• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MediaTek Announces First SoC with AV1 Hardware Acceleration

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MediaTek has announced it will enable YouTube video streams using the cutting-edge AV1 video codec on the MediaTek Dimensity 1000 5G SoC. The MediaTek Dimensity 1000 is the world's first smartphone SoC to integrate an AV1 hardware video decoder, enabling it to play back AV1 video streams up to 4K resolution at 60 fps. With its improved compression efficiency, AV1 gives users incredible visual quality and smoother video experiences, while using less data.

Video streaming is the number one activity in smartphone use, so by using the Dimensity 1000's more power efficient hardware-based AV1 video decoder, users can enjoy longer battery life while still streaming at the best quality settings. Combined with its ultra-fast 5G connectivity in a single chip, the Dimensity 1000 leads the industry in design and capability.

"MediaTek is engaged in consistently upgrading its offerings to enhance user experience, and AV1 technology is a prime example. Video is now the most used form of communication, with 70% of Millennials and Gen Z reportedly using streaming services," said Dr. Yenchi Lee, Assistant General Manager of MediaTek's Wireless Business Unit. "Industry reports state that the video streaming market is likely to expand at a CAGR of 19.6% and touch $124.57 billion by 2025, and it is one of the principle drivers of 5G services. MediaTek is leading the way in enabling effective video streaming with AV1."

The AV1 video codec is creating a landmark change in the video streaming industry. First released in 2018 by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia), AV1 is royalty-free, crafted to replace the VP9 codec and become the Internet Video Codec (NETVC) standard. AV1 is an ultra-high-performance video codec technology that delivers 30% more compression efficiency over existing VP9.

"AV1 has become an increasingly important format to allow high-resolution playback on handheld devices, and we're excited that MediaTek has implemented dedicated AV1 hardware to advance its adoption, such as what's included in their Dimensity 1000 5G SoC," said Matt Frost, Director of Product Management of Google Chrome. "As mobile video streaming becomes more prevalent, new use cases like MediaTek's emphasize the important work of developing next-generation codecs."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
with 70% of Millennials and Gen Z reportedly using streaming services

Basically Gen X peps are ordering only coffins and using old mags? A bit short minded PR is being sent here.

ARF

with 70% of Millennials and Gen Z reportedly using streaming services," said Dr. Yenchi Lee, Assistant General Manager of MediaTek's Wireless Business Unit

Gen Y is people BORN between 1981 - 1996
Gen Z is people BORN b/n 1997 - 2014

I don't know what this guy is smoking - Gen Y in its majority for sure doesn't use streaming services.
Gen Y is the generation that had grown with CD Audio, and conventional TV and Radio stations.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Gen Y is people BORN between 1981 - 1996
Gen Z is people BORN b/n 1997 - 2014

I don't know what this guy is smoking - Gen Y in its majority for sure doesn't use streaming services.
Gen Y is the generation that had grown with CD Audio, and conventional TV and Radio stations.

Actually it is vice versa... the older X Gen TV generation uses and will use AV1 the most, because of the old habit. It was firstly designed for TV and first IC's are being made for TV boxes or TV's themselves in order to see crap propaganda TV and other leisure stuff. Looks like someone is late to the party, you almost cannot buy a dumb domestic TV panel anymore, those all are smart devices... having the same feature set and often same CPU just with higher TDP, basically leftovers as they are not fit for low power to be in a mobile.. AV1 is targeted for 8K and HDR in the mind in the first place. Marketing AV1 as something for the newer people is pretty stupid and short minded. I agree that majority of my friends are not using streaming as such... because of work, family and simply taste... most people are not drawn to tech at all... dudes go to the garage and fix their cars... like it was for decades.

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
with generation y it depends on education and work surroundings, anyone born from 1981 to 1993 is about to be in the workforce and have kids or not..

sometimes it is easier to use streaming than tv if you have limited time and the timerame in itself, streaming is on its highest rise with covid19 and everyone at home.

The ordinary tv is flooded with reports from the crisis which no one wants to hear in a loop, so nothing beats binge watching every late evening on amazon!
It is BS marketing to think that tv still has a place, only for old people but not generation Y or any younger one, it is just still there to keep people paying for the old tv networks
(it doesn't matter if you pay with commercial watch time or directly like in germany).

The "old" reputable networks just keep us europeans from "fox" news style of "alternative" facts :banghead: other than that feature i say: "Torch them all"

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
I don't know how AV1 is going to catch up to HEVC any time soon. All the major streamers are already using it. All the major TVs already decode it. 4k Bluray is HEVC. All new processors and GPUs decode it. In 5 years, I would assume that people would be moving to a next generation codec rather than using a (presumably) royalty-free version of the same thing they already have.

Is there ever room for two mainstream video codecs at the same time? Seems more like we get the old codec and the new codec coexisting until the new becomes the old and we switch to the new. AV1 is niche.

At least with MediaTek putting this in their chips, TV makers can easily allow it for streaming. I still doubt that supporting HEVC and AV1 would reduce costs for streaming companies at all.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't know how AV1 is going to catch up to HEVC any time soon. All the major streamers are already using it. All the major TVs already decode it. 4k Bluray is HEVC.
MediaTek adding AV1 hardware acceleration is big because it supplies SoCs to Google Chromecast, Amazon FireStick, and many other streaming devices and DVRs. Netflix is already on board with AV1, to escape HEVC tax while meeting its bandwidth-conservation goals. I'm sure many other OTT platforms will follow suit.

Blu-ray (physical media) is so 2010s. And the latest TVs will escape the HEVC tax by switching to AV1. There's a financial incentive.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
Also, AV1 is competing against VVC(h266), not HEVC(h265).

As of now AV1 is not competing against anything because it's essentially free, not to mention Google's added support for it in YouTube & chrome! In order for VVC or any other alternative to challenge AV1 in the future it'd have to be technologically superior &/or royalty free ~ which let's face it ain't what MPEG-LA or other leeches do.

You think people of around 30 to 40 don't watch youtubes? WTF!
Or do you theorize they don't use mobile phones? Ha ha
Oh and also not use tv-boxes or media players or anything.

I just hope nobody hires you for advising on any market based stuff - while not expecting to go bankrupt.

ARF

You think people of around 30 to 40 don't watch youtubes? WTF!
Or do you theorize they don't use mobile phones? Ha ha
Oh and also not use tv-boxes or media players or anything.

I just hope nobody hires you for advising on any market based stuff - while not expecting to go bankrupt.

Gen Z are still kids - age between 6 and 23.
So, many of them play with their parents' old phones and maybe tablets, but they for sure don't care about quality.

You can't get quality out of a phone, I mean you need a high-end audio system.

Because they said:

Whatever, forget it ....... they speak about visual quality and don't give a about sound quality, anyways.

And yeah, marketing is very far from my competencies ... I am an honest person :D

"streaming at the best quality settings" :kookoo:

Last edited:
Mediatek is not commonly used for high end anyway, snapdragons and Apple's own chips rule the roost there.
As for audio, in high end they all abandoned the audio connector and you are expected to use wireless audio, which often has a quality drawback - apart from the endless recharging issue.
Mind you, wires CAN be annoying sometimes.

So I think it's nice for Mediatek that they can scoop on AV1 support.
And talking of Mediatek, I hope they don't bow down to Trump's BS because I'd be so disappointed.