• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Activision Blizzard Pulls Out of NVIDIA GeForce Now Game Streaming Service

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
The video-game industry needs a great cleansing...

Id rather the game be localized than fed over a connection that can be unstable at times and that goes across the entire spectrum of internet service
And, at least for the time being, you'll still be able to do that.

But mainstream gaming is expected to move to shared infrastructure (cloud or edge) - just like pretty much any other task we use computers for.
$60 for cable then $15 for Netflix, $15 for HBO Go, $15 for Disney+ and then an Amazon prime acct for streaming + whatever game pass ($15) + GeforceNow $5 or whatever cloud provider you use and after fees and taxes you're north of $150 a month just for games + movies.
Cable as in what? Cable TV? $60? :eek:

Sure, game streaming will cost you a few USD a month. Maybe more if you game a lot and tariff is based on usage.
But you save a lot on hardware. You save space at home. You can game everywhere, on almost everything (even beyond what gaming laptops offer).

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
They may earn a little, before people learn about the lag and the unplayeability
Only single player games may not feel horrible

Yeah the main issue is that the lag is so inconsistent among players -- if they come out with a set of their own multiplayer servers (or figure out some way to strike a deal with the game company to consistently match-make based on lag as a factor.) then it might be doable. If everyone has a 100ms lag across the board then the game can still be fun, even if it feels a bit mushy.

Cable as in what? Cable TV? $60? :eek:

Internet only; assuming best case scenario there of a cable tv - cut household with streaming services.

System Name Avell old monster - Workstation T1 - HTPC
Processor i7-3630QM\i7-5960x\Ryzen 3 2200G
Cooling Stock.
Memory 2x4Gb @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7970M \ EVGA GTX 980\ Vega 8
Storage SSD Sandisk Ultra li - 480 GB + 1 TB 5400 RPM WD - 960gb SDD + 2TB HDD
IMHO This is all a joke. Ok, of course, it's going to capture some consumers...
However there is no infrastructure to support 50% of the gamers in the world at the same time. Netflix alone consumes half the world's bandwidth.
Btw They don't know that streaming games will revolutionize and replace regular stored games. They just want and twist it, just like AMD cheers for HBM. :cool:

Yeah the main issue is that the lag is so inconsistent among players -- if they come out with a set of their own multiplayer servers (or figure out some way to strike a deal with the game company to consistently match-make based on lag as a factor.) then it might be doable. If everyone has a 100ms lag across the board then the game can still be fun, even if it feels a bit mushy.
There are at least millions of people who even doesn't know what ping or lag is. And people who knows and want to play under better circumstances would pay more and buy a grapcihs card instead. So it would be a win-win situation for nivida anyway.

Internet only; assuming best case scenario there of a cable tv - cut household with streaming services.
But people use Internet access for other things, so counting it into "just for games + movies" is a bit of a stretch. :)

At this point we don't know how much game streaming will cost.
How much do most people spend on gaming PCs? Let's say: $500/year.
As such, $50/month should still be an acceptable price and at least today it looks like services will be quite a bit cheaper.

Honestly, next to that, movie streaming seems like a rip-off. It offers a lot less added convenience.

We pay $10-15 a month per service, with most people going for at least 2 platforms (I use 3).
But essentially it's just a TV signal replacement. You still get a choice of movies - (usually) some time after the cinema premiere.
TV decoders often came with easy to use recorders, so you weren't limited by the TV schedule.
Even before Netflix etc. arrived we already had VOD services - often available for free with TV plans.

Netflix alone consumes half the world's bandwidth.
I see this a lot. Does anyone know the original source? Or do people come up with this independently?
Then again... we still have flat-earthers in 2020...

There are at least millions of people who even doesn't know what ping or lag is. And people who knows and want to play under better circumstances would pay more and buy a grapcihs card instead. So it would be a win-win situation for nivida anyway.
Exactly. Nvidia, being very dependent on gaming industry, has to make money from streaming - either by supplying GPUs or directly - by running a service.

It's a similar move to what AMD did with consoles.

Streaming may be the future for many, but given how crappy rural and some suburban internet still is even in America (to say nothing of 3rd world countries), physical games won't entirely go away for at least another 10 years. It'd require an act of God or competent governments to seriously put in the effort to really connect everyone everywhere.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Actually I do.

And that is totally fine. Theres nothing wrong with not liking something. But when you say things like "I dont like it, so others shouldnt either" Then that bugs me. if you dont want to support any of those services theres always piratebay. You can choose to support them or not.

What about people who already have 300 games or people who plays only 1, 2 or 3 games? What are their options?

Whatever is available in the library. This service ticks a lot of boxes because how many millions of people have browsed through steam and thought "Yeah, id kinda like to play that. It looks interesting..." but cant because thats $10-60 out of their pocket?? They gotta pay to play and if they decided they didnt like the game??? getting a refund is difficult.

With this one off subscription fee, you have access to whatever is in their library so long as it aint as bone dry as stadia's. You might own 300 games on steam. but there are more than 300 games on steam and for filthy casuals that maybe game 3-5hrs per week mainly on weekends being able to play whatever game they want in a library ticks a lot of boxes and thats what people dont seem to be understanding.

At the end of the day, Stadia's business model was bad because you had to pay for the service then pay for the games. Google has a history of shit canning things that dont work properly for them or just arent super successful. Meaning that if stadia were to kick the bucket you'd absolutely lose out because you cant get refunds for the games you bought and i doubt Google will send out hardcopies or gamekeys for the games you paid for on their service.

That was a terrible model. but theyve changed the system now. Nvidia's system is a lot easier to swallow. if they announced they were shit canning the project and shutting shop the next day. You only invested a few dollars a month to get access to it its not a huge loss. You paid a few doillars to play their games. on stadia you pay full RRP to OWN any game on their platform thats highly at risk of being shutdown.

Imagine if steam came out with a subscription service where you paid $10-15 a month to access their entire library. Now that would be truely amazing.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Because you're wishing for the platform to offer less player choice for people who might actually want to use the service. You're kind of projecting that "I don't like this service, so I don't want others to like it too" kind of ethos. That's kinda selfish

So you're subbed to netflix and amazon prime but video streaming is okay? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Smh

::EDIT::

Your opinion is that "I dont like gaming streaming services" - thats fine but you were like "THATS FINE" -- Like "great, i hope they choke on it too"

or

Me: "My friend has cancer..."
You: "This is GREAT NEWS, because i dont like him, but cancer bad yes. cancer very bad..."

Its like you're wishing ill will on someone because you personally dont like them because of one reason for another, maybe it was because the style of his hair, but at the same time the same guy ran marathons in aid of and raised money for loads of charities.

-- You might not be what i said you were above, but you are most definitely petty - Petty was the word i was looking for but i was half asleep.
Does it even matter what I think? It's my opinion and a platform which I can express my opinion in a open forum.
You have opinions as do everybody else. Our opinions won't align with each others all the time.

Hmmm... based on Activision-Blizzard's piss poor decision-making as of late, I fully expect GeforceNow to become hugely successful in the next year.
Not with game makers.
Not with developers.
Only time will tell though,

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Does it even matter what I think? It's my opinion and a platform which I can express my opinion in a open forum.

Not really. But what matters is the way you worded it irks me the most and triggers me to no end.

Like i said to DeathtoGnomes - You are free to hate it. You can hate it as much as you want. I aint got a problem with that, But when you go spreading your hate and telling other people to hate it because you hate it, then It becomes toxic and thats something im trying to combat.

Nvidia's service might be a great way for people to discover new games and play games they otherwise wouldnt of played because they dont have the time and money to invest.
Its not perfect and cloud gaming has its own set of problems but the price you pay to subscribe to it is really such a non issue compared to the model that Stadia was going for.

Not only that - There should be something for the entire family in the library which means if you got a family. you dont need to keep forking out cash for individual games for each family member, when everything is available for one flat monthly fee.

Its not what you said. its how you said it.

Plus more player choice is always a bonus. You dont subscribe to netflix because it has a small handful of movies - you sub to them because they have a bucket loads of movies - otherwise nobody would buy into the service.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Not really. But what matters is the way you worded it irks me the most and triggers me to no end.

Like i said to DeathtoGnomes - You are free to hate it. You can hate it as much as you want. I aint got a problem with that, But when you go spreading your hate and telling other people to hate it because you hate it, then It becomes toxic and thats something im trying to combat.

Nvidia's service might be a great way for people to discover new games and play games they otherwise wouldnt of played because they dont have the time and money to invest.
Its not perfect and cloud gaming has its own set of problems but the price you pay to subscribe to it is really such a non issue compared to the model that Stadia was going for.

Not only that - There should be something for the entire family in the library which means if you got a family. you dont need to keep forking out cash for individual games for each family member, when everything is available for one flat monthly fee.

Its not what you said. its how you said it.

Plus more player choice is always a bonus. You dont subscribe to netflix because it has a small handful of movies - you sub to them because they have a bucket loads of movies - otherwise nobody would buy into the service.
If I had a choice I would go with GeForce Now over Stadia only because you can utilize it with your own purchased games off Steam and hard copies. But I don't think GeForce Now is developer friendly as Nvidia would have almost total control over game purchases, at least that's how I see it.

Anyhow I like the classic retro style PC Gaming, buy the game either a hard copy or digitally through Steam, and choose if you want MMO or Single Player gaming, no streaming required.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
Bummer, I was using GeForce Now to play wow it worked fanstically with fiber optic internet.

System Name Avell old monster - Workstation T1 - HTPC
Processor i7-3630QM\i7-5960x\Ryzen 3 2200G
Cooling Stock.
Memory 2x4Gb @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7970M \ EVGA GTX 980\ Vega 8
Storage SSD Sandisk Ultra li - 480 GB + 1 TB 5400 RPM WD - 960gb SDD + 2TB HDD
I see this a lot. Does anyone know the original source? Or do people come up with this independently?
Then again... we still have flat-earthers in 2020...

Just a correction: **conbinated video streaming services consume 50~60% of the planet's internet.

Source: "Global Internet Phenomena Report"

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I guess they didn't get the black leather jacket they wanted ;)

Bummer, I was using GeForce Now to play wow it worked fanstically with fiber optic internet.

I would hate to be in the middle of a raid and time expire.

Loot drops, Oh I been looking for that item for sooooo long. Raid leader can i have it? You have been disconnected from your session. Man that was only the first boss. :banghead:

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
3 words: Stadia is dead.

Engadget said:
Rumors suggest that Activision Blizzard might be taking its games to one of NVIDIA's biggest game streaming rivals: Google Stadia. Last month, the publisher and Google agreed a multi-year partnership that brought the former's esports events (including Overwatch League and Call of Duty League) to YouTube. Google Cloud will also handle Activision Blizzard's game hosting and streaming infrastructure.

Just a correction: **conbinated video streaming services consume 50~60% of the planet's internet.

Source: "Global Internet Phenomena Report"
It's good to give a link, especially when source isn't obvious nor popular.
The name you gave points to a series of reports by Sandvine, e.g.:
I won't focus on whether this report is reliable and the methodology (which is largely unknown to me).
First and foremost: we don't know much about the sample. Given their profile, I assume this is mostly about consumers, not business-to-business Internet traffic.

But more importantly: your comment is still wrong.
What the report says is: video is responsible for 50-60% of downstream transfer.
Basically: Sandvine checked a group of users and 60% of data they downloaded was video. This has absolutely nothing to do with total bandwidth of "planet's internet".
In fact, it would be really hard to define the total available bandwidth of Internet - it's not centralized.

Does the 60% figure make sense? I think it does - on average, globally. I bet it's much higher in my case.

And lastly: you should not be worried that game streaming won't "fit" next to video streaming. It won't be run next to video. It will be run instead of it, i.e. most consumers will either watch movies or play games - seldom both at the same time.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's always the customer that suffers in the end.

Its a streaming service. Nobody is suffering here. You unsub and you're done.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Apparently there was a misunderstanding between Nvidia, and Activision Blizzard.

Techspot said:
Nvidia now says the whole situation was the result of a "misunderstanding" between itself and Activision Blizzard.

In short.

Misunderstanding = Public release requires more money to be exchanged

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I'm sure it will get sorted, like AMD will eventually sort out their drivers.

You pay your money, and you get your product, ready or not.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Neowin said:
A few major game publishers don't appear to be pleased after Nvidia released its GeForce Now game streaming service out of beta earlier this month. Bethesda Softworks has just pulled most of its games from the service.

Nvidia officially announced Bethesda Softworks' latest move in its forum and confirmed that only Wolfenstein: Youngblood will remain available to all GeForce Now members for the meantime (via Polygon). Furthermore, "Founders" members can continue playing the game with RTX On. Games that will be pulled from GeForce Now include Fallout 3, Fallout 76, New Vegas, The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, Doom (2016), Dishonored, Dishonored 2, The Evil Within 2, and the rest of the Wolfenstein series.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
This is great news. I don't like these game streaming services. The thought of monthly subscriptions? No Thanks
NVs service is quite different from Stadia, you basically subscribe to hardware and use your existing library.
At least that's my understanding.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
2K has requested removal of it's published games from Geforce Now.

In yet another quiet post to the GeForce Now forums, Nvidia has said that “per publisher request, please be advised 2K Games titles will be removed from GeForce Now today. We are working with 2K Games to re-enable their games in the future.”