• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake Desktop Processors and 400-Series Chipsets Announced, Here's what's New

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Did anyone catch when the review embargo lifts? Some rumors claimed end of May…

From the article: Almost all socket LGA1200 motherboards we've seen so far, barring the Mini-ITX designs, feature at least an 8+4 pin EPS (CPU power) input configuration. The higher-end boards even have dual 8-pin EPS setups akin to HEDT motherboards.
Looks like a lot of us will also need to stump up for a high end dual EPS PSU as well, if we decide to adopt these new parts.
I do wonder if both are required or not?
Regardless, you don't need a "high end" PSU to have two EPS connectors, even a value PSU like Seasonic Focus GX 550W features this. But a 5 year old PSU might not.
But if you're building a new PC in this price range, you shouldn't skimp on the PSU.

ARF

90% of users out there don't need more than 4 cores, the remaining 8-9% are totally fine with 6 cores and maybe 1-2% of all users actually need 8-core or more parts. Meanwhile everyone on this planet is better off with single threaded performance which Intel still leads in absolutely most use cases. Zen 3 might finally change it (for a while) but it's nowhere to be seen yet and we don't even have any projections or leaks about its performance.

I don't deny that AMD made multicore parts available for the average Joe (which Intel denied us for many years), but the guy still doesn't really utilize them in any capacity.

And yes, this is still Sky Lake, i.e. the 5th iteration of it. The uArch was so great I don't understand why people hate Intel for utilizing it over and over again. It's not like Intel doesn't have anything on their radar, no, Ice Lake has been in retail for more than half a year, Tiger Lake is already in production but it's not known when it will hit the shelves.

You don't need good single thread performance. If it were the case, a single-core processor would still be good enough.
I am not quite sure that Windows 10 in its current form supports any single-core processor, to begin with.
You need maximum threads, even threadlets if you will

There are rumours about 15-17% IPC improvement + 200-300 MHz uplift with Zen 3.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
How much do you think these 68 cents will translate to in Motherboardish? 20 USD?
It doesn't work like that though. Board makers have different SKUs and if you've looked, you'll see that most Z490 boards have 2.5Gbps Ethernet, even what should end up being fairly affordable SKUs. I really doubt there'll be a big markup on any boards for 2.5Gbps Ethernet this time around.

ARF

It doesn't work like that though. Board makers have different SKUs and if you've looked, you'll see that most Z490 boards have 2.5Gbps Ethernet, even what should end up being fairly affordable SKUs. I really doubt there'll be a big markup on any boards for 2.5Gbps Ethernet this time around.

Well, marketing works exactly that way ;)

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.
Did anyone catch when the review embargo lifts? Some rumors claimed end of May…

I do wonder if both are required or not?
Regardless, you don't need a "high end" PSU to have two EPS connectors, even a value PSU like Seasonic Focus GX 550W features this. But a 5 year old PSU might not.
But if you're building a new PC in this price range, you shouldn't skimp on the PSU.

Probably both, certainly both for an overclock, the MB makers aren't providing such beefy VRMs without reason.
True, nobody should be thinking of running a rig based on these parts with a low end PSU, I was thinking of ' older ' systems where the user might upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM and hold the other parts, including the PSU.

90% of users out there don't need more than 4 cores, the remaining 8-9% are totally fine with 6 cores and maybe 1-2% of all users actually need 8-core or more parts. Meanwhile everyone on this planet is better off with single threaded performance which Intel still leads in absolutely most use cases. Zen 3 might finally change it (for a while) but it's nowhere to be seen yet and we don't even have any projections or leaks about its performance.

I don't deny that AMD made multicore parts available for the average Joe (which Intel denied us for many years), but the guy still doesn't really utilize them in any capacity.

And yes, this is still Sky Lake, i.e. the 5th iteration of it. The uArch was so great I don't understand why people hate Intel for utilizing it over and over again. It's not like Intel doesn't have anything on their radar, no, Ice Lake has been in retail for more than half a year, Tiger Lake is already in production but it's not known when it will hit the shelves.

You're paying for absolute best single threaded performance and stable mature platform out of the box. The release of Zen 2 was a lot of pain for the first three months for its early adopters. Intel solutions on the other hand are usually complete and fully functional out of the box and don't need a dozen of BIOS updates to make them work as the vendor intended.

Yes, Comet Lake desktop CPUs will run hot. The people who buy such systems usually know what they are paying for and what they are getting.

Absolute most pro e-athletes run Intel Core i9 9900KS CPUs. Deal with it! No one cares your rig has 64 cores if it gives you 20% less FPS at FHD than the top Intel part. No one.

Agree that intel is better and more stable out of the box from first hand experience, but its really not that grim as you suggest, i didnt need your exaggerated 12 bios updates to fix anything. And things are rapidly changing in the world as it adapts to AMD, we will see more mature code and products.

But outside of the world of gamers who are pro-ethletes, cores matter. Look at the market, who is buying what with how many cores should tell you what you should know. If people didn't need more cores, they would all be buying 4 core parts, but they are not. And talking about niche world of 1-2% of all users, most people aren't pro-gamers. And if you happen to buy more cores than you need its always nice to have them available, with few penalties, for those times you do need them.

Can't ignore power consumption either, that is why skylake uArch is a huge problem, its not efficient, not at those clocks. When you see the reviews, and the ridiculous heat these things are producing, and the huge power consumption, you will understand.

Where are you getting the 20% less FPS statistics for equivalent parts, you cite a 64 core cpu versus a 8 core cpu, no one, especially an ethlete, is buying HEDT to pro game. AMD isn't 20% less FPS behind with single core IPC on average. The 90% of users statistic dont need more than 4 cores is also questionable, these parts aren't marketed towards average consumers.

ARF

Agree that intel is better and more stable out of the box from first hand experience, but its really not that grim as you suggest, i didnt need your exaggerated 12 bios updates to fix anything. And things are rapidly changing in the world as it adapts to AMD, we will see more mature code and products.

Have you got a link to a third-party investigation about this claim - that Intel-based systems are more issue-free?

The amount of hogwash being spread by AMD fans is simply staggering. Why don't you just skip the news related to Intel and NVIDIA?

You don't need good single thread performance. If it were the case, a single-core processor would still be good enough.
I am not quite sure that Windows 10 in its current form supports any single-core processor, to begin with.
You need maximum threads, even threadlets if you will

There are rumours about 15-17% IPC improvement + 200-300 MHz uplift with Zen 3.

1. You're absolutely irresponsibly wrong about that. > 98% of tasks normal users run on a daily basis will run faster if you have 4 fast cores than you have 16 slow cores. Deal with it.

2. In its current form Intel CPUs are the fastest in the world in single threaded performance (for running x86-64 code). This has nothing to do with IPC or anything. I don't give a damn about future AMD or anyone's products. And when you're talking about Zen 3, start talking about Ice Lake which has a much higher IPC than Zen 2 and Tiger Lake which adds up to 20% of performance on top of Ice Lake.

But outside of the world of gamers who are pro-ethletes, cores matter. Look at the market, who is buying what with how many cores should tell you what you should know. If people didn't need more cores, they would all be buying 4 core parts, but they are not. And talking about niche world of 1-2% of all users, most people aren't pro-gamers. And if you happen to buy more cores than you need its always nice to have them available, with few penalties, for those times you do need them.

No, they don't. Absolute most people out there do NOT run on a regular basis:
  • Compilation
  • Rendering
  • Video/audio encoding (hardly any users reencode video)
  • Scientific research and computations
  • AI
These are all extremely specialized tasks for very few people out there - again, just like I said, 2% of the global population using PCs or less. Also, a lot of tasks don't quite scale well when you're adding MOAR cores, e.g. the x265 code can effectively use only 16 cores and adding more on top improves performance in a less than linear fashion.

Why does every discussion about Intel and NVIDIA turn into a cesspool of disinformation, myths and "AMD will work better in the future"? No one cares! People buy products to run them right away.

And speaking of feature completeness.

I've recently bought an AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT video card, based on the SUPER DUPER RDNA 1.0 architecture, which in AMD fans' eyes is the second coming of Christ. What did I get:
  • AMD drivers can't control gamma in games which is a must for tons of people
  • Fan curve is broken (I'm rocking the latest BIOS and the newest 20.4.2 Adrenaline Drivers)
  • Video acceleration consumes more than twice (!) as much power as NVIDIA Pascal on 16nm which was released 4 years ago(!) - 28W vs 12W.
  • With the fan stop feature turned on the card runs at staggering 57C (!) while browsing the web while my previous GTX 1060 ran at modest 42C with everything else being equal. As a result my X570 chipset is now running at 65C instead of 58C with an "old" "bad" NVIDIA GPU.
Speaking of the amazing Zen2/X570 combo. In idle it consumes over 25W of power (which is a lot when talking about millions of systems) vs. around 7W for Intel which has a bad "14++++++" node and an even worse 22nm node for its Z390 chipset.

Last edited:
System Name THE FORTRESS
Processor INTEL CORE i7-10700K
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling BE QUIET DARK ROCK 4
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB
Storage SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - CRUCIAL X8 SSD 1TB - ADATA HD770G 1TB
Display(s) SAMSUNG QA65Q7FN 4K 65 INCH TV (120HZ @ 1440p IN PC MODE)
Case BE QUIET DARK BASE PRO 900 REVISION 2
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTERX AE-5 - LOGITECH Z-5500 SPEAKERS - SENNHEISER HD598SE CANS
Power Supply SEASONIC PRIME 750W PLATINUM
Mouse RAZER DEATHADDER ELITE
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
Benchmark Scores STABILITY SILENCE... SPEED
I don't see the option for the dual fire extinguishers you will need when your motherboard burst into flames:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
Perhaps they should go with one of those hot noisy Wraiths, not that they are the reason Ryzen's are so unstable :laugh:

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Perhaps they should go with one of those hot noisy Wraiths, not that they are the reason Ryzen's are so unstable :laugh:
What a strange comment. Even if AMD’s bundled cooler is noisy, it’s still a bundled cooler. It’s not like Intel is shipping anything with their high-end chips anyway. Anyhow, my Ryzen build does just fine, even while running OCed bargain memory in a $50 motherboard.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
The amount of hogwash being spread by AMD fans is simply staggering. Why don't you just skip the news related to Intel and NVIDIA?

1. You're absolutely irresponsibly wrong about that. > 98% of tasks normal users run on a daily basis will run faster if you have 4 fast cores than you have 16 slow cores. Deal with it.

2. In its current form Intel CPUs are the fastest in the world in single threaded performance (for running x86-64 code). This has nothing to do with IPC or anything. I don't give a damn about future AMD or anyone's products. And when you're talking about Zen 3, start talking about Ice Lake which has a much higher IPC than Zen 2 and Tiger Lake which adds up to 20% of performance on top of Ice Lake.

No, they don't. Absolute most people out there do NOT run on a regular basis:
  • Compilation
  • Rendering
  • Video/audio encoding (hardly any users reencode video)
  • Scientific research and computations
  • AI
These are all extremely specialized tasks for very few people out there - again, just like I said, 2% of the global population using PCs or less. Also, a lot of tasks don't quite scale well when you're adding MOAR cores, e.g. the x265 code can effectively use only 16 cores and adding more on top improves performance in a less than linear fashion.

Why does every discussion about Intel and NVIDIA turn into a cesspool of disinformation, myths and "AMD will work better in the future"? No one cares! People buy products to run them right away.

And speaking of feature completeness.

I've recently bought an AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT video card, based on the SUPER DUPER RDNA 1.0 architecture, which in AMD fans' eyes is the second coming of Christ. What did I get:
  • AMD drivers can't control gamma in games which is a must for tons of people
  • Fan curve is broken (I'm rocking the latest BIOS and the newest 20.4.2 Adrenaline Drivers)
  • Video acceleration consumes more than twice (!) as much power as NVIDIA Pascal on 16nm which was released 4 years ago(!) - 28W vs 12W.
  • With the fan stop feature turned on the card runs at staggering 57C (!) while browsing the web while my previous GTX 1060 ran at modest 42C with everything else being equal. As a result my X570 chipset is now running at 65C instead of 58C with an "old" "bad" NVIDIA GPU.
Speaking of the amazing Zen2/X570 combo. In idle it consumes over 25W of power (which is a lot when talking about millions of systems) vs. around 7W for Intel which has a bad "14++++++" node and an even worse 22nm node for its Z390 chipset.
How are you any better than AMD fanboys with these elaborates?

System Name THE FORTRESS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTERX AE-5 - LOGITECH Z-5500 SPEAKERS - SENNHEISER HD598SE CANS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
What a strange comment. Even if AMD’s bundled cooler is noisy, it’s still a bundled cooler. It’s not like Intel is shipping anything with their high-end chips anyway. Anyhow, my Ryzen build does just fine, even while running OCed bargain memory in a $50 motherboard.
What a strange comment. It's always cited as part of the value proposition, it's garbage of course, barely good enough so you can bleat on about imaginary value isn't better than no cooler at all, I just like my system to run without random reboots, I can even use a nvidia card (shock horror) without any instability

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
What a strange comment. It's always cited as part of the value proposition, it's garbage of course, barely good enough so you can bleat on about imaginary value isn't better than no cooler at all, I just like my system to run without random reboots, I can even use a nvidia card (shock horror) without any instability
I doubt my personal experience will change your mind, but I’ve owned some of everything over the years. The differences in stability are negligible (meaning the issues have gone both ways and have been minor). Granted, I have never rushed out to buy anything that just came out. The closest I have come is my 5700XT, but that was cause I got it open box for $270 and was willing to risk it. Even that card has worked perfectly fine for me. As for the wraith cooler, it was certainly handy to have until I decided on a beefier cooler, and I’ve repurposed the fan into my current build, so it’s still somewhat in use today. I’ve tamed the fan speeds so it doesn’t make any more noise than my other fans. But hey, you do your thing, I’ll do mine.

System Name THE FORTRESS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
I doubt my personal experience will change your mind
Correct, and my mates and I have been around the block too (pardon the pun) and none of us would trust one to our critical comp

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Y'all thought the 40 mm fan on AMD X570 motherboards was a putoff? Wait till you see any half-decent Z490 board:

How is ASRock's choice to put VRM fans on a high-end overclocking board, in any way comparable to AMD's high-end chipset effectively requiring active cooling?

Once again, your fanboyism undermines the professional conduct of all the other writers on this site.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Eh, not a bad refresh really. Rocket Lake is the big boi coming though. Likely this year even. Kaby lake all over again?
This year? After they launch these in June? You in the market for a bridge by any chance?

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
How is ASRock's choice to put VRM fans on a high-end overclocking board, in any way comparable to AMD's high-end chipset effectively requiring active cooling?

Once again, your fanboyism undermines the professional conduct of all the other writers on this site.

Intel may still allow it to be a choice, but I doubt you're going to be able to run the 8c/16t options from this series without some serious power throttling due to VRM issues. So it will still work with no fans, but you won't be touching those stated boost clocks. I think motherboards could get around this by using the most efficient VRMs they can find, but that will bump costs up for the motherboards considerably.

System Name Red Team Build
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory HyperX Predator 64GB 3200CL16 (4X16GB)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage OS: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB ;Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715h, Samsung 43RU7100
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Audio Device(s) AUDIO-GD NFB11.28 DAC-Headphone Amp, beyerdynamic T1mk2, Sennheiser HD58X, JBL LSR305 Monitors
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 LUX RGB (MX RED)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
TBH, Its kinda sad that Intel's whole marketing is a meme for "look at me there is something I'm still good at".. considering they're a multi-billion company and such.

Even they know they can't compete with Ryzen, hence the whole recent marking "best gaming cpu", best at "real world performance" etc.
best they have on mainstream platform is 10c/20t cpu, while ryzen is 16c/32t, the 3900X alone makes the 10c/20t Intel already obsolete at anything beyond pure gaming, and on the higher end 3950X and 3960X makes the whole HEDT line pointless even after they did the 50% price cut on the 18c36t.
Lets be real - nobody (as in the "major public", not talking about "PCMR" type of people) should really cares about Intel's 5% to 10% performance "advantage" at 1080p, the reason people "care" about the gaming advantage is their brand perception/ recognition and obviously OEM ties, and if we were to look at laptops for example, the oems are happy with intel's minimal tweaking on the CPU's, as they can rebrand they same laptop internals with "new cpu" and pretty case.

I might be on "Team Red", But in the the end our power as costumers comes to power when we vote with out wallets, I didn't buy the 3900X from the perspective of "AMD Fanboy", but as a costumer who had an Intel Ivy Bridge CPU and were looking for a major update, after having the same CPU for more than 5 years (the last year was on an cheap ebay xeon 1270v2 ~ i7 3770), the same reason In 2012 when looking to upgrade my Aging E8400 C2D, I've decided on the i5 3470 and not the equivalent FX bulldozer (as it was already "crap" then..)

AMD may shot themselves in the leg when they made the Bulldozer and let Intel do nothing for years, but as karma goes, Intel did the same when they stopped "innovate" and got stuck on 2 single products, skylake and the failed 10nm node. good for them that they have enough cash to throw on marketing and OEM designs for years to come (beside many other decent products they have outside of CPU's that make profit).

You really can't compare, Active cooling on X570 boards is there because latest trends in case airflow is fans stuck on glass leading to no actual airflow on the chipset from your case, they might as-well put some effort and designed a decent cooling solution (GB X570 Xtreme shows it possible) and making note that you need minimal airflow from your case, but they assume (and rightly I would say) that people would put the boards in those no airflow cases and instead of burning them to death they decided to just deal with the fan and peoples complain.

The Fan on my X570 Master is 99.9% of the time totally off and temps are under control from the case/GPU fans running. Its not perfect but its the price you pay sometimes for being an early adopter. the Chipset itself on Z490 don't support PCI-E 4.0 and will not support it, its the GPU PCI-E x16 stop that is "PCI-E 4.0 Ready", on X570 you already have PCI-E 4.0 (no matter how pointless it is for GPU's and current 4.0 ssd's) for both the chipset (hence the fan) and nVme/GPU slots. and for people complaining on X570 boards pricing, it seems that Z490 is not better.. it seems that beefy VRM (unlike most z370 boards that fire hazzard) and features does cost money..

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
It looks like Intel increased the core count, but drastically decreased the base clock to keep the TDPs under control. The turbo speeds look interesting, though we'll have to wait for the tests to see how long these processors can keep them up, or how far they have to go above TDP with the power consumption in order to keep the turbo frequencies stable. 125 W on the K variants looks dreadful already. My 4-core Kaby Lake i7 runs exactly on TDP (65 W) with an all-core turbo of 4 GHz, and this 10th gen is the same 14 nm process, so I don't have high hopes.

All in all, it's just another uninteresting generation that I'll skip. I'll see what the next one and Ryzen 4xxx brings. I don't need more than 4 cores for gaming just yet anyway.

Edit: as a sidenote, I'd rather have a reasonable base clock on a reasonable number of cores than a low base clock on a million core chip with mystery turbo version whatever.

Last edited:
i9-9900KF (16M cache, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.60 Ghz) $463
i7-10700KF (16M cache, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.80 GHz) $349
-$114 big savings

Also not that bad at ALL Core 4.00 GHz.
i5-10400F (12M cache, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 2.90 GHz) $157

Waiting for 7nm WillowCove 2022 Socket 1700
Thanks to AMD, you get more cores again. But if you take its AMD counterpart, the 3700X, it is sold under $300 on Newegg. This will be $350. Plusz 65W vs. 125W. A massive NO.

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Without effective/active VRM heatsinks on the Z490 platform, you're effectively stuck at stock speeds and without TVB/TBM3 because board manufacturers have been granted control over PL2. They won't enable ≥250W PL2 if they're not sure the VRM/cooling can handle it.

I'm sure reviewers will test 10c Comet Lake's extent of reliance on PL2 to even perform as advertised, let alone manual overclocking. One of the things it should reveal is whether Z490 motherboards "effectively require" active VRM cooling.

Your quick-to-judge reactions are a thin veil for your own fanboyism. Destructive criticism of my work seldom escapes my banstick; and casting aspersions on my professionalism on the basis of my personal comments (in the comments section), never escapes it. You have been warned.

System Name THE FORTRESS
Keyboard LOGITECH K800
Software WIN10 PRO 64
TBH, Its kinda sad that Intel's whole marketing is a meme for "look at me there is something I'm still good at"..
If that's sad then almost 2 decades as wannabe's must have been downright tragic for the opposition

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Wow, groupthink is a thing it seems.

So here's a little thought starter.

How does the i5-10400 (65W) stack up to the 3600 (65W)?

How about the i5-10500 (65W)?

How does the i5-10600 (65W) stack up to the 3600X (95W)?

These are all 6C/12T CPUs now and will co-exist at comparable price points. My thought is that in the midrange, Intel's new chips are going to clock AMD's 3XXX offerings (pun intended).

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10

You're paying for absolute best single threaded performance and stable mature platform out of the box. The release of Zen 2 was a lot of pain for the first three months for its early adopters. Intel solutions on the other hand are usually complete and fully functional out of the box and don't need a dozen of BIOS updates to make them work as the vendor intended.

Yes, Comet Lake desktop CPUs will run hot. The people who buy such systems usually know what they are paying for and what they are getting.

Absolute most pro e-athletes run Intel Core i9 9900KS CPUs. Deal with it! No one cares your rig has 64 cores if it gives you 20% less FPS at FHD than the top Intel part. No one.

Have you ever considered that "most people don't need more than four cores", because they didn't have an option to buy more than four cores up until ryzen? Have you ever considered that software is gearemore toward single thread and Intel NOT because it's the best option, but because Intel monopolized the industry for so long? You have individuals in this comments section talking about using a build for 5+ years... Do you really think four cores will be enough in even 2 years? Do you really think with AMD's momentum and stellar multi threaded performance, growing popularity that more and more software, including games, wont start using more threads?

No offense, but it's so uncanny, that i have to point it out that you're literally echoing what Intel had been telling us before ryzen: "All you need is four cores, all you need is single thread, etc". It was that hubris and ignorance that dethroned Intel and has them at the point of being a joke to enthusiasts, and you're spewing forth the same exact nonsense... Crazy

Have you ever considered that "most people don't need more than four cores", because they didn't have an option to buy more than four cores up until ryzen? Have you ever considered that software is gearemore toward single thread and Intel NOT because it's the best option, but because Intel monopolized the industry for so long? You have individuals in this comments section talking about using a build for 5+ years... Do you really think four cores will be enough in even 2 years? Do you really think with AMD's momentum and stellar multi threaded performance, growing popularity that more and more software, including games, wont start using more threads?

No offense, but it's so uncanny, that i have to point it out that you're literally echoing what Intel had been telling us before ryzen: "All you need is four cores, all you need is single thread, etc". It was that hubris and ignorance that dethroned Intel and has them at the point of being a joke to enthusiasts, and you're spewing forth the same exact nonsense... Crazy

I absolutely guarantee that not your real reason, just your pretext.... and if you'd take an hour to study social identity theory and in/out group psychology as it relates to brand loyalty, you can easily spot the textbook examples of people defending their irrational loyalty to brands with rational arguments, which as I previously stated, is not their true reasoning, only their pretext

System Name O-Clock
Processor Intel Core i9-9900K @ 52x/49x 8c8t
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Gene
Cooling Corsair H170i Elite Cappelix w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ @3900 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Black
Storage Samsung 983 ZET 960GB, 2x WD SN850X 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG259QM
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω, Asus SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25", Elgato Wave 1
Power Supply EVGA 1600 T2 w/ NF-A14 iPPC IP67 fan
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless (PMW3366)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Stickerbombed
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/search/submissions/permalink?userId=92615&cpuId=5773
A little off on the Celeron specs, they have 2MB L3 cache, not 3MB, at least that is what Intel ARK is stating.