• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Beats Intel Core i9-10980XE by 24% in 3DMark Physics

D

Deleted member 185158

Who cares about the scores. What's impressive is that both CPUs perform in the same ballpark but the 3950X uses probably like what, half the power ?

Its being compares to a 3950x?
Why not compare the AMD 3970x instead? Maybe only 2/3s the power then?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Who cares about the scores. What's impressive is that both CPUs perform in the same ballpark but the 3950X uses probably like what, half the power ? And is available on a cheaper mainstream platform, with itself being the cheaper CPU.

Intel's top of the line HEDT offerings are struggling against AMD's mainstream CPUs. Oh boy. That's a plot twist if I ever saw one, who would have envisioned this say 3 years ago.

Apparently all the rumors were wrong and the base clocks are actually only 3.0GHz, same as preceding generations!

Makes sense, that 14nm+++ or whatever it is by this point isn't an bottomless well of scalability.

Oh well, almost no one buys an HEDT chip and doesn't overclock, so I don't really care about stock performance.

People totally buy HEDT chips and don't overclock them. Someone can buy a workstation for editing video and have no knowledge whatsoever about overclocking and such, they just got a fast CPU that they use as it is out of the box.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Apparently all the rumors were wrong and the base clocks are actually only 3.0GHz, same as preceding generations!

Which means this all makes a lot more sense now. Oh well, almost no one buys an HEDT chip and doesn't overclock, so I don't really care about stock performance.
Oops.. yes. I saw that and completely forgot it existed already at the ark. :D

So I'd imagine all core boost around 3.6-3.8 ghz will Hope's of 4ghz, lol.

Why not compare the AMD 3970x instead?
because its 32c/64t compared to half that? It's also $1500 compared to $1000. The 3960x is $1000 and 24/48t. Depends on what you are trying to compare by.. core/thread count, HEDT to HEDT, price...etc.

Edit: AMDs HEDT/Threadripper product stack is crazy if the rumors are true. A 64c/128t monster for $2500 at the top.. $1000 24c/48t chip at the bottom. Wowzas! What does zen2 server line look like?!!

Edit2: read a better source..16c/32t at the bottom... no price on that.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Fate has certainly dealt you a cruel hand. Forced to survive, possibly for months, with only a mere 2700x. That's not a life anyone should have to live.

Got one better, Just specced out a new personal rig this past weekend only thing keeping me were out of stocks. This morning, while working on a server merely following instructions shit hit the fan in the most monumental way possible, the short take involved the "big red button," Homeland Security and 20 other departments and agencies directly beneath it. Kept being told I should've have known better despite what I was told, but knowing 'it exists' was the extent of my knowledge considering how hush hush things are around here. I never laid eyes on the thing prior to that. So fucked. By the time I left for the day blacked out cars were still coming in and out. I don't even know if I'm going to have a job by the time I go to bed. Sorry didn't rant/vent.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Oh well, almost no one buys an HEDT chip and doesn't overclock.

There are many HEDT users counting on reliability and do not overclock at all.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

And you can count me. I dont OC my 7980xe at all. None of the forum members really attacked me when they came out. I saw some others get the rope though. I certainly didnt buy this chip for its OC potential (doesnt really have any) or its clock rate (2.6 at its base 3ish most days with most cores).

I was one of those crazy users that you know bought a high core count chip for well....its cores.

Im not going to OC and pull a KW from the wall to watch netflix.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Infinity fabric beats glue.
72MB cache beats 24.75MB cache
~148W peak PBO power consumption beats an unrealistically-low 165W base consumption before boost.
$750 beats $1000.
PCIe 4.0 beats PCIe 3.0

On top of all that, have Intel closed all of the exposed side-channel attack vulnerabilities in hardware yet, or are they still recycling old architecture with microcode/software patches?

I'm sure there are still going to be plenty of benchmarks where Intel wins, either due to AVX512 vs AVX256, or simply old code that was optimised with an Intel compiler but Team Blue simply has no good cards on the table and a pretty weak hand at the moment.

Last edited:

I'd like to see that number quantified. Nonetheless, you'll see that I did not say "no HEDT user runs stock clocks" but rather, "almost no one..." I recognize that some HEDT users do not overclock.

And you can count me. I dont OC my 7980xe at all. None of the forum members really attacked me when they came out. I saw some others get the rope though. I certainly didnt buy this chip for its OC potential (doesnt really have any) or its clock rate (2.6 at its base 3ish most days with most cores).

I was one of those crazy users that you know bought a high core count chip for well....its cores.

Im not going to OC and pull a KW from the wall to watch netflix.

You're free to do with your posessions as you choose. I choose a different path with my CPUs.

I've overclocked nearly every CPU I've owned since my first upgrade from a 486 to an AM586 way back in the mid-90's. Earlier this year I had a 7900x that I was planning to de-lid and see how far I could push it, but an opportunity to replace it with this (already de-lidded) 7960x came up so I took it. All-core turbo on this chip is only 3.6GHz, which is below my personal threshold for single-thread performance of at least 4GHz on modern chips. Ideally, closer to 5GHz but I'm not pushing this chip to 5GHz on ambient cooling. So I applied a moderate overclock to reach this desired level of performance and it is perfectly stable functioning in a system that is both a media server and video production workstation.

Multi-threaded performance of course matters (otherwise why buy HEDT?) but single-thread performance still matters also. For example, the decoder engine for VC1 is still single-threaded, so when someone queues up a VC1 video to play on my media server, I want to know the system can fill up the buffer fast enough to avoid stuttering/buffering. With base clock as low as 3GHz that's not a guarantee. Boost clock at 3.6 gets you closer, but I would rather have an over-engineered solution and not need the extra performance, than vice versa.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I ma pretty sure it's the same as with all consumers in general, the people that overclock are always the minority.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
I'd like to see that number quantified. Nonetheless, you'll see that I did not say "no HEDT user runs stock clocks" but rather, "almost no one..." I recognize that some HEDT users do not overclock.

You're free to do with your posessions as you choose. I choose a different path with my CPUs.

I've overclocked nearly every CPU I've owned since my first upgrade from a 486 to an AM586 way back in the mid-90's. Earlier this year I had a 7900x that I was planning to de-lid and see how far I could push it, but an opportunity to replace it with this (already de-lidded) 7960x came up so I took it. All-core turbo on this chip is only 3.6GHz, which is below my personal threshold for single-thread performance of at least 4GHz on modern chips. Ideally, closer to 5GHz but I'm not pushing this chip to 5GHz on ambient cooling. So I applied a moderate overclock to reach this desired level of performance and it is perfectly stable functioning in a system that is both a media server and video production workstation.

Multi-threaded performance of course matters (otherwise why buy HEDT?) but single-thread performance still matters also. For example, the decoder engine for VC1 is still single-threaded, so when someone queues up a VC1 video to play on my media server, I want to know the system can fill up the buffer fast enough to avoid stuttering/buffering. With base clock as low as 3GHz that's not a guarantee. Boost clock at 3.6 gets you closer, but I would rather have an over-engineered solution and not need the extra performance, than vice versa.

Homelab / Home server / UAT ENV / Stock trade machines....etc.
There are many applications for a HEDT machine which requires many horse power but reliability and stability is on top of the list.

A 7980xe delided and 4.6GHz all-core OC sounds great.
However I won't trust it for, let say, a 4 hours continuous 3D rendering task, day after day.

When Money is on the table, overclocking is just another uncertainty and should be avoided.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

you try to make the post sound like I’m some kind of consumer peasant and then proceed to weird flex by attempting to explain to me how modifications to your CPU presumably make your usage somehow mean something more compared to mine?

Like what? are your delids and OCs supposed to impress me?

I ma pretty sure it's the same as with all consumers in general, the people that overclock are always the minority.

I'm not inclined to agree with you. We are talking about a niche product intended for enthusiasts, afterall.

Homelab / Home server / UAT ENV / Stock trade machines....etc.
There are many applications for a HEDT machine which requires many horse power but reliability and stability is on top of the list.

A 7980xe delided and 4.6GHz all-core OC sounds great.
However I won't trust it for, let say, a 4 hours continuous 3D rendering task, day after day.

When Money is on the table, overclocking is just another uncertainty and should be avoided.

That's my point though, no one running a "production" workload *should* be buying HEDT, they should be buying Xeon or Epyc.

Also, there is a stark difference between a mild OC such as the one I am running, and the 4.6GHz all-core OC you cite, wouldn't you say? Surely you don't believe that mild overclocking (from 3.6GHz to 4GHz) is at all analagous to pushing a chip to its limits.

you try to make the post sound like I’m some kind of consumer peasant and then proceed to weird flex by attempting to explain to me how modifications to your CPU presumably make your usage somehow mean something more compared to mine?

Like what? are your delids and OCs supposed to impress me?

I'm not sure why you're responding to me in this way, I'm attempting to engage in a reasoned debate in good faith. It seems that you have taken offense by my statements of opinion, though I have offered no offense.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I'm not sure why you're responding to me in this way, I'm attempting to engage in a reasoned debate in good faith. It seems that you have taken offense by my statements of opinion, though I have offered no offense.

doesn’t matter really. It was off topic anyway. Thread is about 10980xe score vs the Ryzen that beat it. Not the talking points of HEDT over clocking.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
That's my point though, no one running a "production" workload *should* be buying HEDT, they should be buying Xeon or Epyc.

Also, there is a stark difference between a mild OC such as the one I am running, and the 4.6GHz all-core OC you cite, wouldn't you say? Surely you don't believe that mild overclocking (from 3.6GHz to 4GHz) is at all analagous to pushing a chip to its limits.

When you don't need ECC support or heavy VM applications, HEDT is the best choice.

And your "mild" overclocking pushes the power consumption of the CPU to 300W + territory.
Then you need an AIO to calm the CPU down, thus introduces another point of failure to the system.

Don't get me wrong.
OC is fun, I do it in my personal rig.

But when stuff needs to be done quick yet reliably, OC should be out of the equation.

doesn’t matter really. It was off topic anyway. Thread is about 10980xe score vs the Ryzen that beat it. Not the talking points of HEDT over clocking.

Overclocking HEDT processors is off-topic for a discussion about an upcoming HEDT processor?

When you don't need ECC support or heavy VM applications, HEDT is the best choice.

And your "mild" overclocking pushes the power consumption of the CPU to 300W + territory.
Then you need an AIO to calm the CPU down, thus introduces another point of failure to the system.

Depends on voltage. I know for a fact my 7960x at just over 1.0V doesn't use 300W for 4GHz all-core workloads in the real-world (video rendering and transcoding tasks). I know because I have a kill-a-watt hooked up and have measured peak (and minimum) power consumption. It's about 220W CPU power consumption for me. Well within the cooling capabilities of my water loop, and the capability of my power supply.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Hi Solaris17 I would love to see this included when you guys do reviews on the 3960X and 3990X.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I'm not inclined to agree with you. We are talking about a niche product intended for enthusiasts, afterall.

Enthusiast is a word devoid of any real meaning, you can keep using it but it conveys nothing. And these are products intended for all kinds of people, like content creators who don't know how to and don't want to overclock anything.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You say this based on what, exactly?

Based on the fact that you cannot successfully attach these notions to being an "enthusiasts".

Person 1 spends 10 000$ (HEDT) on on rig to play games.
Person 2 spends 10 000$ (HEDT) on on rig to play games and does stuff like OCing.
Person 3 spends 500$ on on rig to play games.
Person 4 spends 500$ on on rig to play games and does stuff like OCing.

Which of these people are the enthusiasts and why ?

Not one clue what that's supposed to be.

Did you just ... google "Intel" and "enthusiast" hoping something will show up ?

Based on the fact that you cannot successfully attach these notions to being an "enthusiasts".

Person 1 spends 10 000$ (HEDT) on on rig to play games.
Person 2 spends 10 000$ (HEDT) on on rig to play games and does stuff like OCing.
Person 3 spends 500$ on on rig to play games.
Person 4 spends 500$ on on rig to play games and does stuff like OCing.

Which of these people are the enthusiasts and why ?

Enthusiast class products are considered premium products. The price range will vary depending on the product category, geographic market, and competition. None of your examples bother to define these variables so I can't answer your hypothetical.

Not one clue what that's supposed to be.

Did you just ... google "Intel" and "enthusiast" hoping something will show up ?

Can't be bothered to read a list of search results, let alone click on them?

The point is, the company selling these products bothers to associate their products with the term "enthusiast". Who are you to say they're wrong? Clearly they're spending money marketing specific products to a distinct market segment. They might have a slightly better idea about this than you do...

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Enthusiast class products are considered premium products. The price range will vary depending on the product category, geographic market, and competition. None of your examples bother to define these variables so I can't answer your hypothetical.

I didn't ask what are enthusiast class products, don't beat around the bush. You can't answer because you don't know how, and you just threw another vague term : "premium products". Go ahead, tell me what's a premium product and what isn't, with variables and all that.

The point is, the company selling these products bothers to associate their products with the term "enthusiast". Who are you to say they're wrong? Clearly they're spending money marketing specific products to a distinct market segment. They might have a slightly better idea about this than you do...

Makes me chuckle, as if throwing marketing claims around that don't have any real meaning would be unheard of.

System Name New Horyzen
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua U-12S
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5700XT
Storage A lot
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) ESI Maya44 eX, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd, Samson Meteor, Mixer and Headphone Amp
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 750W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard HyperX Alloy & Logitech G13
Software All of it
Most people are going to OC this star? Good luck with that.
Dedicated 750W PSU for the CPU, a second one for the rest of the system. Easy!

I think that crap about 3950x beating a 10980xe is just that BULLSHIT. https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20531709
To get a better understanding of what is going on, look at servers.
Why look at Rome when we have Matisse at home?
Simple: Rome got all stops pulled. Those things run full tilt vs Intels best offerings (price vs price, you buy two AMD systems for the price of one Intel).

Look at what AMD is doing in servers. Epyc 7452 vs Xeon Gold 6148 for example:
Time in seconds (lower is better):

Or any other Epyc vs Xeon (ignoring prices)
Worst case AMD outperforms best case Intel

And there is also that one use case where AMD made a 127% performance jump over themself:

Sources:

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit

Can't be bothered to read a list of search results, let alone click on them?

Enthusiast class product? OK. You better google what enthusiast mean and who can be an enthusiast. You can be a processor, Intel or AMD or GPU etc. enthusiast and you dont have to overclock. People tend to twist meaning of words or use acronyms and later on they are lost in the meaning. I can be a car enthusiast not owning a car you know. Meaning I'm interested in this, i know a lot about it. What you are suggesting is, if somebody is an enthusiast of PC or processors, means for you he must buy premium (enthusiast processors like you said which is silly to say) processors and OC. It's like enthusiast now comes down to expensive stuff and OC only which is not right. Don't tell people to search and click on links. Saying that enthusiast must OC and buy premium (expensive processors or PC stuff) is just stupid. Somebody twisted meaning of a word, put it on the internet (like companies for marketing) and now you feed people and replicate this malarkey because it's up your alley.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Enthusiast class product? OK. You better google what enthusiast mean and who can be an enthusiast. You can be a processor, Intel or AMD or GPU etc. enthusiast and you dont have to overclock. People tend to twist meaning of words or use acronyms and later on they are lost in the meaning. I can be a car enthusiast not owning a car you know. Meaning I'm interested in this, i know a lot about it. What you are suggesting is, if somebody is an enthusiast of PC or processors, means for you he must buy premium (enthusiast processors like you said which is silly to say) processors and OC. It's like enthusiast now comes down to expensive stuff and OC only which is not right. Don't tell people to search and click on links. Saying that enthusiast must OC and buy premium (expensive processors or PC stuff) is just stupid. Somebody twisted meaning of a word, put it on the internet (like companies for marketing) and now you feed people and replicate this malarkey because it's up your alley.

For me an enthusiast is anyone into a particular product or industry that does things like what we do here and I will list them.

1. Have theoretical conversations about products
2. Help the uninitiated with their problems
3. Have at least something from the current gen (NVME expansion card)
4. Take courses or read literature on technology
5. Get excited for new product releases (TR3, Comet Lake)
6. Be passionate about your purchases
7. Be informed before you buy anything
8. Do your own testing (if you can) on products instead of watching Youtube videos and taking that as gospel
9. Have more equipment than you will ever need
10. Be biased based on experience on what you recommend but not in a negative way.