• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Support TechPowerUp on Patreon, Unlock New Features

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
sorry for being a Debby downer, but an ex employee told me what this site makes a month.. I'll give to a charity that actually needs it.

Love the site so don't get me wrong, but they isn't starving like some ppl :lovetpu:
Everyone has to make their own choices, however, keeping an online business ahead of the game is no easy feat nowadays since it's a very crowded place. One has to work twice as hard to even get noticed on the Internet.
Unless of course you're a pouting, preening celeb on Instagram or YouTube.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
If you want I can turn them back on for your account
Yes please, thank you very much.
It's a two way thing: it learns what I like, and I also used to click on some links to support TPU (when I saw something interesting). I can always block them on my end when I want to.

I'm pretty new to this site, and I see no problem with having the potential of paying for a subscription.
Except that I'm not sure it's a good idea to cut-out the advertisers to subscribers, except perhaps to the very top tier.
Because you might find it harder to get advertising revenue then, and then you'll have to cut back on what you do.
Which is bad for everyone.
Like no more business jet for Wizzard....:-}

If I paid an optional subscription, I'd like to get some value for it: not just not having to see silly ads.
Maybe a chance to vote on , or suggest some specific items, where other subscribers voted.
But then they'd be open to everyone.

I don't see the ads as very annoying on TPU, say compared to Tom's Hardware.
And I really like the overall organisation in TPU: the general professionalism of it.

I think the people who are uneasy about the idea of a subscription are forgetting about the history of journalism.

Go back to when everything was print format, and the business model ranged from 100% supported by industry, as a sort of mouthpiece for it, to the other extreme of 100% subscription based.
And in between, you'd have some degree of advertising revenue: ranging from a small fraction to a very large one.
In addition, some were run at a loss by the publisher for various reasons: political, altruistic or perhaps as a loss leader to their other concerns.

All this changed with electronic media, and a lot of the older journals have gun belly up.
Although a lot of new ones sprang up: some good, some mediocre, and some really bad.

And because it's very hard to collect from the readers for them, so a lot have gone onto getting a very large fraction from advertising.
And I think that's really hurt the clout of journals.

Look at the NY Times.
It went from print format, to both print and digital.
And it hasn't been an easy time, but it just passed 5 million paid subscribers now, with over 85% of them digital.
Out of $191 million advertising revenue, $103 million as digital.
With $264 million revenue from digital subscriptions.
And its newsroom staff is now at 1,600 people: the highest in history.

I think it's a good journal, and I don't object to paying $125/year to read it on-line.

The Economist is at 1.7million paid readers, of which 870k is print.
59% of revenue was from subscription.
It costs more though: $200/year for digital and print combined.

But now you've got some clown putting a homemade video on YouTube, and telling you whatever they want to, and the more successful ones do it for $$$$.
A LOT of $$$ in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Youtube.
And I'm not against someone making money from what they spend time on if they're good at it.

Anyways, Mr. Wizzard and Co, keep up the good work.

Alan Jarvis
Sheffield