• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80

That is likely, also the TR2 chips - 2970wx & 2990wx - had 2 CCX to go through a couple of hops IIRC to access memory, they couldn't do it directly. This shouldn't be the case with TR2 & the IO die, not to mention memory support & IF have been enhanced. I'd say up to 32 cores should do just about fine for most tasks, & for higher core counts there'd likely be 8 mem channels.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
That is likely, also the TR2 chips - 2970wx & 2990wx - had 2 CCX to go through a couple of hops IIRC to access memory, they couldn't do it directly. This shouldn't be the case with TR2 & the IO die, not to mention memory support & IF have been enhanced. I'd say up to 32 cores should do just about fine for most tasks, & for higher core counts there'd likely be 8 mem channels.

That is also my thought process that they will be able to have the 2990WX replacement wired just like the 2950X in terms of the memory but the 64 Core will probably be just like the current 2990WX in terms of how it is configured. I am also wondering if the 32 core will be good for gaming if tied directly to the memeory controller for all CCX units..

System Name LazyOldMan
Processor 9900KF
Motherboard Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Corsair custom Watercooled
Memory 64 Gb
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT
Storage Too much to mention in all 980 TB
Display(s) 2 x Dell 4K @ 60 hz
Case Crap case
Audio Device(s) Realtek + Bayer Dynamics 990 Pro headset
Power Supply 1300 watt
Mouse Corsair cord mouse
Keyboard Corsair red lighter cabled keyboard ages old ;)
Id like a tweakers WRX80 dual cpu board, akin to skt 1207

Better yet tr and epyc on same exact platform
Lets wait and see fact is the WRX80 will not be cheap at all, as all heavy workstation boards are kinda high prices.
But lets be honest i am pretty sure those will be like the xeon boards the best you can get.
However those who game should not even look at these boards at all, they are build to last and often use ECC memory which games really do not like.
The question is will the TRX80 chipset be able to run faster memory or will it again be limited for safety as usual.
Ofcourse i have to add that even though 5000 mhz memory is available its not going to make a great jump in performance like everyone is expecting. I certainly use 3000+ memory but overall the gain is not so high.
The only thing which is not going fast enough for me is drive speed, even though i like nvme its not as fast as for instance the intel pci ssd cards. They excel in synthetic benchmarks but at normal tasks second hand enterprise ssd beat the nvme at its own game. I use many used enterprise ssd because companies constant replace them to prevent data loss might happen. But i promise you those second hand drives can last very long in you pc.
Most of these drives have a super high number of write cycles, let me be straight here they can die ofcourse.
But i use them since intel released the first ssd's those are what about 15 years old or something near.
But they still run perfect " with zero failures up to now" in my nas a read/write cache and i used them alot in raid 0 with 4 or 8 of them to store my games and heavy programs on them and the loaded every virtual machines from and on them ( constant updated also ) so the read and writes are so high i will not even try to copy them over for you to see. And they still running like nothing has been written on them since the first day.
Ofcourse i admit i constant take care of them and keep a good bit free but this far non of them has more than 20 cells locked as unusable yet .... 15 year heavy usage try that with a hard drive.
Anyway lets wait and see how they are going to implement these in reality, but i really consider switching to the trx80 because that would alow me to run much more and hopefully very fast ram memory.
But i admit to wait till people have used them, because i really know how nasty latency can work out.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Why would gamers need 4 channel memory and even more cores? (that's what TR is about, right?)

They don't this for workstations, think cad, 3d editing,movie production, math.

System Name LazyOldMan
Processor 9900KF
Motherboard Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Corsair custom Watercooled
Memory 64 Gb
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT
Storage Too much to mention in all 980 TB
Display(s) 2 x Dell 4K @ 60 hz
Case Crap case
Audio Device(s) Realtek + Bayer Dynamics 990 Pro headset
Power Supply 1300 watt
Mouse Corsair cord mouse
Keyboard Corsair red lighter cabled keyboard ages old ;)
Why would gamers need 4 channel memory and even more cores? (that's what TR is about, right?)

Actually its about the need for certain extras the normal gamer motherboards lack.
For insance my main issue is that even though you have 3 nvme slots they almost allways share this pci-e lane with each other or worse even with the gpu slot.
The even worse scenario is what i detected on several motherboards is that when you want to use 2 gpu in your system.
You have on many motherboards that it they switch to 8x + 8x which is kinda no problem unless you use also a nvme expansion card ... which makes all port swicth to x4 ....
But worse is some switch to 8x + 4 x making the second card run pretty darn slow, even without a 3th slot used
Now with each new generation of pci-e we expect that the theoretical speed kinda doubles, but this is also not really true except on paper in reality its a lot less
Then why do some of the people who also are gamers want these boards and actually would sometimes love at trx80 or the wrx80 boards ...
The reason is simple the enormous amount of real available pci-e lanes on these boards to make it possible to really use the slots at full 16X speeds regardless the amount of cards pushed in the slots
I actually have used quad or duo xeon boards from servers because you can get alot working like a charm without the sharing a pci-e lane issues
And often have more than enough extra slots on the boards to make the most demanding users happy that they can use a combination of needed devices without too much stress.
For instance most workstation boards have native biforcation onboard, so super combiantion with plenty of nvme cards with 4 slots filled are no problem and allow you to have loads of possibilities top make use of, so also allowing you to have indeed 3 or 6 different network cards work perfect.
For instance many of my friends have alot of thunderbold 3 devices because their hobby is audio and video related stuff the need for massive and super fast storage is pretty darn high if you work with the highest quality of sound and video and i mean really insane numbers. Some of them even started creating 8K or higher content already.
But there is alot more what can make you desire a high end motherboard.
I actually wanted to make use from TB3 devices for a long time but could not get most of the consumer boards with TB3 work as intended and also wanted a raid0 of 3 nvme disks but besides that i use massive storage on ssd and backup those to my 4x 6 TB harddrives
I ended up to have to buy a exernal NAS because this is impossible to do with a consumer based motherboard even the most expenssive ones fight with each component for instance my current top of the line motherboard will not allow me to use more than one NIC it simply goes berserk especially if i try to use and the 10 Gb nic, 1Gb nic and the ax wifi together it really does not work. you end up with a crashing system even though all 3 networks are absolute 3 separate ones. So my guess is again the sharing pci-e lanes with other devices blocking the usage.
This also blocks my need for more harddrives as well because when you use 2 or 3 nvme ssd your 8 sata ports get disbled well actually the 4 because i found that those also have shared slots or a limit on the maximum used ports. So when you think buy a board with a second sata controle. well guess what i actually have that but again the same freaking problem the pci-e slots are shared so even though its all available you can only choose which one can be used or not and the second problem is that the second sata controller can only address 4 drives thats it.
So my final conclusion is that sharing is not really working EVEN when many people claim this irq sharing is solved ... ITS NOT.
You consant end up having issues that high capacity devices need their own IRQ and need their own PCI-E lane if not they end up in conflict and fighting over the access.
I admit at some things its not so important but when using high speed devices and getting 1/4 or less the speed you feel pretty betrayed with such super expenssive and fast devices.
Not even mentioning the price you payed for a super gamer motherboard which actually does not give what you payed for it.
But as the much cheaper ones only allows some of the build in options to actually work, but almost never together.

:peace:

Regardless of marketing the TR platform itself isn't a mainstream platform to begin with... Agree on getting it for epeen points is pointless.

I can see companies like Qnap & maybe even Synology (if ending their love affair with Intel) creating turnkey self contained easy to use Servers/NAS units with all that their Linux OS distros are capable of doing now from running Docker services like an oracle database, multiple VMs, cloud services, image & video recognition & cataloging...etc... It's easy to blow right by 16 cores with just a few people or applications. It's fun to finally see this level of hardware potentially being offered directly to consumers at reasonable prices (in Enterprise terms).
Actually they already just released the first AMD based models which i already knew would come.
Its no longer intel alone, it will be now a mix intel and amd from now on.
Even though it will take a while to see more models also sporting AMD cpu's i am pretty sure it will happen if AMD also creates power effecient with lesser cores workstation cpus
Because now its still power efficient xeon models what they use, because it does not need to be much more in many NAS devices
I really can not think what a 24 core cpu would need todo on a NAS with most of its cores ;), even if you have a small/medium business its simply overkill
Only very small business take the risk to have everything running on one single device. When growing they rapidly need more cpu power than most nas can provide.
Because the bigger and faster NAS are often not cheap either so growing company most of the time choose to place a cheaper server instead of having everything on one device.
And to be honest i have worked with companies who really used their NAS devices to darn well that they where pretty busy doing just that what they needed todo.
Adding more tasks would cripple the performance for the high need of providing images and restoring the client machines to the original state ( high security environments)

Last edited:
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
They are not just gamers, they do other things besides gaming. But it's there to game when they choose so. That's the key.

I just realized this thread is from 2019.