• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aqua Computer Announces the OCTO - 8-channel Fan Controller

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Shortly before Christmas, the German company Aqua Computer introduces a new 8-channel controller for PWM fans. The control with the name OCTO impresses with an enormous range of functions and this on a surface smaller than a credit card.

In addition to the core function of a fan controller, the device also offers two channels for digitally controllable LEDs and can control up to 180 LEDs with many effects. In addition to Aqua Computer's own RGBpx LED products, the OCTO can also be connected to LEDs from many third party manufacturers via optionally available adapters.

The most important functions at a glance:
  • Programmable 8-channel fan controller
  • Eight fan outputs with up to 25 watts power per channel and speed monitoring, 100 watts total power
  • All fan outputs with 4-pin plug and adjustable via PWM signal
  • All fan outputs can be switched off completely
  • Control parameters can be adjusted in many ways
  • Four temperature sensor inputs
  • 16 further measured values can be transferred from PC to OCTO via aquasuite software
  • Flow sensor input
  • Two RGBpx LED outputs for LED strips and fans with individually addressable LEDs
  • USB 2.0 intterface
  • aquasuite software for comfortable adjustment, analysis and visualisation of all sensor data
  • aquabus interface: When connected to an aquaero 5/6, the fan outputs can be controlled via the aquaero

Fan controller
The eight fan ports of the OCTO can be configured individually. Thanks to the high output power of 25 watts per channel, it is also possible to connect several fans to one output of the OCTO via suitable splitters.

In addition to a manual adjustment of the fans, temperature-controlled operation is also possible. Both setpoint controllers and individually adjustable control curves are available for this purpose. Optionally, the connected fan can be switched off completely if the temperature falls below the set temperature, or it can continue to run with an adjustable minimum output. An intelligent start boost function with monitoring of the speed signal can be activated for each channel to start the fans safely.

All fan outputs are only suited for PWM fans with four-pin connectors and are protected against overload.

RGBpx control device for addressable LEDs
The OCTO has two RGBpx outputs for the individual control of up to 180 addressable LEDs. Each LED can be individually adjusted in color and brightness. A total of twelve LED groups of variable size can be configured, to which visual effects can then be assigned.

The 23 available effects offer extensive setting options for further individualization. Many effects also offer the possibility to modify effect parameters (e.g. speed) depending on current sensor values. The available effects also include sound-to-light effects that react to the sound currently played by the computer.

The AMBIENTpx effect deserves special notice, replicating the border area of the current monitor display on connected LEDs, allowing for an impressive background lighting surrounding the monitor.

As an alternative to the LED strips offered by Aqua Computer, Corsair and NZXT LED fans can also be used for lighting effects using the optional RGBpx Splitty4 adapter.

Adapters for the connector used by Asus and other mainboard manufacturers are also available.

Demonstration video of the RGBpx effects:

Usage as aquabus extension device possible
In addition to its use as an autonomous USB fan controller, the OCTO can also be used as an aquabus extension for an aquaero 5 or aquaero 6. In this case, the aquaero can use the eight fan outputs of the OCTO for its own control functions.

Technical data
  • Dimensions without inserted cable: approx. 76 x 48 x 15 mm
  • Supply voltage: 5 V, 12 V
  • Fan output power: maximum 25 watts per channel, 100 watts total output power
  • PWM control signal: 0 - 100 %, resolution 0.1 %

Scope of supply
  • OCTO Controller
  • one temperature sensor, length approx. 70 cm
  • one internal USB connection cable, length approx. 100 cm
  • mounting material

Price and availability
OCTO is available as of now at a price of 54.90 Euro.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Looks pretty promising. I've used both the GRID/HUE comba and now a Commander pro but it's nice to have options.

The NZXT products were sub par hardware and absolutely abysmal software.

The commander pro has been very good to me.

System Name Lovely Milky Milky
Processor 7800X at 4GHz
Motherboard EVGA X299 FTW K
Cooling Custom milky loop
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz quad channel
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1080Ti SeaHawk EK X
Storage A-DATA 512GB M.2, 750GB Samsung SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD's
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved 144Hz 1440p
Case Aerocool Quartz Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seagate Snow Silent 750W
Mouse Fnatic Flick 2
Keyboard Drevo Blademaster TE
Software Windows 10 Pro
If the software is good then this is a great and dare I say quite well priced controller with some great features.
PWM and ARGB is impressive

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Dual custom loops
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3200C14 B-Die
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Reference
Storage ADATA SX8200 480GB, Inland Premium 2TB, various HDDs
Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Fulla 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Titanium SE 1000W
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Drop CTRL, lubed and filmed Halo Trues
Four temperature sensor inputs, but still no support for virtual sensors I bet.

System Name Batman's CaseLabs Mercury S8 Work Computer
Processor 8086K 5.3Ghz binned delidded by Siliconlottery.com 5.5Ghz 6c12t 5.6Ghz 6c6t on ambient air
Motherboard EVGA Z390 DARK
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking so far Noctua Industrial PWM fan 2000rpm rated (700rpm inaudible)
Memory Gskill Trident Z Royal Silver F4-4600C18D-16GTRS running at 4500Mhz 17-17-17-37 (new mem OC) : )
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD W5400 7nm workstation card coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 900P 280GB PCIe card as Primary OS drive / (4) Samsung 860Pro 256GB SATA internal
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench chassis two-tone black front cover with gunmetal frame
Audio Device(s) Creative $25 2.1 speakers lol
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 700watt fanless
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / Glorious Model D matte black / Razer Invicta mousing mat gunmetal
Keyboard HHKB Hybrid Type-S black printed keycaps
Software Work Apps text and statistical
Benchmark Scores Single Thread scores at 5.6Ghz: Cinebench R15 ST - 249 CPU-Z ST - 676 PassMark CPU ST - 3389
If the software is good then this is a great and dare I say quite well priced controller with some great features.
PWM and ARGB is impressive

If the software is good? :roll:

Last I heard, AquaSuite software is/was the highest performing, most functional and comprehensive - fan pump lighting system monitoring control software available on Planet Earth. lol

I'm using the insider version X.9. Yet upon opening the suite this morning - lo and behold - there's my invitation to update to insider version X.10 just released, umm today... :clap:

When you initially install the software, simply remember to select the "notify about new insider versions" update box. (red arrow below) :)

Making it possible to dnld the newest and most recent unpublished extremely secret variant available only to a select few elite hardware enthusiasts. (or anyone else who checked the box) :laugh:

AquaSuite X9-X10.jpg

Even better: you can use the virtual software sensors from the playground to do whatever you want - your imagination is the only limit.

Just three examples:

OCTO can process up to 16 of these self-created sensors.

Woooo Hoooo. MAD LOVE for the ShoggDogg! :p

Thanks for the X.x versions Shoggy. I'm STILL running my Aquaero 6 LT from 2013 on my 2ndary rig and another Aquaero 6 LT (from 2015) along with a Vision Touch module on my Primary work rig.

I haven't played in the Playground yet - something new to explore...

Woooooooots. :clap:

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

Last edited:
This looks really promising, especially the option to buy adapters for other brand products. My commander pro has been great, but having options would be better. The software looks good too.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
I have used a Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT controller for a year now and hornestly the controller and software really works well. At first glance the software can be a little bit confusing. But when I first got used to it, it's really brilliant to use the software. So many funktions and ways to set it up. I have 12 pwm fans connected to it and it handles it flawless.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Even better: you can use the virtual software sensors from the playground to do whatever you want - your imagination is the only limit.

Just three examples:

OCTO can process up to 16 of these self-created sensors.
This something I can get into, but can it beat SpeedFan's temp control? Software controlled is a must have. I used to use a GRID+ but instead of having separate fan controls, I just plugged everything into the Phanteks fan hub and use SpeedFan as a 'one size fits all' fan controller.

Something like this could let me separate fans and do so much more. I did find one bug with Conan Exiles and Speedfan (I reported it but as usual it fell on deaf ears), what happens is Conan Exiles interferes with the temp sensor readings in SpeedFan and short of rebooting the PC, there is nothing else I can do. So since this is relatively new, please look into this as a potential breaking bug @Shoggy. Thanks

Also, Im not sure about the 25 watts per channel for fans, I'd like to see 30-35 watts, for 3-4 fans.

Shoggy

Aqua Computer Rep
This something I can get into, but can it beat SpeedFan's temp control?

Also, Im not sure about the 25 watts per channel for fans, I'd like to see 30-35 watts, for 3-4 fans.
What are you looking for? I don't think that speedfan can do anything that the aquasuite can't do.

If you need more power you have to grab the aquaero 6. It offers 30W per channel and up to 36W when used with the passive heatsink.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Looks good but I wonder why they'd advertise it at 25w a channel and then say it's limited to 100w?? Seems a little odd...

Shoggy

Aqua Computer Rep
Looks good but I wonder why they'd advertise it at 25w a channel and then say it's limited to 100w?? Seems a little odd...
Pretty normal thing and limited by physics. You can not push 200W through a single power plug nor would the board be able to handle such a load. A PSU with 10 plugs where I can connect 100W to a plug will also not turn the PSU into a 1000W model ;)

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Through a single molex I'm not surprised, maybe a newer version with a 6 pin PCIe cable? :)

I'll stick with my current fan controller, 60w a channel, 5 channels :) I'm not yet in need of any RGB just yet :)

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Why do they have to use weird 4 pin LED connections instead of LED industry standard 3 pin JST connectors? I hate that. And why is it that it can only control 180 pixels when a $10 generic controller that isn't connected to a PC or PC brand can control 2048 pixels at a minimum? I'm guessing it's an issue of power, so then why not allow for power injection at the opposite end of the LED strip like you can do with LED strips outside of a PC environment? A typical 60 LEDs/meter strip at 5 meters (300 LEDs draws approximately 72 watts, so it's not like it's a huge power draw... Something that can easily be done with an adapter cable plugged into your PSU.... This is why I I just took an arduino and housed it in a brushed stainless steel casing I made for it and placed it in the back of my PC to control my LEDs with FASTLED programming library.... Now I have all the RGB strip control I want, no limit on pixels and don't have to have multiple RGB software suites

Processor 8086K 5.3Ghz binned delidded by Siliconlottery.com 5.5Ghz 6c12t 5.6Ghz 6c6t on ambient air
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking so far Noctua Industrial PWM fan 2000rpm rated (700rpm inaudible)
Memory Gskill Trident Z Royal Silver F4-4600C18D-16GTRS running at 4500Mhz 17-17-17-37 (new mem OC) : )
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD W5400 7nm workstation card coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 900P 280GB PCIe card as Primary OS drive / (4) Samsung 860Pro 256GB SATA internal
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench chassis two-tone black front cover with gunmetal frame
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / Glorious Model D matte black / Razer Invicta mousing mat gunmetal
Benchmark Scores Single Thread scores at 5.6Ghz: Cinebench R15 ST - 249 CPU-Z ST - 676 PassMark CPU ST - 3389
Are the Quadro and Octo PWM output only?

So if you use a combination of PWM and DC fans you still need an Aquaero 6? :confused:

Shoggy

Aqua Computer Rep
Are the Quadro and Octo PWM output only?

So if you use a combination of PWM and DC fans you still need an Aquaero 6? :confused:
Correct, QUADRO and OCTO can be only used with PWM fans/pumps.
aquaero and poweradjust are the only devices that offer voltage control.

Correct, QUADRO and OCTO can be only used with PWM fans/pumps.
aquaero and poweradjust are the only devices that offer voltage control.

Love to update at least one of my Aquaero 6 XTs (modded to LTs) with a new Aquaero 7.

Even the smallest possibility an Aquaero 7 will be announced over the next 24months? :)

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What I want to know if you can get RGBpx support through the Aquero if you connect the Octo.

I don't think you can actually do any addressable/digital RGB control via the AQ6.

Shoggy

Aqua Computer Rep
What I want to know if you can get RGBpx support through the Aquero if you connect the Octo.

I don't think you can actually do any addressable/digital RGB control via the AQ6.
No, RGBpx is way too complex to be controlled via aquabus.

I guess that means no. :roll:

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well I guess that'll be the defining feature of the oft rumoured Aquero 7...

Though I will be abusing my AQ6LT because I'm going to hang 35W pumps off two of the fan controller ports... Muahaha...

I just wanted to cut back on the number of cables running to the mobo, need a usb port splitter too at this rate.

System Name Lovely Milky Milky
Processor 7800X at 4GHz
Motherboard EVGA X299 FTW K
Cooling Custom milky loop
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz quad channel
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1080Ti SeaHawk EK X
Storage A-DATA 512GB M.2, 750GB Samsung SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD's
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved 144Hz 1440p
Case Aerocool Quartz Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seagate Snow Silent 750W
Mouse Fnatic Flick 2
Keyboard Drevo Blademaster TE
Software Windows 10 Pro
If the software is good? :roll:

Last I heard, AquaSuite software is/was the highest performing, most functional and comprehensive - fan pump lighting system monitoring control software available on Planet Earth. lol

I'm using the insider version X.9. Yet upon opening the suite this morning - lo and behold - there's my invitation to update to insider version X.10 just released, umm today... :clap:

When you initially install the software, simply remember to select the "notify about new insider versions" update box. (red arrow below) :)

Making it possible to dnld the newest and most recent unpublished extremely secret variant available only to a select few elite hardware enthusiasts. (or anyone else who checked the box) :laugh:

View attachment 139786

Woooo Hoooo. MAD LOVE for the ShoggDogg! :p

Thanks for the X.x versions Shoggy. I'm STILL running my Aquaero 6 LT from 2013 on my 2ndary rig and another Aquaero 6 LT (from 2015) along with a Vision Touch module on my Primary work rig.

I haven't played in the Playground yet - something new to explore...

Woooooooots. :clap:

View attachment 139788
View attachment 139789

Well that endorsement is certainly worth a look, I won't question it as I haven't used it myself and look forward to having the opportunity to give it a shot :)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1