• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Re-releases Radeon Software 19.9.2 Beta as WHQL

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Yesterday, AMD silently posted a WHQL-signed version of Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.9.2 drivers that it originally released as a Beta on September 12. This should be good news for owners of Radeon RX 5700 Navi cards, as "WHQL" means these should be the best drivers to use on these cards.

It seems the new driver doesn't have any changes other than WHQL certification. Do let us know if your RX 5700 Series driver issues are fixed now, or if they still persist. Grab them from our downloads section.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
Having problems in World of Warships, using Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) causes instant crash. It does work when you disable it, but still sometimes crashes spontaneously.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Having problems in World of Warships, using Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) causes instant crash. It does work when you disable it, but still sometimes crashes spontaneously.
Are you positive that it is 100% an AMD video card issue? I have several games randomly crashing on me every other day, and I have an nVidia card.

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
Report your problems people and submit a ticket: https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D2297D2968
Did that several days ago.

Are you positive that it is 100% an AMD video card issue? I have several games randomly crashing on me every other day, and I have an nVidia card.
Apparently with really old drivers the issue disappears, according to one thread on reddit. And yes, 100% a video card issue. Started the moment I switched from RX 480 to RX 5700 XT. Of course, drivers uninstalled with DDU.

Last edited:
System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
This should be good news for owners of Radeon RX 5700 Navi cards, as "WHQL" means these should be the best drivers to use on these cards.
Can someone please elaborate on this? What actual impact does the WHQL have on Navi if everything else in the drivers is the same?

D

Deleted member 158293

Can someone please elaborate on this? What actual impact does the WHQL have on Navi if everything else in the drivers is the same?

For consumer use WHQL certification really doesn't mean much of anything. Technically it passes a Microsoft checklist for QA. AMD does not actually do anything different as for them they consider any driver release could be submitted for whql certification (not necessarily the case for nvidia). It is required more in Enterprise settings where official releases and documenting what you do is required.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
For consumer use WHQL certification really doesn't mean much of anything. Technically it passes a Microsoft checklist for QA. AMD does not actually do anything different as for them they consider any driver release could be submitted for whql certification (not necessarily the case for nvidia). It is required more in Enterprise settings where official releases and documenting what you do is required.

I'd still love to know what the actual Quality control tests are that MIcrosoft does for WHQL status.

Like run x amount of games from x amount of years for x amount of hours and see if stable/crashes? If not then they should add that to the WHQL checklist, cause I have only heard a few people say Navi is smooth and those people are probably just playing like 2 games, not a couple hundred.

I want to buy an all AMD system. I really do, I am waiting patiently still. I just hope RX 5800 can deliver solid and stable performance, even in old games like mass effect all the way to modern AAA's. I have a long backlog but also want to play newer games sometimes.

D

Deleted member 158293

I'd still love to know what the actual Quality control tests are that MIcrosoft does for WHQL status.

Like run x amount of games from x amount of years for x amount of hours and see if stable/crashes? If not then they should add that to the WHQL checklist, cause I have only heard a few people say Navi is smooth and those people are probably just playing like 2 games, not a couple hundred.

I want to buy an all AMD system. I really do, I am waiting patiently still. I just hope RX 5800 can deliver solid and stable performance, even in old games like mass effect all the way to modern AAA's. I have a long backlog but also want to play newer games sometimes.

I actually WHQL certified does not mean what most people think it means. WHQL refers to the code of the drivers communicating properly with the hardware while behaving properly with Windows and not causing errors. It has nothing to do with software running on top of the drivers, though technically if the drivers are well behaved for Windows OS, applications running on top of it should run.

WHQL is NOT about optimization, efficiency, and a driver can behave properly with the underlying hardware and Windows OS not causing errors, all the while not working as intended.

Which is why I say WHQL doesn't mean much for home use beyond marketing.

If you register as a hardware developer you can download the WHQL test kit from Microsoft

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I haven't had these issues but will double check.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I actually WHQL certified does not mean what most people think it means. WHQL refers to the code of the drivers communicating properly with the hardware while behaving properly with Windows and not causing errors. It has nothing to do with software running on top of the drivers, though technically if the drivers are well behaved for Windows OS, applications running on top of it should run.

WHQL is NOT about optimization, efficiency, and a driver can behave properly with the underlying hardware and Windows OS not causing errors, all the while not working as intended.

Which is why I say WHQL doesn't mean much for home use beyond marketing.

If you register as a hardware developer you can download the WHQL test kit from Microsoft

I have a great idea for Microsoft, since they love M$. Create a new system, WHQL Basic and WHQL Gold, and in order to get gold you have to provide a top ten selling games of last ten years running stable for 8 hours straight with no crashes.

Gold you charge extra money for this qualification, Nvidia will pay extra every time, and AMD will be forced to eventually do so as well instead of forcing their buyers to be beta testers for 5 months.

@Durvelle27 I'm sure he agrees.