• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Updates OMEN 15 Laptop Design, Now Features AMD Ryzen 7 4800H and GeForce RTX 2060

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
A refresh of HP's OMEN 15 seems to be about to hit the market, as HP UK has already put up a page for the revised laptop. The most appealing changes are, as usual, under the hood: the updated model now features AMD's Ryzen 7 4800H CPU, an 8-core, 16-thread solution that features a 45 W TDP and basically beats anything Intel has on the market against it. However, it seems that the scarcity of high-end mobile GPUs for any AMD-based platform continues, as the most powerful graphics solution available for this particular version of the OMEN is an NVIDIA RTX 2060 graphics card. Perhaps OEMs don't want to spoil us with both the best CPU and GPU solutions available on the mobile market? Go figure.

The OMEN 15 has seen a redesign from its previous version, now featuring thinner bezels, a different hinge system, no number pad, and the panel supports Adaptive Sync, though the refresh rate hasn't been detailed. It also features a Bang & Olufsen sound system, as well as RGB-backlit keys. The product page for the product has since been taken down and can now only be accessed via a cached version, so there's that. But the laptop was priced at 1,199 GBP (1,370 EUR).

It's not just a gaming laptop, it's THE gaming laptop. Obviously, the OMEN 15 has a powerful AMD processor and NVIDIA graphics in a compact frame. Did we mention it has a fast display and long battery life? Yeah, it has everything and you can take it even further with OMEN Command Center. So, just enjoy those envious looks while you play, it's only natural.

Powerful in all the right places
The OMEN 15 is a perfect example of how there can never be too much of a good thing. With a powerful AMD processor and NVIDIA graphics cooled by OMEN Tempest Cooling, it makes you think how it all fits into such a tiny little package.

Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it
We don't need to tell you how good it looks and feels to play on, but we're going to do it anyway. It's easy on the eyes with a luscious design and fast display. Crafted with Audio by Bang & Olufsen and super long battery life, so that means you won't stop farming those wins or those admiring looks.

Now it's personal
The OMEN 15 doesn't just stop at having powerful specs and an amazing look. With OMEN Command Center, you can customize and optimize everything from performance controls to the customized keyboard. It's easy to upgrade and has all the ports you need, so you can take it even further beyond other mere gaming laptops.

HP

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I'm not one for conspiracy theories or paranoid delusions, but I will say this, if by the time Zen3/Ryzen 4000(desktop)/ryzen 5000(mobile) is released, there isn't a single Laptop with a Ryzen 4000 CPU and a High end GPU, I would definitely attribute that to anti-competitive, possibly illegal practices by Intel. If Intel hadn't been found guilty if bribing OEMs to not use AMD in 2000s, I probably wouldn't think it possible, but Intel set the precedent with its own actions. Considering that Intel is even more desperate now than they were then, and mobile is their last bastion against AMD... I could totally see them working out an exclusivity deal with OEMs in the mobile market.

SL2

I'm not one for conspiracy theories..
In worst case, you're right. But, that doesn't mean that Nvidia is innocent here.

Another alternative is that it takes one generation for laptop makers to catch up, like you suggest. When the first Ryzen U CPU's were launched, we didn't see many models with it, only a few with worse panels and high idle power consumption. A year later we saw more models with better parts and specs, and even MS bothered making a Ryzen version of their Surface Laptop (and that's not a given).

So maybe it'll take a generation for gaming laptops as well?

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'm not one for conspiracy theories or paranoid delusions, but I will say this, if by the time Zen3/Ryzen 4000(desktop)/ryzen 5000(mobile) is released, there isn't a single Laptop with a Ryzen 4000 CPU and a High end GPU, I would definitely attribute that to anti-competitive, possibly illegal practices by Intel. If Intel hadn't been found guilty if bribing OEMs to not use AMD in 2000s, I probably wouldn't think it possible, but Intel set the precedent with its own actions. Considering that Intel is even more desperate now than they were then, and mobile is their last bastion against AMD... I could totally see them working out an exclusivity deal with OEMs in the mobile market.

Have you designed an AMD based anything? If you knew how much harder the device makers have to work to make a functional product with AMD hardware, you might have understood that it's a much greater investment in time, manpower and money to make a product based on AMD, rather than Intel hardware. This is mainly due to AMD not having the same support infrastructure that Intel has, nor the same kind of resources and financial backing. So no, it wouldn't only be down to Intel and how they deal with things behind the scenes.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Have you designed an AMD based anything? If you knew how much harder the device makers have to work to make a functional product with AMD hardware, you might have understood that it's a much greater investment in time, manpower and money to make a product based on AMD, rather than Intel hardware. This is mainly due to AMD not having the same support infrastructure that Intel has, nor the same kind of resources and financial backing. So no, it wouldn't only be down to Intel and how they deal with things behind the scenes.

The first who does will be rewarded for sure, also the intel design is a chain of refreshes hence why it's cheap.

Seems quite gimped in comparison to its intel brethren, even the 15-dc1xxx series.

If that little grille on the right is all the cooling there is... :banghead: For comparison, the other Omens with 45W intel CPU have 2 scram jets, err, fans with a double heatpipes that run throught both the CPU and the dGPU, so one fan can help the other in case of need.

Also, the intel ones have 144Hz displays.

So, in summary - to this one seems like a waste of a good CPU. HP should have made a decent ZBook with it.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

You sure it's Intel? not Nvidia, that currently wrecking havoc with OEM (e.g. play by our rules or don't play at all, this how Nvidia wants to do things deal with it).

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
You sure it's Intel? not Nvidia, that currently wrecking havoc with OEM (e.g. play by our rules or don't play at all, this how Nvidia wants to do things deal with it).

I definitely thunk Nvidia would have zero hesitancy to involve themselves in such a conspiracy, and again, they have historical precedent too in nefarious acts, like the GeForce Partnership Program...perhaps I didnt mention Nvidia in the first post because I didnt want to deal with the inevitable attacks against me by unrelenting hive-mind of nvidia's fanboy army.

How does my personal experience have anything to do with the strength of my argument? In logic, thats called an "ad hominem logical fallacy", but Ill indulge...have you ever designed AMD hardware? Can you fulfill your own requirements for being able to voice an opinion? Regardless, OEMs usually have first access to hardware, so Im not buying the "not enough time" argument.

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
The most probable cause is the market itself. 99% of the users have tunnel vision about laptops - it's "intel inside" or nothing. It would be risky for a manufacturer to put out $3000 laptops with 2080 GPUs and AMD CPUs, targeted at a small portion of the 1% informed buyers that aren't Intel fanboys.
Specs wise, the 2060 seems a perfect match for the 4800H for professionals and creators. If you want better GPU, I'm sure there are, or will be, NV Quadro / AMD Radeon Pro laptops/desktop replacements. Gamers will still prefer Intel for their 2070 / 2080 equipped gaming laptops.

System Name Satan
Processor AMD 2700x with EK waterblock
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Cooling Custom open loop watercooled
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengance RGB Pro @ 3466 Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt with EK full cover block
Storage Intel 660p 512 GB nvme Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB for storage SATA
Display(s) Viotek 32" curved 144 Hz 1440 P
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Corsair Rmx 750
Mouse Logitech G 602 wireless
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 10 Pro

I don't think you are too off the point really. Nvidia and Intel have both been caught doing this in the past that’s true. It doesn't mean they could or will do it again but, The behavior is still there. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Regardless, it's good to see a main OEM put out something like this, it's a start.
And this is probably the sweet spot of affordable gaming on the go.
Mobile rtx2060 is plenty powerful for any games out now.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
How does my personal experience have anything to do with the strength of my argument? In logic, thats called an "ad hominem logical fallacy", but Ill indulge...have you ever designed AMD hardware? Can you fulfill your own requirements for being able to voice an opinion? Regardless, OEMs usually have first access to hardware, so Im not buying the "not enough time" argument.

It's far more than just hardware, it's the infrastructure and support around that hardware and integrating it into your own design. Intel and AMD have been doing this for OEMs for literally decades, AMD (due to lack of good product and lack of funds) has not. In short, it means that fitting AMD hardware into your own design is far more of a challenge and risk - not only is there more potential for the end result to not work out, it also takes more time and has the potential to take even longer, which means you may not make the deadline for launching your design.

When you're a multibillion-dollar company, and things aren't working right, you want to be able to pick up the phone and call someone from your partner company, and have them send a troubleshooting person or team to your front door by the next working day. Intel and NVIDIA have this support available, AMD does not.

A personal anecdote to illustrate: my team worked on a software project where we had to interface an Android device with another proprietary hardware device. The latter used a controller chip by a well-known and established manufacturer, who had provided an Android driver for that chip, which means we didn't have to write our own driver. That shaved literally months off the development time.

However, the controller driver had some rather severe bugs. But because the manufacturer of that controller provides easily-contactable support, I was able to get in touch with a real engineer at the manufacturer, explain the problem to them, and send them crash logs of the bugs. Two weeks later, they provided me a beta driver that addressed the issues, and my team was able to get back to actually writing the software we were supposed to be writing, and deliver it on-time and on-budget.

If a less-well-supported controller chip from a less-well-known manufacturer had been used, it's quite possible - in fact likely - that my project would not have been able to meet its deadlines. This of course, does not mean that an off-brand controller chip would have objectively been worse - it's quite possible that the opposite would have been true. But there was no way to know, and no time to perform that investigation. In contrast, we were very aware that the manufacturer of the chip chosen was renowned for its good support - it was a known quantity on a project that had many unknowns.

At the end of the day, the choice of controller chip ensured that my team's software project, worth a few hundred thousand dollars, succeeded. When you are designing laptops, you're talking hundreds of millions. Those are projects that hurt big if they fail, they are projects that pretty much can't fail. And the best way to ensure success is to stick to what you know.

Right now, Intel and NVIDIA are known successful quantities, and AMD is not. It takes a lot of time, a lot of expenditure, and a lot of dedication to build up proven world-class support, and AMD simply isn't there yet. If they continue to iterate as well as they are, there's absolutely no question they'll get there - but they are starting from scratch against competitors who have been doing this for literally decades.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have designed hardware, not with AMD bits, but even so. I also know a lot of what goes into the motherboard and notebook designs, as Intel hands over reference designs, AMD, not so much. You want to make something based on AMD hardware, you start with a bag of bits and then it's more or less up to you how to figure out how it works. Obviously you get some design guidelines etc. but compared to get a full reference design, it's quite a different way of doing things. As such, a lot of companies are reluctant to work with AMD, due to the much more costly design phase.
You seem to be quite clueless about these things, based on your comments.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
When you're a multibillion-dollar company, and things aren't working right, you want to be able to pick up the phone and call someone from your partner company, and have them send a troubleshooting person or team to your front door by the next working day. Intel and NVIDIA have this support available, AMD does not.

so there should be no reason because they can easily ask support from nvidia in using more powerful GPU, right?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
so there should be no reason because they can easily ask support from nvidia in using more powerful GPU, right?

I don't understand your question.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

That wasn't his point. The point is economy and margins... if it costs you more R&D and more time to design an AMD product your time to market is longer. Its a thing, because the next chip release is always around the corner. If you can't market things fast enough, the momentum is lost and you release behind the optimal curve of sales. So not only does it cost more to develop product, the risk is also greater a competitor or your own product line cannibalizes it.

Its a theme with AMD products. GPUs are the same... Nvidia releases mobile friendly versions and has a tight driver regime, AMD is winging it (look at the pre-launch 14Gbps driver for Navi...) and has no consistency in releases. And look at Ryzen. The mobo / RAM compatibility issues. Yes, its a new platform, but that's not an excuse, it is an observation and it counts.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I have designed hardware, not with AMD bits, but even so. I also know a lot of what goes into the motherboard and notebook designs, as Intel hands over reference designs, AMD, not so much. You want to make something based on AMD hardware, you start with a bag of bits and then it's more or less up to you how to figure out how it works. Obviously you get some design guidelines etc. but compared to get a full reference design, it's quite a different way of doing things. As such, a lot of companies are reluctant to work with AMD, due to the much more costly design phase.
You seem to be quite clueless about these things, based on your comments.
This would be a nice post in "why aren't there any AMD mainboards" you know.
But we are asking why one could slap 2060 into AMD laptop, but not something faster.
Or how adding better screens to AMD offerings is more complex than having crappy TNs or worst of the IPS on them.

HP cannot add 144Hz laptop to AMD lineup, while tiny MSI can, how convincing.

Or why there still isn't a goddamn Spectre based on Renoir.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That wasn't his point. The point is economy and margins... if it costs you more R&D and more time to design an AMD product your time to market is longer. Its a thing, because the next chip release is always around the corner. If you can't market things fast enough, the momentum is lost and you release behind the optimal curve of sales. So not only does it cost more to develop product, the risk is also greater a competitor or your own product line cannibalizes it.

Its a theme with AMD products. GPUs are the same... Nvidia releases mobile friendly versions and has a tight driver regime, AMD is winging it (look at the pre-launch 14Gbps driver for Navi...) and has no consistency in releases. And look at Ryzen. The mobo / RAM compatibility issues. Yes, its a new platform, but that's not an excuse, it is an observation and it counts.
Actually, Nokia/HMD is a great example of this right now, their "flagship" phones have been 6-9 months behind the competition to market. They've most likely lost market share due to this.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing on actual laptop offerings.

Just to put this in perspective, my laptop is a PowerSpec 1510 i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM, 256 Samsung EVO 960 M.2 + 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD and GTX 1070 w/8GB.
This has a PCMark 10 overall score of 4689 which is better than about 75% of submissions with this same CPU.

I'm looking at their list of 4800H laptops, and the #1 laptop is an Asus Tuf with 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and a 1660Ti

It has a score of 5560. This is only 18.6% faster than my 2 1/2 year old laptop with a quad core i7-7700HQ.

To put this into perspective, the top laptop score for an i7-9750H with a 1660Ti is almost 5966 (27% faster). Bumping up to a 2070 will push that to as high as 6458 (37% faster). To add insult to injury here, the 9570H based laptops are being discounted to make room for the 107xx and 108xx laptops while the AMD laptops are charging a premium. Not talking chump change either, in some cases you'll pay 40-50% more for the amd based laptops.

Yes this probably has nothing to do with the CPU, it's just cheap parts and lack of optimization. Possibly there's something up with the chipset as well.

But from a consumer standpoint, I don't care. It's like telling me your new car has a powerful motor but skinny tires and a 3 speed transmission on it.

If you can't market things fast enough, the momentum is lost and you release behind the optimal curve of sales. So not only does it cost more to develop product, the risk is also greater a competitor or your own product line cannibalizes it.
Pretty sure this should be a non argument currently. Let's see if things improve at the back end of the year, with more powerful mGPU being rolled out for AMD or not!

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
I don't understand your question.

they already had a 2060 working with ryzen 4000, what's the difficult part in incorporating higher RTX series?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
they already had a 2060 working with ryzen 4000, what's the difficult part in incorporating higher RTX series?
It's not aimed at gamers, so the 2060 is enough for most in that thin and light laptop form.