• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will A GeForce RTX 2060 be bottlenecked by a i7 2600?

@Felipe Toledo G Andrade
There seems to be a fair difference of opinion here. You have to decide for yourself who to listen to.

On the one hand you have some who speaking from experience are telling you that you'll be ok but that a CPU upgrade should be your next move when you're ready...
And on the other hand there are some who are saying(or implying) that your system crap.

Seems clear who should be considered voices of reason..

Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 1TB Samsung 860Evo,2*2tb Samsung 970Evo Plus, 1tb Intel 660p nvme
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
Just run intensive cpu game like battlefield 5 and see if your GPU stays constant at 99% or not. If not, your cpu is bottleneck. I have 3770k and rtx 2060 super will be here today and according to some footage on youtube, even a 5ghz 3770k with rtx 2060 still bottleneck in bf5.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Seems clear who should be considered voices of reason..
o_O

Clear as mud. This place is friggin ridiculous sometimes... sheesh.

Both sides are right, actually. There is absolutely no doubt that a i7 2600 at 4.1 GHz will bottleneck an RTX 2060 at 1080p in some capacity on many titles. There is also no doubt the OP will be able to play most/all titles at 60 FPS with that GPU.

A bottleneck is NOT, as someone so patently false put it and others 'liked', "a severe and unacceptable restriction". A bottleneck is a slowdown from the norm if you actually take the time up to look at the meaning and not make it up. The severity of it isn't relevant to the definition. So while there still is a bottleneck (as that GPU will run faster using a modern CPU with notably higher IPC and clock speeds at 1080p) it will not affect this user much, though minimum FPS will also be lower. It's like that saying, if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, is there still sound? Clearly there is some bottleneck here, but due to the OP's use model (1080p/60Hz) he'll be fine with what it can output... it just isn't outputting all the FPS it can which does not affect this OP. But as the titles reads, yes, it will bottleneck that GPU.

/thread

EDIT: I sure hope someone said this earlier and it didn't take 28 posts........ :(

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I think you will be fine for now. Maybe start saving up for the inevitable rig upgrade eventually though.

The truth about bottlenecking is that every rig out there has a bottleneck of some sort. It might be the CPU that is limiting FPS or the GPU that is limiting FPS or using a HDD instead of a SSD or RAM or anything. Even a monitor can be a bottleneck. Maybe your rig can consistently deliver an average of 70 to 90 FPS in most games but you have a 60 Hz monitor. Well, your monitor is now the bottleneck as long as the extra FPS over 60 even matter to you.

The whole point with bottlenecks, like some have said, is does the bottleneck really affect the quality of your gaming experience to the point that you feel a need to address it?

You've already ordered the RTX 2060. When you get it see how it goes. If there is something about your present rig that is annoying you then upgrade. Chances are that you will be fine for a while.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Yesterday I was stressing a 3960X 4.2GHz + 980Ti combo.

While others mention 60FPS, it is not about that.

It will just stutter more. In certain situations it will drop more vs modern CPU. It depends on the game engine, but Sandy Bridge even at OC does not deliver smooth enough experience for modern games. It is okay in general.

System Name Balthus Dire/Darth Vader/ZenDo
Processor Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.2ghz 1.34v/Core i7 3630QM/Ryzen 5 1600 AF
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z77p-d3/HP Intel HM77/MSI X570-A Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPX 10X Extreme/ HP DV6/Stock Cooler
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Cas9 1600mhz/ 2x8GB DDR3 1600mhz Samsung/2X3200mhz XPG DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970/ Geforce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5/Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
Storage 2x120 GB EVO 840 System, 2TB Games, Raid1 3x1.5TB Data/ SSD 480GB/HP-EX900 NvMe 250gb-SSHD 750GB
Display(s) DELL P2314 1080p/15.6" FHD IPS LED panel/Asus 27" VP278H Gaming LCD
Case Chieftech Bravo Full ATX/ HP DV6 Metal/Gamemax LED
Audio Device(s) ALC1150/ IDT HD Audio/ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair 600W 80Plus/HP 120w PS/Corsair 650W Bronze 80Plus
Mouse CM Storm Devastator/Logitech Wireless/Warrior Kit
Keyboard Corsair K55 /HP DV6/Warrior LED
Software WIndows 10 Pro, QubesOS/Windows 10/Windows 10 Pro-Ununtu Studio 18.04
Thanks everyone for the repplies, I didnt expect that much atention and advices. Thanks, I will be posting once I have it running. Will be plugging in this the weekend, and I ll try and see how it goes!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Op save up ,swap out, the quality of life improvement and performance improvement on modern platforms will definitely make you happier.

Most people aim their attention at the Cpu as a cause of bottle necking yet forget the whole platform tied to it, the OPs pciex gen 2 will loose him a negligible bit of performance as will the ddr3 he is using.
It will be fine but will be less than ideal too.

@EarthDog fully agree with you, shame you didn't join in sooner though, could have saved some confusion.

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage SSD's
Display(s) HP X32 32" 1440p 165Hz
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III 750w
Yesterday I was stressing a 3960X 4.2GHz + 980Ti combo.

While others mention 60FPS, it is not about that.

It will just stutter more. In certain situations it will drop more vs modern CPU. It depends on the game engine, but Sandy Bridge even at OC does not deliver smooth enough experience for modern games. It is okay in general.
This guy nailed it. FPS isn't everything. The 1% lows will be abysmal with a sandy bridge quad core on modern AAA titles. E sports titles and well optimized games will be fine. Look into a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X.

This guy nailed it. FPS isn't everything. The 1% lows will be abysmal with a sandy bridge quad core on modern AAA titles. E sports titles and well optimized games will be fine. Look into a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X.
Sandy Bridge is a slight step up from my platform, WestmereEP and my 1% lows are almost nonexistent. Sorry, but you are incorrect. The OP will be fine for the time being..

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Storage SSD's
Case Phanteks P400A
Sandy Bridge is a slight step up from my platform, WestmereEP and my 1% lows are almost nonexistent. Sorry, but you are incorrect. The OP will be fine for the time being..
This doesn't even make sense, you don't have 1% lows?

I beg to differ...

Look at those lows compared to a modern 9700K

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I think if you upgraded as many have now you would find the smoothness of frame delivery to be way better than you expect.
I came from using a 2600k and then an fx8350 to a ryzen 2600 then 3800 and it's noticeable.
The platform is old and while it can reproduce an effective experience , it definitely is not optimal.

Except at 4k where Cpu mattered zero , at 1080p on titles using dx12 the difference is massive though mittigated to some degree via vsync or some other frame locking mechanism.

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Storage SSD's
Case Phanteks P400A
You can beg all you want, those minimums look alright to me. Let's see the maximums so you can finish completely destroying your own argument.
We can argue numbers all day long but a Sandy Bridge quad core from 2011 will have significantly more stutters/frame drops paired with a 2060 (@1080P) than something like a Ryzen 3600 or 9700K. Period!

I don't think you understand how it works, dell is not a reputable source of information as they sell locked prebuilts ; ) and it's hardly rigged and fake.
Compared to Dell, I believe you are not a reputable source of information a lot more.

How? Claiming a i7-2700 not needing an upgrade for 5-7 years?! :roll:
Yeah better keep buying weak locked low end dell systems because they last forever. Reality is that the CPU will be quite a significant bottleneck in any modern game for that matter and it will not keep up.
And what does that matter if the framerate is great? You are saying capitalist propaganda that can not be proven in all examples modern because modern aaa games have fake cpu requirements.

D

Deleted member 178884

Compared to Dell, I believe you are not a reputable source of information a lot more.
Instead of spewing bullshit how about explain why 0.1% lows, 1% lows and average framerates these old CPUs are getting pummeled in?

And what does that matter if the framerate is great?
The framerate isn't `great` the purpose of this thread is to answer the question in the thread title and you seem to be more interested in defending old tech because you can't afford to change your CPU, and yet you can't backup your points.

We can argue numbers all day long but a Sandy Bridge quad core from 2011 will have significantly more stutters/frame drops paired with a 2060 (@1080P) than something like a Ryzen 3600 or 9700K. Period!
Guess these people are more interested in trolling and aren't figuring out old platforms are a make-do for new modern GPUs.

Instead of spewing bullshit how about explain why 0.1% lows, 1% lows and average framerates these old CPUs are getting pummeled in?

The framerate isn't `great` the purpose of this thread is to answer the question in the thread title and you seem to be more interested in defending old tech because you can't afford to change your CPU, and yet you can't backup your points.
I rather invest in graphics used cards than in fake new cpus. Im not interested in buying new cpus for games that have fake cpu requirements. All Im trying is the help the OP not to waste his money.

D

Deleted member 178884

I rather invest in graphics used cards than in fake new cpus. Im not interested in buying new cpus f or games that have fake cpu requirements.
Yes CPUs are fake.
Instead of spilling rubbish here, would you care to elaborate with facts? Because any modern CPU is quite a significant upgrade across the board.

Here's an actual source other than some company claiming their CPU is still good and relevant because you bought it off them ; ) this is with a 2600k however but it's quite similar.

You can beg all you want, those minimums look alright to me. Let's see the maximums so you can finish completely destroying your own argument.
Whilst they are "alright" it does mean that the CPU is only a tie-over until he can afford a platform upgrade, The issue here is that the GPU is in fact being held back quite a significant amount.

Yes CPUs are fake.
Instead of spilling rubbish here, would you care to elaborate with facts? Because any modern CPU is quite a significant upgrade across the board.

Here's an actual source other than some company claiming their CPU is still good and relevant because you bought it off them ; ) this is with a 2600k however but it's quite similar.

Whilst they are "alright" it does mean that the CPU is only a tie-over until he can afford a platform upgrade, The issue here is that the GPU is in fact being held back quite a significant amount.

I cant believe you claim to know more than Dell. Dell is right when they say no need to upgrade a high cpu for 7 years because if the pc is used only for facebook like yours is, there really is no need. You cant actually know what I can afford because I already afforded something you can not afford and that is unlimited free time.

The benchmark site you posted I wont read because my policy is not to read capitalist fake reviews.

Dell makes pc to last long and stable. You make pc unstable with useless overclock.

Deap OP, please be assure, there is no need to waste money on a new cpu any time soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178884

if the pc is used only for facebook like yours is, there really is no need.
My PC is used for numerous things beyond your simplistic comprehension.
I cant believe you claim to know more than Dell. Dell is right when they say no need to upgrade a high cpu for 7 years
Dell is not right, Dell is a company that sells prebuilt machines. If Dell sell prebuilts and they say they'll only last a year - who would buy a dell prebuilt? Think about that.
You cant actually know what I can afford because I already afforded something you can not afford and that is unlimited free time.
So you bought an expensive CPU? Then test it to prove your flawed argument wrong or at least PROVE that an old CPU is fine instead of ranting without evidence.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I cant believe you claim to know more than Dell. Dell is right when they say no need to upgrade a high cpu for 7 years because if the pc is used only for facebook like yours is, there really is no need. You cant actually know what I can afford because I already afforded something you can not afford and that is unlimited free time.

The benchmark site you posted I wont read because my policy is not to read capitalist fake reviews.

So by that logic, i7 2600k is 8 years old, and by Dell's standards it would be time to upgrade, tovarish.

So by that logic, i7 2600k is 8 years old, and by Dell's standards it would be time to upgrade, tovarish.
Yes,I love Rrrussia! 7-9 years. So not yet.

So you bought an expensive CPU?
I already bought my expensive cpu 5 years ago, I didnt mean that. I have apolicy to not waste money on new cpus and thus I dont have to ever go to work because I save 10 time more. If I would buy a 1000 euro cpu every year that would be mad.

D

Deleted member 178884

I already bought my expensive cpu 5 years ago, I didnt mean that. I have apolicy to not waste money on new cpus and thus I dont have to ever go to work because I save 10 time more. If I would buy a 1000 euro cpu every year that would be mad.
Doesn't sound like it, after all you're still spreading misinformation, or was that 1000 euro CPU a pentium or something?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yes,I love Rrrussia! 7-9 years. So not yet.

You're cute. That signature really puts things in perspective... keep it there so we know 'who is the voice of reason', please... (I'll bet money says we are thinking two dramatically different things...). The irony of not being a sheep yet you following Dell's statement is not lost, btw. In fact, I'm LOL, like literally reading it I have to admit.

Few people buy 1000 CPUs annually to keep up with gaming. That IS mad/having more money than sense. However, it is undeniable a 2600k holds things back. We've seen benchmark after benchmark proving it. If good enough is the goal. It has been met, but you damn sure are being limited by it and the game experience can suffer.

And anyway, it looks like you only have a few more months before it hits dell's arbitrary 9 year old limit. Brotha, you can buy a $300 CPU today and get more FPS increase than buying a $300 GPU using that processor at this point..........and even 3 years ago!!!! o_O :roll: o_O :roll: o_O

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I'm gonna ask politely that you all play nice. Fair warning before thread bans are issued.