpu that had nothing to do with the old product and was noticeably better on all aspect.

Here it looks like a quick fix for something Intel wasn't prepared for...
what old standards here? if they work as needed, its not old.

Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
what old standards here? if they work as needed, its not old.
The lack of nvme, pci 3.0, native usb 3.0 support... am3+ was stuck in the past for a long time, I doubt that people would have wanted to stay on their old boards even if there were somehow compatible with ryzen.