• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where's the Ryzen Effect? Intel posts Record Financials

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel Corporation today reported fourth-quarter and full-year 2019 financial results. The company also announced that its board of directors approved a five percent cash dividend increase to $1.32 per share on an annual basis. The board declared a quarterly dividend of $0.33 per share on the company's common stock, which will be payable on March 1 to shareholders of record on February 7.

"In 2019, we gained share in an expanded addressable market that demands more performance to process, move and store data," said Bob Swan, Intel CEO. "One year into our long-term financial plan, we have outperformed our revenue and EPS expectations. Looking ahead, we are investing to win the technology inflections of the future, play a bigger role in the success of our customers and increase shareholder returns."

Intel's collection of data-centric businesses achieved record revenue in the fourth quarter, led by record Data Center Group (DCG) revenue. DCG revenue grew 19 percent YoY in the fourth quarter, driven by robust demand from cloud service provider customers and a continued strong mix of high-performance 2nd-Generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors. Intel acquired Habana Labs in the fourth quarter, strengthening its artificial intelligence portfolio for the data center. Internet of Things Group (IOTG) revenue was up 13 percent on strength in retail and transportation. Mobileye achieved record revenue, up 31 percent YoY on increasing ADAS adoption. Intel's memory business (NSG) was up 10 percent YoY on continued NAND and Intel Optane bit growth. PSG fourth-quarter revenue was down 17 percent YoY.

In the fourth quarter, the PC-centric business (CCG) was up 2 percent on higher modem sales and desktop platform volumes. Major PC manufacturers have introduced 44 systems featuring the new, 10 nm-based 10th Gen Intel Core processors (previously referred to as "Ice Lake"), and momentum continues to build for Project Athena. Project Athena-verified devices have been tuned, tested and verified to deliver fantastic system-level innovation and benefits spanning battery life, consistent responsiveness, instant wake, application compatibility and more. Intel has verified 26 Project Athena designs to date.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Brilliant. It’s a slaughter once they get post Skylake CPUs out to the market.

Do you want a monopoly or something? Comments like this are so confusing.

Baity title, Intel's margins are down - they don't break it for each (sub) segment I believe - so you won't see the Ryzen (DIY) effect just from a cursory glance. Secondly, the R&D plus CAPEX will go up, unless Intel wants to stick to 14nm for the foreseeable future. Lastly layoffs, when was the last time a company experiencing record profits did this :rolleyes:
Intel’s pending layoffs will hit multiple business groups, Oregon workers

Did I mention notebooks, would be quite the spectacle when AMD goes full throttle with zen2 APU :D

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive

They do break the results down to business units and PCG results are quite noticeably down :)

Intel has it's hands in so much it would take more then just desktop and server cpu's. Apu's will hit it a little more but again, it will take a lot to move them. Revord amounts, The shortage jacking prices up as a start....

They do break the results down to business units and PCG results are quite noticeably down :)
They don't break it down to channels, do they? Like Retail, OEM, enterprise et al. The biggest slump will be in Retail & the biggest margin erosion likely in enterprise (server) space.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Well, Intel is still selling as many CPUs as it can produce, so there is logic behind those numbers. Especially when lattest news/rumors suggest that there will be a shortage of Intel CPUs for the whole 2020.

As for AMD the question is if they can make as many CPUs as they want, or if there isn't such demand as everyone was expecting. It makes me wonder if those super high performing EPYC CPUs that cost a third compared to a equivalent dual CPU setup of top Xeon CPUs where enough to get more market share in the server market. Maybe AMD is giving those away, for prices that look like a steal, because it sees that big corporations and IT managers still prefer to pay extra for insecure, old tech CPUs from the top player, than top performing, modern, secure and much cheaper CPUs from the second player.

I guess we will find out soon. Of course we could see what most are saying. That the PC/X86 market is growing rapidly and all three major companies in my minds, Intel, Nvidia and AMD, will report record revenue.

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
Baity title, Intel's margins are down - they don't break it for each (sub) segment I believe - so you won't see the Ryzen (DIY) effect just from a cursory glance. Secondly, the R&D plus CAPEX will go up, unless Intel wants to stick to 14nm for the foreseeable future. Lastly layoffs, when was the last time a company experiencing record profits did this :rolleyes:

Did I mention notebooks, would be quite the spectacle when AMD goes full throttle with zen2 APU :D

Indeed, 1.3B less income and just a little more than 3000 employees less (2018 vs 2019)!
How is that a "record"?

Indeed, 1.3B less income
1.3B less income where?
and just a little more than 3000 employees less (2018 vs 2019)!
Source?
From what I've found, they're actually up from 2018 (+2%).
Not that it matters. 2% workforce fluctuation is nothing special.

They don't break it down to channels, do they? Like Retail, OEM, enterprise et al. The biggest slump will be in Retail & the biggest margin erosion likely in enterprise (server) space.
You say then don't break it down, but you seem very confident about your ideas. Source?

Well, Intel is still selling as many CPUs as it can produce, so there is logic behind those numbers.
Intel sells as much as it can. And they're increasing production capacity. And they're keeping the very high margins.
It's not exactly my definition of "being in trouble". :)
or if there isn't such demand as everyone was expecting
Not everyone. ;)
I guess we will find out soon. Of course we could see what most are saying. That the PC/X86 market is growing rapidly and all three major companies in my minds, Intel, Nvidia and AMD, will report record revenue.
Exactly. AMD will likely show what is expected: +50% revenue Y/Y. Margins is another story completely.

As you said: market is growing. All companies sell more. Obviously, AMD is starting from a position that can give them absurdly high growth.

But while AMD's expansion is expected (and in their stock price...), Intel's results should have been more flat. It's a bit shocking...

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro

From a quick Google search "Intel PSG" (can't find "PCG" anywhere?) seems to indicate their Programmable Logic division, i.e. FPGAs. The notes in your link seem to indicate that various PC segments are indeed not separated, but bundled into the "PC-centric CCG" heading, which is 2% up q-over-q and flat YoY. Still, with notable increases in pretty much everything else that does tell us something - Intel historically has held off dropping PC sales by boosting margins and ASPs, but this time they're just breaking even.

From a quick Google search "Intel PSG" (can't find "PCG" anywhere?) seems to indicate their Programmable Logic division, i.e. FPGAs. The notes in your link seem to indicate that various PC segments are indeed not separated, but bundled into the "PC-centric CCG" heading, which is 2% up q-over-q and flat YoY. Still, with notable increases in pretty much everything else that does tell us something - Intel historically has held off dropping PC sales by boosting margins and ASPs, but this time they're just breaking even.
But on the other hand: the price drop in desktop CPUs is visible. The fact that they've managed to keep a stable revenue in this segment is an achievement.
One probable factor: they're killing the low-end models (Pentiums, entry i3), which used to compete with cheap pre-Ryzen stuff from AMD.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Thank you for correcting me. It was too early in the morning I suppose :/

I suppose we can see some trends out of that statement down on the page under - SUPPLEMENTAL PLATFORM REVENUE INFORMATION.
Comparing the volumes and average prices gives us a few hints on what is going on.

System Name Vamos
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Dark Rock Slim
Memory 2x8GB XPG 3600MHz
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT PowerColor
Storage WD SN550 1TB, Seagate 2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1
Case Jonsbo V8
Audio Device(s) Logitech G633, Presonus E3.5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
Software Win 10 Home
Baity title
Title when originally posted was just "intel reported q4 and 2019 fin. results". This ryzen addition wasn't necessary.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
But on the other hand: the price drop in desktop CPUs is visible. The fact that they've managed to keep a stable revenue in this segment is an achievement.
One probable factor: they're killing the low-end models (Pentiums, entry i3), which used to compete with cheap pre-Ryzen stuff from AMD.
Absolutely - the effective discontinuation of anything remotely modern below a Core i3 (and even those have very tight supplies) has obviously driven ASPs up by quite a lot. Still, one has to question how long this seeming stability can be maintained - at some point something will have to give. Either OEMs wanting more flexibility for scalable designs (low-end to upper midrange in the same design, for example) will start moving to Ryzen, 10nm will start arriving properly and relegating 14nm to low-end chips and/or high clockspeed ones (potentially boosting sales but dropping ASPs and margins due to increased costs on 10nm), or consumers might tire of the seemingly never-ending series of rehashed 14nm Skylake parts. Not that they haven't made impressive improvements since 2015 (compare a 9900K to a 6700K ...), but the need for something new is rather dire. The rumored price cuts for the next 14nm desktop series is also likely to have a significant impact (current cuts to HEDT CPUs don't matter much in total revenue). I wouldn't be surprised if we see actual negative numbers in this segment next year.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
these figures depend on how much you declare as expenses...

these figures depend on how much you declare as expenses...
This is an formal financial statement from a major listed company. It's audited by many authorities. Figures are solid and checked down to a single USD.

You have to look deep in Intel's financials to see that AMD put a dent in their number.
It's not a dent if they've managed to mitigate that with higher prices.
If anything, it's even better...

It was a very good year for Intel. End of story.
Numbers don't lie, but anti-Intel crowd will be nitpicking like they usually do. And of course they're allowed to do so. :)

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Love them or hate them for it, Intel has always been masterful at assembling selections of real data in ways that look better than relevant data would suggest. (Comparing mobile to desktop between generations and brands, etc.) It's 'Good Marketing'

I don't believe the title is misleading since I bet that's how their press release reads as well. Also, as seen, it triggers fanboys and grabs investors' attention on both sides.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit

thank you for clarifying things.

Love them or hate them for it, Intel has always been masterful at assembling selections of real data in ways that look better than relevant data would suggest. (Comparing mobile to desktop between generations and brands, etc.) It's 'Good Marketing'
This is a financial statement. There's very little flexibility in how these figures can be calculated.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
You have to look deep in Intel's financials to see that AMD put a dent in their number.

Intel is down in volume YoY -6% in desktops, -5% in notebooks and -3% in servers. You can find the info in SUPPLEMENTAL PLATFORM REVENUE INFORMATION.
When you can make the same amount of $$$ selling less, that's the opposite of a "dent" ;)

This is what I have said before: being 10x larger than your opponent gives you the ability to take punishment. Intel didn't crumble in the days of AthlonXP/64, they won't crumble because of Zen.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
This is an formal financial statement from a major listed company. It's audited by many authorities. Figures are solid and checked down to a single USD.

of course figures add-up; however intel as a company who own fabs and having ~110 K employees can decide to decrease costs anytime just to keep investors happy

this decrease will compensate the loss so by magic they can report record financials

how can they do it, may you ask; easy, cut down employees bonuses as they wish without affecting wages is the most common one f.ex. the more employees you have the more you save

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
People who are thinking that Intel is being hurt much by Ryzen should take a look at how most PCs are sold. Take a look around Dell's online store and you will see that by far the majority of desktops and laptops for work or for home use have Intel CPUs. A few have the AMD alternative though.

Their servers you can choose between Intel or Intel.

I have seen estimates that AMD has doubled their market share in the server market but their market share is still extremely low.

Will AMD or Intel Gain Mobile and Server Market Share?

Basically, until the big PC manufacturers start pushing more AMD CPUs in their business and home PCs and servers then AMD will only make modest gains in market share and Intel will remain the colossus in the CPU market.

of course figures add-up; however intel as a company who own fabs and having ~110 K employees can decide to decrease costs anytime just to keep investors happy

this decrease will compensate the loss so by magic they can report record financials

how can they do it, may you ask; easy, cut down employees bonuses as they wish without affecting wages is the most common one f.ex. the more employees you have the more you save
But now you're talking about real cost cutting, so I'm a bit lost. Of course companies are trying to control costs. That's how they can make a profit...

I thought your earlier post suggested they're reporting understated costs, i.e. they're artificially increasing their margins.
It's fairly easy to hide income (report lower net profit) and most companies do that, but it's very difficult to hide costs.

It's even harder for Intel, who does almost everything in-house.