• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop throttling at 55C

rsslayer56

Hello,

a few months back my laptop began thermal throttling while playing games. I had managed to find some ThrottleStop settings that had a game run at let's say.. 20ms CPU as compared with at 6-10ms half the time then jumping to 60-100ms for the other half. Unfortunately, I have lost these settings and when trying to replicate them the best I can, I either get a constant 60-70ms or jumps from 1x to 10x my lowest ms.

Also, everything non Throttlestop related hasn't changed and it only occured with a change in the settings.
7b5bd5099c76ffe80d9f1c8d4a0131ce.png

CPU: i3-7100U @ 2.4GHz

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
you may want to clean your fans and vent grills. maybe some background process running as well

rsslayer56

you may want to clean your fans and vent grills. maybe some background process running as well
No extra background process etc, and it only occured after I had lost my throttlestop settings. I'm pretty lost for what to do

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@rsslayer56 - Why not post some more screenshots so I can see how you have ThrottleStop set up?

Have you enabled the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? That can help the performance of some low power U series CPUs. Download the RwDrv.zip file from Mega. Unzip that file, copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder, and then check this option in the FIVR window.

For maximum performance, on the main screen, change the Speed Shift EPP value from 128 to 0. And yes, you can change that value.

In the Options window, check "Add Limit Reasons to Log File". On the main ThrottleStop screen, check the Log File option and then go play a game for 15 minutes or so. When finished, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. Your log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date on it. Upload that log file somewhere or attach it to your next post so I can have a look. That combined with some screenshots will help me make some suggestions.

rsslayer56

@rsslayer56 - Why not post some more screenshots so I can see how you have ThrottleStop set up?

Have you enabled the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? That can help the performance of some low power U series CPUs. Download the RwDrv.zip file from Mega. Unzip that file, copy the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder, and then check this option in the FIVR window.

For maximum performance, on the main screen, change the Speed Shift EPP value from 128 to 0. And yes, you can change that value.

In the Options window, check "Add Limit Reasons to Log File". On the main ThrottleStop screen, check the Log File option and then go play a game for 15 minutes or so. When finished, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. Your log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date on it. Upload that log file somewhere or attach it to your next post so I can have a look. That combined with some screenshots will help me make some suggestions.
Thank you for your assistance, I have done as you recommended and there are only some smaller spikes every so often. I'll give you some more details just in case you can pick out anything else.
PL 2 in Limit Reasons is flashing red every few seconds.
I have not changed anything in FIVR other than the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 3.png
    3.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1.png
    1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.png
    3.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2020-03-19.txt
    86.9 KB · Views: 115

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Clean it properly to control temps

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Blowing the dust bunnies out of a laptop is always a good place to start.

The log file shows lots of PL1 throttling even though power consumption is only at 4 Watts. I was wondering why this was happening but then I had a look at your settings in the TPL window. You have set the long and short turbo power limits to 4 Watts. That is why your CPU is being limited to 4 Watts and why it is running like a slug. Default settings are 15 for the long power max and usually 25 for the short power max. Do not check the Clamp option and set the turbo time limit back to the default 28 seconds.

Not sure if this will cure all of your problems but it has got to help. Remember to change the Speed Shift EPP value on the main screen of ThrottleStop from 128 to 0.

Also check the Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts option. Run another log file with all of these fixes.