• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 To Launch Come December 12th

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
All I'm going to say is that December 12 is a big day for Navi.

System Name CaccAMD
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar MAX
Cooling EK Fluid Gaming A240
Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16GB(8x2) 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2060 ROG Strix Gaming OC 6GB
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Display(s) AOC G2460Fq
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Blackwindows Tournament Edition Chroma Stealth
Software Win 10 64bit
Then learn to assess the product through good tech review sites such as this one. Assuming you read the review above you're knowledgable enough to make an independent assessment of whether the product is good enough for you.

LoL. where and when I have written and said that the product is not good?. LoL man. But don't worry, you're right. :laugh::nutkick::toast::D

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
All I'm saying is that people on the fence about Navi should consider waiting (if they can) until the RX 5500 launches (which OP says is December 12). I didn't intend to convey any more meaning than that.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
All I'm saying is that people on the fence about Navi should consider waiting (if they can) until the RX 5500 launches (which OP says is December 12). I didn't intend to convey any more meaning than that.
Ahh...gotcha. The "big day for navi" threw me off.

If I had to guess...it is looking like 1650 Super to 1660 performance with higher power draw and similar pricing. I don't imagine it to be earth shattering, but a good option in its space.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I was interested in buying the 5700XT these days, but according to several forums there are still driver issues for example stuttering, frame drops. Isnt the 5500 like to have the same problems?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I was interested in buying the 5700XT these days, but according to several forums there are still driver issues for example stuttering, frame drops. Isnt the 5500 like to have the same problems?
As someone who moves both AMD and Nvidia hardware around a lot (it's part of my day job) I've found a lot of the "stuttering, frame drops" issues aren't GPU-specific, or even driver-specific:

What has caught me out multiple times with stuttering/hitching is using the game/application config from a previous graphics card. If you can clear the ini files or reset all graphics options to default again, that often solves stuttering and frame drops that occur even when the CPU/GPU are capable of vastly higher frame rates than necessary.

My guess is that there are dozens of different permutations of refresh rate/buffering method/v-sync type/render-ahead limits that game engines and application settings save somewhere and those settings that work best for Nvidia doesn't necessarily work well for AMD and vice-versa.

A common issue with moving from Nvidia to AMD is 1 stutter/hitch a second when gaming and usually setting vsync and buffering to "application decides" in the driver and then turning vsync off/on again solves it for me.

I've found a lot of the "stuttering, frame drops" issues aren't GPU-specific, or even driver-specific:
Oh yeah? Perhaps sometimes it can be managed by resetting settings, but....

Here is a release note/fix from yesterday's AMD driver launch.....
Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience stutter in some games at 1080p and low game settings.
clearly these issues are real (and on both sides at times). But he seems to have a valid concern. The good news is, this driver addresses that issue. :)

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Oh yeah? Perhaps some times it can be managed by resetting settings, but....

Here is a release note/fix from yesterday's AMD driver launch.....

I didn't guaranatee that was a fix for every instance. Maybe 4/5 times I encounter it, the problem can be resolved by resetting or choosing the right settings. As you point out, sometimes there are known issues that require game-dev or GPU driver updates to resolve.

I didn't guaranatee that was a fix for every instance. Maybe 4/5 times I encounter it, the problem can be resolved by resetting or choosing the right settings. As you point out, sometimes there are known issues that require game-dev or GPU driver updates to resolve.
I didn't say you did (I even said sometimes it can be fixed that way.....................o_O). I was simply stating that his concerns are legit and AMD has addressed them. ;)

Last edited:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
The only complaints I now have with Navi (but have definitely identified as Navi-specific) are super-obscure
  • Scaled Powerpoint video previews go to hell, but Powerpoint plays the video just fine in full-screen and any other player can deal with those videos in a scaled windows without issue.
  • Pre-boot display detection is wonky on the reference cards - both the 5700XT and the 5700 can hang if a display is detected but not contactable (display is asleep but connected). Easy to workaround (wake up the display before booting PC)
Given that we're still in the first 6 months of a new GPU architecture, I'm actually reasonably impressed with AMD's driver team. It's not been perfect but aside from some wonky pre-launch drivers given to reviewers, most of the major issues were dealt with in the first month or so and the list of minor annoyances is being whittled down at a non-trivial pace.

I'd have less tolerance of AMD's driver hiccups if Nvidia was flawless but whilst Nvidia has the dominant marketshare and game-dev attention, their insistance on locking excellent features behind the sign-in-so-we-can-harvest-your-usage-data Geforce Experience really irks me, as does the fact that the control panel is a Windows XP relic and that Nvidia still don't offer any official control of fan speeds or clockspeeds in their driver.

You should report those issues so they can be confirmed and resolved.

It's funny you mention tolerance for problems, but for the nvidia side only mention log in for GFE. I get you there I do...but as an enthusiast, I've only installed GFE to see what it was about. I encourage all who have half a clue to never install it. Those without, go for it. I dont know, I see the beef you have, just think there are bigger fish to fry than an outdated (but perfectly functional and ergonomic) control panel and logging in to receive all features. :)

Though you have a point with the fan control...that said, if you need to adjust it, chances are you have downloaded the card's software anyway.