• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Reprieve: Select PC Hardware Exempt of Tariffs on Chinese Imports to the US

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The US Trade Representative on Friday granted a reprieve to the increased tariffs being levied at China-imported electronic goods. The exemption, valid for one year until 20th August 2020, includes some products that will be welcome to PC hardware enthusiasts, including motherboards, graphics cards, desktop cases, "mouse input devices" valued over $70, "trackpad input units" valued at over $100, and power supply units that output more than 500 W.

The exempts have come as fruits of requests from US stakeholders in the hardware space; should imports be available only from China (meaning there are no alternate sources of said materials) or if the tariff could cause "severe economic harm", a temporary reprieve on the levies could be sought. And so the exempts were requested, and now granted. Prices paid before the announcement of the reprieve that included the added tax penalties are final; the exemption is only valid for orders after September 20th. This means the 25% increased rates (itself an increase on the initial 10%) on the tax basis are now frozen when it comes to the aforementioned hardware. This means companies no longer have to scramble to source their manufacturing to countries other than China, and that prices increased for end consumers on the basis of the tax increase are now meritless.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Read the document: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-20442.pdf

"Power supplies suitable for physical incorporation into automatic data processing (ADP) machines or units thereof of heading 8471, each with a power output exceeding 500 W, measuring 148mm in length, 43 mm in width and 335 mm in height."

That's not an ATX power supply. Sounds more like a 2U or some other server PSU.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
GPU/Mobo manufacturers will certainly see more profits! Unlikely they'll pass the tariff savings onto the consumer.

GPU/Mobo manufacturers will certainly see more profits! Unlikely they'll pass the tariff savings onto the consumer.
Correct a cost adder we won't ever get back, another big "give-me" to business from... Captain Bupkis!

Correct a cost adder we won't ever get back, another big "give-me" to business from... Captain Bupkis!

Umm... No. Have you guys not been following the tariff situation? You think companies are going to raise retail prices due to tariffs then keep them up when there's a reprieve?

Tariffs were added to prices in the U.S. Prices in the U.S. went up. Now there's a repieve and you guys think they'll keep the difference to themselves? That's ridiculous.

Umm... No. Have you guys not been following the tariff situation? You think companies are going to raise retail prices due to tariffs then keep them up when there's a reprieve?

Tariffs were added to prices in the U.S. Prices in the U.S. went up. Now there's a repieve and you guys think they'll keep the difference to themselves? That's ridiculous.
You're kidding, that's how most companies work around the world like 90% of them probably 90% of the time. They won't cut prices unless they absolutely have to, prime example being HDD prices jumped back when floods hit Thailand.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

yep exactly, now that prices have been raised, as Seasonic even admitted due to tariffs, no way they will lower them in response to this. they love it. well done trumpy boy! so smaht

ok Jonny, well the new seasonic GX gold and PX platinum line just hit amazon a few weeks ago, a brand new PSU at $159.99 for 850w version. I'll report back in 3 weeks and see if they have lowered their prices any. and we will know for sure ;)

Last edited:
ok Jonny, well the new seasonic GX gold and PX platinum line just hit amazon a few weeks ago, a brand new PSU at $159.99 for 850w version. I'll report back in 3 weeks and see if they have lowered their prices any. and we will know for sure ;)
Read the document: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-20442.pdf

"Power supplies suitable for physical incorporation into automatic data processing (ADP) machines or units thereof of heading 8471, each with a power output exceeding 500 W, measuring 148mm in length, 43 mm in width and 335 mm in height."

That's not an ATX power supply. Sounds more like a 2U or some other server PSU.

Only power supplies for ADP, with those measurements. Nothing changed for other power supplies.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Only power supplies for ADP, with those measurements. Nothing changed for other power supplies.

either way, trumpy boi so smaht. i pay extra for power supply no matter what and china doesn't care i pay an extra 20 bucks lol, and my money gets sent out to farmers to bribe them for their vote! it's amazing! lol sad.

You're kidding, that's how most companies work around the world like 90% of them probably 90% of the time. They won't cut prices unless they absolutely have to, prime example being HDD prices jumped back when floods hit Thailand.

That is a completely different kind of situation.

Current tariffs only impact U.S. prices. Prices didn't go up globally. The market is too much of a commodity market with too much competition; especially from companies OUTSIDE of the U.S.

They won't because AFAIK, Seasonic doesn't make any PSUs that are measuring 148mm in length, 43 mm in width and 335 mm in height. :rolleyes:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That is a completely different kind of situation.

Current tariffs only impact U.S. prices. Prices didn't go up globally. The market is too much of a commodity market with too much competition; especially from companies OUTSIDE of the U.S.

They won't because AFAIK, Seasonic doesn't make any PSUs that are measuring 148mm in length, 43 mm in width and 335 mm in height. :rolleyes:

yeah i already figured that out from mask's comment... hence I gave him a like... also are you ever going to do reviews anymore? i check your site often and you never have any new ones, only one in like a 3 year period... can you test the new seasonic gx and px line?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
yeah i already figured that out from mask's comment... hence I gave him a like... also are you ever going to do reviews anymore? i check your site often and you never have any new ones, only one in like a 3 year period... can you test the new seasonic gx and px line?

He doesn't do the reviews.

IIRC Jonny now works for Corsair. Still knows a thing or two (maybe even three, he can count higher than me)

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Idk, Evga just raised the price of most of their RTX cards 10 dollars again in the past few weeks. Unless your being sarcastic, I hope so.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11