• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Shift GTC to Online Event, Citing Coronavirus Concerns

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
NVIDIA today announced that their yearly GPU Technology Conference (GTC) will be held online, instead of locally at the San Jose Convention Center as previously planned. The company cites Covid-19 (colloquially called Coronavirus) concerns as the root cause - the health of both its professionals and attendees is paramount for the company, and as such, an online event seems more inline with the state of the world.

In the press note, NVIDIA also said that NVIDIA founder and CEO Jensen Huang will still deliver a keynote address, which will be available exclusively by livestream. All those who registered for a GTC pass will receive a full refund. This is yet another event that has been impacted by the recent virus outbreak that has the world's economies teetering, but for the more cynical among us, it could be the beginning of a new way of doing this sorts of events: online, rather than locally, thus reducing the required investment and logistics usually associated with such.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
Yeah the Compute group in Carnegie were asking why the purchase order (for the C&T passes) didn't push through even though it's been a week in processing.

The fact that they are not cancelling Jensen's speech means only one thing: he has something very important to announce.

I really want to believe it's gonna be Ampere but it might be a Volta/Turing successor (i.e. something which precedes Ampere and is only meant for AI/compute).

P.S. A news tip has been sent by yours truly ;-)

There's no stopping this juggernaut. 7nm EUV plus a brand new arch. RIP everybody in the GPU game.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
There's no stopping this juggernaut
Except the lack of healthy manpower to fill those production lines
In case you have not noticed alot of china is in lockdown
manafacturing plants shut
Only good thing that has come of this is Air Pollution is significantly down in China

The fact that they are not cancelling Jensen's speech means only one thing: he has something very important to announce.

I really want to believe it's gonna be Ampere but it might be a Volta/Turing successor (i.e. something which precedes Ampere and is only meant for AI/compute).

P.S. A news tip has been sent by yours truly ;-)

GTC is an AI and DL conference, hardly Nvidia will announce something for gaming.

The sooner people let go of those expectations, the less they will be disappointed.

Won't be long before all major sporting events follow suit. Just a matter of time.

GTC is an AI and DL conference, hardly Nvidia will announce something for gaming.

The sooner people let go of those expectations, the less they will be disappointed.
I decided to skip Turing altogether - still rocking my GTX 1060 6GB, so I don't care when Ampere gets released.

Only good thing that has come of this is Air Pollution is significantly down in China

Parts of Italy is also in lockdown & Ferrari has closed it's doors to the public.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

My read exactly.

Their compute architecture generally ends up as a cut-down version in their gaming lines, and the % performance improvements claimed will allow us to broadly gauge the performance of the next-gen products... so this is completely relevant.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
My read exactly.

Their compute architecture generally ends up as a cut-down version in their gaming lines, and the % performance improvements claimed will allow us to broadly gauge the performance of the next-gen products... so this is completely relevant.
I'm not sure about that, the competition in Ai might mean Nvidia has no choice but to make a more focused architecture which cannot be gamed with.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

ARF

Won't be long before all major sporting events follow suit. Just a matter of time.

Why ?

Aren't you tired already of this threat of paralysing our society ? WTH?

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
A lot of major production lines are not in the danger zone. Assembly lines are restarting already. That is assuming they haven't been converted to making medical supplies though...

Why ?

Aren't you tired already of this threat of paralysing our society ? WTH?

Why? I'm sure your intelligent enough to work this one out for yourself.

Aren't you tired already of this threat of paralysing our society ? No, I'm monitoring the situation for my own health.

WTH? AHhhh

everyone in this forum knows that. but remember GTC 2018? nvidia unveil Quadro RTX during the event and we quickly know those same Quadro will be used in Geforce line up.

I'm not sure about that, the competition in Ai might mean Nvidia has no choice but to make a more focused architecture which cannot be gamed with.

from what i see most of the competition is on inference. for training it seems GPU still the king of the hill. but yes even for inference nvidia already have prototype called RC18 which if i understand correctly is their specific chip for doing inference only. nvidia for their part can release the inference chip as it is (to compete with other AI player in inference market) or integrate it with their GPU design.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA also said that NVIDIA founder and CEO Jensen Huang will still deliver a keynote address,

25 mins of PR Bullsh#t followed by about 2 mins of actual new hardware news then.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
everyone in this forum knows that. but remember GTC 2018? nvidia unveil Quadro RTX during the event and we quickly know those same Quadro will be used in Geforce line up.
Quadro and even Titan cards are certainly within scope for GTC, and we may get some good hints about upcoming consumer products. But I doubt there will be any purely consumer products launching at GTC. (but you never know)

Quadro and even Titan cards are certainly within scope for GTC, and we may get some good hints about upcoming consumer products. But I doubt there will be any purely consumer products launching at GTC. (but you never know)
yep in GTC 2015 they also show us maxwell titan x which the cut down version end up being 980Ti (which in games sometimes end up being faster due to AIB custom model)

Told you it was coming, it's on it's way. Most if not all sports will be done behind closed doors. This is the right thing to do.

While that's true, not all sports are moving indoors or without spectators especially in this part of this world. We really need a cure/vaccine for this one & fast, it'll come back much worse in the fall or autumn as did the infamous "Spanish flu" over a century back :shadedshu:

While that's true, not all sports are moving indoors or without spectators especially in this part of this world. We really need a cure/vaccine for this one & fast, it'll come back much worse in the fall or autumn as did the infamous "Spanish flu" over a century back :shadedshu:

When there's a large spike & there's a few thousands with a small number of deaths, that's where change will come. Any large gathering of people should/will be cancelled.

Even if they did not closes the doors on those football matches, would you still go knowing there is a risk you can catch it.
I for one would not go & the stands would be half empty as most people would stay at home & watch from there.

Last edited: