• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Microsoft DirectX 12 Ultimate: Why it Helps Gamers Pick Future Proof Graphics Cards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft Thursday released the DirectX 12 Ultimate logo. This is not a new API with any new features, but rather a differentiator for graphics cards and game consoles that support four key modern features of DirectX 12. This helps consumers recognize the newer and upcoming GPUs, and tell them apart from some older DirectX 12 capable GPUs that were released in the mid-2010s. For a GPU to be eligible for the DirectX 12 Ultimate logo, it must feature hardware acceleration for ray-tracing with the DXR API; must support Mesh Shaders, Variable Rate Shading (VRS), and Sampler Feedback (all of the four). The upcoming Xbox Series X console features this logo by default. Microsoft made it absolutely clear that the DirectX 12 Ultimate logo isn't meant as a compatibility barrier, and that these games will work on older hardware, too.

As it stands, the "Navi"-based Radeon RX 5000 series are "obsolete", just like some Turing cards from the GeForce GTX 16-series. At this time, the only shipping product which features the logo is NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 20-series and the TITAN RTX, as they support all the above features.

Microsoft's announcement of the logo invited quick reactions from NVIDIA and AMD. NVIDIA has reason to gloat that its circa Q3-2018 GeForce RTX 20-series are already DirectX 12 Ultimate logo certified, and gloat it did. AMD, on the other hand, was left to content with the fact that Xbox Series X has this logo, as its upcoming RDNA2 graphics architecture powers the console's GPU; and an assurance that its next-generation of Radeon RX graphics cards will feature the logo. Intel posted no reaction to this development, since none of its current iGPUs cut the requirements. Gen11 "Ice Lake" supports VRS tier-1, something RDNA doesn't. It's been rumored that the company's larger Xe discrete GPUs (those with two-figure TFLOPs), could implement DXR-compliant ray-tracing.

In our opinion, the introduction of the DirectX 12 Ultimate logo will spark a sense of urgency within AMD's ranks to launch next-gen Radeon RX graphics cards based on the RDNA2 architecture. It will also give Microsoft a vehicle that lets them fight the Sony Playstation 5 hardware capabilities. Perhaps with this logo, Microsoft is trying to communicate that its Xbox Series X console is as capable as PCs with GeForce RTX 20-series graphics cards (which is very much qualified, if you look at the console's hardware specs sheet).

NVIDIA has had raytracing for over a year, with mixed success in terms of adoption rates and how willing gamers were to pay for it. Still, right now, in people's minds, NVIDIA is the raytracing company — the only one. While Microsoft could admit "we've joined the raytracing party, two years later", they innovated their way out of this by creating a new certification that they could announce themselves, to bring parity back to mindsets of gamers. Remember, there's still quite some time before the new consoles release — plenty of time for marketing to work its magic.

Back when DirectX 12 was launched, Microsoft announced that it would be the "last DirectX" — a decision which has been effectively reverted now, because the company has realized the marketing value of new names, badges and stickers. Now of course this will simplify things for gamers that are not hardware experts. They can simply look for the DirectX 12 Ultimate Badge and know they will have what it takes to run the latest titles with all their features — whether that translates into playable framerates on the PC platform remains to be seen.

Microsoft's push for DirectX 12 should also nudge developers to embrace the DirectX 12 API. So far, DirectX 12 has seen very little adoption rate from game developers, with the vast majority of titles using DirectX 11, which is much simpler to develop for, too. Maybe we'll even see the DirectX 12 Ultimate Logo associated with games — to highlight that a game uses the four magical features, and will thus deliver next-gen graphics. The dark horse in consumer graphics is the Vulkan API by Khronos Group. There are plenty of AAA games that provide next-gen eye-candy with this API. It's supported across multiple PC operating systems, and is implemented alongside OpenGL in PlayStation 5. It also has a full-fleged ray-tracing feature-set. Microsoft could also be targeting Vulkan's growing popularity.

Variable Rate Shading is one of the key ingredients for next-gen consoles being able offer smooth 4K gaming. Consoles set the technological minimums for game developers, and it would pay to have a graphics card that's at least aligned with an Xbox Series X in terms of features, if not performance.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Perhaps with this logo, Microsoft is trying to communicate that its Xbox Series X console is as capable as PCs with GeForce RTX 20-series graphics cards (which is very much qualified, if you look at the console's hardware specs sheet).

I'm not familiar with the existing Xbox or PS4. Does anyone know how long they can sustain the peak performance before throttling due to heat?

Last edited:
System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's a joke or?

A consumer product which perofrmance degrades over short time? Don't know if that is leagal in the us

NVIDIA has had raytracing for over a year, with mixed success in terms of adoption rates and how willing gamers were to pay for it
What now? Man are you sure it's mixed and not just a failed attempt? I haven't seen so much NVIDIA pandering like the one we see in these DX XII Ultimate posts in here from the days of the infamous post from TOM's "Just buy it".

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
DirectX 12 Ultimate logo certified, and gloat it did. AMD, on the other hand, was left to content
Outside of the poor grammar here... didnt amd gloat too?

What now? Man are you sure it's mixed and not just a failed attempt? I haven't seen so much NVIDIA pandering like the one we see in these DX XII Ultimate posts in here from the days of the infamous post from TOM's "Just buy it".
How do you feel it failed? While this isnt The Gospel, steam stats show more use Turing cards than navi...and more than most older cards too.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
btarunr, i 100% agree. And i find it legit to call this features combined, a next gen capability bundle, wich is needed to push all the industry. Also the synergies Microsoft mentioned, to bring new technics faster to the PC is crucial for a faster evolving industry.

Failed as raytracing adoption rates. I thing the post was about raytracing. But I get it why you failed to see that and you just saw it as an NVIDIA RTX advertisement.
I wouldnt call anything about it a "failure"... high price, sure. Failure, all signs point to no... which is why I linked steam survey... you quoted cost as well.

With AMD on board and using the ray tracing with RDNA2 (note amd implements it one gen later - youd think of this wasnt the direction of the future they wouldnt) and it going into consoles, even more momentum will start happening.

Dont penalize nvidia for being first at the table. ;)

Sorry people... those who said they would fail and RT isnt the way forward... here we are with amd joining the fun!

Last edited:
Yeah I am sure all those people in your STEAM academic survey with RTX cards bought them for their raytracing abilities, come one man don't act like you are so naive. Also check again all RTX critics they didn't say it will fail in the future they just said that it's failure in its first implementation.

D

Deleted member 67555

Everything I currently play has HDR or HDR and RT...I don't expect to lose those features going forward...
NVidia looks to be way ahead of AMD...I think NVidia is going to get my business again..
My problem right now is AMD's demo does not bode well for them....I think maybe that's why NVidia really delayed certain stuff...they knew

Yeah I am sure all those people in your STEAM academic survey with RTX cards bought them for their raytracing abilities, come one man don't act like you are so naive. Also check again all RTX critics they didn't say it will fail in the future they just said that it's failure in its first implementation.
lol....
Dont penalize nvidia for being first at the table. ;)

Failure....lol. Critics? Lol...It failed so hard that they sold more even with the higher price, and amd immediately jumped on that failing rt bandwagon with AAA titles on it and more coming monthly. Good call, all!

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Sorry people... those who said they would fail and RT isnt the way forward... here we are with amd joining the fun!

Correct and I concede that point entirely. But Turing however... even with this sticker, that will age rapidly for sure. The perf jump Ampere has to make now to even keep pace with XSX is going to make most of the Turing line up obsolete by raw performance alone and they also can't stick happily with the current % of die for RT, something's gotta give. I think if you've got anything under 2070S, you just can't miss out. Same goes for RDNA2 btw. Will be interesting to see price...

That is correct but it is only a failure if you thought Turing was the be-all end all for RT which it obviously isn't. And the fact that Nvidia invested early in a technology that is now growing and gaining broad adoption is not a failure... its a huge success for them. Despite the lackluster RT content. This DXIIU article is perfect proof of that. Nvidia is the only company capable of swinging RT dick. Even if its a micropenis at this time :D

Last edited:
Everything I currently play has HDR or HDR and RT...I don't expect to lose those features going forward...
NVidia looks to be way ahead of AMD...I think NVidia is going to get my business again..
My problem right now is AMD's demo does not bode well for them....I think maybe that's why NVidia really delayed certain stuff...they knew
Ampre isnt that ready yet in the first place. Nvidia hasn't seemingly delayed anything.
The perf jump Ampere has to make now to even keep pace with XSX is going to make most of the Turing line up obsolete by raw performance alone
You think? Considering its 4k60 target, RTX 2080 Super/2080 Ti already do that in many titles.

Surely Ampre will increase RT capabilities, no doubt. Turing was the first crack at an emerging technology... I'm not surprised at all that it is behind the new curve... who would be? I simply take exception to the point of that dude calling it a "failure". Clearly it isn't from almost any perspective. Price be damned, it sold! More RTX 2060s are on steam than the RX 580 which has been out for years.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
As it stands, the "Navi"-based Radeon RX 5000 series are "obsolete", just like some Turing cards from the GeForce GTX 16-series.
Pretty sure the RTX 26-series are "obsolete" too, based on their RT performance...

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
DX12.......my only experience with this was BL3 and it stunk. Playing with DX11 and good.

DX12.......my only experience with this was BL3 and it stunk. Playing with DX11 and good.
You should expand your horizons. In many cases, it works better than DX11 or Vulkan. It depends... but its the way to go, really.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I don't see the point. In a few years, only "Ultimate" GPUs will be available as the old architectures are pushed out of the market. There's no reason for Microsoft to create this branding.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
You should expand your horizons. In many cases, it works better than DX11 or Vulkan. It depends... but its the way to go, really.
Kids work life etc. I don’t even have 3 hours logged on it. Hopefully have 1 guy max level by next year. If time permits

Like all things DX its going to take until the next DX arrives for the previous version to be utilized by devs and who knows how long until its widely used.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Ray tracing is certainly going to be used as a selling point, just like AMD used their supposed "superiority" in DirectX 12 for years. But for gamers it will only start to really matter when there are games with significant advantages. (Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful feature, but the good software isn't there yet)

Basing purchases on "future proofing" have a terrible track record, whether it's regarding memory specs or fancy features. Even the best of us don't know which games we will be playing in three years, and even by then we will probably be planning our next purchases anyway. My advice remains to base purchases on relevant games today, add a little performance headroom, and look for a good deal, then stick with it until you're dissatisfied.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Bta showing massive bias again, no rtx2### card shipped with a DX 12 ulty sticker, they may add them now.
And no card is instantly Eol like he implied, it'll be two to three years before Raster only cards become old per say, Devs don't move that fast.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It's worth reading AnandTech's write up:

For Microsoft, the importance of DirectX 12 Ultimate is twofold. First, DirectX has accumulated a lot of new features since its last feature set, feature level 12_1, was defined over half a decade ago. So DirectX has been overdue to package up features introduced by things like NVIDIA’s Turing GPU architecture as well as AMD’s forthcoming RDNA2 architecture. The end result of that process is the new feature level 12_2, or as it’s being branded, DirectX 12 Ultimate.

And the fact is RTX Turing cards support all this stuff already.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Bta showing massive bias again, no rtx2### card shipped with a DX 12 ulty sticker, they may add them now.
And no card is instantly Eol like he implied, it'll be two to three years before Raster only cards become old per say, Devs don't move that fast.
I wrote Large parts of the editorial btw. Not sure where I implied they are eol. I don't doubt for a second, that if microsoft marketing works, people will look for cards with ultimate badge, very soon, even if other cards will run any game just fine - just like when dx12 came out amd people suddenly wanted to future proof, buying dx12 cards