• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In Light of COVID-19, MSI Extends Warranty Protection for Customers With Warranties Expiring in March

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
COVID-19 has brought many industries in the world to an almost standstill as quarantine mechanisms are put in place in both public and private sectors. The economic impact of the - now declared pandemic by the World Health Organization - outbreak will likely be felt for years to come. Thank to that globalization and the interconnectedness of various markets, including the global supply chain.

In light of this, MSI has decided to extend the warranty period for products falling in the categories of desktops, motherboards, AIO computers, PC cases and monitors (this excludes graphics cards and laptops, which are also quite important in the overall companies' outlook). Furthermore, this warranty extension is limited to countries that have been the most affected by the recent outbreak - U.S., Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

To qualify for the extension, you also have to be part of MSI's Rewards program, and your products' warranty must expire within the month of March. To me, this seems like a sensible move from the company, ensuring that warranty claims on their products that might be claimed this month are more spread-out throughout April and May. This also allows their customers to keep away from any public concentrations that might arise from a post-office trip to mail-in their defective product in these more heavily-infected areas. Kudos to MSI for such a customer-friendly move.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Good on MSI, though the exceptions are a little odd.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Good on MSI, though the exceptions are a little odd.

So i checked out their rewards programme

Basically MSI want you to sign up to their mailing list and also shill for them for those two months extra warranty otherwise f**k your sh*t lmao.

They got a tier'd set up - the more MSi crap you buy, the more points you accrue to be given free stuff and even given the opportunity to be invited out to big events if you absolutely rinse your credit card on them.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
So i checked out their rewards programme

Basically MSI want you to sign up to their mailing list and also shill for them for those two months extra warranty otherwise f**k your sh*t lmao.

They got a tier'd set up - the more MSi crap you buy, the more points you accrue to be given free stuff and even given the opportunity to be invited out to big events if you absolutely rinse your credit card on them.

Ehh...

Well there goes all of that good will.

MSI... :-(

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ehh...

Well there goes all of that good will.

MSI... :-(

Just to clarify, They have a bronze tier that requires 0 points, MSI are basically asking you to join a mailing list -- But the reward system is you shilling for them... Buying their stuff, recommending friends, reviewing their stuff.....

MSI 1.jpg

MSI 2.jpg

So the more you hype up MSI the more free stuff you get.

It will be interesting to see what sort of stuff they give you for the exclusive rewards or limited free gift. What if you shilled so much, converted your whole house and friends houses into MSI booths and they gave you an MSI plushie as a limited free gift? :roll: :roll:

D

Deleted member 67555

Just to clarify, They have a bronze tier that requires 0 points, MSI are basically asking you to join a mailing list -- But the reward system is you shilling for them... Buying their stuff, recommending friends, reviewing their stuff.....

View attachment 147933

View attachment 147934

It will be interesting to see what sort of stuff they give you for the exclusive rewards or limited free gift. What if you shilled so much, converted your whole house and friends houses into MSI booths and they gave you an MSI plushie as a limited free gift? :roll: :roll:
I'd do it...lol
I like MSi and their logo's

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855

View attachment 147933

View attachment 147934

That is a bit misleading though - You can earn points by buying their products. I don't see that as "shilling" at all. Also, MSI does not mandate that you write a good or bad review, just share your review of the products with them. And referring friends and family of a product that I have good experience with is "shilling" now? I don't understand what is this trend of loose usage of "shilling" nowadays.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
That is a bit misleading though - You can earn points by buying their products. I don't see that as "shilling" at all. Also, MSI does not mandate that you write a good or bad review, just share your review of the products with them. And referring friends and family of a product that I have good experience with is "shilling" now? I don't understand what is this trend of loose usage of "shilling" nowadays.

Because very likely MSI will be more likely to give out goodies to good boys and girls.

This system is designed to lure those people whom will be more likely to say good things.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Because very likely MSI will be more likely to give out goodies to good boys and girls.

This system is designed to lure those people whom will be more likely to say good things.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Again, where does it say that? Likely? Show me the proof!

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Again, where does it say that? Likely? Show me the proof!

Good sir,

Marketing is all psychology. Everyone knows if you kiss ass you get farther. MSI is banking on that and they are banking on the sheeple to drown out the negative reviews.

They very carefully never promise to give anyone anything besides a badge. Also to get to the high levels you are basically fanboy material and are likely to be very pro-MSI at that point.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok no proof just guess. Great.

I recommend a lot of products to friends and family to buy. So let's say I have a good experience with an MSI GPU and when someone asks me for recommendation of GPU, I say this particular one works really well for me. Go buy it. And when my friend has bought it, I tell him to register it with my MSI code (I am not registered and have no idea if that is how MSI works, but I know EVGA uses an affiliate code that when others register with your code, you get EVGA Bucks to use for its web store). In this new age of "shame the shilling", am I "shilling"?

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Ok no proof just guess. Great.

I recommend a lot of products to friends and family to buy. So let's say I have a good experience with an MSI GPU and when someone asks me for recommendation of GPU, I say this particular one works really well for me. Go buy it. And when my friend has bought it, I tell him to register it with my MSI code (I am not registered and have no idea if that is how MSI works, but I know EVGA uses an affiliate code that when others register with your code, you get EVGA Bucks to use for its web store). In this new age of "shame the shilling", am I "shilling"?

I think shilling comes in because you are being motivated by the company with kick back of a sort.

Without the affiliate linkage, would you recommend the product as much?

They call them motivators for a reason.

Also my proof is in the science of how we work. Psychology it's a thing, MSI had this pitched by a marketing company or department. If it costs anything it has to provide a benefit to the company. It's also rather cheap marketing, because it's basically having people pay to market the products. Those people posting influence others, some of those people buy, some post, and so the cycle continues and it's refreshed every product generation or two.

Here's the definition and why you are actually shilling EVGA in a sense...

shill
[SHil]

NOUN
  1. an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.
    "I used to be a shill in a Reno gambling club" · 
    [more]
VERB
  1. act or work as a shill.
    "your husband in the crowd could shill for you"

Also remember MSI ranks you on your referrals.

You slam a product, how many people will rush over to MSI to sign up and buy?

It's a system designed to reward good reviews. It's designed to reward the profit generators, which are....

The good reviews.

Last edited:
System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
I can agree with most of the things that you have stated. I do enjoy whatever products that I recommend, otherwise I would not do so. I could care less for what little EVGA rewards that I get. However, I feel the word "shilling" that you have there is used too loosely, and in general too by too many people. In this case, I am not recommending a product that I have experienced myself, not acting as an enthusiastic customer. I get the rewards based on, "hey, since you already bought it, why not register with me so we both benefits?" Sadly, once someone is labeled as a "shill", it is tough label to shake as the doubt has been instilled in others, even if it was proved false on the spot. The ugly side of the web.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

am i misleading?

If you buy their stuff for your own personal use then no its not shilling. But my use of the word 'shilling' comes from what I assume are the ways you can earn points... Referring a friend, getting them to buy MSI products - writing reviews on their products - basically go out and hype the bejesus out of MSI - because in all honesty. How much money are you going to spend from your own wallet buying MSI products to get more points?

And like i said earlier, it says "QUALIFYING PRODUCTS ONLY" - MSI can set the bar however high or low they want. What if the qualifying products are $200 or $300? Even if you have to spend $50 or $100 a pop to get more points? Youre not going to buy anything unless you really need to/want to and have had a browse at all the other options. And with so many brands to choose from. a lot of people will most likely go for the cheapest one. Thats when you turn around and hype up MSi to all your mates and get them to buy MSI gear so you can get more points for more free MSI loot.

You can recommend anything you want. But youre more likely to recommend MSI because they give you free stuff for recommending their products and getting new customers on board. Its all clever marketing hype.

obviously you dont NEED to hype MSI up. But you wont get the free loot from them if you dont. MSI aint gonna hand you VIP tickets to events for nothing you know.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
am i misleading?

If you buy their stuff for your own personal use then no its not shilling. But my use of the word 'shilling' comes from what I assume are the ways you can earn points... Referring a friend, getting them to buy MSI products - writing reviews on their products - basically go out and hype the bejesus out of MSI - because in all honesty. How much money are you going to spend from your own wallet buying MSI products to get more points?

And like i said earlier, it says "QUALIFYING PRODUCTS ONLY" - MSI can set the bar however high or low they want. What if the qualifying products are $200 or $300? Even if you have to spend $50 or $100 a pop to get more points? Youre not going to buy anything unless you really need to/want to and have had a browse at all the other options. And with so many brands to choose from. a lot of people will most likely go for the cheapest one. Thats when you turn around and hype up MSi to all your mates and get them to buy MSI gear so you can get more points for more free MSI loot.

You can recommend anything you want. But youre more likely to recommend MSI because they give you free stuff for recommending their products and getting new customers on board. Its all clever marketing hype.

obviously you dont NEED to hype MSI up. But you wont get the free loot from them if you dont. MSI aint gonna hand you VIP tickets to events for nothing you know.

Yes, misleading -
1. Buying MSI Products is not shilling. We can both agree on this. Although you said that in your post, but I will chalk it up as an honest mistake.
2. I can write a bad review, share it with MSI, get my bonus, and stop right there. How is that shilling? There is nothing that stipulates one must write a positive review to get points. So it is not true that I NEED to hype MSI up to tp get the bonus points. If MSI does that, it would be ostracized on Social Media in no time.
3. This is a gray area - if a person asks me for recommendation, knowing that I would get bonus points if the said person buys and registers the product (and obtain additional benefits), in other words, we both benefit, is that shilling? I am not sure.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Um, my distinguished peeps...what MSI is doing isn't new by any means. GIGABYTE and ASUS ROG both run similar programs -- you sign up and start off at bronze level, and get "badges" for completing certain tasks (reading a page about the member program, for instance) and points towards the next tier/rewards. I'm a member of GIGABYTE'S AORUS Membership Program, and they have 5 levels -- bronze, gold, silver, platinum and diamond. It's misleading a bit though, because only the first 4 levels are actually attainable; the Diamond level is "invite only" so by that point, if you weren't already, your only chance of getting in is to be a crazy mad AORUS fanboi with deep-ass pockets.

Only reason I joined was because I was curious and happened to own a couple AORUS products, which both turned out to be great purchases for me that I would recommend, but I'm not going to turn into a raging AORUS fangirl over them anytime soon :D

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, misleading -
1. Buying MSI Products is not shilling. We can both agree on this. Although you said that in your post, but I will chalk it up as an honest mistake.
2. I can write a bad review, share it with MSI, get my bonus, and stop right there. How is that shilling? There is nothing that stipulates one must write a positive review to get points. So it is not true that I NEED to hype MSI up to tp get the bonus points. If MSI does that, it would be ostracized on Social Media in no time.
3. This is a gray area - if a person asks me for recommendation, knowing that I would get bonus points if the said person buys and registers the product (and obtain additional benefits), in other words, we both benefit, is that shilling? I am not sure.

Alright. I guess i can say, you do you.

I mean it clearly says refer a friend multiple times. Why would MSI want you to refer a friend if that friend isn't going to buy any of their products anyway? Either way you're still influencing your friend to buy MSI products or get involved with the brand. The only way you can say you're not shilling is to not by keeping your mouth shut, not bothering with the reward scheme and offering your friend a choice of different brands should they ask about something

If your friend is looking for some hardware and you turn around and say "get msi" they will ask you why.

Regardless of if they buy anything or not. They have still signed up to the scheme.

MSI are making you do their marketing for them.

But by all means, leave your negative reviews and let's see how far you get

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

View attachment 147933

View attachment 147934

Only one gift is appropriate here

1584090911175.png

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

So....... If you promote the Nvidia based MSI cards; The more you buy, the cheaper they get, plus free shilling too?

I'm IN
(Not).

Just marketing BS, it's like what was said years ago about "When blood is running in the streets, there's money to be made" and they are just taking advantage of the virus situation here - That's the way I see it.