• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Series Graphics Cards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As the world's most popular GAMING graphics card vendor, MSI is proud to announce its graphics card line-up based on the GeForce GTX 1650 GPU. The big change is that instead of GDDR5, these new models are fitted with faster GDDR6 memory modules, providing better performance than the original models. These new models will get the designation "D6" in their names to indicate the usage of faster memory. The GeForce GTX 1650 has been carefully architected to balance performance, power, and cost, and includes all of the new Turing Shader innovations that improve performance and efficiency.

Equipped with excellent thermal solutions, the MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 series is designed to provide higher core and memory clock speeds for increased performance in games. MSI's GAMING series delivers the top notch in-game and thermal performance that gamers have come to expect from MSI. With solid and sharp designs, GAMING and VENTUS XS provide a great balance with strong dual fan cooling and outstanding performance. The AERO ITX and Low Profile (LP) series are great options for gamers looking to include Turing power into a small form factor build. With this comprehensive line-up there is plenty of choice for any demand.

After winning numerous awards on the MSI RTX 20 series, the 7th generation of the iconic TWIN FROZR thermal design is tailored to cool the MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING series as well. Featuring two of MSI's patented TORX 3.0 fans, the unique fan design combines the advantages of two differently shaped fan blades to generate huge amounts of airflow. The new trims on the traditional fan blades create concentrated airflow for higher air pressure while also reducing noise. The customized heatsink is designed for efficient heat dissipation to keep the temperature low and performance high. An aggressive gunmetal grey & black look emphasizes the glorious glow of white LED into the card. Using the updated & improved MSI Dragon Center software, controlling and syncing your LED-lit components is easier than ever.

Dressed in a fashionable Black & Silver design with industrial style shapes, the MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS series is a smaller version of the popular VENTUS design. The new dual-fan thermal design provides more concentrated airflow and air pressure for enhanced cooling performance. Using a direct contact design, the heatsink transfers heat from the GPU quickly and efficiently.

The GeForce GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX models are small in size, but just as big in performance as their bigger brothers. The AERO ITX model utilizes a single high-performance fan on a compact heatsink featuring efficient heatpipes and optimized dissipation. All of this is covered by a very classy looking black and white shroud with some carbon details. Even in a small form factor, staying as silent as possible is important.

For people that are looking for the most compact version of MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 models, there is the Low Profile (LP) series. Featuring a dual fan thermal design for a stable environment with better dissipation. Its smaller size is suitable for mini systems and specific low profile chassis. Included in the box are two sizes of brackets for users to choose from.

MSI Afterburner is the world's most recognized and widely used graphics card Overclocking software. It gives you full control of your graphics card and enables you to monitor your system's key metrics in real-time. Afterburner gives you a free performance boost for a smooth in-game experience thanks to higher FPS.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
yup...just what we need, even MOAR sku's with the same name AND an amount of VRAM that nobody in their right mind would buy nowadays..... wTh ?????

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
A low-profile version in the launch? Damn MSI, did not see that coming. :toast:

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
If you absolutely need some performance without a 6 pin connector..Okay.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If you absolutely need some performance without a 6 pin connector..Okay.
Except for the Gaming X which does have a 6 pin connector.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
These stupid super mega hyper ultra OC models kills the idea of these cards. Just like GTX 750 Ti, GTX 1050 and 1650 (both GDDR5 and 6 variants) when the whole idea of the card is to be without a power connector.

These stupid super mega hyper ultra OC models kills the idea of these cards. Just like GTX 750 Ti, GTX 1050 and 1650 (both GDDR5 and 6 variants) when the whole idea of the card is to be without a power connector.
"Whole idea"?
This is the cheapest option in the latest lineup. So it will be bought by people who have the extra 6pin cable as well.

We also have cards with the connector. This phenomenon is called "choice".
yup...just what we need, even MOAR sku's with the same name AND an amount of VRAM that nobody in their right mind would buy nowadays..... wTh ?????
Obviously, these are among best selling cards. People just want to game. They buy the cheapest card that lets them. Some can't afford anything more expensive. Some just don't care.

Yes, I know you don't understand this.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
"Whole idea"?
This is the cheapest option in the latest lineup. So it will be bought by people who have the extra 6pin cable as well.

Obviously, these are among best selling cards. People just want to game. They buy the cheapest card that lets them. Some can't afford anything more expensive. Some just don't care.

Yes, I know you don't understand this.

I do, and absolutely agree. You don't need TBs of vRAM to play on and under 1080p.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, YES, I do understand the budget-minded sector of our community, as I am NOT exceedingly wealthy, and am all for getting great parts at great prices...

Having said that, I also understand that there comes a time in every tech timeline when buying parts with older/outdated specs makes NO sense in terms of their overall contributions to the current and/or future performance possibilities of your machine, and making cards with 4GB of DDR6 is only going to offer a very mild performance improvement....

But my other point was that there is simply ZERO need to introduce even more confusion in the marketplace by re-releasing cards with the same exact name but with only 1 minor change..... why couldn't they have just called them "1655".

We've been down this road many times before and it never ends well for anyone :(

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
"Whole idea"?

When it's a 75W TDP, why have a power connector? Looks cooler?

Back in the day, 750 Ti's with a power connector didn't OC any better than those ones with a connector.

Back in the day, 750 Ti's with a power connector didn't OC any better than those ones with a connector.

Sometimes, for some load reasons, there are those that prefer to have the power consumption off a connector than off the board itself

Well 1650 does OC better when they have power connector(1650 is power limited card):
1586032995650.png

But yeah 1650S is 10 bucks more and is way much superior than these in every way expect power consumption. So only reason for this card still to exist is no power connector users.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes

I have the GTX-1080Ti version of the Gaming-X. It's a great GPU.
I also had an MSI GTX-1660Ti Gaming-X GPU, but I screwed up and sold it. :banghead:

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well 1650 does OC better when they have power connector(1650 is power limited card):
View attachment 150384

But yeah 1650S is 10 bucks more and is way much superior than these in every way expect power consumption. So only reason for this card still to exist is no power connector users.
Yeah, but usually cards like this are put into those old Optiplex etc. old leasing office PCs to make a lightweight cheap gaming PC, and I doubt that those have a PCIe connector, SFF versions even less likely, so it's good that MSI released also a low-profile version, and not 1yr after the initial release with a price premium..

I doubt that the lesser overclockability with those older i5s etc that's going to be a major problem if it results few FPS less than a card with a connector.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
You dont need 8GB of VRAM for something as slow as a 1650. I have a 4GB RX 560 in the media PC, and the 4GB RAM limit is not a problem if you are shooting for 1080p60. Or 1080p30 even. Most modern games have to run at 768p or 720p to hit 60 FPS, and you REALLY dont even need 4GB to do that.

The 1650 isnt that much faster. Even with GDDR6 speeds, which provide a noticeable performance bump percentage wise, 4GB is still not going to be the limiting factor with these cards.

Yeah, but usually cards like this are put into those old Optiplex etc. old leasing office PCs to make a lightweight cheap gaming PC, and I doubt that those have a PCIe connector, SFF versions even less likely, so it's good that MSI released also a low-profile version, and not 1yr after the initial release with a price premium..

I doubt that the lesser overclockability with those older i5s etc that's going to be a major problem if it results few FPS less than a card with a connector.
Yeah, thank MSI for releasing these LP cards. They are the only brand that reliably puts these out every gen. My RX560 is the MSI version, the only AIB version made, and MSI also made the best 750ti LP card.