• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The new Microsoft Edge Browser is out of Preview and now Available for Download

Wow! Can you get any more arrogant and condescending? I don't think do.
That's one interpretation. Here's another; It's experience. Anyone who has even a modicum of understanding of the needs of privacy and computing security knows better than to use those browsers, especially IE and Edge. With Chrome, a lot of people feel they can trust Google because they know what info Google says they collect and it's generally not personal but as that non-personal info can be used to identify an individual, the safety is limited and the privacy is only partial.

Any of those can safely be used be with just a little care.
That is simply false, again especially when we're talking about IE & Edge.
and that is privacy is not the same as security.
That depends on your perspective. There are many who consider them mutually inclusive and much the same.

Reactions: bug
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I'll consider moving to it once they have the Linux version out, so I can have it on all my devices sync'd.
I bet it is lighter and faster than Firefox.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Anyone who has even a modicum of understanding of the needs of privacy and computing security knows better than to use those browsers, especially IE and Edge.
LOL Yeah right. And anyone with a modicum of understanding and experience would know IE is nothing like Edge. Yet you keep lumping them together. Your true colors just showed through, again. You hate and distrust MS therefore, you prejudge them with extreme bias.

People know what Google collects? BS! Not personal? BS! How does Amazon know what target ads to display when you visit Amazon? Because Google told Amazon what you searched for.

You want to "see" what Microsoft collects? Use Microsoft's Diagnostic Data Viewer.

To suggest Google is more trustworthy with your personal information than Microsoft is just plain ludicrous. Is Microsoft a saint? No. Never said it was. But get real.

Yet you keep lumping them together.
True, I do for a very good reason, both are made by Microsoft and are not open source. Trust is a serious problem.
You hate and distrust MS therefore, you prejudge them with extreme bias.
"Hate" is a bit too strong. Distrust? You think so? And for the record, they have well earned that distrust and bias.
You want to "see" what Microsoft collects? Use Microsoft's Diagnostic Data Viewer.
Perfect example.
To suggest Google is more trustworthy with your personal information than Microsoft is just plain ludicrous.
Android and most of it's services are open-source and are routinely checked by the community for problems. Windows is not and we have only their word to take. Google has taken great strides in striking a balance between respecting the rights of the end user and making money. Microsoft has not. Google is greatly more trustworthy than Microsoft because of their continued efforts at transparency.
Is Microsoft a saint? No. Never said it was.
No, but you are trying to build them up to be better than they are and to be something they are not; trustworthy.
But get real.
So you're saying I fail to grasp what is "real" because I have a different perspective?

However, getting back on topic, you'll note that I lumped Chrome(not Chromium) in with IE & Edge. While I firmly attest that Google has proven itself the more trustworthy company, I still will not trust Chrome as it does not operate in a manner I consider conducive to a safe(privacy protected & secure) browsing experience. Iron(a security focused fork of Chromium)? Yes. They have proven themselves worthy of trust. Comodo's Dragon(another security focused version of Chromium)? Yes, because again, Comodo has proven themselves trustworthy.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
True, I do for a very good reason, both are made by Microsoft and are not open source. Trust is a serious problem.
Gee whiz. Just because they both have the MS brand name on them, that does not make them alike. The new Edge is based entirely on the open source Chromium. IE was totally proprietary. Except for both being browsers and both having Microsoft in their names, they are as different and any two browsers can get.
So you're saying I fail to grasp what is "real" because I have a different perspective?
No. I say your fail to grasp what is real because you are so biased against Microsoft, you fail to see reality when it is staring you in the face. You decided after 10 minutes of use that Edge was no good. And why do you say it is not good. Because you don't like Microsoft.

Microsoft is not the same company it was just 5 years ago. Microsoft heard all the outcry over privacy and consumers lack of control. The new Edge just released is not the same Edge that originally came with Windows 10.

Do your homework. See We take your privacy and security seriously and actually learn how the new Edge is totally different from IE.

You are absolutely right - trust is a serious issue. But it is your issue. And the fact you think Google is less a threat than Microsoft is proof of that, just as your claim that IE is like Edge is proof of your failure to see past your prejudices. When it comes to threats to our privacy, Google is right up there with Facebook.

You decided after 10 minutes of use that Edge was no good.
No I said;
Took all of 10 minutes to dislike it
I stated only a personal preference.
And why do you say it is not good. Because you don't like Microsoft.
No, I said that because I didn't like the experience. Compared to Firefox, there is little control over the operational characteristics of the browser itself, and plugin/extension options are, let me check here.... yup, non-existent.

You are absolutely right - trust is a serious issue. But it is your issue. And the fact you think Google is less a threat than Microsoft is proof of that, just as your claim that IE is like Edge is proof of your failure to see past your prejudices. When it comes to threats to our privacy, Google is right up there with Facebook.
I compared IE and Edge to each other in a specific context, I did not call them the same browser.

Your lack of objectivity and inability to grasp context here is part of the problem. You launching a directed attack at me personally over perspectives concerning a business entity is the other. I don't care whether you think Microsoft is great or not, you don't have the right to attack someone like this. Knock it off and calm down.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I compared IE and Edge to each other in a specific context,
True - by the brand name.
:kookoo:

I did not call them the same browser.
And I did not say you did. You just suggested Edge must be bad simply because it is also made by Microsoft.
Your lack of objectivity
"My" lack of objectivity? Yeah right. All anyone has to do is search this forum (starting with this thread) and just about every time any Microsoft product is mentioned, you jump in with comments like "you don't trust Microsoft" or in this case, "I have never been a fan of Microsoft's browsers." Your first post in this thread is no exception - it was all about how you dislike and hate and don't trust - not an objective word about how Edge performs.

You justify your "hate" for edge by claiming that Edge is made by Microsoft, that Microsoft is not trustworthy, that Windows is not open source, that Google is "worthy of trust" :eek: :kookoo:, and that Comodo Dragon is trustworthy too. Not a single "objective" comment about Edge.

and plugin/extension options are, let me check here.... yup, non-existent.
Now that is just out and out false! Clearly you didn't check, but instead, assume, again, your great wealth of experience is all you need to justify your claims - even your made up ones! :(

Not only are there extensions available from the Microsoft Store, but because the new Edge is Chromium based, you can easily add Chrome extensions to Edge - something you would have known had you really checked, as you claimed you did! But you don't need to do your homework, huh?

add chrome plugins to the new edge

Oh wait, that's a Bing search - it's by Microsoft so it must be bad. Google: add chrome plugins to the new edge

And worst of all, your biases run so deep, you accuse any one who uses Chrome, Edge or IE as "witless and/or ignorant"! That's objective? NO! It is pure condescension, arrogance and downright offensive. And you went further and defended your comments by stating, "Anyone who has even a modicum of understanding of the needs of privacy and computing security knows better than to use those browsers".

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 OC
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Audio Device(s) nothing special
Power Supply converted to gas
Mouse and cat
Keyboard backlit and big letters!
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Benchmark Scores embarrassing I imagine!
All this smack talk and I can tell you first hand than on many systems over much time....edge and IE 11 (and all MS browsers before them) both suck arse compared to their known great competitors.

I don't hate on microsoft at all.....I simply see/feel the difference and acknowledge it.

This is no secret at all and almost everyone I have ever dealt with in the tech world agrees 100%.

Ignorant is not a bad word for F's sake...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
LOL Right. All sorts of objectivity in there. :rolleyes:

So you can tell "first hand" that the brand new Edge, just a few days old and which is based entirely on the "open source" Chromium engine, and which is totally different from the old Edge and every browser MS ever previously products, "suck arse"?

Wow.
Ignorant is not a bad word
True. But remaining ignorant by choice sure is not good - or objective.

Okay - as long as eyes and minds remain closed, continuing this discussion is pointless. I hope everyone has a good day. And I hope folks give the new Edge an honest, objective try. Start with a blank slate, setting aside any preconceived notions about the brand behind it and see what you think. You might be surprised.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Absolutely YES I CAN TELL!

Jesus, I don't know how you can't tell!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Then tell us! The new Edge has been out for 5 whole days. Tell us "objectively", how does the new Edge, "suck arse compared to their known great competitors"?

Forget about IE. IE is past history. This thread is about Edge and you claimed, due to your "first hand" experience "over much time", that Edge sucks arse. So please, explain how.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
You have made up your mind. Use what you want.

It is simply slower and I don't need to be objective let the developers figure it out.

I test everything often so maybe someday I will change my mind. Not today.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
You are wrong. I have not made up my mind. That's the point! I am trying it and giving it more than 10 minutes before deciding if I like it or not. It takes time to get used to all the ins and outs of new software, whether that be a new anti-malware solution, email program, word processor, OS, or browser. It takes time to make an "objective" evaluation.

As I said earlier, Pale Moon has been my default. And it was for many years. And I may go back to it because I still like it. Contrary to what some seem to think, I do NOT accept that anything Microsoft does or makes is the gold standard.

My point and most common reason for defending Microsoft when I do is to counter all the biased falsehoods posed against them or their products. They (the company and their products) already have enough flaws that false ones don't need to be manufactured by biased MS bashers!

I have not found the new Edge to be slow at all. The old Edge was. When I first started using the new Edge (Beta) it was noticeably faster than Pale Moon, IE and the old Edge. And this review suggests the same. While I have not seen any real tests, this final release of the new Edge "seems" to be even quicker than the Beta version. But I will have to give it more time to be certain since rendering web pages involves much more than just the browser speed.

And of course, speed is not the only factor when determining which browser is best - for me.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Well make up your friggin mind and let us know!

And hellotech just lost ALL credibility with me...lol.

Actually you may have also! LOL. Because that article if from july 2019 and as we all should know that might as well be 30 years in this discussion.

1 day can make a difference.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Actually you may have also! LOL. Because that article if from july 2019
Gee whiz. I said the review was for the beta version (which the article explains too) and I even went further to say I have NOT seen a review of the final release. So if being honest loses my credibility with you, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Good man... get some rest then! Then friggin decide already! LOL.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Only the first release. It has been available for testing for a while.
Right. I said way back on Friday,
It was in beta for several months before now and was available for everyone to try.
The point of my comment about 5 days was about giving it a try now that it has gone final - especially since earlier reports for the beta were promising. We can't assume no fine tuning and performance tweaking are not going on between beta and official final release. We can't assume one way or another. That's why I made a point of saying that article was on the beta version and that I have not been able to find a review of the final version.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Ummm...you are reading real relevant current reviews from...umm ....knowledgeable users here....but you don't want to like them! LOL.

I can't wait for your review though! Get on it man!

Honestly though...for real...just use them all for the rest of the day and it is pretty friggin easy to come to a conclusion.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
you are reading real relevant current reviews from...umm ....knowledgeable users here....
Yeah right. Reviews like, "Don't like it". "Hate it". "It's from Microsoft". "Microsoft can't be trusted", Microsoft is stealing our data, and clearly made up falsehoods like its extension support is "non-existent". And then there's your own, in-depth professional review, "it is simply slower, I don't need to be objective". :rolleyes: I guess folks are just supposed to know what product it is slower than, and trust what you say because you said it, your extensive history on this site proves how knowledgeable your are, and of course, all your "first hand" experience "over much time".

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
OK like I said I can't wait for your actual review but I imagine at this rate I will die first...and please don't make it long and boring to read.

Just tell us what the best browser is in your opinion! Can't wait!

Then YOU will be telling US which browser is faster! Good?

The fact that you have been here since 06 tells me you should have all the answers and they should all be correct so I am all ears.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Right. I said way back on Friday,
The point of my comment about 5 days was about giving it a try now that it has gone final - especially since earlier reports for the beta were promising. We can't assume no fine tuning and performance tweaking are not going on between beta and official final release. We can't assume one way or another. That's why I made a point of saying that article was on the beta version and that I have not been able to find a review of the final version.
You're trying really hard to like it, aren't you?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The fact that you have been here since 06 tells me you should have all the answers and they should all be correct so I am all ears.
Well, that just tells me you don't know how forums work because nobody knows it all or has all the answers. In fact, just because I have been working with computers since the mid 70's, what I know for a fact is there is always more to learn. IT is industries within industries and the beauty of forums is they bring expertise from many areas together.

No browser is or ever will be the best at every thing. And as I said before, speed is just one factor in determining which is best. In fact, speed is not even the top priority for me.

For the record, right now, for me, I still prefer Pale Moon.

You're trying really hard to like it, aren't you?
I am trying really hard to give it a fair chance, to avoid preconceived notions, and to prevent biases from influencing perceptions and possible results. For example, I think Microsoft's marketing weenies have come up with some of the worst campaigns and strategies ever conceived - and I've not hesitated to say such on this site and others, and to MS themselves. But I don't let my opinion of them (and some of their executive decisions) taint my opinion of the development teams and their products.

Again, just because something has the Microsoft label on it, that does not mean it is evil, or can't be trusted, or is just like one of their products from 10 or even 20 years ago.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I am trying really hard to give it a fair chance, to avoid preconceived notions, and to prevent biases from influencing perceptions and possible results. For example, I think Microsoft's marketing weenies have come up with some of the worst campaigns and strategies ever conceived - and I've not hesitated to say such on this site and others, and to MS themselves. But I don't let my opinion of them (and some of their executive decisions) taint my opinion of the development teams and their products.

Again, just because something has the Microsoft label on it, that does not mean it is evil, or can't be trusted, or is just like one of their products from 10 or even 20 years ago.
And what have you discovered so far? Anything other browsers don't have? Better then Chromium? Firefox?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am not doing a comparative review right now. I am just using it instead of my regular default, Pale Moon to see how it performs with me doing my normal day to day tasks. It takes awhile to get any browser just the way you like it - with your own favorites, home page, what happens when you open a new tab, close tabs, open in new window, how it renders pages, how easy it is find and add extensions - just getting used to a new layout and more.

Even stuff like teaching its spell checker takes time.

As I said already, so far, it's be great. Every site I have visited renders properly and quick. And for now, that's what I am focusing on. Will I stick with it? I don't know yet. But I do know I will not dismiss it because it has the Microsoft brand on it, or because it is from the same people who made IE, or because someone thinks Comodo does this or that. :kookoo: