• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: HyperX Doubleshot PBT Pudding Keycaps (White)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We took a close look at HyperX's new keyboard, the Alloy Origins, earlier this week, and were left impressed with it. The company had sent along also a set of their new replacement keycap set for us to check out, and this seemed like a great product to trial out a shorter article format to cover products that otherwise would not merit multi-page reviews. Let us know what you feel about such posts, and if you would like us to expand coverage accordingly.

The HyperX-branded PBT plastic keycaps with doubleshot injected legends use the so-called "pudding" construction, with the top 1/3 of the keycap sides only left opaque to allow for more light to go through. The black and white set was originally sold beginning late last year, and there must have been enough demand for HyperX to dedicate a new SKU for an all-white edition. Read past the break for more on the new keycap set, including fit and finish on the Alloy Origins keyboard too.

Packaging here is in line with that of the HyperX Alloy keyboards, with a white and red color scheme and illustrations galore on the front and back. Indeed, the packaging alone does a good job of showing how the final product will look on a HyperX RGB keyboard, such as the Alloy Origins. There are seals on the sides to keep the contents inside in place.

The contents include a keycap layout map that is handy when between replacement and organizing where the removed keycaps can go. The keycaps and keycap puller come in three vacuum-sealed plastic bags which really are all one-time use. The included puller is a plastic ring-style puller, which works fine but risks scratching the sides of the keycaps, as opposed to a wire-style puller.

A closer look at the replacement keycaps reveals that these are indeed doubleshot injected, and the use of the white plastic is extremely obvious. Indeed, most of the keycap uses a white plastic that has a satin finish to help better diffuse light coming out the bottom and sides of the keycaps, and the legends are white injected into the slightly darker white base plastic that occupies the top surface and a bit more. This type of keycap is colloquially referred to as a "pudding" set, and HyperX is not the first to come up with this. Secondary legends are in the same location as on the stock keycaps except for the keyboard-specific secondary legends on the Alloy series of keyboards from HyperX which are absent on this set.

When comparing the stock keycaps on the Alloy Origins to this replacement set, there is the use of ABS vs. PBT plastic with the latter having the more textured finish and much thicker walls (1.38 mm on average). Font and size of the legends are different too,with the replacement set containing looped legends with seams similar to the vast majority of doubleshot injected keycaps, and the top surface is also larger on these PBT keycaps. Overall, these should fare better not just in terms of the typing experience (which is somewhat subjective, to be fair), but longevity and the lighting effect on the Alloy Origins RGB keyboard.

Seen above is also a look at the keyboard with the replacement keycap set installed outside of the alphanumeric keys to allow for better contrast with the stock keycaps. It is all the more obvious with the keyboard lit up, say in a static white color, where the side walls of the keycaps and the larger top surface all allow for more light in combination with the white plastic reflecting more light too.

The HyperX doubleshot PBT pudding keycaps (in white) costs $24.99 from their web shop, which is a really good deal considering these will be compatible with a lot of third-party keyboards as well (at least those adopting the "standard" bottom row spacing).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
too bad 90% of the LEDs on my keyboard are dead... Even the one that lights up to tell me when capslock is on and it annoys me

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I've been using essentially the same thing since MechanicalKeyboards ordered them via Vortex Keyboards (from some China company) early last year. Took nearly 6 months to get them, but yeah, I think I was one of the first. And yes, they are very good. The reason I say they are the same is the legends are identical.

If you cant beat them, copy them.

China^TM

Except in this case, China made them first. :p

Of course, I paid nearly 40 bucks. This is a far better deal.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I've been using essentially the same thing since MechanicalKeyboards ordered them via Vortex Keyboards (from some China company) early last year. Took nearly 6 months to get them, but yeah, I think I was one of the first. And yes, they are very good. The reason I say they are the same is the legends are identical.

Except in this case, China made them first. :p

Of course, I paid nearly 40 bucks. This is a far better deal.

Nope, I was before you... I ONLY like white, TKL, mechanical RGB keyboards, and I searched desperately for white pudding keycaps beginning over two years ago, even on Aliexpress I couldn't find anything. So I actually went on Alibaba in late autumn 2017, found a company to make them bespoke for me. I had to order 25 sets under the pretense that they were a sample for a larger order. I also ordered 25 sets of blank keycaps completely constructed from the translucent PBT used to make the sides and double part of the doubleshot pudding keycaps.

I ended up selling 18 sets of the the white pudding keycaps on ebay and a dozen of the blanks.

I strongly believe that the OEM I contacted soon peddled the caps to several small east Asian retailers because in the months after and prior to hyper x marketing them, they started popping up with smaller unknown retailers on Amazon and Aliexpress and some not so unknown retailers like YMDK. Though, I can't rule out that these small retailers, specifically YMDK didn't use my constant and borderline harassing emails begging for white white pudding keycaps back in the beginning of 2017 as the impetus to procure their own. I literally contacted every keycap seller I could find on the internet and that had a translatable website.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Huh... this looks really interesting. Wondering right now how well it fits on SteelSeries m500. I'm gonna have to do some digging

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I've got the black version of these, quite like them

Shame and puzzling they don't make these in ISO, especially as HyperX have a strong presence in Europe. PBT ISO backlit keycaps are a rare thing.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Shame and puzzling they don't make these in ISO, especially as HyperX have a strong presence in Europe. PBT ISO backlit keycaps are a rare thing.

Just buy them on Ali... backlit PBT puddings with ISO / ANSII keys usually go around 20something bucks.

Just buy them on Ali... backlit PBT puddings with ISO / ANSII keys usually go around 20something bucks.

They are junk. The ones with the correct legends that is, I don't just mean an ISO Enter key. No keycap set at $20 is going to be worth a crap. Reviews on there confirm as much.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
They are junk. The ones with the correct legends that is, I don't just mean an ISO Enter key. No keycap set at $20 is going to be worth a crap. Reviews on there confirm as much.

Was going to say... probably not really PBT.

System Name Lovely Milky Milky
Processor 7800X at 4GHz
Motherboard EVGA X299 FTW K
Cooling Custom milky loop
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz quad channel
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1080Ti SeaHawk EK X
Storage A-DATA 512GB M.2, 750GB Samsung SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD's
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved 144Hz 1440p
Case Aerocool Quartz Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seagate Snow Silent 750W
Mouse Fnatic Flick 2
Keyboard Drevo Blademaster TE
Software Windows 10 Pro
oooh I like these :)

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
Copy of Glorious Aura Mechanical Keycaps.

LOL! You mean they are both copies of pudding keycaps from the same Chinese OEM that you could have purchased from Aliexpress? Get your head out of your botox with that mess. HyperX was the first mainstream brand to release pudding keycaps into major markets.

Yea about that... Ongoing struggle... OEM for these do make them in variety of layouts including ISO that are available through Aliexpress or dedicated mechanical keyboard e-tailers. Try Amazon as well.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro

Couple of friends ordered Hungarian and US layout PBT keycaps and they seemed okay quality material wise. Can't say much about the laser engraved top longevity tho as I am not the one whom uses them, but I'll ask how are they holding up. I assumed pudding can't be much worse.

Still if AliExp is not your cup of tea, there are multiple sites that deal in known good quality brand PBT keycaps, most of them even have PBT Puddings in ISO <€40.