• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
When I set all defaults, my single core boost hit the rated speeds. just doesn't say on the box only one core goes that speed.
Tested and verified using PiMod 32m. (Just had to reset all defaults and check my boot settings)
I swear it's been mentioned a half dozen times... lol...

..this has nothing to do with zen+. Nobody complained about zen+ and how it boosts. Thread title says 3rd gen.

But congrats on your cpu working as it should. I cant wait to say the same. :)

D

Deleted member 185158

I swear it's been mentioned a half dozen times... lol...

..this has nothing to do with zen+. Nobody complained about zen+ and how it boosts. Thread title says 3rd gen.

But congrats on your cpu working as it should. I cant wait to say the same. :)
Is this coming from the same guy that runs his Ryzen chips 90c+??
When manually tweak PBO, no single core boost. Needs to be bone stock.

I do confess, haven't a 3600X or higher here to test this issue with. Perhaps I'll land one sometime.

What does AMD say about it? Board makers? Polls and threads are only half the story.

AMD does not care, they are flying high. And it seems buyers don't know or care either. Ill remain the only one here not buying AMD this time, and will wait for INTEL's desk top chips next year.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
a lot to read here...

mobo default power settings has a lot to do here; no producer will set the default voltage properly especially for cpu's which auto-oc; in order to prevent instability they allow more power ,within the specs&limit without discrimination; if user has no skill to adjust correctly i don't see where is amd's fault

majority of users had no clue what to do , how to tweak etc... and for mobo producers is more important to be on the safe side which is also normal..

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
a lot to read here...

mobo default power settings has a lot to do here; no producer will set the default voltage properly especially for cpu's which auto-oc; in order to prevent instability they allow more power ,within the specs&limit without discrimination; if user has no skill to adjust correctly i don't see where is amd's fault

majority of users had no clue what to do , how to tweak etc... and for mobo producers is more important to be on the safe side which is also normal..
:roll:
Are you seriously calling this user error?
Whatever dude...
You clearly haven't bothered reading up on the issue at all then.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And how much is boost of R9-3900X on fabric frequency?
On all cores?
I decide to wait. For now I never made mistake for platform except when I bought Phenom AM3 instead i7-920 1136.
I believe decision to wait is good because I feel something will become obsolete soon, not just waiting newer hardware because performance.

That's Intel. Ryzen is a bit more complicated and I think the mobo makers are struggling to get it right.
So why doesn't AMD just help them? They've launched these CPUs with some specification, so they must have been able to build a reference system that worked as on the box.
Why is it so difficult for the second largest x86 maker to provide support for 10 motherboard manufacturers? It's a common cause.
Mobo makers don't have a choice - they have to launch a product even if it means reverse engineering a CPU.

I don't think I've ever heard of another high-profile company doing business like that. In most industries (surely automotive, financial) competitors go along with each other better than AMD does with its essential partners. Bonkers.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Jay(JayzTwocents) already addressed in one of his recent video's and I'm going to echo those conclusions. This is a problem created by the board makers, not AMD.
ah thanks i was about to mention that

Nah, AMD should fix this, by either getting those clocks on all boards, or changing what the box says. Otherwise it's just stupid.
it's not AMD to fix it ... it's the motherboard makers that should be. (although AMD could/should help them ... )

also .... remember when peoples used to disable Intel Turboboost? and now that's AMD that has a useless "max speed boost can reach under optimal situation" but "doesn't reach it because of no one give a damn about optimal situation" it's a freaking scandale? oh well ...

i remember that my 3.5ghz i5 6600K is advertised to boost to 3.9ghz
well nope Intel write :
"Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor
6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz"
wouldn't be an issue if it did boost at all ...

AMD could correct the issue indeed ... by putting a little "*" behind the turbo and write
"Max Turbo Frequency
Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and, if present, Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second."
like Intel does ... using their own term and techs in place of Intel's nomenclature, because their advertised speed is indeed the max they can reach ... but they can reach is in some case, thus is it wrongly advertised? if they can reach it only under specific situations? ... well, no ...

well at last i know i do not care about Boost ... (otherwise i would be sueing Intel for my 6600K but boost is useless versus manual OC ... and well AMD will bring that i have lost on my current CPU to me soon (tm))

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
A little snipped of information I just got. It would seem AMD doesn't have a solution to the problem yet, at least not one they've communicated to the board makers, so it might be some time before this is resolved, if it can be 100% resolved that is.

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
Too bad it does hit 100C at times, though, unless you throw a lot of cooling at it. And if you don't, you're stuck with allcore turbo's that are as 'low' as with AMD.

Its not that much greener on the blue side.
its green enough that im only %7 ipc behind with a 2014 chip that clocks higher than a brand new 7nm one while having almost equivelant ipc

ohhhh my, changing mobo would solve my issue ... crap why didn't i... oh wait ... i had a ASRock mobo for testing before the actual one i have ... and the OC loss even occurred during her time ...
just in case my 6600K is a 6600k my mobo is a Z170 the OC did work neatly, on both mobo, until the famous microcode update Intel pushed via WUpdate (by mistake probably .... but for me it's still not corrected )

as for the rest ... still laughing nonetheless ... the issue quoted here for AMD is meager compared to what i am seeing with Intel and the 6600K issue i have ...is the last drop
actually i'd be fuming for all the perf loss due to Spectre/Meltdown/name other mitigation .... in addition to the aforementioned issue :laugh:

at last i will look at my future R5 3600X or R7 3700/3800X boost clock as a "oh, it can go up to" ;) (specially with a 3600X since i would get it for 40chf/$ less than what the 6600K did cost at the time )
how much vcore did u use, i have a feeling u probably severely degraded your chip, 2nd gen 14nm parts shouldnt really be over 1.35v, if u used LLC at a high level that might have done it, then again i booted a g3258 at 1.6v 4.9ghz on air

Is this coming from the same guy that runs his Ryzen chips 90c+??
When manually tweak PBO, no single core boost. Needs to be bone stock.

I do confess, haven't a 3600X or higher here to test this issue with. Perhaps I'll land one sometime.
What...the...hell... does how hot I run Ryzen stress testing in overclocking have to do with anything? Manual PBO... huh?

Were you drinking? That post doesnt even make sense... o_O.

Last edited:
System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
:roll:
Are you seriously calling this user error?
Whatever dude...
You clearly haven't bothered reading up on the issue at all then.

i call it "error" ?; nope, you maybe , seems you haven't bothered to read my post , one btw...

average user don't really start to change settings in bios as either don't care, don't know.. or afraid to f.u. something... is this an "error" ?

So why doesn't AMD just help them? They've launched these CPUs with some specification, so they must have been able to build a reference system that worked as on the box.
Why is it so difficult for the second largest x86 maker to provide support for 10 motherboard manufacturers? It's a common cause.
Mobo makers don't have a choice - they have to launch a product even if it means reverse engineering a CPU.

I don't think I've ever heard of another high-profile company doing business like that. In most industries (surely automotive, financial) competitors go along with each other better than AMD does with its essential partners. Bonkers.
The problem is AMD also said "backwards compatibility" ~ remember that & how it caused a furor just before launch? Enter some el cheapo motherboard with questionable VRM & some guy trying to run his 3900x on it, boom - what do we know, sparks fly & AMD has Note 7 (8?) type lawsuit on their hands! I'm not sure how many cores on 3rd gen chips could sustain or reach their rated clocks, however looking at other (reputable) sources on the web it seems the problem is a bit more complicated than just ZOMG AMD lied again :ohwell:

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Who cares about single-core boost any more anyway? 4375MHz for 8 nanoseconds in a synthetic test or 4400MHz? It doesn't matter.

People buying expensive multi-core CPUs capable of running 16+ threads aren't interested in sub-1% single-threaded performance differences when 15/16ths of their CPU is idle.

Currently, my PC is running Windows 10 1903 and around 6 desktop apps with low CPU usage, four of which are idle in the background and my Task Manager states that 222 processes are running across 3000+ threads and my CPU load is at 3% spread across eight logical cores.

The concept of having just a single core active on a modern PC is hopelessly false. The only way it's possible is with a synthetic test that runs at highest priority and hogs all logical cores for itself, and then intentionally stalls all cores except one.

In the real world, those 3000+ threads are for the OS and applications I'm running. I want them to run smoothly and silently in the background and if that means my CPU only peaks at 4350MHz instead of the synthetic 4400MHz in a completely arbitrary and unrealistic test, then so be it. I've been witnessing similar behaviour from my Intel CPUs going back to the 2500K I bought. Yes, those hit the exact speeds but only because the steps between frequencies were so huge. They also rarely stayed at their max boost for significant periods, because even in the simpler days of Windows 7 the sheer number of threads the OS was running prevented any cores from going idle long enough to allow single-core boosting to happen.

AMD probably should have deducted 50MHz from their advertised speeds. It's too late now and haters gonna hate but it's hardly a secret that peak boost is an unrealistic scenario, that's how the CPU scene has played things for a decade now.

In time, TSMC's 7nm yields may improve, and a greater percentage of processors will briefly and meaninglessly exceed the arbitrarily-chosen, peak, synthetic, single-core clockspeed. In the meantime, just use your CPU and be happy with it, regardless of what colour box it came in. Windows will never leave your 'idle' cores alone so you're never going to come within 100MHz of the advertised single-threaded peak clock regardless.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
When everyone else will do the same. As far as they're concerned they just do what everyone else does, Nividia sold FE Pascal cards that were advertised to have a certain boost clock but they all ran pretty much at the base clock after 5 minutes under load.

When did that happen? AFAIK, all the FE cards were able to maintain their advertised boost clocks under load. They lowered from the maximum boost clocks, but maintained the advertised boost clocks.

Remember, nVidia cards boost significantly past their advertised boost clocks. I can't remember a time when AMD products ever boosted past the advertised boost clocks.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
"he has found out that a majority of the 3000 series Ryzen CPUs are not hitting their advertised boost speeds."

This is exactly the conclusion you CANNOT draw from this. This sample is biased and the testing is uncontrolled - extending the conclusion to the whole population of Zen 2 CPUs is stupid (if you don't understand what's wrong) or dishonest (if you don't care).

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
When did that happen? AFAIK, all the FE cards were able to maintain their advertised boost clocks under load. They lowered from the maximum boost clocks, but maintained the advertised boost clocks.

Remember, nVidia cards boost significantly past their advertised boost clocks. I can't remember a time when AMD products ever boosted past the advertised boost clocks.

No, they didn't.

An FE 1080 for example was advertised to have a boost clock of 1733mhz but you can look at various reviews that under load it would drop well below that. There was no "maximum" just this one "boost clock". What it means, well be my guest, it's certainly not a maximum nor a minimum though. That's for sure.

In addition to that one can say AMD doesn't have full control over cooling, power delivery and whatnot but Nvidia did, they knowingly shipped cards with the sort of cooling that wouldn't support those boost clocks all the time. And don't get me wrong, AMD does the same for their GPUs. The point is no one is truthful with their boost clocks, there is always caveat, so either everyone is right or no one is.

No one cared though, because it's all about expectations not how truthful you are.

Last edited:
Look I am not debating about people not hitting their boost clocks. I am 25mhz below so you could count me in. But if you are after stats he should know better given how respectable he is. That is a very skewed result.

there are so many missing factors in there it’s hardly factual.
Like throwing away things he didn’t even ask for in the survey. Also what were the users using to monitor the boost clocks?

I do think thus has a lot to do with bios tweaks. Which AMD needs to sort out with mobo manufacturers.
He gave all the info needed on how to do the test. Did you even watch his previous vid?

Spot on. Though NVIDIA doesn't list max boost clocks AFAIK.

The boosts listed for the cards are a minimum boost. Typically boosting 100-200 MHz higher in normal gaming operations (so long as limits aren't hit and temperatures are kept under their throttling point of 84C (or w/e it is).

....and the list goes on.

If anyone has a link to a review where these drop below the minimum boost and isn't running furmark and not pegged at 84C/temp limit.......please post it up.

probably because it's a "can reach" boost frequencies ... that some of us don't care about the "OH GOD THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE! THEY LIED!"

it's less an issue that what i mentioned above ... (aka a 6600K that can't OC anymore ... heck he doesn't even boost and stay at 3.9ghz lately ... ) or performance loss due to mitigation patch applied for security issues ...

They dug themselves into this mess. 1 week before launch they released this vid. Now imagine how many people pre-ordered their cpu's based on these what if's?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yup, that was misleading.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
No, they didn't.

An FE 1080 for example was advertised to have a boost clock of 1733mhz but you can look at various reviews that under load it would drop well below that. There was no "maximum" just this one "boost clock". What it means, well be my guest, it's certainly not a maximum nor a minimum though. That's for sure.

In addition to that one can say AMD doesn't have full control over cooling, power delivery and whatnot but Nvidia did, they knowingly shipped cards with the sort of cooling that wouldn't support those boost clocks all the time. And don't get me wrong, AMD does the same for their GPUs. The point is no one is truthful with their boost clocks, there is always caveat, so either everyone is right or no one is.

No one cared though, because it's all about expectations not how truthful you are.

Exactly. The only GUARANTEED speed is the base clock. If you can't reach that, something is wrong.
Boost is opportunistic, regardless of whether we're talking about CPUs or GPUs, and regardless of whether it's a red, green, or blue logo on the product.
They dug themselves into this mess. 1 week before launch they released this vid. Now imagine how many people pre-ordered their cpu's based on these what if's?
No, that's specifically about PBO overclocking using top-tier motherboards and comes clearly emphasised with the words "might" and "maybe". The dude even slows down and stresses those words, making it clear to anyone with functioning braincells that is it NOT A GUARANTEE you will get those speeds.

How can people not understand the Silicon Lottery and concept of Overclocking by now?
De8auer's takes the time and effort at the start of the video to very clearly explain that he threw out all of the PBO and PBO+ results and only looked at bone-stock submissions. Don't go bringing PBO+ overclocking into this discussion, it's a strawman argument that isn't remotely helping.

Last edited:

Wait for it.................wait..........for.............it...

Jebaited.

So, how many users have been able to overclock (it isn't overclocking unless you are going past the box specs, be it by clockspeed or core count for clockspeed) past the PBO value (which many/most can't reach)? I've literally only seen a few.

EDIT: "Suddenly, its 4.75 GHz......" that cracked me up.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Apparently overclocking should also be guaranteed now and you should be hanged if you dare say your CPUs may be able to overclock past their nominal clocks out of the box.

The lengths to which people would go to in order to come up with shit just to argue against a brand are staggering.

System Name Computer
Processor Intel Core i9-9900kf
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling MSI MPG Coreliquid K360
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4070 DUAL OC
Storage A Bunch of Sata SSD and some HD for storage
Display(s) Asus MG278q (main screen)
No, they didn't.

View attachment 130861

The title of the picture you used is "Average Clockspeeds", and the "Max Boost Clock" line indicate 1898mhz, far above 1733. So unless there are more informations in the article it come from, it doesn't prove that the 1080 didn't at least reached 1733mhz in every game tested at some point. In the case of AMD, it seems to me (i don't have one so it's just based on previous posts) that some peoples can never reach the advertised boost clock.