• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Unveils the SuperNOVA G5 Series Power Supplies

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The EVGA SuperNOVA G5 joins the elite ranks of the EVGA 80 PLUS Gold power supplies. As the successor to the award-winning G3 series, the G5 power supplies continue to push the envelope with the latest certifications and Intel power-on standards. Starting with 80 PLUS Gold certification, fully-modular cable design, 100% Japanese capacitors, and an ultra-quiet 135 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) fan with EVGA ECO mode, these power supplies are built for performance and silence.

Features
Gold rated efficiency
  • 80 Plus certification ensures your power supply isn't wasting power and turning it into excess heat. Under typical load, this power supply is 91% efficient or higher.
Active Clamp Design
  • The G5 power supplies also feature an active clamp circuit design, DC-to-DC converter, and active PFC to provide tight voltage regulation and low ripple and noise.
Fully Modular Design
  • • Use only the cables you need, reducing cable clutter and improving case airflow
100% Japanese Capacitors
  • Get the most reliability and greatest performance with the use of the highest possible quality Japanese Capacitors..
  • 100% Aluminium Solid State Capacitors on the Modular Board
  • Solid State Capacitors improve efficiency and reduce the impact of environmental factors after power is converted to DC, but before it leaves the power supply.
Ultra Quiet 135 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan with EVGA ECO Mode
  • The G5 features a larger fan than the G3 to reduce noise without increasing the size of the power supply.
To Protect and To Serve
  • This PSU will cover your circuits with complete protection: OCP, OVP, UVP, OTP, OPP, and SCP.
  • World leading EVGA warranty and support for 10 years.
For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Leadex III for US.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Wait, Where is G4 ?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Since G3 wasnt Leadex 3 platform, they skipped 4, also its something sinister about 4 in some countries.

Ricky Tsai

Leadex III for US.

Dear Customer,

This is Official Rep. from Super Flower.
We have to clarify here that EVGA SuperNOVA G5 series is not based on Super Flower Leadex III series.
Currently Leadex III is selling worldwide. If you are interested in our products, we are glad to recommend you to contact our distributors: Caseking, PC Case Gear, or other contact window near to your country.

Thank you for your support to Super Flower

Sincerely,
Super Flower Customer Support

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I recently bought the EVGA Supernova T2 850w Titanium, was on sale for $190. The Seasonic equivalent was $240 and both scored highly on johnnyGuru, so it was a no brainer for me. :D

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Ricky , its Leadex III rebranded and colored.

Ricky , its Leadex III rebranded and colored.

Leadex III for US.
No obviously not.
Just read the article, it's an FSP, the Active Clamp is a dead giveaway. If it was Super Flower it would use an LLC resonant converter design.

Dear Customer,

This is Official Rep. from Super Flower.
We have to clarify here that EVGA SuperNOVA G5 series is not based on Super Flower Leadex III series.
Currently Leadex III is selling worldwide. If you are interested in our products, we are glad to recommend you to contact our distributors: Caseking, PC Case Gear, or other contact window near to your country.

Thank you for your support to Super Flower

Sincerely,
Super Flower Customer Support
The good old Golden Green was still your most interesting product, because of the much lower price. Can't we get something like that again?

A 450W, 550W and 650W version which is ATX 2.52 compatible, uses a LLC + SR + DC-DC, 2BB/FDB fan, quite silent, flat black cables without caps in it, for let's say 60, 70 and 80 euro including VAT @ CaseKing. 650W should have 4 PEG connectors and two EPS connectors. Should be a good competitor for the BitFenix Formula Gold series. And when I look at what Cooler Master did with the MWE Bronze V2 series it should easily be possible, as they are even a lot cheaper.

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
"100% japanese capacitors"
can capacitors be 95% japanese?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
"100% japanese capacitors"
can capacitors be 95% japanese?

In the past some capacitors could be yes, you are wording it wrong is all. Multiple capacitors are individual units, so they could use some capacitors for certain parts of the PSU, and some companies cheap out on certain areas.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
EVGA Platinum 650 cost 126$ in DK, launch prize for this Gold was 129,99$
I am amused

System Name Lovely Milky Milky
Processor 7800X at 4GHz
Motherboard EVGA X299 FTW K
Cooling Custom milky loop
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz quad channel
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1080Ti SeaHawk EK X
Storage A-DATA 512GB M.2, 750GB Samsung SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD's
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved 144Hz 1440p
Case Aerocool Quartz Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seagate Snow Silent 750W
Mouse Fnatic Flick 2
Keyboard Drevo Blademaster TE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Big fan of the Supernova ranges, the big warranty is usually my cue to trust that supply

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
In the past some capacitors could be yes, you are wording it wrong is all. Multiple capacitors are individual units, so they could use some capacitors for certain parts of the PSU, and some companies cheap out on certain areas.
One capacitor can't but a collection of them sure can.

jeez, you guys missed the joke entirely

Since G3 wasnt Leadex 3 platform, they skipped 4, also its something sinister about 4 in some countries.
Yah that number is considered a bad luck number in some areas

it's an FSP, the Active Clamp is a dead giveaway.
Whaaaaaat ! All top tier EVGA PSU's were made in collaboration with super flower, why they parted ways now i wounder ....

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard ASRock z97 Extreme
Cooling NZST Kraken
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Storage Samsung 950 EVO
Display(s) 28'' Samsung
Case NZXT H700i
Power Supply EVGA 850G2
Yah that number is considered a bad luck number in some areas

Whaaaaaat ! All top tier EVGA PSU's were made in collaboration with super flower, why they parted ways now i wounder ....

A lot of manufacturers have been moving their production out of China because of the trade war. Likely because Super Flower's factories are still in China.

So this FSP platform is using active clamp design, where as the super flower uses an LLC resonant converter design.

My question is which is more preferable ?

Last edited:
So this FSP platform is using active clamp design, where as the super flower uses an LLC resonant converter design.

My question is which is more preferable ?
All manufacturers are using LLC resonant converter designs in their current more efficient products including FSP. FSP is the only one that uses Active Clamp Reset Forward in their power supplies. A PSU based on Active Clamp Reset Forward is much cheaper to make, you need less components, but the performance is also worse. Active Clamp Reset Forward is a good choice for a cheap low wattage PSU with high efficiency. The be quiet! Pure Power 11 400W is a good example of a PSU with Active Clamp Reset Forward which is worth buying for ~42 euro ex VAT.

This PSU probably won't be interesting, I expect it will be to expensive. It should be budget orientated, but I expect that EVGA is gonna sell it as a high end power supply.

Damn, I will be really pissed off, if this one truly is made by FSP. SuperNova GQ series is for FSP, using G5 is just to miss leading people to think it's made by SuperFlower as predecessors were. Well in all fairness the first Supernova NEX series were made by fsp too, and that might have been called G1:s old days.

All manufacturers are using LLC resonant converter designs in their current more efficient products including FSP. FSP is the only one that uses Active Clamp Reset Forward in their power supplies. A PSU based on Active Clamp Reset Forward is much cheaper to make, you need less components, but the performance is also worse. Active Clamp Reset Forward is a good choice for a cheap low wattage PSU with high efficiency. The be quiet! Pure Power 11 400W is a good example of a PSU with Active Clamp Reset Forward which is worth buying for ~42 euro ex VAT.

This PSU probably won't be interesting, I expect it will be to expensive. It should be budget orientated, but I expect that EVGA is gonna sell it as a high end power supply.
Thats good to know ,thank you for the informative respond, , i just checked the 650 watt version starts at 129$ ! not only its active clamp design but the bulk, hold up capacitor is just 330 uf is capacity, that's lower than most 650 gold rated PSUs in the market even a downgrade from the previous G3 made by super flower. Evga is doing some sneaky cost savings while charging same prices

Damn, I will be really pissed off, if this one truly is made by FSP. SuperNova GQ series is for FSP, using G5 is just to miss leading people to think it's made by SuperFlower as predecessors were. Well in all fairness the first Supernova NEX series were made by fsp too, and that might have been called G1:s old days.
FSP is an alright OEM, their problem is that their units performs slightly behind the competition while being priced the same and sometimes even more ( Hydro G pro )

Thats good to know ,thank you for the informative respond, , i just checked the 650 watt version starts at 129$ ! not only its active clamp design but the bulk, hold up capacitor is just 330 uf is capacity, that's lower than most 650 gold rated PSUs in the market even a downgrade from the previous G3 made by super flower. Evga is doing some sneaky cost savings while charging same prices
Wel an advantage of Active Clamp Reset Forward is that you use a much smaller hold-up capacitor. So a 330uF cap can still mean that the hold-up time is what it should be according to the ATX specification.

FSP is an alright OEM, their problem is that their units performs slightly behind the competition while being priced the same and sometimes even more ( Hydro G pro )
Not always, some FSP made be quiet! power supplies are decently priced. And in some Asian and Eastern Europe countries FSP some FSP's are a good choice. However in West Europe and North America FSP isn't really focused on the retail market.

Well the problem here is not the choice of FSP. FSP is a huge OEM, they shouldn't have any problem to make a better power supply then all SuperNova's from Super Flower. The problem here is that EVGA choose to use probably one of the cheapest 80PLUS Gold designs that FSP has.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
do who makes this power supply is it super flower or leadex or seasonic? im getting mixed messages here