• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GLOBALFOUNDRIES and TSMC Announce Resolution of Global Disputes Through Patent Cross-Licensing

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
The interesting part is: why do you think any "saved money" would be used to lower prices for consumers? Is there any gain for the companies? :D

Funnily enough, if you think about it, there is already a profit loss just from throwing around lawyers to sue each other, then again for settling the whole issue after less than a month and probably even for simply redacting the news piece for their press rooms :D :laugh:

Expect prices to rise a couple cents at the very least :roll:

Funnily enough, if you think about it, there is already a profit loss just from throwing around lawyers to sue each other, then again for settling the whole issue after less than a month and probably even for simply redacting the news piece for their press rooms :D :laugh:
Most people on this forum run around saying that competition is great and that competition makes stuff more affordable.
But then this happens and suddenly people start to believe in magic. In tomorrow's thread: does opening a fridge cool down the house?

Suing someone for patent infringement is competition in it's purest form. You've worked harder than someone else and you make a better product. You have to defend your work - your designs and methods. And using lawyers is how we do it in the civilized world.
I don't know what some people expect. Should these companies hire private armies and settle this on a battlefield? Is that supposed to be cheaper or what? :eek:

So now competition is over. GF and TSMC started cooperating and they'll be able to raise prizes. They likely divided the market so that there's no direct competition.

Or, and this is still the scenario that I find most likely, GF is going to be sold and TSMC has some interest in how that ends.

What do you even talking about? Most important is that (for some years now) Intel doesn't have best fabs in the world.

If you remember "magical" reduction of Intel prices when Zen came out, also coupled with sudden i3 with 4 full cores and i5 with 6, you might reconsider competition and magic statement.

If not for Zen, I would put a bet i3 would still have 2/4 cores/thread.

It's virtually impossible that GF/TSMC form higher prices, they are still competitors, they have different roadmaps and customers. And there are Intel and Samsung (who briefly was no.1 chip producer)

And I can't understand why you seemingly have a pick on me, I own PC (8088) since 1987, and this is just new account. Otherwise, I was here since forever, and there's no need to 'let me know what my place in the food-chain is' - perhaps you're not doing it, I came to that thought because 'do you even know GF...' - yes, and also why and what their quality was during AMD era - Athlon/Thunderbird/64-bit CPU, etc - whole era when AMD become Intels' peer and have been leader in some aspects - both at top-tier and lower performance/g on lower.

Also:
"IBM and Samsung jointly announced the world's first 5nm gate-all-around FET chip in 2017. "

Perhaps you'll now understand better the real worth of IBM patents...

If you remember "magical" reduction of Intel prices when Zen came out, also coupled with sudden i3 with 4 full cores and i5 with 6, you might reconsider competition and magic statement.
?
Yes, that was thanks to AMD aggressive pricing. Intel would ask more otherwise. But going for more cores was planned for sure. They launched these CPUs way to quickly.
On the other hand, what's happening now - with more focus on HEDT as an alternative to top AM4 options - is forced by Intel's fab issues. They either can't make large, fast 10nm chips or they simply aren't interested in such a tiny and unimportant market. But the reason for both is the same: Intel's 10nm (just like TSMC's 7nm) is precious.
It's virtually impossible that GF/TSMC form higher prices, they are still competitors, . And there are Intel and Samsung (who briefly was no.1 chip producer)
Why is it impossible? There's a law of nature that forbids that?
They made a deal. Everything companies do has the single goal of earning more.
The sole reason to make such a deal is to compete less - be it on a market or in court. Deals aren't needed otherwise.
they have different roadmaps and customers
If they have different roadmaps (products?) and customers, they are not competitors.
I said earlier that they may divide the market - just like they divide the Ryzen SoC (GF makes IO die, TSMC makes Zen dies).
And I can't understand why you seemingly have a pick on me, I own PC (8088) since 1987, and this is just new account. Otherwise, I was here since forever, and there's no need to 'let me know what my place in the food-chain is' - perhaps you're not doing it, I came to that thought because 'do you even know GF...' - yes, and also why and what their quality was during AMD era - Athlon/Thunderbird/64-bit CPU, etc - whole era when AMD become Intels' peer and have been leader in some aspects - both at top-tier and lower performance/g on lower.
I don't understand this rant.
I don't pick on you. I hardly care whether you have a new account or not and even less if you've been here for a long time.

What I care about is that your comments don't make much sense or are obviously incorrect.
And you don't know how to use forums, because you don't quote - which makes the "I was here since forever" argument even less likely (but still insignificant).

You clearly have highly personal motive for this, and way too little facts. On each of your "point", I can answer with a question, which is basically what you just did... I'm, however calm and unemotional, and won't continue this senseless "discussion". Maybe you have something to prove (in no relation with the topic), but I do not.

And you don't know how to use forums, because you don't quote

Yes, I know how to quote, and don't see any reason why I should, in certain cases. How about trolling kids who quote large posts and follow up with "ROFL"? When I was admin, I clearly stated that it's not allowed, they may shorten text and go to max 3 levels of quoting. *That* forum was very clean and readable...

I will write MY posts however I bloody like it, if it's not against the rules - and there is no such a rule here. Actually, your statement is funny, where you even heard that mandatory quote nonsense?