• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA Detailed, Fixes Zen2 Boost Issues

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
To be fair, 200mhz out of 4400+mhz isn't enough to make a big deal about. That's less than 5%.

Doesn't matter... it should do what it says on the box, simple as that. If it says 4.6GHz boost, it should boost to 4.6GHz on at least 2 cores even if it only holds it for a single second.

My 0.25$: This whole boost thing got a bit out of hand... Not to say something was not 100% OK with the boost algorithm, but most people experiencing wierd boost behavior is like 30% AMD, 20% user settings and 50% of MB vendors doing wierd stuff with their own tweaks to EDC, PPT and TDC behavior in their BIOS code ending up with clocks all over the place... Just like ASUS turning on MCE along with XMP, but that might have been already fixed.

Just waiting for asrock taichi version to come out

Great Tech Merlin may I have a question regarding that mobo? How are PCH temps with a graphics card in place in considering the fan placement on the board just under the first PCIe x16?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
And you base this on running a Xeon rig? Seriously?

So AMD fixes the issue, yet all the Intel Fanboi's are here slinging mud... :banghead:
I'm not slinging mud. I'm moaning that the fix is pointless because there was no issue in the first place. The net result of this AGESA patch is that the cores are pushed harder than before, and as a result they are generating heat faster than before. All other things being equal - that means they'll hit their power/temp/cooling equilibrium sooner so the steady-state, minimum boost will occur earlier.

And yes I have Xeons. I have a whole goddamn server room, 60+ node CPU compute farm, 200+ node GPGPU compute farm and access to around 2000 different machines spanning multiple disciplines, generations, vendors, purposes and price brackets. It's my job to select the best hardware and software for specific purposes, test it, and then buy that hardware in bulk for multiple companies. I have contacts in AMD, Intel, and Nvidia and haven't missed a SIGGRAPH or Computex in almost a decade.

I don't know how I can state this any more clearly; I am vendor agnostic. I want the best solution regardless of who makes it. I do not like marketing spin, because I don't get paid for marketing spin. I get paid for actual real-world results and that means I need performance/$ and no-nonsense approaches to everything. Yes, I am biased. I am biased AGAINST BS and AGAINST shilling, because that makes my job harder. I enjoy tech as a hobby and gaming enthusiast, but first and foremost I need to understand all of the tech because my livelihood is financed by it.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
He did try to pass it as such. Roman in his video said he filtered out the "noise". How is that even possible when their wasn't a validation process for the survey. Anyone could fill in the survey with no proof at all.
He did not try to pass it as such. Filtering out the noise in this case would be removing bad data so that the information becomes clearer. Filtering out the noise is a way to try and improve data quality.

He was very clear that he had data quality issues. He was very clear that his methodology was flawed. He did as scientific an analysis as he could given the data he collected.

Even though I think it was clear, it seems it wasn't enough for everyone to understand that.

... the fix is pointless because there was no issue in the first place.
AMD said there was a bug. Are you saying AMD was wrong?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
AMD said there was a bug. Are you saying AMD was wrong?
AMD said there was a bug in order to shut people up and the fix appears to be to just jam more voltage through the chips so that more of them hit the "up to" boost clocks than currently.

I suspect the AGESA version has two fixes rolled into one:
  1. Workarounds for poor vendor implementations in popular motherboard BIOSes because those vendors haven't got it right yet. This applies to those chips that were hundreds of MHz short of the boost clock and locked at specific frequencies. The onus is on the motherboard BIOS vendor to fix their broken BIOS but AMD can patch around a bad BIOS just as AMD/Nvidia GPU drivers can patch around bad game engine coding. Yes, this is a bugfix. It shouldn't be necessary but AMD are fixing bugs that Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/Asrock/EVGA haven't because this issue has enough press coverage that it has become more their problem than the motherboard vendors' problem.

2. Increased voltage. Der8auer's survey showed that the number of people achieving the max boost clocks wasn't great - with the vast majority of chips falling 50MHz or 25MHz short. This extra voltage allows all of those 'almost there' chips to hit that exact, round-number 4.4/4.5/4.6GHz. Even if they were already doing that to the nearest significant figure. My only regret with this approach is that in fixing the peak clockspeed they seem to have hurt the overall performance. This image shows that despite the peak being momentarily higher at the very start of the test, the steady-state single-thread clockspeed is 25MHz lower for the vast bulk of the graph because the extra voltage hurts performance when the chips are temperature limited. This image shows that the voltage boost causes the chips to hit that temperature limit faster. So yes, the people whining that they were 50MHz short are now happy but the end result is that everyone's chips are now over-volted that little bit more, and hotter and slower overall because of it.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
He did not try to pass it as such. Filtering out the noise in this case would be removing bad data so that the information becomes clearer. Filtering out the noise is a way to try and improve data quality.

He was very clear that he had data quality issues. He was very clear that his methodology was flawed. He did as scientific an analysis as he could given the data he collected.

You can filter out as much as you want the data and make sure you use the right methodology, it all amounts to nothing. The problem is not with the analysis, it's with the data. Everyone must eventually understand that asking people over the internet what a sensor reads it's the worst way you can go about to do this sort of thing.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
For the billionth time, NO. It's within AMD spec. Can people PLEASE stop commenting about the 1.5V already?

And it seems the cores are hitting even higher boosts given a bit of time.

View attachment 131571

And you base this on running a Xeon rig? Seriously?

So AMD fixes the issue, yet all the Intel Fanboi's are here slinging mud... :banghead:
That is what Intel fan babies do.

I don't know how I can state this any more clearly; I am vendor agnostic. I want the best solution regardless of who makes it. I do not like marketing spin, because I don't get paid for marketing spin. I get paid for actual real-world results and that means I need performance/$ and no-nonsense approaches to everything. Yes, I am biased. I am biased AGAINST BS and AGAINST shilling, because that makes my job harder. I enjoy tech as a hobby and gaming enthusiast, but first and foremost I need to understand all of the tech because my livelihood is financed by it.
Well said. Right there with you, though in a different part of the industry.

That is what Intel fan babies do.
No it's a real problem. 1.5v will do bad things to 7nm circuit pathways at room temperature. Electron migration and migation become very real problems at that voltage.

Even though I think it was clear, it seems it wasn't enough for everyone to understand that.

Of course his data was flawed. Anyone could fill out the survey with what ever he/she intended and fill it out multiple times. Roman never addressed that issue. All one had to do is click a few options (4), name a MB and that was it. Nothing was checked ever!!! no proof that the submitees had the hardware or complied with his instructions at all.

He used it as a soap-box. Good or Bad.

He has CaseKing as a resource. He could of done actual controlled testing in the 10 days he had the survey open.

Well said. Right there with you, though in a different part of the industry.

No it's a real problem. 1.5v will do bad things to 7nm circuit pathways at room temperature. Electron migration and migation become very real problems at that voltage.
PROOF. That's the most ubsurd thing I have ever heard. Room temp is like 26c. Secondly- the amount of voltage is not nearly as important as the power draw. Single thread w\ a millisecond of a .2 increase in volts is going to do ZERO to electron migration. You people are NOT even seeing the real time figures yet. Until AMD releases the new monitoring SDK.

Stop the madness.

Wonder what all those “This is fine” AMD fanboiz gonna say now.

Told you so. ;)
Just because we knew it was no big deal we also knew it would be addressed by AMD. Fine wine baby....fine wine. ;)

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
This extra voltage allows all of those 'almost there' chips to hit that exact, round-number 4.4/4.5/4.6GHz.
I already had you on my ignore list, so it is totally my fault that I am in this stupid argument with someone who doesn't understand what is going on. I know you don't understand because of this one little statement. It is a hard wall that these chips hit that is preventing them from getting to those advertising boost clocks. More voltage doesn't fix that the chip hits a wall at some arbitrary point.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I though the Agesa was released just for the board vendors, and the implementation into BIOS updates could take up to the 30th September. Is the Agesa available through AMD? Can you clarify where you got it from?
See my first post in this thread.

Am I the only one that installs the cpu, slaps in 3200 CL14, and just uses the PC as is?
You don't even set the correct memory speed in the UEFI? :roll:

I doubt anyone would care if someone mentions their cpu died after 6+ years of use tbh.

one sided. If this was an Intel issue, you wouldn't be saying that. you would care if your cpu died in 6 years. I personally am not falling for amd's hype right now, but i would like a new system, as I am using a workstation that just turned 8 years old, but works like new. An old Intel i7, with a second gen plextor SSD, back when they were one of the best. Next year when amd had newer, and intel finally comes out with Tiger Lake, ill evaluate both, and buy a new laptop with either, and a new work station, but personally, I do care if my cpu lasts, and I know plenty of people who care also.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
My AMD K6-2 @450Mhz still runs fine. What’s your point exactly?

Are you implying that AMD cpus are not as well made?
No, the exact opposite, that AMD knows what they are doing and they are not going to push an update that reduces their CPU lifespan, and that ZoneDymo's insinuation that nobody cares if a 6 year old CPU cooks itself due to vendor BIOS is hilariously wrong.

Glad to see the entire community took my comment the wrong direction. Made perfect sense to me.....

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Next one :

ABBAB

or

ABBAA

?

Physics. Look into it.
Secondly- the amount of voltage is not nearly as important as the power draw.
Glad you mentioned that because even at the relatively low power draw of 65w, at 1.5v that's alot of amps to run through such small pathways. More wattage, more power drawn.
Single thread w\ a millisecond of a .2 increase in volts is going to do ZERO to electron migration.
Your understanding of electronics clearly needs improvement.

Nkd

Doesn't matter... it should do what it says on the box, simple as that. If it says 4.6GHz boost, it should boost to 4.6GHz on at least 2 cores even if it only holds it for a single second.

My 0.25$: This whole boost thing got a bit out of hand... Not to say something was not 100% OK with the boost algorithm, but most people experiencing wierd boost behavior is like 30% AMD, 20% user settings and 50% of MB vendors doing wierd stuff with their own tweaks to EDC, PPT and TDC behavior in their BIOS code ending up with clocks all over the place... Just like ASUS turning on MCE along with XMP, but that might have been already fixed.

Great Tech Merlin may I have a question regarding that mobo? How are PCH temps with a graphics card in place in considering the fan placement on the board just under the first PCIe x16?

lol. So even though amd boost says max boost and max boost has always been single core. You want it to boost to two cores because that what you think it should do even though box doesn't say it? hmm lol.

Gigabyte beta UEFI's here.

And yes, it fixes the issue and then some. Prior to this release, my highest boost speed was admittedly already 4,525MHz, but those same cores, now boosts an additional 50MHz.

Whats up with your chipset fan temps?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I simply don't understand that it can excite people like that. When you buy a new car you are told that it can run 25km on a liter, but in reality it can only drive 23km. Should we all have new engine in or, every man accepts the 23 km on a liter.

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Clockspeeds are up slightly but boost degrades faster because temperature limits are hit faster.

The net result is probably that overall performance is about the same, but people who wanted their round numbers in synthetic benchmarks will stop whining.

For some (probably Intel shill-invoked reason) 4475 MHz peak and 4350MHz averaged over 300 seconds caused uproar because 4475MHz isn't exactly 4.5GHz.
Now we're going to get 4500MHz or even 4525MHz peak and 4250MHz averaged over 300 seconds and everyone is happy.

Same chip, just running a little hotter and a little less efficiently.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd gladly sacrifice some transient peak value for a higher long-term average clockspeed and lower temperatures.
3.5 Isn't exactly 4GB, No?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I simply don't understand that it can excite people like that. When you buy a new car you are told that it can run 25km on a liter, but in reality it can only drive 23km. Should we all have new engine in or, every man accepts the 23 km on a liter.

Again, this analogy is flawed, as there are too many variables involved when it comes to cars.
Also, no-one asked for a new engine, as this was a simple fix from AMD's side, as clearly proven.
I've not seen too much feedback from others, but in my case, it more than resolved the issue.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
You trolling? Or is that like some Nvidia reference?
I believe that's the reference to 970. Except I doubt that anyone sane would defend NV in that case.