• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Water Blocks Announces EK-Furious Meltemi 120 High-speed Fan

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EK, the premium liquid cooling gear manufacturer is launching its most extreme fan to date, the EK-Furious Meltemi 120. This 38 mm thick extreme high-static pressure radiator cooling fan is designed purely for highest-performance computer liquid cooling systems. Developed in-house on the basis of the renowned EK-Vardar fans, they have a wide PWM range of operation and the highest speed of up to 3500 rpm. Due to a 38 mm thick frame, there is space for an upgraded motor and far superior performance compared to any standard 25 mm thick fan at the same RPM range.

The Meltemi family of cooling fans carries the name of a type of strong, dry northern winds of the Aegean Sea. The name Meltemi is derived from Italian mal tempo meaning "bad weather", while we can say that the EK's Meltemi fans are "bad news" for high temperatures. These fans provide the best possible performance in pull mode. Such a regime evens out the airflow through the entire surface of the radiator since the motor hub dead zone effect is lessened. The fan is equipped with a red sleeved cable just to warn off those curious little fingers from getting hurt. Seriously, 3500 rpm is no joke, and you should be extra careful around these fans if they are in operation.

The key characteristics of EK-Furious Meltemi fans are:
  • High-static pressure - unlike other general-purpose computer cooling fans, the EK-Furious Meltemi fans are built specifically for computer liquid cooling systems, namely radiator cooling. The new 7 fan blade design is optimized for extremely high-pressure built upon a massive motor housed in a 38 mm thick frame.
  • High-quality motor and bearing assembly - New electrical design, and the Dual-Ball bearing with 50.000 hours of lifespan (MTBF) @40C operation ensures uninterrupted operation for years to come. Precise Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) for fan speed adjustment allows performance adjustment on demand.
  • Sealed-edge fan casing - The classic, yet the effective square shape of the fan casing provides optimal performance in either pull - (suction) or push (pressure) regime without hydraulic losses, thus ensuring the optimal cooling capacity of your liquid cooling radiators. The classic shape of the fan frame also allows easy cable routing while grouping more fans on one radiator. For the best performance, EK recommends using the EK-Furious Meltemi 120ER in pull mode.
  • Robust design - The EK-Furious Meltemi fans fit subtly into any liquid cooling computer giving it an industrial look based on quality and performance.
  • Sleeved cable - It comes with a 500 mm long, red nylon-sleeved 4-pin PWM cable.
The operational range of the EK-Furious Meltemi 120 is 1200-3500 rpm (+/-10%) with the typical power draw of 9.3 W. The maximum airflow at 3500 rpm is 121 CFM with 7.13 mm H2O pressure.

Availability and Pricing
The EK-Furious Meltemi 120 (1200-3500rpm) is readily available for purchase through the EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network. In the table below, you can see the manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) with VAT included.

EK-Furious Meltemi 120 (1200-3500rpm) 25.90€.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Visiting the EKWB site, it shows up as $30 USD. Looks like it's currently only available in 120mm too. Looks nice though.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
ouch... 60dba !!!!!
not for desktops for sure!!!!

Desktops with very powerful fan controllers and different room installs...

LoL

I wonder if EK improved the Meltmi at all since the last review of their earlier ER variant that TPU reviewed here.

I'd also like to see how it compares to a Nidec Beta, Delta, and San Ace of similar equivalent RPM, considering this is clearly looking to be an attempt at a cheaper "server-like" fan at around 30 USD. Similar Deltas could be had for about the same from Sidewinder, and there are some rebranded Delta equivalents on Amazon too. San Aces, Nidecs, and Sunon tend to be a bit more expensive per fan unless one buys them used or buys them in bulk.

I wonder if EK improved the Meltmi at all since the last review of their earlier ER variant that TPU reviewed here.

I'd also like to see how it compares to a Nidec Beta, Delta, and San Ace of similar equivalent RPM, considering this is clearly looking to be an attempt at a cheaper "server-like" fan at around 30 USD. Similar Deltas could be had for about the same from Sidewinder, and there are some rebranded Delta equivalents on Amazon too. San Aces, Nidecs, and Sunon tend to be a bit more expensive per fan unless one buys them used or buys them in bulk.

The original one stopped at 1800rpm, I think this one is just the previous unleashed. Look at the power consumption

The original one stopped at 1800rpm, I think this one is just the previous unleashed. Look at the power consumption

That's why I mentioned that I'd like to see a comparison to Deltas (at the very least); since Sidewinder Computers (among others) still markets Deltas with similar performance for cheaper like this one (out of stock currently), or this one (a x25mm height even), or this one; all of them only lacking PWM. For that matter, one of those Deltas have vanes to "straighten" the airflow and punch more air through fins and airflow-restricted spaces, while the other two are closer to general performance much like the Furious Meltmi (lacking fins and mostly just fan). Maybe also throw in some comparisons to the newer Nidec Gentle Typhoon (2150RPM w/ PWM) as well as the older Gentle Typhoons (AP-29 and AP-30 if one can find them; occasionally in stock on Amazon or other places).

While it may sound like I'm insulting the Meltmi series at every turn, I'd expect them to at least match up to the original heavy hitters in the PC cooling world, especially since it's a x38mm height fan demanding around 25~30 USD per fan. On paper, the Meltmi looks worse than most of those old Deltas, and maybe even those GTs. Even their older x25mm height Vardars were giving similar GTs and lower RPM Deltas a run for their money.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Meltemi: An annual summer local daily wind occurring in the Greek seas and mainly in the Aegean