• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Introduces the World's First Optical Laptop Keyboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Razer, the leading global lifestyle brand for gamers, today announced the world's first optical keyboard designed for laptops. Razer was the first to introduce a low-profile mechanical laptop keyboard in 2016 and has now brought next-generation optical switches to the Razer Blade 15 gaming laptop. The low-profile keyboard has been designed for gaming enthusiasts who demand near instant actuation, satisfying tactile feedback, and rapid-fire inputs.

The new optical laptop switch harnesses the power of light to instantly capture key actuations. Under every key, an infrared light beam is used to detect when a key is pressed (actuation), allowing for much greater precision and speed versus conventional laptop keyboards. The result is a groundbreaking keyboard with an actuation point of only 1 mm at 55 g of actuation force with 50% more travel, allowing players to input more commands in less time in the heat of battle.

On top of lightning-fast actuation, the new keyboard features a satisfying mechanical tactile click - a must for any keyboard connoisseur. The tactile feedback helps users know when an input has been registered and provides a superior typing experience compared to traditional membrane keyboards.

The Razer Blade 15 optical keyboard also features N-Key Rollover (NKRO) with anti-ghosting. As the optical keyboard utilizes light to register inputs instead of a traditional physical contact, the optical keyboard features zero debounce to ensure that only one stroke is registered instantly without any delay.

Each keycap is individually backlit with Razer Chroma RGB lighting, offering 16.8 million colors to play with. Ranging from unique pre-programmed designs to custom patterns available only in the Razer Chroma Workshop, users have countless lighting options to choose from.

"Razer is a company of firsts, focusing on pushing the envelope to provide gamers with the best-in-class hardware," says Brad Wildes, Senior Vice President of Razer's Systems Division. "Our Razer Blade 15 laptop with the new optical laptop keyboard is the first of its kind, providing gamers with the most advanced switch technology on the market anywhere they go."

Award-winning ingredients
The Razer Blade 15 remains the most awarded laptop in the Razer Blade family as its sleek and compact design paired with best-in-class hardware has proven to be a winning combination. The optical keyboard model features ultra-fast gaming performance packed into a thin design that includes an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU, an Intel Core i7-9750H 6-Core CPU, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, and a 512 GB SSD storage.

Nestled front and center is a beautiful 15.6" Full HD 240Hz display, flanked by ultra-slim bezels and custom calibrated for an immersive and rich experience straight from the box. Lining the sides is an abundance of I/O such as an HDMI port, a mini DisplayPort, one Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C port, one USB Type-C port, and two USB Type-A 3.1 Gen 2 ports.

PRICING & AVAILABILITY
The new optical laptop keyboard from Razer is currently available only in the Razer Blade 15 Advanced for $2,649 USD with more models to follow in 2020. The Razer Blade 15 with optical keyboard will be available today from Razer.com and select retailers in United States, Canada, and China and will be coming soon to Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
yawn.

call me when she has analog keyboard, and for that price a 2080 max-q. lol.

beer me that enhanced gaming experience

Processor Raptor Lake 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen - Sennheiser HD595
Under every key, an infrared light beam is used to detect when a key is pressed (actuation), allowing for much greater precision and speed versus conventional laptop keyboards.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the hard numbers on how many ms of latency this removed. I imagine they've gone to great lengths to remove latency from all other areas first, and needed these optical keys to put them over the top.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the hard numbers on how many ms of latency this removed. I imagine they've gone to great lengths to remove latency from all other areas first, and needed these optical keys to put them over the top.

The new Lekker caps from Wooting are still better and have the least latency. Dishonored games are very fun to play on analog keyboards for example, the sneaking to instant running, etc. Quite fun. Analog is the future, these companies are just milking their old inventory before the analog invasion comes.

I literally said I'd like to see a optical scissor switch a few months back...well that escalated quickly...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Why do they need two springs in each key though?

Why do they need two springs in each key though?
Perhaps just to help reduce bottoming out as well as quicker return. The smaller one might just be to cut down on bottoming out quickly while the larger one is stiffer and bigger for a quicker return.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
Every time I hear about cool new laptop(s) and features, and think about buying one - I realize how much I hate the form factor. They need to make them click & snap apart. I don't care how cool that keyboard is, I'll never be able to position it to make it comfortable, being it's permanently attached to the screen and base.

I can't stand the "thin & light" trend that happened either. Any tablet/laptop I've ever had in the family, "thin and light" = weak & broken.

Processor FX-8350 @4.6
Motherboard MSI 970A Gaming
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) RX-570 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Barracuda's
Display(s) Asus 24" 1080p
Case Custom vintage wooden crate
Audio Device(s) Neewer N700 mic + Edifier 2.1 speakers + Steelseries Siberia V2
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX-reds
Software Windows 10
And then some dust particles get in there and start triggering false key presses... lol

I loath the flat key caps, but otherwise the sexiest keyboard switch award goes to Razer...I see the light...seriously though what's not to light low travel, low accusation point, and back lit lighting which because of the low travel will be brighter generally speaking because it's lower to the LED's themselves thus more light with shine thru them and scissor switches are stable keys to depress as well. I like everything about it aside from the key cap that should be a bit convex like a quality arcade button. Now the bigger problem still is that Razer hasn't made this into a standard desktop keyboard which bothers me immensely.

System Name Satan
Processor AMD 2700x with EK waterblock
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Custom open loop watercooled
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengance RGB Pro @ 3466 Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt with EK full cover block
Storage Intel 660p 512 GB nvme Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB for storage SATA
Display(s) Viotek 32" curved 144 Hz 1440 P
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Corsair Rmx 750
Mouse Logitech G 602 wireless
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 10 Pro
Razer........yeah.....blood in my stool is better info than this.....