• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces new Widgets for Xbox Game Bar on PC

As part of the Inside Xbox event which was held yesterday, Microsoft revealed the addition of several new third party widgets for the Xbox Game Bar from the likes of Razer, XSplit and Intel. Several more companies are also in talks with Microsoft to add apps to Xbox Game Bar, this follows the successful release of a Spotify integration earlier.

Since we introduced Xbox Game Bar, we've continually evolved it in partnership with you: our community. From simple video capture, to quick access to audio settings, to seamless listening with Spotify, to providing an FPS counter, we've kept PC Gamers at the center of everything we do. This philosophy is the driving force behind the updates we're announcing today.

Evolving Xbox Game Bar

We heard your feedback loud and clear: you don't always want to Alt+Tab to separate apps when gaming on your PC. We thought we'd bring your favorite apps to you right within the Xbox Game Bar where you can access them without ever leaving your game. Starting today, widgets for apps such as XSplit's Gamecaster and Razer's Cortex are coming to Xbox Game Bar! We've seen incredible interest from key leaders in the PC gaming ecosystem and we expect the number of widgets to continue to grow. If you haven't already, you can join our Insider program here or join the Game Bar flight in the Xbox Insider Hub to get access right away. If you aren't an Insider - no worries, you can get them in the near future. As a reminder, you can access these new features by pressing the Windows key and the "G" key at the same time - "Win+G".

Find, Install, and Manage Widgets from the Widget Store

To start with, you need a way to discover and start using your new favorite Game Bar widgets. Enter, the Game Bar Widget Store. In the Game Bar menu, you'll now see a new entry that will launch the Widget Store right in the Game Bar. From here you can browse and discover new widgets and manage installing and updating your widgets without ever needing to leave the Game Bar.

Stream Like a Pro with XSplit's GameCaster Widget

XSplit's popular Gamecaster streaming app now includes an Xbox Game Bar widget. XSplit's integration with Game Bar provides access to critical Gamecaster tools without having to tab between apps or leave your gaming session. Start and stop your broadcast, interact with chat, check out recent events and stats to help increase viewer interaction, and optimize encoding settings to ensure the highest quality stream - all from the Gamecaster widget. The widget is fully customizable, so you can expand the features important to you and even pin those you want to persist on screen during gameplay. Visit XSplit to download the full Gamecaster app with the Xbox Game Bar widget pre-bundled, or if you're already a Gamecaster user, you can visit the Microsoft Store (or the widget store in Game Bar) to download and enable the Gamecaster widget for Xbox Game Bar.

Optimize Your Gaming with Razer Cortex and Razer Gold

Another popular app among PC gamers is the Razer Cortex with System Booster. Also available today, you can download the Razer Cortex BETA widget for easy access to key Cortex features like Boost and Restore. With just one step, end unnecessary processes and services running in the background to free up more juice for gaming. The Razer Cortex BETA widget also makes it easy to check on the latest and upcoming Paid to Play games to get you earning Razer Silver. Check in daily, play, and redeem Razer Silver for a variety of exciting rewards - including Razer gear, games, exclusive gift cards, and more - right from the widget. The widget's Game Deals feature also automatically searches for the best prices for PC games. Click on a game deal to see a comparison across PC game stores. To learn more, head to Razer's website for the Razer Cortex win32 app and look for the Razer Cortex BETA widget in the Microsoft Store or Game Bar widget store.

You can also enable the new Razer Gold widget: enjoy convenience as you reload your Razer Gold wallet with Razer Gold PINs, even during a game. Razer Gold is the virtual credits by Razer for gamers, offering exclusive game deals and digital content. Spend Razer Gold and earn Razer Silver, the loyalty rewards program for gamers. Look for the Razer Gold widget in the Microsoft Store or the Game Bar widget store.

Tune Your PC with Intel's Graphics Command Center

We're partnering with Intel to bring some of the key features available in the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC) to the Xbox Game Bar. The widget, which will become available via the IGCC beta program later this spring, will initially provide access to display settings, power profiles, and game streaming and capture features. But as both IGCC and Xbox Game Bar evolve, so will the widget's features.

Anyone Can Get Started Building Widgets Today

In addition to these great partner widgets, we're also releasing the Game Bar SDK (Beta) today. Any developer can now build custom widgets for Game Bar. Learn more about how to get started building your own widgets today.

As always, thank you for the continued feedback about the gaming experience on Windows. It is your feedback that enables us to continue making Windows great for all gamers regardless of how and what you choose to play, so please keep it coming. If you are interested in getting first access to the work we're doing on improving the PC gaming experience, you can join our Insider program here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No just no MS.

How many times do you need to hear it? Your help is not needed. Just develop the API called DirectX and stick to keeping Windows the open playground it should be.

And if it makes you feel better, plaster that hideous Xbox logo over everything, I could care less.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
What I find hilarious is that MS has come full circle. After promoting widgets years ago on PC and promoting people to make widgets (remember W7?), they canned the whole program. And here they are doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
If anything, it's a nice built-in screen recorder when I don't feel like downloading more software

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Only time I've used gamebar was when I wanted to record external webex meetings at work.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
What I fond hilarious is that MS has come full circle. After promoting widgets years ago on PC and promoting people to make widgets (remember W7?), they canned the whole program. And here we are nearly full circle. :rolleyes:

Start making your bets over how long this will last, then :laugh:

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
The only thing I find useful for the Gamebar is the system resource widget that I can pin above everything. Other than that, dont need it.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
What I fond hilarious is that MS has come full circle. After promoting widgets years ago on PC and promoting people to make widgets (remember W7?), they canned the whole program. And here we are nearly full circle. :rolleyes:

Its a bit like fashion, I heard in 2023 they will relaunch Kinect, bundling it with the next version of the Windows OS, Windows 11. Which will once more be updated via service packs and with full inhouse testing procedures. This will coincide with DirectX 12C, which introduces new feature levels making DirectX Ultimate obsolete.

I also heard Games for Windows is making a comeback around that time.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
What I find hilarious is that MS has come full circle. After promoting widgets years ago on PC and promoting people to make widgets (remember W7?), they canned the whole program. And here we are nearly full circle. :rolleyes:
The program was canned because it made the system vulnerable : https://www.zdnet.com/article/security-flaws-signal-early-death-of-windows-gadgets/
I guess that they found a work around this time.

I personally don't mind, the spotify integration is great for the people who don't always listen to BGM, you don't have to alt tab anymore. And the integrated video recording is nice for the people who just want to record a video once in a while, where obs is overkill. (supporting gpu encoding would be nice though).

Some of the widget are not perfect yet (looking at the performance one who could display gpu usage and temp) but I'm all for having to install less third party apps, and doing less alt tabbing. Useless for power users, but nice for people who don't need all the features from full apps.

I'm the type that got annoyed when switching from AMD to Nvidia forced me to use after burner/precision just for tinkering with the fan curve.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
No just no MS.

How many times do you need to hear it? Your help is not needed. Just develop the API called DirectX and stick to keeping Windows the open playground it should be.

And if it makes you feel better, plaster that hideous Xbox logo over everything, I could care less.
IMO this is rather the complete opposite of what you're saying, and very much in line with Windows being an open playground. After all, a somewhat open, extensible overlay like this is much better than the closed and proprietary overlays of all the others. If this could grow into a centralized framework (obviously with limited gatekeeping to ensure openness) for gaming overlays, that would be great. Also, the Game Bar overlay arguably has a lot more immediately useful features than a lot of alternatives - quick access to volume controls (including per application), streaming and recording controls, performance monitoring, music controls, etc.
The only thing I find useful for the Gamebar is the system resource widget that I can pin above everything. Other than that, dont need it.
You've never needed to adjust your volume while using a controller or mute an annoying background app while gaming then, or play/pause music? Much faster and easier than alt+tabbing out.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I have a volume wheel on my keyboard and I play wow so it's already in full screen windowed mode so it is literally 0 hassle for me to alt tab out.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
IMO this is rather the complete opposite of what you're saying, and very much in line with Windows being an open playground. After all, a somewhat open, extensible overlay like this is much better than the closed and proprietary overlays of all the others. If this could grow into a centralized framework (obviously with limited gatekeeping to ensure openness) for gaming overlays, that would be great. Also, the Game Bar overlay arguably has a lot more immediately useful features than a lot of alternatives - quick access to volume controls (including per application), streaming and recording controls, performance monitoring, music controls, etc.

You've never needed to adjust your volume while using a controller or mute an annoying background app while gaming then, or play/pause music? Much faster and easier than alt+tabbing out.

No, no no. Its really not.

Windows is an OS. Like a painter has a canvas, the OS should offer freedom. A universal overlay is not freedom. Its a piece of crap I want to get rid of, because I want that empty canvas.

In a general sense, yes. I get what you are saying. Its better if services are offered natively from the OS than when everyone starts inventing their own wheel. True. But that is not what this really is, is it. This overlay offers me buttons I really don't need unless the developer intended me to have them. Example? GTA V radio stations. Social media integration (this is also youtube/streaming nowadays). This is a per-game thing. No, I don't need in-game overlays for multimedia buttons. WTF? I'm playing a game. Not multimedia. Nor a half dozen other activities that have zero to do with the content itself.

Its like the Netflix button on your remote. Dafuq is up with that. GTFO. Just let me use the damn TV and make sure all of its functions work proper. More often than not its also not really a convenience for YOU, its a convenience for driving sales in some way or another. The Netflix button is typical of that. Every half decent smart TV has a configurable start menu and its easy to navigate there, often more intuitively than on your remote. The Netflix logo is right there in front of your face, ready to click when moused over...

That is my Windows / MS approach here. I also run my OS as bare as possible. If I don't actively use something, its right out the door. And even then you're dealing with infinite amounts of bloat. Look at how Windows 10 self installs... most of the time you get a handful of shitty apps along with it you'd otherwise never use and even manual uninstall isn't always possible.

Less is more. That is the message.

And BTW. About alt tabbing out... It was MS itself that pushed Borderless Window onto us with Windows 10... making it easier than ever to navigate between games and anything else. So really, that overlay is already there, its called the desktop and its more mature than this silly bar will ever be. To me it speaks a little bit of the same shaken design philosophy as the original Metro UI, trying to marry tablet into a desktop OS. Now MS is trying to make a PC more console-ey. I ain't got time for that :)

Last edited:

VrOtk

Awesome! Now even more bloatware, that I'll be disabling through registry...

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro

Windows is an OS. Like a painter has a canvas, the OS should offer freedom. A universal overlay is not freedom. Its a piece of crap I want to get rid of, because I want that empty canvas.

In a general sense, yes. I get what you are saying. Its better if services are offered natively from the OS than when everyone starts inventing their own wheel. True. But that is not what this really is, is it. This overlay offers me buttons I really don't need unless the developer intended me to have them. Example? GTA V radio stations. Social media integration (this is also youtube/streaming nowadays). This is a per-game thing. No, I don't need in-game overlays for multimedia buttons. WTF? I'm playing a game. Not multimedia. Nor a half dozen other activities that have zero to do with the content itself.

Its like the Netflix button on your remote. Dafuq is up with that. GTFO. Just let me use the damn TV and make sure all of its functions work proper. More often than not its also not really a convenience for YOU, its a convenience for driving sales in some way or another. The Netflix button is typical of that. Every half decent smart TV has a configurable start menu and its easy to navigate there, often more intuitively than on your remote. The Netflix logo is right there in front of your face, ready to click when moused over...

That is my Windows / MS approach here. I also run my OS as bare as possible. If I don't actively use something, its right out the door. And even then you're dealing with infinite amounts of bloat. Look at how Windows 10 self installs... most of the time you get a handful of shitty apps along with it you'd otherwise never use and even manual uninstall isn't always possible.

You are talking about it as if microsoft is actively forcing you to use it, when you can just ignore it. You literally get a gui option to disable it, and never get bothered by it in game, even the hotkeys associated with it are disabled. For the multimedia part, I had several game session with friends where we played games like raft,astroneer and just listened a musical bot on discord instead of the game bgm. Those games don't rely on deep immersion with the world. Heck, even the ps4 allows you to listen to spotify while gaming.

While I do agree that microsoft bundling candy crush for $$ is annoying, I feel like microsoft is just still trying to get even with MacOs where the os build in apps are one of the elements that people mention whenever they talk about the areas where windows lose to MacOs.
You seems to want microsoft to develop windows like debian/arch linux, when microsoft is constantly looking at the MacOs ecosystem while thinking "I want, I want, I want"...

They are just kinda bad at it because they tend to overlook optimisation/consistency and are obssesed with features: they keep adding things when the thing that they added last month (or years) is still broken...Win developement just need more rigor, sometimes even the stable release looks like an experimentation ground. It's 2020, and win 10 design language is still schizophrenic.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You are talking about it as if microsoft is actively forcing you to use it, when you can just ignore it. You literally get a gui option to disable it, and never get bothered by it in game, even the hotkeys associated with it are disabled. For the multimedia part, I had several game session with friends where we played games like raft,astroneer and just listened a musical bot on discord instead of the game bgm. Those games don't rely on deep immersion with the world. Heck, even the ps4 allows you to listen to spotify while gaming.

While I do agree that microsoft bundling candy crush for $$ is annoying, I feel like microsoft is just still trying to get even with MacOs where the os build in apps are one of the elements that people mention whenever they talk about the areas where windows lose to MacOs.
You seems to want microsoft to develop windows like debian/arch linux, when microsoft is constantly looking at the MacOs ecosystem while thinking "I want, I want, I want"...

They are just kinda bad at it because they tend to overlook optimisation/consistency and are obssesed with features: they keep adding things when the thing that they added last month (or years) is still broken...Win developement just need more rigor, sometimes even the stable release looks like an experimentation ground. It's 2020, and win 10 design language is still schizophrenic.

And that is a good thing. But its still bloat.

And you're right, I think we're seeing the same trend here. Windows is becoming more consumer oriented over time, and part of this is positive, because really its a machine meant to do 'things' for you. But its also a threat because as you know, macOS isn't really quite the empty canvas you'd want. Features can turn into 'necessities' and those are being marketed. The core feature of Windows, for me, is the fact I can run pretty much anything I want on it, in the exact way I want it to. And most of those things benefit from keeping things simple.

"Also available today, you can download the Razer Cortex BETA widget for easy access to key Cortex features like Boost and Restore. With just one step, end unnecessary processes and services running in the background to free up more juice for gaming." They can start by disabling Xbox Game Bar...

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE
Software W11Pro
They should just offer a way to delete this software without having to go into the registry or something.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
With just one step, end unnecessary processes and services running in the background to free up more juice for gaming.

I really want to know how do they decide what's an unnecessary process/service...

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro

And BTW. About alt tabbing out... It was MS itself that pushed Borderless Window onto us with Windows 10... making it easier than ever to navigate between games and anything else. So really, that overlay is already there, its called the desktop and its more mature than this silly bar will ever be. To me it speaks a little bit of the same shaken design philosophy as the original Metro UI, trying to marry tablet into a desktop OS. Now MS is trying to make a PC more console-ey. I ain't got time for that :)
I don't think we fundamentally disagree, but we do seem to disagree on the specifics here. I agree that the OS should be like a canvas - but to further the metaphor I also think it needs to provide both a basic selection of paints, brushes, palette knives and other tools. Being given a blank canvas and nothing else otherwise only helps those who otherwise either already own everything else, or have easy access to it. Windows has been a consumer OS for near two decades, but consumer uses are evolving, and the OS needs to follow suit. Or to completely grind this metaphor into the ground, we need it to provide multiple different types of canvases as well, as new types of paint and painting tools as new types of painting are invented - you don't use the same type of canvas for watercolors as you do for oil paints, etc.

This also ties into how PC use is diversifying. We have more input methods than ever before, in more form factors than ever before, PCs are used for more things than ever before, performance is higher than ever before. The OS needs to account for all of that. Sure, 3rd party solutions are always possible - but in 99% of cases they are either janky and poorly made, poorly optimized, buggy, or just not universal enough to do what they are supposed to do (unless, of course, they are standalone applications - but that's not what we're talking about here). They also generally gel poorly with the overall design of the OS, which makes for poor user experiences (the visual design of the Steam overlay is atrocious and looks like it was made in the mid 2000s). Realistically, the best case scenario for a 3rd party system interface tool (like a gaming overlay) is that it works as it should but is entirely closed off to outside developers. Is that actually better than a well-integrated, universal, expandable, adaptable 1st party solution? I would say no.

I would actually say that the wealth of input methods and modes of using a PC is the strongest argument for first-party implementations of new solutions, simply because first party development tends to have a much broader scope and tends towards making better use of new input paradigms (partly due to having more resources for development and not being as strictly bound to direct profitability of new software development). PC gaming with a controller is very common these days, and the Steam overlay is utterly useless for that (and don't get me started on Big Picture mode...). The same goes for adapting new software solutions to things like touchscreen input - while this isn't very relevant for gaming, it applies to a lot of other useful software. Expecting universally usable 3rd party solutions for this to appear is essentially utopian - for it to be good it needs to be developed by a big and experienced team, which means it won't be free (unless it's developed by volunteers and open-sourced, which generally means decade-long development cycles), which means it will never get across the threshold of adoption necessary to ensure proper integration with necessary applications and utilities. We've seen this hundreds of times. So, while I agree that it would be better for everything like this to be open-source, free, optional for those who don't want it, etc., I don't see it as even remotely possible. And the current reality is a system made up of a series of walled gardens with near-zero interaction. What MS is doing is a definite improvement over that.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I don't think we fundamentally disagree, but we do seem to disagree on the specifics here. I agree that the OS should be like a canvas - but to further the metaphor I also think it needs to provide both a basic selection of paints, brushes, palette knives and other tools. Being given a blank canvas and nothing else otherwise only helps those who otherwise either already own everything else, or have easy access to it. Windows has been a consumer OS for near two decades, but consumer uses are evolving, and the OS needs to follow suit. Or to completely grind this metaphor into the ground, we need it to provide multiple different types of canvases as well, as new types of paint and painting tools as new types of painting are invented - you don't use the same type of canvas for watercolors as you do for oil paints, etc.

This also ties into how PC use is diversifying. We have more input methods than ever before, in more form factors than ever before, PCs are used for more things than ever before, performance is higher than ever before. The OS needs to account for all of that. Sure, 3rd party solutions are always possible - but in 99% of cases they are either janky and poorly made, poorly optimized, buggy, or just not universal enough to do what they are supposed to do (unless, of course, they are standalone applications - but that's not what we're talking about here). They also generally gel poorly with the overall design of the OS, which makes for poor user experiences (the visual design of the Steam overlay is atrocious and looks like it was made in the mid 2000s). Realistically, the best case scenario for a 3rd party system interface tool (like a gaming overlay) is that it works as it should but is entirely closed off to outside developers. Is that actually better than a well-integrated, universal, expandable, adaptable 1st party solution? I would say no.

I would actually say that the wealth of input methods and modes of using a PC is the strongest argument for first-party implementations of new solutions, simply because first party development tends to have a much broader scope and tends towards making better use of new input paradigms (partly due to having more resources for development and not being as strictly bound to direct profitability of new software development). PC gaming with a controller is very common these days, and the Steam overlay is utterly useless for that (and don't get me started on Big Picture mode...). The same goes for adapting new software solutions to things like touchscreen input - while this isn't very relevant for gaming, it applies to a lot of other useful software. Expecting universally usable 3rd party solutions for this to appear is essentially utopian - for it to be good it needs to be developed by a big and experienced team, which means it won't be free (unless it's developed by volunteers and open-sourced, which generally means decade-long development cycles), which means it will never get across the threshold of adoption necessary to ensure proper integration with necessary applications and utilities. We've seen this hundreds of times. So, while I agree that it would be better for everything like this to be open-source, free, optional for those who don't want it, etc., I don't see it as even remotely possible. And the current reality is a system made up of a series of walled gardens with near-zero interaction. What MS is doing is a definite improvement over that.

Great perspective and yeah, agreed. Maybe I should add, this is of course MY preference with this OS. I'm also not a big fan of many recent improvements in for example mobile OS'es like Android and IOS. Certain limitations or 'I'll do this for you'-things are completely rage inducing at times :D F*ck off, I'm not stupid, and I don't intend to become stupid. This also goes down to a deeper philosophy that is less focused on commercial growth of an OS and more on, shall we say, social value in the long run... I think all these abstractions and shells that make things easy, remove us further from the technology than we should be. Underneath all that simplicity there is tremendous complexity and we don't benefit from dumbing ourselves down; its a bit of a paradox because the gap with reality is becoming ever larger and when shit really hits the fan... you know nothing and have nothing. Its like navigation in your car. Great feature. But can we still read a map by following road signs? Will our kids be able to?

Last edited: