• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Stock Broke All-Time Record for the Company, Peaked at $49.10 per Share

Space Lynx

Astronaut
problem with AMD regarding long term growth is what happens when performance gains hit a wall of 5% gains every two years. I imagine in 2023 silicon is going to hit a wall and shrinkage will net no performance gains. I could be wrong. AMD is going to break 100 a share I think once the next gen consoles launch, more server adoption, ryzen 4000 series is going to be another big 15-17% leap in IPC... Navi 2 is going to go head to head with nvidia high end this time (with latest drivers the 5700 xt is only 10 fps slower than 1080 ti, launch drivers it was 20-30 fps slower).

AMD will see more growth, but long term, this is a niche market and the performance gains will hit a wall eventually, it's one of the reasons Nvidia is pushing RTX so hard, because they know the wall is right around the corner and they need a new strategy to sell cards 3-4 years down the line.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
AMD had Opteron Dual cores before desktop launch of athlon x2, AMD was first to dual core, Intel was first to desktop dual core.
Not that it matters now... just a point of history.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Scythe Ninja 4
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3000 CL14 (Corsair)
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 3080 @ 1620 MHz @ 0.7V
Storage Crucial MX500 500 GB, SanDisk 3.84 TB SSD, Toshiba X300 6 TB
Display(s) Acer XF270HU, Philips 252B9
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair RM850i
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Cherry Stream 3.0
Software Windows 10 x64
Opteron DC was launched the same day as A64 X2 - May 31st 2005.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Even though I don't have stock in AMD , the article is so we'll written it almost brought "a tear" from my eyes.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Yes they were.
Glue together desktop dies, according to Intel own marketing slides should be completely useless :laugh:
What is even more ironic is the 28-core XCC dies are technically HEDT dies now,
so Intel also glued together 2 of them to make the 56-core Xeon 9200 series.
And if I remember correctly, the Prescotts ran hot as fuck.
Nobody cared that Core 2 was clocked slower than their predecessors when they saw how well it actually performed.
We're back to what it was back in the early 2000s. It's not how high you can clock your processors, it's what you can do with those GHz that really matters (ie. instructions per clock).

Intel is using the brute force method to get more performance (higher clock speeds) which as we have seen is only contributing to higher power usage and more heat. AMD is taking the IPC approach, in the end (unless Intel pulls a rabbit out of their hat) AMD is going to win.

Intel needs a new architecture, the Core architecture is done; there's no more gas in the tank whereas with Zen AMD is still finding ways to get more out of it yet not have to turn to high clocks to get the performance like Intel has to with Core.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I bought $3k of AMD shares when it hit $9.13 some years ago. I still have not sold it, and I bought some more between 21-23.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I bought $3k of AMD shares when it hit $9.13 some years ago. I still have not sold it, and I bought some more between 21-23.

how did you buy them? I almost bought at $2 a share but honestly some of the part that held me back is I just had no idea what i was doing, where to go, how to buy it, etc. I was just going to call EdwardJones and ask them but I'm sure they would have been a hefty fee... so i dunno

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
how did you buy them? I almost bought at $2 a share but honestly some of the part that held me back is I just had no idea what i was doing, where to go, how to buy it, etc. I was just going to call EdwardJones and ask them but I'm sure they would have been a hefty fee... so i dunno

Try Ameritrade.

You can do it online with minimal fees.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Fyi and operton dual core launched April 2005 and was the first x86 dual core on the market.

Opteron 800 series socket 940 if you want to find the first

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
I have a etrade acccount and I used to be a research stock analyst with a major investment bank from 2005-2008.

And if I remember correctly, the Prescotts ran hot as fuck.

We're back to what it was back in the early 2000s. It's not how high you can clock your processors, it's what you can do with those GHz that really matters (ie. instructions per clock).

Intel is using the brute force method to get more performance (higher clock speeds) which as we have seen is only contributing to higher power usage and more heat. AMD is taking the IPC approach, in the end (unless Intel pulls a rabbit out of their hat) AMD is going to win.

Intel needs a new architecture, the Core architecture is done; there's no more gas in the tank whereas with Zen AMD is still finding ways to get more out of it yet not have to turn to high clocks to get the performance like Intel has to with Core.

I think Intel's new Core replacement architecture is here and its called Cove.

You are forgetting one key thing from back then - process advantage. Intel was anything between a node to 3 ahead of AMD. The gap was at its widest with FX, although Phenom II wasn't that bad. Here the situation is nearly diametrically opposite!
Not really. When Core came out in 2006 both companies had access to 65nm and it remained fairly close until 2011 (32nm: Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer).
So the gap in node appeared after there was already a gap in products.

I have a etrade acccount and I used to be a research stock analyst with a major investment bank from 2005-2008.
Oh please. After a crypto period this forum is going to become an AMD stock speculation den? :/

LOL. AMD has made a significant improvement in IPC after a year of negligence and they got barely in front of Intel for a short moment.
And from that you're creating the whole theory that AMD is after IPC and Intel isn't.
They already have one. You're just not paying attention. Or you're not interested in anything that you can't put in your blinking gaming desktop.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Yeah but that at least three to four years away on the desktop platform.

problem with AMD regarding long term growth is what happens when performance gains hit a wall of 5% gains every two years.
The real problem with AMD is what will happen when they get to 25-30% market share (assuming it's possible). How many CPUs will they be able to make on a cutting edge outsourced node? How many will have to stay on an older one (exactly the issue Intel has today).

Gamers and desktops enthusiasts may be fine with the idea of 3950X that wins reviews but is almost impossible to buy. This will not fly in general market.

And of course there's a problem with AMD stock itself. It's few times overvalued at the moment. I have no idea why anyone would want to buy at this point.

Yeah but that at least three to four years away on the desktop platform.
I'm pretty sure Tiger Lake (or at least Ice Lake) will arrive in desktops earlier.

Of course it's the least important market so Intel would love to over servers first.
However, if their 10nm supply isn't large enough for Xeon lineup, they may as well move it to high-end desktops.

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
Wasn't the Pentium D simply two Prescott Pentium 4's glued together?

And what was even worse was that to communicate with the other die it had to go through the FSB to do it which slowed it down quite a lot, there was no core-2-core interconnect on the substrate itself, thankfully Intel fixed that with the Core2 series.

Good to see AMD back where they were 20 years ago financially. Took em a while and they were almost "dead" a few times between then but they made it all the same.

Good to see AMD back where they were 20 years ago financially. Took em a while and they were almost "dead" a few times between then but they made it all the same.
Financially?
They aren't even close to 2010 - their best year recently.

2000 was excellent, with huge earnings (was better than today).
Years 1997-1999 (so the period 20 years before Zen) ended with a loss.

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Except they did it again with Nehalem, and then again with Sandy Bridge... Also, they have a guy working for them who is known to do these types of things, and was the guy that came up with Zen.

I don't really think it's as unlikely as you think it is... AMD was unlikely with Zen - that was a rabbit out of a hat; but again, the guy that did that has been at intel for the last 3 years.

You don't get it. All those architectures were developments of Core. Core came from Pentium-M (Banias / Dotham). Core is Yonah and is based on those predecessors. Nehalem and Sandy bridge are developments of Core. They rely on a relatively small pipeline compared to NetBurst.

Since then, they have been investing into that (Core) design paradigm. Once they switched their resources from NetBurst to Core, they were able to compete with AMD again - but that was also largely due to their huge advantage in process tech. AMD was making 45nm chips vs Intels Core on 32nm. Then AMD was on 32 and 28nm vs Intel on 22nm and 14nm. Intel had a 2 generation advantage in process tech over AMD (and everyone else).

With the SoC (mobile phone) market exploding, companies like TSMC and Samsung were injected with huge amounts of capital that has not only closed that gap but (along with Intel's bumbling) reverse that process advantage to the point that Intel is now 2 generations *behind* on process node.

Meanwhile virtually everything Intel has said about their process node development for the past 5 years has been a *lie*. Nothing but marketing hype mixed with complete dishonesty. You going to believe them now?

Most stats on the DIY / early adopter build front is that AMD is now outselling Intel something like 8:1 to 10:1. It won't take too long (maybe a year) for that to filter into the major desktop / laptop market. From there, AMD adoption will get into the server market (maybe a couple of years). Somewhere along that road Intel will no lose its ability to use its market share, to manipulate the market, in the way its done in the past. It will be on a level playing field and they aren't prepared for that.

You keep on waiting for that rabbit.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard

Oh please. After a crypto period this forum is going to become an AMD stock speculation den? :/
I hope not

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
so lets stop talking about tech and tech companies and start speculating what color underwear taylor swift or some other celebrity is wearing tomorrow..... :kookoo:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The real problem with AMD is what will happen when they get to 25-30% market share (assuming it's possible). How many CPUs will they be able to make on a cutting edge outsourced node? How many will have to stay on an older one (exactly the issue Intel has today).

Gamers and desktops enthusiasts may be fine with the idea of 3950X that wins reviews but is almost impossible to buy. This will not fly in general market.

And of course there's a problem with AMD stock itself. It's few times overvalued at the moment. I have no idea why anyone would want to buy at this point.

I'm pretty sure Tiger Lake (or at least Ice Lake) will arrive in desktops earlier.

Of course it's the least important market so Intel would love to over servers first.
However, if their 10nm supply isn't large enough for Xeon lineup, they may as well move it to high-end desktops.

I still think AMD stock will go higher as there is still room to grow and Ryzen 4000 plus consoles will sell very well, but there is a wall coming for these markets as performance gains drop off very fast in the next 5 years, I have no doubt this will be the case. The problem is timing of when that wall hits and how soon you cash out before the crash comes, and the crash will come, its all just a matter of timing and how greedy do you want to be. Nvidia is smarter than AMD because they are into healthcare, AI, and self-driving vehicles now, that is the future of profits, especially the healthcare one. AMD hasn't even touched healthcare stuff and is way behind in the other two. Short term, long term, it's all quite complicated really. AMD is still worth buying now though I guess, as long as you know around Ryzen 6000 series its time to cash out cause silicon gains will crash hard eventually.

Nice I think I would be good at something like that myself. I really enjoy researching all that stuff and debating it with people to see if its worthy investment. etrade, noted, might look into that someday when the next recession comes, markets have cycles and there will be a large crash eventually for 90% of all stocks like there was in 2008. when that day comes, investing when it hits bottom is going to be smart, cause humans will never stop spending and living, eventually they will rise back up. buy low and sell high, the world isn't going to end like so many fear, i mean yeah for some companies sure, but if you make educated cases and diversify should still be profitable.

Try Ameritrade.

You can do it online with minimal fees.

Noted, tyvm, I will compare to etrade.

well I am not going to let you or anyone else stop me from thinking and as long as w1zz doesn't feel it's off topic, it's not up to you. it's a tech stock and we are trying to power up our critical thinking skills :p

so lets stop talking about tech and tech companies and start speculating what color underwear taylor swift or some other celebrity is wearing tomorrow..... :kookoo:
There's a huge gap between talking about tech and about tech companies. Stocks, HR, PR. There's so much of it on this forum. And tech is still very poorly represented (mostly just desktop hardware).

BTW: speculating about Lisa Su's underwear is tech or not?
I still think AMD stock will go higher as there is still room to grow and Ryzen 4000 plus consoles will sell very well
Stock price is calculated as a present value of future earnings - not as a "rating" of whether a company is doing great today.

AMD's stock is priced based on large growth hopes (leading to much higher net profits).
Inflows from next gen consoles, from Zen 3,4,5..., from GPUs, from datacenter (including the supercomputer contracts) and so on - that's all in the price already.

If AMD stock was priced as Intel is (assuming a stable situation and limited growth potential) it would be around $3-5.

The really sad part is that today the stock price isn't even following AMD's financial forecasts (it's at least 2x higher).
In other words: if AMD continues to grow fast (even faster than AMD themselves say), the $50 estimation may become a reality. If it doesn't, their stock will sink.
well I am not going to let you or anyone else stop me from thinking and as long as w1zz doesn't feel it's off topic, it's not up to you. it's a tech stock and we are trying to power up our critical thinking skills :p
So learn something about finance and stock valuation. Because the "stock discussions" on this forum are not factual. You'll learn nothing useful. You'll make investing mistakes.
It's like if we discussed weather based on folklore and superstition.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
There's a huge gap between talking about tech and about tech companies. Stocks, HR, PR. There's so much of it on this forum. And tech is still very poorly represented (mostly just desktop hardware).

BTW: speculating about Lisa Su's underwear is tech or not?

Stock price is calculated as a present value of future earnings - not as a "rating" of whether a company is doing great today.

AMD's stock is priced based on large growth hopes (leading to much higher net profits).
Inflows from next gen consoles, from Zen 3,4,5..., from GPUs, from datacenter (including the supercomputer contracts) and so on - that's all in the price already.

If AMD stock was priced as Intel is (assuming a stable situation and limited growth potential) it would be around $3-5.

The really sad part is that today the stock price isn't even following AMD's financial forecasts (it's at least 2x higher).
In other words: if AMD continues to grow fast (even faster than AMD themselves say), the $50 estimation may become a reality. If it doesn't, their stock will sink.

So learn something about finance and stock valuation. Because the "stock discussions" on this forum are not factual. You'll learn nothing useful. You'll make investing mistakes.
It's like if we discussed weather based on folklore and superstition.

Thank you for the information, I did find it helpful. If we had not discussed it here I would not have learned though, so it kind of still defeats your first argument if not discussing it...

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This thread is about AMD stock so it's relevant to talk about AMD stock and where it might go.

imo almost the entire stock market is overvalued and when we hit another recession the market is overdue for a correction.

Investing in AMD or any other stock without a lot of experience and knowledge is nothing more than gambling. Better to put your money in a good Mutual Fund and let the experts make the stock buy/sell decisions.

And finally some advice given to me by a very successful man who ran an Investment firm. The average person buys when a stock is already too high because they think it will keep going up and end up selling when the stock goes way down because they panic. They end up losing money almost every time. Warren Buffett made so many billions of dollars doing the opposite of what most investors do. He was a contrarian. He bought when the price was too low. When people were panic-selling and driving the share price down. He sold when the share price went too high because people were euphoric about the stock price continuing to go up and it was already too high.

"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful."
Warren Buffett

imo almost the entire stock market is overvalued and when we hit another recession the market is overdue for a correction.
Tbh a lot of us are waiting for that, missed that bus in 2008/09 & I'm sure anyone who invested back then at the lows are reaping heaps of rewards today. The last few major dips/crashes in this part of the world were about 8-12 years apart so it's about time something like that recurred.