• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

U.S. Legislators Including AOC Come Down Hard on Activision-Blizzard on Blitzchung Ban

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Three Congresspersons and two Senators, in a letter to Activision-Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick, came down hard on the company's decision to ban and withdraw prize winnings of Hong Kong gamer Ng Wai Chung aka "Blitzchung." In the letter, the legislators unleashed scathing criticism of the company's decision to place its market-access to China above its expectations as an American business to spread the core American values of freedom and liberty around the world. Among these legislators are Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Congressmen Mike Gallagher and Tom Malinowski; and Senators Marco Rubio and Ron Wyden.

"Your company benefits from China's growing market for e-sports, along with an investment from Tencent, one of China's largest technology firms. As you and your company are no doubt aware, the Chinese government uses the size and strength of its economy to suppress opinion with which it disagrees. Last week alone, the Chinese government targeted Apple for hosting an app to help peaceful demonstrators evade repression and the NBA because one team's general manager tweeted in support of Hong Kong protests," the letter reads.

"Your company claims to stand by 'one's right to express individual thoughts and opinions,' yet many of your own employees believe that Activision-Blizzard's decision to punish Mr. Chung runs counter to those values," the letter continues, referencing the silent protest by Blizzard employees by covering up a floor decal in the company's Stateside office. "Indeed many gamers around the world have taken notice of your company's actions, understandably calling for boycotts of Activision-Blizzard gaming sites," the letter continues, referring to the recent wave of established gamers either downright deleting their accounts, or cancelling their subscriptions to Activision-Blizzard MMOs.

Buckling under intense pressure in its home market, Blizzard last week reduced its ban. Bliizzard announced that it would be returning Blitzchung his prize money and reducing his ban from 1 year to 6 months. "Anger is still bubbling in the Blizzard communities, and with BlizzCon just around the corner, things are only going to continue to heat up," comments E-Sports Talk.

"As China amplifies its campaign of intimidation, you and your company must decide whether to look beyond the bottom line and promote American values - like freedom of speech and thought - or to give in to Beijing's demands in order to preserve market access. We urge you in the strongest terms to reconsider your decision with respect to Mr. Chung. You have the opportunity to reverse course. We urge you to take it," the letter concludes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
When does the NBA get a similar strongly-worded letter?

They don't actually care; they did what they did to because their access to the Chinese market is more important than free speech and democracy. Money is all that is important to them.

This letter amounts to nothing more than a slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce. If they want to really punish the greedy executives and shareholders of Activision Blizzard, start by banning loot boxes and forcing them to pay their fair share of taxes.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I guess Kotick didn't dig deep enough into his super yacht ocean liner fund to keep the legislators & AOC off his tail.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
At first I was "whatever, they can't really do anything" and then I remembered what happened Huawei and ZTE. If Blizzard acts like a tool of China, Congress might do something they'll regret.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
about time.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
I don't know which one is more ridiculous Blizzard decision or these Murican Senators :roll::roll::roll:

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
This is just pure unhinged political BS now.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Another sad thing is that so many of these corporations spout their “support” of social causes, but have no problem going against those ethics in another country with entirely different values. I’d rather they just stay out of it, because whatever stance they take is to just get people to “like” them and buy more of their products. There’s nothing wrong with having a conscience, but that’s not what is going on here. This is also what politicians do, so the irony is inescapable.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Another sad thing is that so many of these corporations spout their “support” of social causes, but have no problem going against those ethics in another country with entirely different values. I’d rather they just stay out of it, because whatever stance they take is to just get people to “like” them and buy more of their products. There’s nothing wrong with having a conscience, but that’s not what is going on here. This is also what politicians do, so the irony is inescapable.
There is a difference in company spouting their values and company or organization being used as a platform for political statements.

I am sure US senators would be making these same statements about protecting free speech if controversial statement was something they did not like or approve of. Looking at current issues would voicing support for Catalonian independence or for Turkish operation in Syria go over as well?

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
Blizzard choices:
1. Support anti-china stuff, get banned from china and lose humongous amount of profits, eventually leading to company's/title/franchise death.
2. Distance yourself from politics and ban politicking.

The choice is clear.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Why is Congress getting involved on this? I might expect a Trump tweet about it, but no more...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Blizzard choices:
1. Support anti-china stuff, get banned from china and lose humongous amount of profits, eventually leading to company's/title/franchise death.

The choice is clear.

I dont think #1 really applies. Yes they will lose tonnes of profits but that doesnt mean the company or its franchises will die. They can still make money outside of China. China is but only one small part of the world. They'll still be making money, Just not ALL the money. No doubt they will downsize and streamline their operations so Kotick and his executives can keep swimming in their seas of money.

But thats the problem with companies that answer to investors and shareholders. All these people want a humongous ROI and if they arent beating the previous years profits then these investors and shareholders think they are a dead company and not likely to keep their money invested in the company

Sadly investors matter more than customers in the gaming industry these days. Bobby Kotick has a networth of $7 billiion and $175million's worth of shares in Activision

in 2018 this man earned $30mil

What kind of person needs $30mil each year to live when he is also worth $7bil??? I understand being a CEO for a giant company takes some serious work but $30mil???

Bobby or its execs wont be getting a paycut or reduction in bonuses - they'll just cut staff numbers - lay off a few thousand then put out a recruitment ad for the same position but a much lower salary.

They dont want games to sell themselves. they want to release any trash that can be called a game and fill it with microtransactions because thats where all the money is... Forget putting in all the hard work and effort into creating a great game with content that pretty much sells itself like in the good old days.

Why is Congress getting involved on this? I might expect a Trump tweet about it, but no more...

They want some of that Activision money.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I dont think #1 really applies. Yes they will lose tonnes of profits but that doesnt mean the company or its franchises will die. They can still make money outside of China. China is but only one small part of the world. They'll still be making money, Just not ALL the money. No doubt they will downsize and streamline their operations so Kotick and his executives can keep swimming in their seas of money.

But thats the problem with companies that answer to investors and shareholders. All these people want a humongous ROI and if they arent beating the previous years profits then these investors and shareholders think they are a dead company and not likely to keep their money invested in the company

Sadly investors matter more than customers in the gaming industry these days. Bobby Kotick has a networth of $7 billiion and $175million's worth of shares in Activision

in 2018 this man earned $30mil

View attachment 134451

What kind of person needs $30mil each year to live when he is also worth $7bil??? I understand being a CEO for a giant company takes some serious work but $30mil???

Bobby or its execs wont be getting a paycut or reduction in bonuses - they'll just cut staff numbers - lay off a few thousand then put out a recruitment ad for the same position but a much lower salary.

They dont want games to sell themselves. they want to release any trash that can be called a game and fill it with microtransactions because thats where all the money is... Forget putting in all the hard work and effort into creating a great game with content that pretty much sells itself like in the good old days.

They want some of that Activision money.

Really its only 5 million a year, not 30, I mean technically the stock value could crash tomorrow to $1 a share and that 25 million is gone, that won't happen obviously, that would be an anomaly on par with quantum physics, but you get my point.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
China is but only one small part of the world.

So small that it only has a fifth of the total world population...
So small that it's one of the only untapped market for videogames...

Really its only 5 million a year, not 30, I mean technically the stock value could crash tomorrow to $1 a share and that 25 million is gone, that won't happen obviously, that would be an anomaly on par with quantum physics, but you get my point.

Oh noes, $5 mil vs $30 mil, how ever would poor ol' Bobby cope.

Blizzard choices:

The choice is clear.

You mean those 12% they could in theory get if they "get" China? Yea, thats pretty high in theoretical realm, especially now. Acti-Blizz doesnt need China, they never did, they just WANT to make more money. Not getting in China wouldnt mean a thing in long term.

Treating customers like sh*t on other hand can hurt in long term. Along with producing subpar stuff, throwing money in senseless ideas and so on..

Worst enemy of Acti-Blizz is they themselves and their infinite greed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So small that it only has a fifth of the total world population...
So small that it's one of the only untapped market for videogames...

Oh noes, $5 mil vs $30 mil, how ever would poor ol' Bobby cope.

that's not what I meant, just was pointing out an error a lot of people make. I do think a CEO that generates x amount of profit, the CEO should get around x amount percent wise. I do think there needs to be a cap on it, but I see nothing wrong with 3-4 million for a CEO.... there needs to be a point of climbing the ladder and investing in so much time, otherwise people will just stay a few rings below the top and be content with their 400k salaries. I mean it's a pyramid and always will be, not everyone in the company will make that much money, the math just doesn't add up, unless you want to pay $800 for a new video game each year.

OK, let's look at this from another point of view. Basically, some government men think that an entertainment platform business "should mix" political issues in their activities, especially if it's delicate. However, a social networking platform business "should not mix" its content with politics even if it is just a presidential election. That's it? Well, these Congressmen and Senators have to make up their minds, because if Activision-Blizzard did it wrong then Facebook was always right; but if Facebook was never correct, then Activision-Blizzard did well.

Last edited:
They only need to announce Diablo 4 in next blizzcon and then all of us will forget and forgive everything and we will run like good sheep to give them more money. Companies are really bad these days but all the low IQ customers are even worse.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
aoc the monitors > aoc the cunt

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
AOC probably only supported it because she thought it was denouncing Climate Change.