• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Reveals PS5 Hardware: RDNA2 Raytracing, 16 GB GDDR6, 6 GB/s SSD, 2304 GPU Cores

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sony in a YouTube stream keynote by PlayStation 5 lead system architect Mark Cerny, detailed the upcoming entertainment system's hardware. There are three key areas where the company has invested heavily in driving forward the platform by "balancing revolutionary and evolutionary" technologies. A key design focus with PlayStation 5 is storage. Cerny elaborated on how past generations of the PlayStation guided game developers' art direction as the low bandwidths and latencies of optical discs and HDDs posed crippling latencies arising out of mechanical seeks, resulting in infinitesimally lower data transfer rates than what the media is capable of in best case scenario (seeking a block of data from its outermost sectors). SSD was the #1 most requested hardware feature by game developers during the development of PS5, and Sony responded with something special.

Each PlayStation 5 ships with a PCI-Express 4.0 x4 SSD with a flash controller that has been designed in-house by Sony. The controller features 12 flash channels, and is capable of at least 5.5 GB/s transfer speeds. When you factor in the exponential gains in access time, Sony expects the SSD to provide a 100x boost in effective storage sub-system performance, resulting in practically no load times.

The secret sauce here is that Sony is using its own protocol instead of NVMe, in supporting 6 data priority tiers versus 2 on NVMe. Each PlayStation 5 ships with an 825 GB SSD, which is expandable using external HDDs over USB, or a selection of third-party M.2 NVMe SSDs certified by Sony. PlayStation 4 games can run directly off your external HDD, but PlayStation 5 games have to be transferred from your HDD to the console's main SSD. Past generations of PlayStation implemented ZLib data compression on Blu-ray and HDD media. PlayStation 5 is implementing Kraken, with hardware-accelerated de-compression via fixed-function hardware built directly into the main SoC.

SoC is where Cerny sounded restrained in what he wanted to disclose. The SoC is a semi-custom chip designed by Sony and AMD, possibly on a 7 nm-class silicon fabrication process. Sony won't specify if it is a monolithic silicon or an MCM, but there are three building-blocks to it: CPU, GPU, and I/O complex. The CPU is based on AMD "Zen 2" x86-64 microarchitecture, and the GPU is based on the company's upcoming RDNA2 graphics architecture.

There are eight "Zen 2" CPU cores, although the company didn't mention if SMT is featured. The maximum CPU clock speed is 3.50 GHz. The GPU is a whole different story from the one on the Xbox Series X Velocity Engine semi-custom chip. Sony decided to go with 36 RDNA2 compute units ticking at up to 2.23 GHz engine clock, compared to 52 compute units running at up to 1.825 GHz on the upcoming Xbox. Sony's GPU ends up with up to 10.3 TFLOPs max compute throughput, compared to Microsoft's 12 TFLOPs.

Sony also shed some "light" on the hardware-accelerated real-time ray-tracing approach AMD is taking with RDNA2. Apparently, each compute unit features a hardware component called "Intersection Engine," with roughly the same function as an RT core on NVIDIA "Turing," which is to calculate the intersection of rays with geometry (such as triangles or polygons) in a scene. This combines with a fairly standardized bounding volume hierarchy (BVH) model to achieve a hybrid of ray-traced elements in an otherwise conventional rasterized 3D scene (pretty much where NVIDIA is right now with RTX). On PlayStation 5, RDNA2's ray-tracing hardware is leveraged for positional audio, global illumination, shadows, reflections, and full ray-tracing.

The third key component of the SoC is the I/O complex. This handles all of the chip's I/O, not just with peripherals and video output, but also storage and memory. There are dedicated I/O co-processors on-silicon designed to reduce the various I/O's processing stack on the CPU cores, and reduce latencies at various stages. There's also a certain amount of SRAM that caches transfers between the various components on the I/O complex. The custom chip leverages AMD SmartShift in power-management.

PlayStation 5 uses 16 GB of GDDR6 memory. Sony did not mention the memory clock, bandwidth, or even the memory bus width. It did drop some hints about memory management. It appears like PlayStation 5 does not partition memory the way Xbox Series X does, and possibly sticks to the hUMA model of the PlayStation 4 (using a common pool of physical memory for system- and video memory).

Lastly, a large chunk of Sony's presentation focused on the next frontier for hardware innovation: positional audio. Sony is investing heavily on positional audio that takes into account the gamer's physical HRTF (head-related transfer function). The company is leveraging the vast amounts of CPU power gained from the upgrade to "Zen 2," to achieve this.

We still don't know what a PlayStation 5 console will look like.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Based on other reports. The memory is tied to a 256-bit bus.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Well, now we definitely know which console is going to be cheaper.

Sony decided to go with 36 RDNA2 compute units ticking at up to 2.23 GHz engine clock, compared to 52 compute units running at up to 1.825 GHz on the upcoming Xbox. Sony's GPU ends up with up to 10.3 TFLOPs max compute throughput, compared to Microsoft's 12 TFLOPs.
Well that should settle the debate about the upcoming "big Navi" cause it's gonna be a beast w/better IPC, clocks, more CU, hardware RT & who knows 3d audio?

ppn

Like a playstation4 pro on steroids, same core count. updated uArch. 3x faster.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Based on other reports. The memory is tied to a 256-bit bus.
And memory bandwidth is 448GB/s.

Well that should settle the debate about the upcoming "big Navi" cause it's gonna be a beast w/better IPC, clocks, more CU, hardware RT & who knows 3d audio?
I think the 3D audio is custom. There's a lot of custom hardware in the PS5, just like in the older ones.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Each PlayStation 5 ships with an 825 GB SSD

Which reaching speeds of 5,5GB/s without compression. Compressed up to 8 to 9GB/s.
To expand storage you can use regular m2-nvme-ssd's.

Also there's "3d Audio" support with the "Tempest Engine" which also works with a Stereo setup.
(Which is similar to the Synergistic Processor Unit used in the Sony in de PlayStation 3)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

You can scratch 3D audio. On windows it is a pain in the arse. I predicted tad HW audio will come back because of VR and low latency needs, but current state of core windows kernel and PC architecture does not allow that. It really needs a custom design and tailored code not jack of all trades that runs of anything. Tough topic tbh.

Looks like PS5 has more tailored things, especially the GPU cache coherency managers. And it will end up much cooler too imho.

I think the 3D audio is custom. There's a lot of custom hardware in the PS5, just like in the older ones.
I know I'm just hoping they bring something like TrueAudio back.

It really needs a custom design and tailored code not jack of all trades that runs of anything. Tough topic tbh.
Yes a dedicated DSP would be nice, just like their previous solution.

All in all, both the PS5 and Series X seem to be within ~10% of each other.

Xbox has more brute force power, PS5 has faster base speeds and throughput.

Xbox will eke out a few more FPS for the games that demand pure FPS and possibly at higher resolutions. Sony instead offers seamless transition and more dynamic movement; going by how much they've hyped their storage setup and their earlier Spiderman demo (and previous discussion on how character movements were limited by the read speeds of SSDs/HDDs).

The caveat though is that the Xbox seems redundant now that they're sharing releases with PC and thus is going for more of an all-in-one media center with their new Xbox (still a gaming powerhouse, but nevertheless overshadowed by parallel/near-parallel releases with PC), whereas Sony still gets some exclusives and still presents a gaming-first mindset. The ideal combo is looking to be PC + PS5. PC for all the new games releasing alongside Series X on top of an existing Steam/GoG/etc library, and PS5 for exclusives + media center functionality.

Now if only Sony would just release a PSP/Vita successor using AMD's APUs or embedded architecture and offer that seamless transition between on-the-go and at-home-gaming (start a game on one, pick up where you left off on the other, etc).

I highly doubt that these 2.23Ghz maximum boost on the GPU will last for a long time, with the inherent cooling limitations that consoles have.

It gives the impression that it was stretched at the last minute, just to reach the double digit 10TF and not feel much weaker than the Xbox Series X.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
I highly doubt that these 2.23Ghz maximum boost on the GPU will last for a long time, with the inherent cooling limitations that consoles have.

It gives the impression that it was stretched at the last minute, just to reach the double digit 10TF and not feel much weaker than the Xbox Series X.
Cerny said the variable frequency is based on workload, not thermal headroom. Cooling will be unveiled when they do the teardown.

Also, this presentation was recorded before XSX announcement, Eurogamer, for example, saw it a couple of days ago, so a last minute bump in frequency is very unlikely. He said "we" would be happy with their cooling solution though. Whatever that's worth.

System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit
series x is my choice

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Same, yet so different. It's strange that Sony has put so much importance on storage and the SSD, while having what appears to be a much weaker GPU, compared to Microsoft. I guess it's possible that Sony's API (Vulcan?) is more efficient than DirectX, so they don't need as much raw GPU power?
Not a console gamer, but the hardware is intriguing none the less. We've gone from fairly fixed usage devices to what can only be described as one high-end-ish PC running Windows and another running Linux.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I am very curious how much this will be priced at.

With how much power is being proclaimed by Microsoft and Sony regarding their GPU's and CPU's, its hard to imagine they can release this at even a reasonable price. But if RDNA2 is that good, then I am glad I am hanging onto my GTX 1070 till those GPU's come out.

I guess it's possible that Sony's API (Vulcan?) is more efficient than DirectX, so they don't need as much raw GPU power?
Linux itself is much better with multiple cores than Windows, if MS hasn't heavily tweaked the XB series X scheduler then they'll be wasting a lot of zen2 power.

Good times for console industry. I never bought a PS but seriously considering my stand on it for PS5.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Same, yet so different. It's strange that Sony has put so much importance on storage and the SSD, while having what appears to be a much weaker GPU, compared to Microsoft. I guess it's possible that Sony's API (Vulcan?) is more efficient than DirectX, so they don't need as much raw GPU power?
Not a console gamer, but the hardware is intriguing none the less. We've gone from fairly fixed usage devices to what can only be described as one high-end-ish PC running Windows and another running Linux.

Cerny gave a simple explanation on why they went with fewer CUs at higher frequency as opposed to more CUs at a lower frequency. Quoting Eurogamer, quoting Cerny:

Not wishing to draw comparisons with any existing hardware past, present or future, Cerny presents an intriguing hypothetical scenario - a 36 CU graphics core running at 1GHz up against a notional 48 CU part running at 750MHz. Both deliver 4.6TF of compute performance, but Cerny says that the gaming experience would not be the same.

"Performance is noticeably different, because 'teraflops' is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU. That's just one part of the GPU, there are a lot of other units - and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher. At 33 per cent higher frequency, rasterisation goes 33 per cent faster, processing the command buffer goes that much faster, the L1 and L2 caches have that much higher bandwidth, and so on," Cerny explains in his presentation.

"About the only downside is that system memory is 33 per cent further away in terms of cycles, but the large number of benefits more than counterbalance that. As a friend of mine says, a rising tide lifts all boats," explains Cerny. "Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs - when triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."

Sony's pitch is essentially this: a smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5's graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn't accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU. Developers work to the power limits of the SoC, their workloads affecting frequencies on the fly - but it's those factors that impact the clock speeds, not ambient temperatures.

Price might've been a factor as well, dunno.

ppn

Im waiting for the Pro version of it. having this main IO chip on 12nm, and separate GPU CPU, means that whenever 5nm shrink of is available sony will integrate it very quickly. XSX can't do that, it is stuck on 7nm.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Im waiting for the Pro version of it. having this main IO chip on 12nm, and separate GPU CPU, means that whenever 5nm shrink of is available sony will integrate it very quickly. XSX can't do that, it is stuck on 7nm.
I sincerely hope there are no other versions this time around. The Pro versions sole reason for existing was the mass adoption of 4K TVs. I don't see 8K becoming mainstream in the next 5-7 years. Hopefully.

Not counting the usual "slim" versions, of course.

Sony may be playing the price card as it did with PS4. If they wanted something more powerful, they would also have it, they have access to the same AMD capabilities that Microsoft has.

Anyway, it is far from being a weak console, 10TF GPU, together with a CPU that makes Jaguar look like from last century, plus super fast SSD, will give a fantastic experience.

With these specs, I start to think that they are probably aiming for $399. And at this price, I have no doubt that it will be a success. I don't see the Xbox Series X being sold for less than $500~$550.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
399 again would be sweet. But there was that rumor a while ago saying they were having trouble keeping costs under $450, I think it was. Given the custom hardware they're putting on it, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Then again, Sony has sold consoles at a loss before.

I know I'm just hoping they bring something like TrueAudio back.

Yes a dedicated DSP would be nice, just like their previous solution.
I'd like to see that too. The general attitude toward audio in games would need to change. When TA was announced there were a number of articles along the lines of "do we need this".

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity OC + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
Xbox series X is the clear Winner... 10.3 TFLOPs max compute throughput, compared to Microsoft's 12 TFLOPs , Also Xbox software tends to use the headwear better then sony we have seen in in old 360 where sony had better hardware but yet 360 ran games smother and now we have both on the NEW Xbox better hardware and combine it with better software = super smooth game play.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro

Slightly disappointed after the X reveal but considering Sony is more likely to target this hardware as a base I still think Sony first party games may be more impressive.... It will be interesting to see what general consumers do now that basically all multiplayer games are crossplay if the X hits higher framerates or higher resolution it may sway people torwards it.