• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Warcraft III: Reforged is the World's Worst User-Reviewed Videogame

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Blizzard Entertainment recently released Warcraft III: Reforged, their remastered version of the original Warcraft III. The new game saw the inclusion of the original Reign of Chaos campaign and its expansion, the Frozen Throne. This delivered a game with some 60 campaign missions, all with reworked graphics, four hours of updated in-game cutscenes and re-recorded voice-overs, alongside rebalanced online play and the addition of social and matchmaking capabilities. But paint the feature list as one can, the game's Metacritic score definitely isn't what Blizzard drawed it up to be.

The game sits with an aggregate review score of 63/100, which is already on the... very low side for such a game, I'd say. However, that score pales in comparison with the aggregate user review score, which places the game in an almost unfathomable 0.5/10... With close to 22,000 users reviewing the game already. Now, we all know that people are most critical of the things they love the most (and thus expect the most of). Bugs and a feeling of betrayal regarding the games' graphical and cutscene presentation seem to be high on the list of qualms users have with the remastered version, but I think a 0.5 score really is undeserved... I'd say most games with user scores lesser than 8/10 are actually worse experiences than this game, but who am I to judge. There's a comparison video after the break for you to check with critical eyes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
The people I know who were hyped about W3 Reforged are mostly pissed at the EULA changes, as they were more interested in mods than the base game. Modders will not touch the new game because of it

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
imagine buying a Blizzard/Activision game in 2020... or 2019..... or 2018.... who in their right minds still supports these companies?

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
The people I know who were hyped about W3 Reforged are mostly pissed at the EULA changes, as they were more interested in mods than the base game. Modders will not touch the new game because of it

Yeah that EULA is pure evil. It's funny seeing media reviews for 75 or so, makes me wonder what they got paid under the table, or whether they're just willing to smear mud over their name to get it to the top of some awful list.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Jim Sterling is having a laugh.

This is what happens when gaming companies are overrun by business hacks with overrated MBAs who either have no damn clue how the gaming industry works or don't care. All that matters to these people are the glorified numbers on a spreadsheet that they can use to appease their shareholders in order to buy their next Ferrari.

EA, Bethesda, Epic Games, Take 2, Activision Blizzard - they are as disgusting as each other. It's a race to the bottom to see who is the worst. Blizzard destroying one of their all time classics is just one of many symptoms of just how rotten this industry has become.

For LOLs, the original classics Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne are both on 9.2 which so happens to be one of the top scores; a complete opposite to WC3 Reforged which has the lowest score. Just goes to show how far Bli$$ard has fallen.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Congratulations you have been BlizzCON-NED !!!! :D :D

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
After a very pleasing StarCraft Remastered experience I almost pre-ordered Reforged last year; glad I didn't. Will be waiting on patches and a price drop.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

But why on earth would you even touch this game when it looks the same as vanilla with an upscale? OK, the skybox doesn't clip anymore when you pan and tilt the camera... is that the profit here then?

This is like reinventing the wheel and then coming up with a brick, all while saying 'Look, it's probably better than what you had!'

Ten foot pole applies here, and me not touching it in the very same way.

This is what happens when gaming companies are overrun by business hacks with overrated MBAs who either have no damn clue how the gaming industry works or don't care. All that matters to these people are the glorified numbers on a spreadsheet that they can use to appease their shareholders in order to buy their next Ferrari.

EA, Bethesda, Epic Games, Take 2, Activision Blizzard - they are as disgusting as each other. It's a race to the bottom to see who is the worst. Blizzard destroying one of their all time classics is just one of many symptoms of just how rotten this industry has become.

For LOLs, the original classics Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne are both on 9.2 which so happens to be one of the top scores; a complete opposite to WC3 Reforged which has the lowest score. Just goes to show how far Bli$$ard has fallen.

Be careful with the blanket statement though.. EA, Activision, yes. Those are shareholders' companies first and gaming second, to them the games are a means to an end more than with most others. There is an agenda we don't really want to hear.

But for Ubisoft, Bethesda, Epic, Take Two.... not quite so sure. These companies DO get the memo that they need true gamer's games from time to time to keep hold of a fanbase. The problem with Blizzard is that it got torn up in China as well and there is a market ripe for the taking over there (they think), and Activision's push in this company probably puts the weight on China before catering the crowded EU/US markets, because greater profit margin and due to the type of games and scope (mobile) much lower risk.

Luckily, there is a slew of new talented devs and companies ready to take over serious gaming. Because that is for sure; there are no EA or Activision releases you can really take seriously and if you still do, the penny just hasn't dropped yet. Those CoDs and BFs... its reskin fodder and easy money, the game is irrelevant, what matters is keeping the crowd entertained and tied to franchises to milk them for more.

Ubisoft is a bit of an odd one out, sometimes you see them inch towards Acti/EA business models and then shortly after they come back on it and do a 180 towards catering gamer needs and wants. The Division, for example, but also Assassins' Creed. That franchise was dying, now its back, and people apparently love it again. Ubisoft is also very subtle with its B2P and MTX systems, they are present but they're also really easy to ignore. I think they're finding a pretty good balance like that as they go. What is clear though, very much so, is that they have a very good ear in the community and act upon it.

A very BIG thing to keep in mind when it comes to good business is this: The best business model is one where everyone feels like they win. Those are also the best deals, and the best games online when it comes to managing communities, matchmaking, etc etc. If that principle permeates a company and its games, then its almost a self fulfilling prophecy like that. Now think of cosmetic MTX and Season Passes. Everyone wins, really. Company gets to sell low-barrier of entry MTX (easy, steady and controllable income flow with continuity), or secures money up front for a Season Pass, funding dev of a new project. Consumer gets freedom of choice and lower cost of entry (F2P + MTX / Season Pass, very common, or free content updates, more choice in DLC) and his game keeps getting development time = nurturing post purchase.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

That's just a small part of it. The majority myself included didn't have 2 $hits to care about that bit considering all the other bs. They GUTTED multiplayer and some parts of the game, and if you don't want to play this objectively inferior version tough it outright replaces vanilla w3 and will even overwrite or update existing w3 installs to reforged. How could people even begin to care about mods with that mountainous pile of crap in the doorway?

D

Deleted member 158293

A few flop releases like this is good to bring game studio management back to why they are making video games in the first place... Unless lots of people bought it, then it won't change...

I would say the .05 score is more than deserved considering how much of a MASSIVE disappointment and failure the game is, how many promised features were never delivered upon, and the ones that were, are straight up downgrades from the original which is almost 20 years old at this point.

The graphics, the main selling point of any "remaster" are very mediocre, and in a lot of cases (such as the tileset) a downgrade in quality.

Add in the new EULA which decimated the custom games scene which is what WC3 is known for by forbidding copyrighted content, so no Helms deep maps, no Dota (lmao), no Naruto maps, etc. The EULA also says that if you make a game, it belongs to Blizzard period, no compensation, no warnings, nothing. Not only that but the censorship is so terrible and stupid that even the WC3 map Booty Bay is censored, and classic voice lines like the dreadlord saying "I'm a dreadlord, not a druglord!" all gone.

You also have some bizarre things such as the menu being a Chrome webapp that ends up using more resources than the game itself.

Finally, this cancerous disaster is not just contained to its own mess, if you own the classic WC3 the game forces you to use the refunded edition client which is a massive downgrade in terms of quality and features (bear in mind the client is from 2002) things like chat commands (whispering, party chat, etc) all gone. Clans? All gone.

This disaster of a game honestly makes Fallout 76 look like a well handled bug-free and controversy free game, and it hasn't even been a week.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
imagine buying a Blizzard/Activision game in 2020... or 2019..... or 2018.... who in their right minds still supports these companies?

I will pre order Diablo 4 box version as soon as its possible in my country.:)

I don't care about their other games/drama or whatever happens to them,I only play Diablo serie from Blizzard since thats still fun to me.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
One thing I haven't really seen discussed much by commentators on Youtube and elsewhere is just how draconian that EULA really is.

Imagine for a moment if a game like Stardew Valley started out as a WC3 mod (with the current EULA in effect) years before the full game came out, but it didnt' really gain any noteriety for the developer Eric "ConcernedApe" Barone. The mod doesn't ever get popular beyond a few of his friends but it was a good learning experience anyway. Then, he creates the full game Stardew Valley like he did using the same name and other story features the mod had in this scenario.

In this case, what would stop Blizzard from claiming copyright on Stardew Valley the full game, after it's got a million sales, and essentially take all of the game's profits if they felt like it?

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
Thankfully I didn't pre-order this game last year. This is a big shitshow right here.

It's sad because Starcraft: Remastered, Starcraft: Cartooned and COD: Modern Warfare were pretty good releases.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Blizz's fate was sealed the moment their shareholders decided to merge them with Activision. Sad, but such is capitalism; where those who can, do, and those who can't, get MBAs and run companies into the ground.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Blizz's fate was sealed the moment their shareholders decided to merge them with Activision. Sad, but such is capitalism; where those who can, do, and those who can't, get MBAs and run companies into the ground.
...but they are not running it into the ground. Regardless of which date you use for the launch of Activision/Blizzard (2008 when Vivendi was the holding company or 2013 when Activision bought them out whole) the stock was trading around $14-18. Right now it's at $58 from a recent high of $80 just a few years back. Therein lies the problem, those MBA are giving the masses what they want. Unfortunately for us the masses taste in games sucks and they want something "new" but just like the old one.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I'd say the OP is in the minority. Look no further than the Ars Technica run down on why this release is a steaming POS and deserves contempt. To claim most games under 8/10 are worse than this garbage is a pathetic response. I wonder how on the earth the average review gives it 63/100. Blizzard really are a joke these days.

Normally I would say judge a game on it's own merits. However, Blizzard has done this to themselves. Whoever is making these latest string of very bad decisions needs to be shown the door, like FAST!

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Are these articles being written by a robot (AI) using Google Translate? Isn't someone supposed to be overseeing this, like a copy editor?

Are these articles being written by a robot (AI) using Google Translate? Isn't someone supposed to be overseeing this, like a copy editor?
Would you like to elaborate in more detail? What, exactly, do you have a problem with?

System Name Bongfjaes
Processor AMD 3700x
Motherboard Assus Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB + Lots of spinning rust
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2268wm
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic TTR-1000
Mouse Pro Intellimouse
Keyboard SteelKeys 6G
What are you on about?, its completly deserved.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Well I've liked Overwatch at least from their recent games.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Yeah that EULA is pure evil. It's funny seeing media reviews for 75 or so, makes me wonder what they got paid under the table, or whether they're just willing to smear mud over their name to get it to the top of some awful list.

One could argue that the EULA isn't part of the game I guess.

edit: I wouldn't though, but otoh I rarely care for those things.

Last edited: