• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

U.S. Legislators Including AOC Come Down Hard on Activision-Blizzard on Blitzchung Ban

I don't think it is a good thing to mix Hi-Tech and Politics on www.techpowerup.com web-site dedicated to Hi-Tech, GPU technologies, Gaming, etc

However, as a matter of facts:

- Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China until 2050, and China will get it Anyway 27 years later, right?
- A question is why do some people from the US Government interfere into internal affairs of China?
- Too many people around the world do Not know that Hawaiian songs were banned for a long period of time by the US Government
- What would you say if China would try to interfere into internal affairs of the USA with regards to rights of people of Hawaii in the middle of 1960th, or rights of blacks around the same time?

Absolutely Not interested to hear anything about all these demonstrations in Hong Kong, but I agree this is Not a right decision to ban that person. Unfortunately, they mixed Politics and Gaming.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't think it is a good thing to mix Hi-Tech and Politics on www.techpowerup.com web-site dedicated to Hi-Tech, GPU technologies, Gaming, etc

- Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China until 2050, and China will get it Anyway 27 years later, right?
- A question is why do some people from the US Government interfere into internal affairs of China?
- Too many people around the world do Not know that Hawaiian songs were banned for a long period of time by the US Government
- What would you say if China would try to interfere into internal affairs of the USA with regards to rights of people of Hawaii in the middle of 1960th, or rights of blacks around the same time?

Absolutely Not interested to hear anything about all these demonstrations in Hong Kong, but I agree this is Not a right decision to ban that person. Unfortunately, they mixed Politics and Gaming.

you better find another website then, because we have allowed politics on this site for as long as I can remember. have fun over at OCN or some other inferior designed UI site. Also, stay away from The Lounge forum here, LOL

>>...you better find another website then, because we have allowed politics

This is Not right and simply takes everybody's time. What about a Freedom of Speech and next time I will ask you for a permission to make a comment...

Space Lynx

Astronaut

This is Not right and simply takes everybody's time. What about a Freedom of Speech and next time I will ask you for a permission to make a comment...

you can make a comment anytime you like... no one said you couldn't...

Lol, you're funny. Can a westerner like me become a china spook like you? The party's goal is much more important than then any individuals thought or freedom.

As for the article, meh. It's up to the company to change. We can vote with our wallets if we don't want to support them...then they'll change their tune.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Depends on the mood of mods. They can start political threads alright.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
At first I was "whatever, they can't really do anything" and then I remembered what happened Huawei and ZTE. If Blizzard acts like a tool of China, Congress might do something they'll regret.

What could they do, pass a bill about Union game worker? Activision is american based, I don't think they'll faced same fate as Huawei :D
In fact loot boxes fall below their radar, and EU commission are first to questioning these "mechanics". I could only guess this is all about money :D

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
When does the NBA get a similar strongly-worded letter?

I just want people to stop listening to celebrities who fly on private jets, have multiple mansions, with gas guzzling sports cars, people with guns to keep them safe, behind walls in gated communities to stop telling everyone else from doing everything they are doing...

Cause Orange man bad, and everything they do is exactly what they don't want you to do.

Democratic republic for Hong Kong would be great, no laws to extradite protestors to the internment camps, Tibet, Pollution, corruption, and blatant racisim of China. Blizzard can kiss my ass, I have thought about trying their games, and now I'm not going to unless they prove the support freedom and individual human rights above the status quo they have been placating people with.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909

Have to agree with you. Things turn to **** too easily when politics is involved.

Also, don't bother about facts, most people who post about politics don't care about facts. You see these random sinophobic comments all over the place where people probably learned them from textbooks written in the cold war era. All these blatant fake news everywhere about China. I would have believed them and make those comments too, but having actually lived and work in China for the last couple of years, I realized how much stupid **** I used to get fed with.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Have to agree with you. Things turn to shit too easily when politics is involved.

Also, don't bother about facts, most people who post about politics don't care about facts. You see these random sinophobic comments all over the place where people probably learned them from textbooks written in the cold war era. All these blatant fake news everywhere about China. I would have believed them and make those comments too, but having actually lived and work in China for the last couple of years, I realized how much stupid shit I used to get fed with.

There is one thing TPU doesn't tolerate, and that is cussing. Just for future reference. The s-word and the f-word mainly. Others they generally let slide.

Also, politics is generally not allowed most topics here, only in The Lounge sub-forum. Hope you enjoyed today's class snugglebears.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
There is one thing TPU doesn't tolerate, and that is cussing. Just for future reference. The s-word and the f-word mainly. Others they generally let slide.

Also, politics is generally not allowed most topics here, only in The Lounge sub-forum. Hope you enjoyed today's class snugglebears.
Yeah I suppose the cussing was unnecessary

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
What could they do, pass a bill about Union game worker? Activision is american based, I don't think they'll faced same fate as Huawei :D
In fact loot boxes fall below their radar, and EU commission are first to questioning these "mechanics". I could only guess this is all about money :D
Add Activision/Blizzard products to their schedule of products that can't be traded with China. It would be a drastic measure no doubt but possible nevertheless.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Add Activision/Blizzard products to their schedule of products that can't be traded with China. It would be a drastic measure no doubt but a possible nevertheless.
And what would you gain from that? Blizzard would actively start to avoid any non-preapproved speech and if that would hurt enough would start reporting competition for similar infractions which are not hard to find.

No one actually read what blizzard respond for that ban? He violate the rules, it has nothing to do with China money.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
I wonder why the ROC hasnt been,lending support, they are the government of China and a US Unoffical Ally. personally id like to see the ROC become more active up to aannexing Hong Kong.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
And what would you gain from that? Blizzard would actively start to avoid any non-preapproved speech and if that would hurt enough would start reporting competition for similar infractions which are not hard to find.
It would force Activision-Blizzard to divorce its Chinese business from the rest. Basically they'd have to sell their Chinese operations (probably to Tenacent). Activison-Blizzard would no longer have any direct ties to China so they aren't financially incentivized to suppress speech that's anti-China.

No one actually read what blizzard respond for that ban? He violate the rules, it has nothing to do with China money.

Nothing to do with China money? LOL, it has everything to do with China money.

If you don't appease the Chinese government, you risk losing access to the Chinese market, players start boycotting Blizzard games thus revenues fall and so do profits.

Just ask the NBA how well it's going for them.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Nothing to do with China money? LOL, it has everything to do with China money.

If you don't appease the Chinese government, you risk losing access to the Chinese market, players start boycotting Blizzard games thus revenues fall and so do profits.

Just ask the NBA how well it's going for them.

From all accounts, Chinese are extremely patriotic and just as racist/xenophobic about outsiders as the worst westerner is, if not more so. If Blizzard gets branded as Anti-Chinese by their government and media, Blizzard's profits in China will evaporate both from legal problems and patriotic boycotts.

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Hey, can you take out the AOC mention from the headline? It comes off as partisan, when this is a bipartisan measure by the U.S. Congress.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Not to mention Ron Wyden is the most senior of the signatories; hence, first listed. Of the House members, Mike Gallagher is the most senior. Senate > House (longer terms, entire state votes instead of just a district, etc.)

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
For all the people riding on high horses on the HK matter, read this

Also look up Jaron Lines. A US citizen and college student actually going to HK to see for himself. His youtube channel was blocked simply because it does not fit the narrative.

All this is just part of the ongoing huge political shit slinging between US and China.

At the high up positions there is no “morale” “human rights” or “freedom” There is only profit and interest.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
For whom? Remember what started the protests: Lam was going to pass into law an extradition treaty that was basically a no-questions-asked tool for China to reach into Hong Kong and extract dissidents. Millions of Hong Kongers took to the streets stalling the passage of the bill. Lam sidelined, but not killed it until five months later when audio leaked that China was forbidding her from stepping down as administrator and China backed off letting her stop it. The protests grew from the extradition treaty into generalized angst against the government. One thing I know of for sure is that young adults looking to move out of their parents apartment are put on waiting lists for 6 years. We're not talking fancy lofts, either. We're talking bedrooms not much bigger than your average American bathroom.

So who you linked there...
I’m not going to excuse China’s past behaviour. But to choose HONG Kong as the sacrificial lamb for that reckoning is not only morally wrong, it’s is tactically and strategically wrong - if your objective is to bring China to its knees.
What the hell is he talking about? Hong Kongers are doing this themselves because they don't like their government. There's context missing here. Senator Hawley did something that annoyed the author.

That said, I don't think this is the correct thread to be talking about that.

Also look up Jaron Lines. A US citizen and college student actually going to HK to see for himself. His youtube channel was blocked simply because it does not fit the narrative.
I did and I'm convinced this person doesn't exist and is a propaganda account. For example, the Twitter account was created June 2019 with the byline "Sojourner for Wisdom, Justice, Truth, and Peace." YouTube probably deleted the channel because it was connected to Chinese propaganda sources. Ever since the Mueller investigation started, tech firms have actively sought and silenced accounts connected to foreign government agents. China for sure had thousands of Facebook accounts but only actively used about 10% of them. What used to be done by spies is now being done on social media by influencers (formerly spies). We are experiencing the cyber cold war: information warfare.

Yes, Hong Kong is caught in the crossfire between USA and China but, keep in mind that China only had administrative control of Hong Kong since 1997. The people driving the protesting were the first to grow up entirely under China's management. These extended protests are the direct result of a generational shift in Hong Kong. They likely would have happened regardless of the US-China spat.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
For all the people riding on high horses on the HK matter, read this

All this is just part of the ongoing huge political shit slinging between US and China.

At the high up positions there is no “morale” “human rights” or “freedom” There is only profit and interest.

So based off two people and one email you are judging an entire movement? Neat. I'm pretty sure people would not sacrifice their luxuries of life and free time, in mass, if it did not truly matter. Propaganda can only go so far, but if people are sacrificing their time and money, there is a reason, whether or not we understand it. Also, Google is friendly with China, so why would they censor a pro-China YouTube channel for this so-called narrative. Google only stopped creating a search engine for China because the U.S. Government forced them to stop, sorry your theory just doesn't add up. Also, the idea of a culture that makes me earn social points in order to travel sounds like complete bs and screw that commie crap.

Speaking of traveling, think I might fly to Cozumel for my vacation this winter, no Xi Jinping approval needed, hell yea baby.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
MSM brainwashing is good, no matter what nation you are in. After all the primary function of media is to control the thoughts of masses, be it force fed propaganda or sof t& gentle "hint"

Believe what you believe. I'm done arguing here.

I don't think Blizzard did anything wrong.

It is that certain player who bring politics into E-sports game, not Blizzard.
I can understand Blizzard's action as "defending the E-sports environment" rather than "benefit more from China"
Maybe ban the account without warning is bit too much, but aren't too many people's ( and due to this post, government) misinterpret or even deliberately let so many people think the banning as a political action.

And according to the letter provided, "you and your company must decide whether to look beyond the bottom line and promote American values - like freedom of speech and thought - or to give in to Beijing's demands in order to preserve market access"
Apparently it is the GOVERNMENT who want the company to TAKE SIDES.
Why the GOVERNMENT cares so much about the action of a HK e-sports player whose action was taken on FOREIGN LAND。