• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Issues Statement on Low Ryzen 3000 Boost Clocks, BIOS Update Soon

I am quoting debaurs survey data which was on the tpu front page. There is another thread talking about just that. You can argue against his methodology and data, but I am quoting a legitimate source.
And that's about as relevant as the grounds on which AMD settled their latest lawsuit. Which is to say that if you confine the argument to a set of variables which probably don't even represent a quarter of the (whole) set (or less than 1% of all users) then sure, we can all claim whatever we want to.

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
It
It is definitely misleading because 80% of people think all cores are going 5.0 GHz

The Bulldozer is no different that Intel's Hyperthreading hypocracy. 90% of people think Threads are actual cores and that's why Intel made them at first and lied misleaded 100 of millions of people

And AMD isn't stating the same things in their spec sheets? Base and boost? It's the same thing, the only difference is you can get 5ghz on all those cores on the i7 and the i9's if you're lucky enough, Intel tends to put quite a nasty gap between the base and the boost clock to be fair but that's another story. About Hyperthreading, I really don't know where you get your info from but it's not that ok, basically you're saying that it's Intel's fault for AMD getting smacked by a class action lawsuit? Please....

I dont recall a soul mentioning performance loss due to 100 mhz single core.. if so, they are misinformed as to the difference it actually means.
1 guy cancelled his 3900X order because of this and wrote he waits for the next Intel HEDT. :D After that AMD responded by fixing this next week. Hope he reconsiders his purchase. :) I'm also curious if he cancelled his GTX 970 purchase because of the 3,5 GB issue (which in most cases didn't cause fps loss). Remember how NV handled that situation? As far as I remember, they denied the problem and after it was obvious it existed, they issued a statement.

And AMD isn't stating the same things in their spec sheets? Base and boost? It's the same thing, the only difference is you can get 5ghz on all those cores on the i7 and the i9's if you're lucky enough, Intel tends to put quite a nasty gap between the base and the boost clock to be fair but that's another story. About Hyperthreading, I really don't know where you get your info from but it's not that ok, basically you're saying that it's Intel's fault for AMD getting smacked by a class action lawsuit? Please....
Most people think that all cores can Simultaneously/together reach max boost. This is where actual and intentional misleading happening.
And yes it's so sad to see AMD getting sued for making a horrible CPU like Bulldozer while Intel gets away with fooling the people with fake cores that even four or eight of them can't give a performance of a real core

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
Most people think that all cores can Simultaneously/together reach max boost. This is where actual and intentional misleading happening.
And yes it's so sad to see AMD getting sued for making a horrible CPU like Bulldozer while Intel gets away with fooling the people with fake cores that even four or eight of them can't give a performance of a real core

Dude it's the same moniker AMD uses, for each core there's 2 threads....
Furthermore the boost clock works the same way for both companies, neither of them advertise all core boost at least not anymore and I can see the logic behind it, it's mainly to avoid the average Joes that find out eventually that single threaded applications tend to load x number of cores and if said Joe sees that only 1 or 2 cores boosts to let's say 4.7 while the rest being baseclock, well, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Intel ain't getting away with murder, they've done scummy things yes, but all those scummy things are approved by regulators and guess what that doesn't break any laws. What makes sense for you as an end user doesn't have to make sense for the entities running a business, that's why we have rules that won't apply to us plebs but they apply to the company and vice-versa. You as an end user get exactly what you pay for, it's not AMD nor Intel's job to educate you on how to google a CPU that you're interested in. IF company X offers you a product at a cheaper price than company Y that would imply that they can still rake in a profit and grab market share, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts and they shouldn't as it's a business not a charity.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
1 guy cancelled his 3900X order because of this and wrote he waits for the next Intel HEDT. :D After that AMD responded by fixing this next week. Hope he reconsiders his purchase. :) I'm also curious if he cancelled his GTX 970 purchase because of the 3,5 GB issue (which in most cases didn't cause fps loss). Remember how NV handled that situation? As far as I remember, they denied the problem and after it was obvious it existed, they issued a statement.
I don't recall them denying the issue either. They said what it is...4GB... 3.5GB normal speed, 512MB slow... and who cares about Nvidia here anyway???

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
really doesn't count.

Actually it does, that proves it's not the workload as much as it is the temperatures/power or something else. Even if you let it do nothing you can still have other environmental factors affecting the clock speed.

All of those dozens of pages of people complaining just want to see the clock speed, it seems to me, well there it is. This is a visual thing more than everything else, measuring performance between 4.550 Ghz and 4.6 Ghz is within margin of error.

This fix will likely not affect anything with regards to the end user experience, it'll be a cosmetic change.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
And that's about as relevant as the grounds on which AMD settled their latest lawsuit. Which is to say that if you confine the argument to a set of variables which probably don't even represent a quarter of the (whole) set (or less than 1% of all users) then sure, we can all claim whatever we want to.
There are many people on tpu who have this problem, and I am one of them. AMD has admitted there is a problem.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
So no reaction when Intel lies about boost clock

If they did that, hell yes a reaction. Same as this one.

Issue being, AFAIK, Intel hasn't lied about boost clocks yet. Unsure what you are trying to show me here, but that isn't Intel making those claims.

It is definitely misleading because 80% of people think all cores are going 5.0 GHz

If Intel advertises base clocks clearly and indicates that 5Gh is single core boost (they do) then those people need to read the box. You can't blame Intel there.

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210