• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Brings Revolutionary Software Innovation to PCIe Gen4 SSDs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has brought the latest software innovations to the company's most cutting-edge PCIe Gen4 solid state drive (SSD) series, opening up a new paradigm in SSD performance.

"We are combining breakthrough speeds and capacities with revolutionary software solutions as we accelerate expansion in the premium SSD market," said Kye Hyun Kyung, executive vice president of Memory Solution Product & Development at Samsung Electronics. "We plan to introduce additional innovation led by our most advanced (sixth-generation) V-NAND in helping to trigger a lot more growth in the global IT market."

3 software innovations create new paradigm for ultra-high-capacity datacenter SSDs
The three software innovations include: 1) 'fail-in-place (FIP) technology' that ensures a 'never-die' SSD, 2) 'virtualization technology' that provides independent virtual workspaces for multiple users, and 3) 'V-NAND machine learning technology' that utilizes big data to accurately verify data validity even when operating at ultra-high speeds.

Samsung's FIP technology marks a new milestone in the 60-year history of storage by ensuring that SSDs maintain normal operation even when errors occur at the chip level, enabling a never-dying SSD for the first time in the industry. In the past, failure in just one out of several hundred NAND chips meant having to replace an entire SSD, causing system downtime and additional drive replacement cost. SSDs integrated with Samsung's FIP software can detect a faulty chip, scan for any damage in data, then relocate the data into working chips. For instance, if a fault is identified in any of the 512 NAND chips inside a 30.72 TB SSD, the FIP software would automatically activate error-handling algorithms at the chip level while maintaining the drive's high, stable performance.

Samsung's SSD virtualization technology allows a single SSD to be subdivided into a maximum of 64 smaller SSDs, providing independent, virtual workspaces for multiple users. Leveraging this software, cloud storage providers can extend their services to a greater number of users with the same amount of resources for optimized product competitiveness. The virtualization technology also enables SSDs to take on some of the virtualized tasks typically carried out by the server CPUs, such as Single-Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV), requiring fewer server CPUs and SSDs, thereby reducing the server footprint for enhanced overall IT efficiency.

The company's V-NAND machine learning technology helps to accurately predict and verify cell characteristics, as well as detect any variation among circuit patterns through big data analytics. This ensures superior data reliability as increasing SSD speeds pose a challenge in reading and verifying data through the extremely rapid voltage pulses. An SSD built with over 100-layer four-bit NAND, which requires considerably more precise cell control than three-bit NAND, is able to generate the higher levels of performance, capacity and reliability needed in server and datacenter storage systems with the machine learning software.

Today's highest-performing NVMe SSDs - Samsung PM1733 & PM1735
Samsung began mass production of its next-generation PCIe Gen4-based PM1733 and PM1735 SSDs last month with twice the speed of the Gen3 SSDs, leveraging on the company's three core software technologies. The 12.8 TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD (PM1735), for example, offers nearly 14 times the sequential performance of a SATA-based SSD, with 8 GB/s for read operations and 3.8 GB/s for writes. Random speeds measure at 1,450,000 IOPS for reads and 260,000 IOPS for writes. Furthermore, the PM1733 offers single and dual-port options to support server and storage applications, as well as multi-stream writes and SR-IOV.

The two NVMe SSD series are offered in 19 models and come in two form factors - 2.5-inch (U.2) and HHHL (card-type) - with capacities ranging from 0.8 TB to 30.72 TB to suit the diverse needs of OEMs worldwide. The drives also ensure endurance of one or three drive writes per day (DWPD) over a five-year period.

Samsung plans to soon expand the application of its innovative software technologies into a much wider array of server and datacenter SSDs to actively address global customers' needs and further strengthen its edge in the premium memory market.

Reference: Samsung PCIe Gen4 SSD lineup

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

And so it really begins. I can't see the consumer products based on this technology soon. Hopefully we will get to see them by CES 2020.
Nice.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
So, for a 30.72TB SSD, that's write endurance of 164.25 Petabytes or ~5.3Petabytes for a 1TB SSD and would translate to ~5500 full P/E cycles. 3 DWPD isn't too shabby.
The drives also ensure endurance of one or three drive writes per day (DWPD) over a five-year period.
Question, is it 1 or is it 3. It's not both. 3 is pretty good, 1 is pretty meh.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

It's stated in the added pic.

PM1733 is 1 and PM1735 is 3.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
nice that they are striving to push the limits of the tech,
but
but
but

The REAL question is: just how much is all of this revolutionary innovation gonna cost us ??

Betta get your kidneys, left arms, both legs, sister's dog, and your Banker's Platinum cards ready :eek:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
For the life of me I can't understand what FIP does. We've had "bad sectors" since we've had HDDs and SSDs use overprovisioning precisely to move data when cells start to die. So what exactly is new about FIP?

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
For the life of me I can't understand what FIP does. We've had "bad sectors" since we've had HDDs and SSDs use overprovisioning precisely to move data when cells start to die. So what exactly is new about FIP?
This technology appears to handle loss of a whole nand chip. Usual methods handle degradation of nand cells in the chip.

Reactions: bug

Space Lynx

Astronaut
nice that they are striving to push the limits of the tech,
but
but
but

The REAL question is: just how much is all of this revolutionary innovation gonna cost us ??

Betta get your kidneys, left arms, both legs, sister's dog, and your Banker's Platinum cards ready :eek:

I can't really tell the difference between my SSD laptop and my NVME laptop. /shrug lol it's not worth it unless you have workloads, for gamers, I just use SSD myself.

So, for a 30.72TB SSD, that's write endurance of 164.25 Petabytes or ~5.3Petabytes for a 1TB SSD and would translate to ~5500 full P/E cycles. 3 DWPD isn't too shabby.

For SATA connectivity I still think the 850 Pro and 860 Pro drives are crazy good for the write endurance. Testing shows around 9.5pb of write endurance for the 1TB drives.

That's a full drive write, every day, for 26 years straight. Hard to beat MLC V-NAND.