• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BioWare is Preparing Anthem Reboot with Major Changes Coming

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just chiming in to say the poll attached to this article is beyond stupid. I think the base concept of Anthem has some merit, but it's execution was rather terrible (full disclosure, I never tried it given the universally poor reviews). Having a new go at it seems like a good idea then, no? Yet the poll for some reason only has the alternatives of either already liking the game and thus being in favor of a reboot (how does that make sense?) or disliking the game and thus not wanting one (again, what?). No matter people's opinions on Anthem itself or the proposed reboot, this poll is incredibly poorly thought out.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
I wouldn't write it off completely. FF14 is my shining example of a launch that was absolutely hot garbage and ruined the franchise. Then the company took the opportunity to completely relaunch it, took multiple years and is now I think objectively the best MMO you can play. If actually executed correctly, you can resurrect a failed MMO. Obviously this isn't easy.
a very good example of a re-boot done well.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Anthem doesn't need a reboot, it needs a mercy killing. There is nothing that EA/Bioware can do to make a boring copycat game completely devoid of any unique ideas, interesting enough that people will want to play it.

My guess is this "reboot" will consist of EA shoehorning in loot boxes and advertising that as the next big thing. Because it's EA, and EA is run by morons.

There are many issues with Anthem, but the one thing that made it stand out was the ability to jetback and jetboost almost anywhere. I just wish they did away with the stupid overheating mechanic, and instead of having fights in 2.5D (mostly ground combat with an occasional bit of flying), make it full-time 3D combat (effectively aerial dogfights, but with humanoid forms rather than planes or giant robots). I mean, about half the puzzles in-game are 3D, requiring diving or boosting up to find the parts, but combat is still like your usual Destiny or Division 2. Even the occasional floaty enemy isn't new; the Jetpack-using enemies in Anthem are just like the Cabal Commanders in Destiny; jump up, hover, and spam with their gun before coming back down.

If they wanted to make maps feel bigger or make it take longer to get to objectives, throwing some aerial combat en-route would be preferable to a forced landing to cool down the thrusters. Leave the overheating mechanic to weapon and ability waste heat and flame-based enemy attacks. That would provide that balance between spamming abilities/weapons against land-bound enemies while hovering with impunity with needing to make sure players don't overheat their armor and end up having to land or needing a way to cool off (like diving through a waterfall).

Rebalance the classes around the new flying and overheating mechanics, such as Storm-users having lower waste heat from ability attacks (or even being able to cycle it; becoming hotter as they draw heat away to create ice spells, but then absorbing that heat to fire flame spells), Colossi better able to dissipate heat allowing them to both better tank against flame abilities and using their own weapons/abilities longer before overheating, Rangers needing to balance heat vs the short CD on their abilities and weapon choices, and Interceptors quickly building up heat in melee combat but being able to channel it out as part of a heat-based melee ability (flame blades if you will) and as a sort of afterburner dump that speeds them up in one direction but reduces their ability to change directions (convenient for a sort of Interceptor jet-assisted dash-evasion, or faster flying).

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Imho not a bad game, just missing the strong story to keep you playing. Graphics well done, beautiful world, nice control and gameplay, dinstinguishable roles and abilities of the 3 player-types, not buggy after the first 5 months. Just boring without company due to the lack of an interesting story to follow to the end. But this genre is known for not having good story writing eh? Far cry series imho is very close to that aspect with the 3rd one being good enough to my liking.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
I'm Glad they're going to do something with this game. Anthem has a lot of potential.

System Name MainGamer
Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-A
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB 2x16GB Corsair 4000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5700XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Titan Army 34" 3440x1440 165hz
Case Coolermaster Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850 G5
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I will definitely play again, the game was really good until endgame which got stale fast.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol. There's no saving grace for EA is there. Micro-manage development and EA's at fault. Hands-off development and still EA's at fault.

I do agree that EA is guilty for nudging its studios to use Frostbite and Bioware paid for it by trying to frankenstein it for RPG a la ME Andromeda.

But then according to the Kotaku report the numb-heads at Bioware scrapped it and tried to frankenstein frostbite again for Anthem. That's sole on them.

At one point we have to admit that legendary studios aren't what they once were. Studios are compromised of people and the same people aren't just there anymore. Bathesda, Blizzard, Bioware etc. Hell even Dan Houser recently left Rockstar so I don't think it'll be same anymore too.

It's common sense, I'll explain with an analogy.

Too hot? Turn the heat down. Too cold? Turn the heat up. Food is arrives burnt/undercooked who else is to blame but the chef?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
It's common sense, I'll explain with an analogy.

Too hot? Turn the heat down. Too cold? Turn the heat up. Food is arrives burnt/undercooked who else is to blame but the chef?

Your analogy is terrible because I have no freaking idea who the chef is.

But it doesn't matter anyway - once BioWare was bought by EA their fate was sealed, like every game dev that gets bought by EA. I'm gonna call it now: shortly after this Anthem reboot flops, EA will announce that BioWare is being disbanded.

Reactions: bug
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Your analogy is terrible because I have no freaking idea who the chef is.

But it doesn't matter anyway - once BioWare was bought by EA their fate was sealed, like every game dev that gets bought by EA. I'm gonna call it now: shortly after this Anthem reboot flops, EA will announce that BioWare is being disbanded.

You ignorance doesn't make an analogy terrible.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
You ignorance doesn't make an analogy terrible.
Let me give my own analogy then. Bioware is the kitchrn. Bioware management is the sous chef of that kitchen. EA is the restaurant. EA corporate is the master chef or restaurant management if you will.

Bioware sucks because the sous chef of the kitchen sucks.

EA (the chief chef or management) told them to use restaurant's own branded tools (frostbite) to make dishes (games).

The tools were shit for anything other than a niche dish (battlefield/fps).

That would've been a problem unless they already fixed the the tools for their liking in a previous dish (ME: A). But the dumb sous chef of the kitchen got rid of it and told kitchen staff to modify the tools anew wasting time and resources (Jason Scherir report).

Not to mention the kitchen wasted years trying to do this and that. Ofc the tools were also to blame. Instead of creating sample dishes quickly and then throwing it away if it doesn't taste good, the sample dishes took a long time to cook and had to be thrown away anyway. (frosbite woes)

Hell, the only good part of the dish (flying) was in the final game was because the master chef (some swedish exec iirc) liked it.

But back to the sous chef. you couldn't even discuss same dish (looter shooter) made by other restaurant/kitchen (e.g. destiny, the division ) and inadvertently the flaws and how to correct those flaws on their dish (schreir report).

Now let's compare that to Respawn and Vince Zampalla and co. (the sous chef and his kitchen). They flipped the bird to the restaurant management and stuck with tools they are comfortable with (source for titanfall and UE4 for star wars... ughh.. idr the name).

Now you're gonna say aha! the tools are at fault mandated by the master chef (EA).

Yes and no. EA didn't force to use frostbite. Just that it'd be better supported by the technical team and free compared to other engine licenses they'd have to buy from their budget.

But then again it's a moot point because thr tools were already modified for similar dish (ME: A) but the sous chef got rid of it.

So the gist of it is, yes EA sucks but Bioware sucks more.