• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Matisse" and "Rome" IO Controller Dies Mapped Out

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Here are the first detailed die maps of the I/O controller dies of AMD's "Matisse" and "Rome" multi-chip modules that make up the company's 3rd generation Ryzen and 2nd generation EPYC processor families, respectively, by PC enthusiast and VLSI engineer "Nemez" aka @GPUsAreMagic on Twitter, with underlying die-shots by Fitzchens Fitz. The die maps of the "Matisse" cIOD in particular give us fascinating insights to how AMD designed the die to serve both as a cIOD and as an external FCH (AMD X570 and TRX40 chipsets). At the heart of both these chips' design effort is using highly configurable SerDes (serializer/deserializers) that can work as PCIe, SATA, USB 3, or other high-bandwidth serial interfaces, using a network of fabric switches and PHYs. This is how motherboard designers are able to configure the chipsets for the I/O they want for their specific board designs.

The "Matisse" cIOD has two x16 SerDes controllers and an I/O root hub, along with two configurable x16 SerDes PHYs, while the "Rome" sIOD has four times as many SerDes controllers, along with eight times as many PHYs. The "Castle Peak" cIOD (3rd gen Ryzen Threadripper) disables half the SerDes resources on the "Rome" sIOD, along with half as many memory controllers and PHYs, limiting it to 4-channel DDR4. The "Matisse" cIOD features two IFOP (Infinity Fabric over Package) links, wiring out to the two "Zen 2" CCDs (chiplets) on the MCM, while the "Rome" sIOD features eight such IFOP interfaces for up to eight CCDs, along with IFIS (Infinity Fabric Inter-Socket) links for 2P motherboards. Infinity Fabric internally connects all components on both IOD dies. Both dies are built on the 12 nm FinFET (12LP) silicon fabrication node at GlobalFoundries.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
Very cool! Interesting that AMD kept the 32 main SerDes connections (nominally 32 PCIe lanes) on the Matisse I/O die. It was there with Zeppelin, and they were used in that layout (for 64-128 PCIe lanes in Threadripper and Epyc, which had [originally] 2-4 Zeppelin dies).

I suppose future Epyc D/Embedded products will need the 32 SerDes lanes for PCIe/10GbE lines, so may as well bake it in now.

Any fans of Caesar 3? This reminds me of the city blocks constricted into a tight loop. Very hard to do unless you know a trick called 'forced walker'. I can see where the effort went, it is actually tougher to remake using the same framework. Have to have a shift in mindset.
It is remarkable what has transpired over the last decade. I can recall when Intel designers, as talented as they are, providing honest commentary to the inner workings of a good design had their david vs goliath moment when AMD put up a challenge with automated semicustom designs to their hand picked design. You couldn't make this up even if you tried. PR homecoming.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Am I the only one wondering what "c" in "cIOD" stands for? CCD = Core Complex Die, cIOD = ??? Input Output Die?

Am I the only one wondering what "c" in "cIOD" stands for? CCD = Core Complex Die, cIOD = ??? Input Output Die?

"AMD "Matisse" cIOD and "Rome" sIOD. " From the source's twitter

So my guess would be consumer IOD and server IOD

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
"AMD "Matisse" cIOD and "Rome" sIOD. " From the source's twitter

So my guess would be consumer IOD and server IOD
That does kind of make sense, though it's a weird distinction to apply given that there are consumer versions of the Rome IOD with just some parts disabled (Threadripper 3000), and enterprise/workstation versions of the Matisse IOD (both as the TRX40 chipset as well as in Ryzen Pro CPUs). Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. Calling one the "Matisse IOD" and the other the "Rome IOD" ought to be plenty clear as to the difference in silicon, no?

Nemez

That does kind of make sense, though it's a weird distinction to apply given that there are consumer versions of the Rome IOD with just some parts disabled (Threadripper 3000), and enterprise/workstation versions of the Matisse IOD (both as the TRX40 chipset as well as in Ryzen Pro CPUs). Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. Calling one the "Matisse IOD" and the other the "Rome IOD" ought to be plenty clear as to the difference in silicon, no?

sIOD/cIOD makes a decent amount of sense, calling it "Matisse IOD" and "Rome IOD" has the same issue, since Threadripper is technically not "Rome", but rather "Castle Peak" :)

Very cool! Interesting that AMD kept the 32 main SerDes connections (nominally 32 PCIe lanes) on the Matisse I/O die. It was there with Zeppelin, and they were used in that layout (for 64-128 PCIe lanes in Threadripper and Epyc, which had [originally] 2-4 Zeppelin dies).

I suppose future Epyc D/Embedded products will need the 32 SerDes lanes for PCIe/10GbE lines, so may as well bake it in now.

Why they kept 32 lanes? They had to, keep in mind this same die is also used as the X570 and TRX40 chipsets, both of which utilize the full 12 USB controllers, 4 SATA lanes, 2 vendor configurable x4 links, a general purpose x8 link and either a x4 or x8 CPU uplink, that adds up to a total of 24 SerDes required for X570 and 28 SerDes for TRX40 ;)

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
sIOD/cIOD makes a decent amount of sense, calling it "Matisse IOD" and "Rome IOD" has the same issue, since Threadripper is technically not "Rome", but rather "Castle Peak" :)
Still a distinction without a difference. "Castle Peak IOD" is not the same as "Rome IOD" after all - it's based on the same silicon, but has half of it disabled. Attaching a letter to denominate a market segment that is already denominated by the platform code name is just unnecessary and confusing. Naming it after its implementation sounds like the only way to have a consistent and clear naming scheme. It also avoids attaching unrelated letters to an abbreviation - I/O is I/O no matter if it's in a server or consumer application after all.