• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The new Microsoft Edge Browser is out of Preview and now Available for Download

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I am not doing a comparative review right now. I am just using it instead of my regular default, Pale Moon to see how it performs with me doing my normal day to day tasks. It takes awhile to get any browser just the way you like it - with your own favorites, home page, what happens when you open a new tab, close tabs, open in new window, how it renders pages, how easy it is find and add extensions - just getting used to a new layout and more.

Even stuff like teaching its spell checker takes time.

As I said already, so far, it's be great. Every site I have visited renders properly and quick. And for now, that's what I am focusing on. Will I stick with it? I don't know yet. But I do know I will not dismiss it because it has the Microsoft brand on it, or because it is from the same people who made IE, or because someone thinks Comodo does this or that. :kookoo:
Looks to me like you're looking at the wrong things. But that's your right.
Of course it renders everything properly and quick, it's still Chromium at its heart. I'd be looking more at what value MS has added on top of that. And in that area, I don't think anyone will beat Vivaldi anytime soon, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I am not doing a comparative review right now. I am just using it instead of my regular default, Pale Moon to see how it performs with me doing my normal day to day tasks. It takes awhile to get any browser just the way you like it - with your own favorites, home page, what happens when you open a new tab, close tabs, open in new window, how it renders pages, how easy it is find and add extensions - just getting used to a new layout and more.
You say that like you think everyone needs to spend a great deal of time checking out this new version of Edge to decide if they like it.. Nope.
As I said already, so far, it's be great.
Good for you. Carry on...
Every site I have visited renders properly and quick. And for now, that's what I am focusing on.
There is vastly more to a web browser then how and how fast it renders a website. You're old enough and experienced enough to know that very well.
But I do know I will not dismiss it because it has the Microsoft brand on it, or because it is from the same people who made IE, or because someone thinks Comodo does this or that.
:kookoo:
Gee, that was subtle..

And in that area, I don't think anyone will beat Vivaldi anytime soon, but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Not gonna happen.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Looks to me like you're looking at the wrong things. But that's your right.

Of course it renders everything properly and quick, it's still Chromium at its heart.
I'm looking at what is important to me right now.

And I would never assume it is going to render every page properly. I've had sites not render properly in Chrome before. I stopped using Brave because my bank didn't like it and it took too long to load up.

Then there's Opera that's been taken over by Chinese predator loan sharks!

What I expect of a browser is for it to load the page correctly, quickly, hopefully blocking ads, and then I want the browser to essentially disappear and only appear again when I want to move to a different site.

And what "value" does Vivaldi add for you?

There is vastly more to a web browser then how and how fast it renders a website. You're old enough and experienced enough to know that very well.
Gee whiz dude! NO WHERE did I ever say "how and how fast" a page is rendered is all there is to a web browser! You are old enough to know better than keep making up things. Yet you keep doing it. That's sad. And I am not trying to subtle about it. Do your homework. Edge does support extensions. I have mentioned several others things besides rendering and speed.

And for the record, being the fastest is not even the most important factor for me. It is several items down the list. But I will say this, I have Chrome, Edge, FF, IE, and Pale Moon on this machine. Each is set to open to www.google.com home page. And all do it within a couple tenths of second of each other. That's good enough for me, for right now, to not worry about speed.

If speed is your top priority, fine. But for me, a few milliseconds here or there is no big deal. Seconds, yes. But I am not seeing that with those I mentioned.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
And what "value" does Vivaldi add for you?
Great tab management and leaner on resources. It's not my main browser, but if Firefox went away, it would probably be.

What I expect of a browser is for it to load the page correctly, quickly, hopefully blocking ads, and then I want the browser to essentially disappear and only appear again when I want to move to a different site.
Given those parameters, you do not want Edge.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Great tab management and leaner on resources. It's not my main browser, but if Firefox went away, it would probably be.
I stopped using FF a long time ago. The only thing it had going for it, IMO, was extensive plugin support. But then that caused security problems for it. That's when I moved to PM, a forked version of FF.

Given those parameters, you do not want Edge.
And yet, it is meeting those parameters just fine.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I stopped using FF a long time ago. The only thing it had going for it, IMO, was extensive plugin support. But then that caused security problems for it. That's when I moved to PM, a forked version of FF.
I stick to Firefox mostly because of support for what Mozilla does. I've been sticking with their stuff through Navigator, Mozilla Application Suite, Seamonkey and now FF. So familiarity weighs pretty heavy here. And I also appreciate Rust ;)
I only ever looked at Chrome/Chromium and Vivaldi. And for a (very) brief period to Brave.

Edit: Also Falkon is alright if I'm running out of windows I'm not logged into ;)

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So familiarity weighs pretty heavy here.
:) I agree 100%. And this familiarity is something I've been saying in this thread all along - that is, giving Edge (or any new program) a fair chance to get used to it is important when deciding which you like best, or best fits your needs. It takes time to learn and get used to all those ins and outs - until it becomes intuitive. XP for example had a steep learning curve. But soon it became intuitive. When W7 came out, it seemed awkward but soon was known as the best Windows yet. Have you looked at XP lately? It now seems very awkward and clumsy.

You can't get used to a new major program in 10 minutes. Or even a couple hours - keeping in mind, when typing text in a forum or using Bing Google, the browser itself more or less steps out of the way.
I stick to Firefox mostly because of support for what Mozilla does.
That is one area they do shine. If you follow US-CERTS (which I've been doing for years), you would see FF has had a lot (more than many :() security issues and vulnerabilities discovered than most other browsers (including IE!). Not good. But where they shine is in how quickly they release effective patches and updates to address those vulnerabilities before the bad guys can exploit them. I would have to say they are unparalleled in that area and they deserve kudos for that. :rockout:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 OC
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Audio Device(s) nothing special
Power Supply converted to gas
Mouse and cat
Keyboard backlit and big letters!
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Benchmark Scores embarrassing I imagine!
A browser is not a major program though. It takes me 10 minutes to install 4 of them and another 10 minutes to set them up with all of my bookmarks and home pages/extensions and then another 10 minutes to see which one feels best.

I don't want my browser to be intuitive. I don't even know what that means. Use it abuse it and close it and that is all I need it to do.

OK this is getting long for a simple browser thread which is literally the most simple pieces of software I ever see...

I will eagerly stand by for the Bill browser review though!

Give us the in depth analysis we so need!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Give us the in depth analysis we so need!
No! If you follow the link in my sig, you will see I'm a certified master electronics technician - a hardware guy. And while I have extensive experience in networking, networking security, Windows, and Windows security, I am not a developer. Any review I do with browsers will NOT be extensive. It will be for how "I" use browsers for what "I" do day-to-day. What conclusively determines what is best for me, may not be best for you. That is why I do not pretend to know what is best for everyone else. That is why I do not accept what posters on this site is best for everyone - especially when some refuse to do their homework, or flat out make up falsehoods.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
OK here is my extensive review.

Edge can't remember me telling it that hell yes I wish to close all tabs and I am sure of it! Out.

Chrome is google. Out.

Opera is a Chinese loan shark. Out.

The weird random no namers have all been tried but not enough for me to care enough to replace FF which I have used since the beginning.

I have no loyalty to any name brand in any aspect of my life (except Yamaha they are undeniably the very very best at anything they friggin do!) so if someone gets better (IMO) I will switch.

I just....yea....I just envisioned a Yamaha browser!! I WANT!!!

It has to end its a thread about friggin browsers how far can we go!?

yamaha.jpg

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
:) I agree 100%. And this familiarity is something I've been saying in this thread all along - that is, giving Edge (or any new program) a fair chance to get used to it is important when deciding which you like best, or best fits your needs. It takes time to learn and get used to all those ins and outs - until it becomes intuitive. XP for example had a steep learning curve. But soon it became intuitive. When W7 came out, it seemed awkward but soon was known as the best Windows yet. Have you looked at XP lately? It now seems very awkward and clumsy.

You can't get used to a new major program in 10 minutes. Or even a couple hours - keeping in mind, when typing text in a forum or using Bing Google, the browser itself more or less steps out of the way.

That depends on whether you feel the need to adapt to all those browsers. I don't have major issues with my browser and there are far more interesting things I can do with my time, so, unless some browser has some killer feature, I can safely tell whether I need it or not within 10 minutes.
In the meantime, I can just bug you (and others) with questions ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I can safely tell whether I need it or not within 10 minutes.
I agree. But in this scenario, are we really talking about what we "need"? I don't think so.
More to your point, in some scenarios, I can probably can tell within a few minutes if I don't want something. If, for example, a browser failed to render correctly pages I wanted to visit regularly, or, like Brave, just took too long to load, I could eliminate those pretty quickly.

But that is not the point here, IMO. Assuming all the programs I am considering start and load pages properly and quickly, the question becomes, "Do I now want Browser B to replace Browser A as my primary/default browser? "

The problem is, for me, is I have never found a browser I was 100% happy with, 100% of the time.

WAY WAY back in the day, the company I was working for had to pry Netscape out of my hands with threats of disciplinary action. It was company policy to go with IE6. Which I grew to love since all the hype about it being so unsafe was totally blown out of proportion by the FF fanatics. And I stuck with IE through IE11.

But when the old Edge first came out with W10, it seemed IE started going downhill. I have no proof but I was convinced Microsoft was sabotaging IE to force users to the old Edge. I switched to Pale Moon and for the most part, loved it. But PM consistently failed to load the page to my for water/sewer/trash utilities so I could see how much I owed. I always had to use Chrome or IE to check my bill. And, much worse is 1/2 the time PM does not like the menu and payment system when ordering from Pizza Hut! :banghead: So while PM was my favorite browser, I have not been 100% happy with it.

I do like Chrome, but contrary to what some here seem to thing, Google really is, by far, a much much greater threat to our privacy than Microsoft is or ever has been - though admittedly, that may be like choosing to be stalked by a hungry shark vs a hungry lion.

Is seeking 100% happiness a pipe dream? Maybe. But I can still dream. With Edge, thus far, I have been able to check my water bill. The grandkids are coming over this weekend so maybe then I can check PH.

Beyond that, so far, there has been nothing about Edge I dislike. Is that enough to make me change my default? Time will tell.

Edge can't remember me telling it that hell yes I wish to close all tabs and I am sure of it!
I'm not seeing this. What do you mean? If I have multiple tabs open and close Edge, they all close. When I re-open Edge, only a single tab is open, and that is to my home page - just as I expect.

How do you have Settings > On startup set? I have mine set to "Open a new tab".

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The problem is, for me, is I have never found a browser I was 100% happy with, 100% of the time.
Me neither, but that's not reason enough for me to waste countless hours on each Chromium derivative ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Me neither, but that's not reason enough for me to waste countless hours on each Chromium derivative
I agree. Not sure who's suggesting that. I sure am not. I'd probably run out of disk space.

16 Best Free Chromium Based Browsers for Windows. Calling those the "best" suggests there are more that didn't make the list. :kookoo: ZDNet suggests there are way more than 20! :eek:

I suspect FF alternatives based on Mozilla are similarly numerous.

I'd be happy if I could settle on one Chromium based browser as my primary and one Mozilla based browser for verification purposes (to see if a page/site is really down/broken or if my primary browser is messing up.

For what its worth, another criteria for my primary browser is that it must play well with Fox-it Reader - my .pdf reader (since Adobe is another developer I trust less than Microsoft!). And so far, Edge does well there too.

Oh, and while I do like Yamaha products, I'll keep my Onkyo, thank you. ;)

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
For what its worth, another criteria for my primary browser is that it must play well with Fox-it Reader - my .pdf reader (since Adobe is another developer I trust less than Microsoft!). And so far, Edge does well there too.
Ha, I only use Edge to open PDFs. I actually got rid of FoxIt once Edge started handling PDFs as well as it does ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Ha, I only use Edge to open PDFs. I actually got rid of FoxIt once Edge started handling PDFs as well as it does
Hmmm. Good to know, I guess to be fair, I should check it out. Just to be sure, when you click on a .pdf file, Edge opens and the .pdf document renders properly?

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Hmmm. Good to know, I guess to be fair, I should check it out. Just to be sure, when you click on a .pdf file, Edge opens and the .pdf document renders properly?
Not only that, it also handles more arcane features (like forms and such) without a hitch. And it's fast.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And it's fast.
Ooh don't say that. Others will freak! ;)

I was just experimenting with tabs and had 20 to 20 different sites opened, then closed Edge. They all closed as expected. Then I opened Edge and only one tab for my home page opened, again as expected. Then I selected "Reopened closed window" and all 20 tabs instantly opened - again as expected. Pinned tabs works as expected too. I can't seem to make them mess up.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
No I totally agree with that! I like that edge opens .pdf's right out of the box!

Others will follow suit soon I imagine!

Ans yes....without a doubt....each time I close my 20 tabs....I get asked am I sure and I check the box and bam it is back every time....on several machines...and various levels of updates.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Ans yes....without a doubt....each time I close my 20 tabs....I get asked am I sure
This puzzles me. As I said above, when I close Edge, it just closes. I don't get asked if sure or not. And I don't see where in the settings to ask - which is okay since, as I also noted, it is easy to reopen them all. Are you sure you are using the latest final release? Version 79.0.309.68 (Official build) (64-bit) ?

I see there's an easy registry edit to force enabling the prompt, but pretty sure I never disabled that prompt in the first place.

I take it back. The registry setting does not restore the prompt. So MS must have taken that option out, believing most people disable that prompt anyway. I know I always do.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
LOL No its not on both parts. It does use the Chromium open source engine but it is hardly a reskinned Chrome. And if the naysayers would just take a few minutes to read up on it, they would see it does MUCH more than Chrome to protect our data and privacy. See this and note where it talks about blocking 100s of Google tracking code by default - and that's on the medium or "balanced" setting. Move it to "Strict" and it really gets aggressive.
:rolleyes: No its not. It was in beta for several months before now and was available for everyone to try. I did, but stuck with Pale Moon as my preferred browser. That's the whole point of Microsoft abandoning the "old" Edge for this "new" Edge. It uses the "mature" Chromium engine that complies with industry (not MS) standards. So no, it is not essentially in Beta. I have been using the new Edge for several days now (10 minutes is not a fair evaluation) and so far, like it. Every site I have visited has displayed properly. I can't say the same for FF or PM. And every pages loads quickly too. :)

The biggest problem with the new Edge is the brand name behind it. Too many, sadly, refuse to accept that Microsoft really does want its users to have a safe, stable, and enjoyable computing experience and fully believe, despite all the scrutiny Microsoft constantly receives, that Microsoft is out to get them and their data. :kookoo:

If you want your data out there, use Chrome.

I miss IE6 too. It never was the security risk all the MS bashers and FF fanboys claimed it was.

I think you have assumed quite a bit in your post.

1. I don't come from a position of using it for 10 minutes. I began using beta after made available from the illicit copy that began spread.
  2. Chromium is a mature engine, however, the Edge Chromium browser features are behind. This is exactly what I stated in my op, and apparently you became offended by either bias or whatever else fuels your desire to say otherwise. They released the browser on a too aggressive timetable in my opinion.
    1. The MS extension store lacks anything relevant beyond 1 or 2 add blockers that have been seen. MS solution is to offer you to use the Chrome store. Look, you can use Google's Chrome Store extensions in our browser.
    2. Lack of theme customization. The MS store does not support themes. You can download Chrome themes using a modification tool, but those themes do not sync on other devices and it's really just cumbersome methodology.
    3. No syncing of tabs. At this point in time when users are using their favorite browsers across multiple devices, this is common place.
    4. No password generator similar to Safari's browser.
    5. Extensions don't sync across different devices.
    6. The list goes on... The browser is essentially in beta. If you want to argue semantics of the word be my guest.
  3. I miss IE6 and Edge as well, but that has nothing to do with Edge Chromium.
MS is a software company at it's heart, and these features should not be missing from a new launch when every new browser with significant market share supports 90% of the features I mentioned, even ones developed by not for profit. Take this picture for example, half of the syncing features are "coming soon".

1579699011522.png

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I think you have assumed quite a bit in your post.
I'm not assuming anything - that's my whole point. I don't assume Edge is bad because it comes from Microsoft - yet that is the argument posed by many here for why Edge is no good.

My biases are clear - I am biased for "verifiable" facts - not people's personal opinions based on misconceptions, incorrect information or failure to do their homework, or worse their intentional falsehoods (to put it euphemistically).

People are certainly entitled to their opinions and I support them expressing them, as long as it is done as their opinions, and not as fact.

To illustrate,
It is okay and valid to say, "I don't trust Microsoft".
It is NOT okay or valid to say, "Edge is bad because I don't trust Microsoft." And that's what's been happening in this thread, and what I object to.
It is NOT okay to say, "Edge does not support this" when clearly it does and that fact is easily verifiable with just a tiny bit of actual (and not pretend :() checking/homework.

Chromium is a mature engine, however, the Edge Chromium browser features are behind.
Now wait! Let's make sure we are not talking apples and oranges.

Why are there different flavors of Firefox? Why are their different flavors of Chrome? Why is there a Chevy Silverado and a GMC Sierra? Why is there chocolate and vanilla ice cream? Different features does NOT imply one is "behind" or another is superior.

If you look at the version numbers of both Chrome and Edge right now, Chome is 79.0.3x and Edge is 79.0.3x. I think it important to note Edge is current at the all important core.

1. The MS extension store lacks anything relevant beyond 1 or 2 add blockers that have been seen. MS solution is to offer you to use the Chrome store. Look, you can use Google's Chrome Store extensions in our browser.
  2. Lack of theme customization. The MS store does not support themes. You can download Chrome themes using a modification tool, but those themes do not sync on other devices and it's really just cumbersome methodology.
  3. No syncing of tabs. At this point in time when users are using their favorite browsers across multiple devices, this is common place.
  4. No password generator similar to Safari's browser.
  5. Extensions don't sync across different devices.
  6. The list goes on... The browser is essentially in beta. If you want to argue semantics of the word be my guest.
Extensions from Chrome - What's wrong with that? Why re-invent the wheel? Pale Moon lets us use most Firefox extensions. By your rationale, that makes Pale Moon look bad. I think it makes them look smart. People like many Firefox extensions. Why not let those users use them with Pale Moon? Same with Chrome extensions in Edge. The fact they can be used means MS has ensured compatibility - and that a good thing!

Themes. Okay - extensive theme support is lacking. If that's a show-stopper for you, then Windows lets us use alternative browsers. Again, that's a good thing. Personally, I'm okay with my browser looking like my OS and Office and other MS products and apps.

As for the other things, I agree it would have been much better (publicity-wise) if all those "Coming soon!" features would have already been developed and included. They clearly are behind there. But I also appreciate the fact Microsoft is announcing that those features are coming instead of leaving users wondering if they will ever be included.

That said, I am not sure the majority of users use multiple devices in that way, or in such a way that tab and extension syncing is that high a priority right now. Nice to have? Perhaps. But essential? IF users had Windows Phone, then this might be a critical necessity. But does anyone use a Windows Phone?

As for the password generator (besides the fact its lack of similarity to Safari's is strictly a personal opinion) I personally could care less about that. I believe there is still a general consensus among security experts that browser password managers (regardless the browser) should not be used. I know many organizations (government, corporate and private) forbid it. See: don't use your browser's password manager

If you feel brand-new products should be 100% fully developed with every possible "extra" feature (and those you speak of are "extra" - that is, beyond basic browser core features required of every browser), then for sure, your points are valid - and I won't dispute them.

Hmmm, here's a timely (came out today) article about the new Edge and how it supports Chrome extensions. :)