• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2K Announces Mafia: Trilogy

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
2K and its Hangar 13 development studio today announced Mafia: Trilogy, a new collection featuring the only interactive entertainment series that lets players live the life of a gangster across three distinct eras of organized crime in America. Combined, the critically acclaimed Mafia crime dramas have sold-in more than 18 million units worldwide. Now, for the first time on modern consoles, experience all three entries of the revered action-adventure series together in one definitive organized crime saga.

Players who purchase Mafia: Trilogy digitally prior to August 28 will be able to access Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Mafia III: Definitive Edition immediately on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam, and will be able to download Mafia: Definitive Edition as soon as it becomes available on August 28. The Mafia: Trilogy physical edition will release in full on August 28, and is currently only planned for release in select EMEA and Asia regions. (For full release details, please refer to the Mafia: Trilogy fact sheet.)

Mafia: Trilogy includes:
  • Mafia: Definitive Edition - The built-from-the-ground-up remake of the beloved classic;
  • Mafia II: Definitive Edition - The ultra HD remaster of the fan favorite;
  • Mafia III: Definitive Edition - The re-introduction of the award-winning narrative masterpiece.
Mafia: Definitive Edition, Mafia II: Definitive Edition, and Mafia III: Definition Edition are also available for purchase individually. The Definitive Editions for Mafia II and Mafia III are available today within the Mafia: Trilogy and as standalone purchases on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam, and will be coming to the Epic Games Store and Stadia at a later date. Both Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Mafia III: Definitive Edition feature all original bonus add-on content, plus completely remastered 4K compatible visuals for Mafia II.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - the centerpiece of the collection - launches August 28 as a comprehensive, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up remake of the original Mafia, complete with an updated script filled with rich new dialogue, expanded backstories, and additional cutscenes; all-new gameplay sequences and features; the same stellar game engine that powered Mafia III's best-in-class cinematics; and other enhancements. It's the Mafia players remember, only much more.

"The original Mafia made such a lasting impact on how video games can tell serious stories, and we know how much the series' fans still revere it," said Haden Blackman, President and CCO at Hangar 13, who led the development of Mafia: Definitive Edition across the studio's offices in Brno and Prague, Czech Republic; Brighton, United Kingdom; and Novato, Calif. "Nearly 20 years after the Mafia series started, we now have an amazing opportunity to introduce this beloved game to a new generation of players and give longtime fans a chance to relive Tommy's story with a stellar modern presentation, as well as new story elements and gameplay features."

Players who pre-order Mafia: Definitive Edition - as well as players who purchase the digital version or pre-order the physical version of Mafia: Trilogy - prior to August 28 will receive "The Chicago Outfit" bonus add-on content for Mafia: Definitive Edition. This content pack includes:
  • Exclusive Player Outfit: The Don;
  • Exclusive Vehicle: Smith V12 Limousine;
  • Exclusive Weapon Skin: Gold Semi-Automatic.
Furthermore, players can sign up for a 2K Account to unlock these bonus items for each game:
  • Mafia: Definitive Edition: Black Cats Motorcycle Pack;
  • Mafia II: Definitive Edition: Made Man Pack;
  • Mafia III: Definitive Edition: Classico Three-piece Suit & IL Duca Revolver.
  • Mafia II: Definitive Edition will be automatically granted to all existing owners of Mafia II on Steam today at no additional cost. Additionally, all existing Mafia III owners on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam will be upgraded to Mafia III: Definitive Edition today at no additional cost. Customers who own a combination of titles will receive special reduced-price upgrade offers to complete their trilogy via in-game menus within each of the Mafia titles.

Developed by Hangar 13, Mafia: Trilogy, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Mafia II: Definitive Edition, and Mafia III: Definitive Edition are rated "M for Mature" by the ESRB. For screenshots, key art, and other visual assets, please visit newsroom.2k.com. To learn more, please refer to the Mafia: Trilogy fact sheet or visit MafiaGame.com, and stay tuned to @MafiaGame on Twitter for additional information on Mafia: Definitive Edition starting in early June.

Online Account (13+) required to access online features. See www.take2games.com/legal and www.take2games.com/privacy for additional details.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
Awesone! I have Mafia 2 & 3 on Steam (played 1 & 2), and had 1 on disk, but it's gone. I will surely get Mafia 1 Definitive Edition.

Last edited:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
when the lead character of a mafia game was made black, I lost interest. If it was a game about crips and bloods and they used Italians i would have done the same.

Well....that is mighty silly and unintelligent, but you do you man.

Well....that is mighty silly and unintelligent, but you do you man.

your just a pimple on my backside today aren't you, but then again it looks as if you spends most of your life here, 2485 and counting, lets shoot for 2486. I'm no fan of pc culture in my movies or my video games.

Last edited:
Processor i7-13700kf
Motherboard MSi Z690-A
Cooling cuplex kryos full copper @ Xylem D5 PWM + EK 360mm + 4xNB-eLoop B12-4 @ Aquareo6
Memory 2X16GB 6600Mhz CL34 G.Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT Ref.
Storage Samsung (980 PRO 2TB + 980 PRO 1TB + PM951 512GB)
Display(s) Benq XL2540K + Benq EX2510 + Sony 50W805b
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Beyerdinamics DT990 600ohm & Dali Zensor 5 @ Cambridge Audio CXA60
Power Supply Sharkoon CoolZero Silent Storm 850W
Mouse Zowie FK1
Keyboard Leopold Fc900r
when the lead character of a mafia game was made black, I lost interest. If it was a game about crips and bloods and they used Italians i would have done the same.
Im italian (living on italy), and just agree on that, also mafia3 was very bad on almost a lot of other things.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard EVGA 121-KS-E375
Cooling Stock (Temp.)
Memory GEIL 8192 MB X2 (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CL16-16-16 D4-2400
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (TU104-410)
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB & Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256GB
Display(s) LG 32" Widescreen
Case Corsair Carbide Series 400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX850 Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard DAS
Software Windows 10 20H2 64 Bit
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10

Why? Does mafia has to have italians just because the word comes from them? Russian mafia? Chinese? The yakuza? Those would be OK in your book?
I would understand not liking gameplay, story, voice acting, anything else, but a MC being black is the line? Dude...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Why? Does mafia has to have italians just because the word comes from them? Russian mafia? Chinese? The yakuza? Those would be OK in your book?
I would understand not liking gameplay, story, voice acting, anything else, but a MC being black is the line? Dude...

Its not helping immersive qualities, that is for sure. And Mafia 3 had trouble with that to begin with, so its fully understandable.

In the very same way as having a one armed prosthetic female soldier in WW2 is... well. Peculiar. It just doesn't make sense and its clear what motivated it. The goal was never to make an inspiring character here. The goal was adhering to popular trends and of a very brief period in our history, that has nothing to do with the game itself. Somehow kids need to 'identify' with ingame characters; wasn't it always the other way around? Did Rambo or the Terminator 'identify' with kids? Do we really need the Reddit and Twitter reality in our game releases? It changes daily and I like to keep the trolls where they belong thank you.

The most stunning counter I've heard to that is the defense of 'but there were lots of black dudes in the mob' or in the case of BFV 'lots of female soldiers'... as if somehow a stereotype needs correcting. No, idiots, that is why its a stereotype... No need for special snowflake nuance.

By the way... Chinese mafia is called Triads. Japanese Yakuza... and black 'mafia' would be gangs. So no, it has no place because the wording is simply wrong.

I'm no fan of pc culture in my movies or my video games.

This. The cringe level goes into the red immediately

Last edited:
System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold

the game is called Mafia, not Russian Mafia and it's aboyt the italian Mafia so yes it ought to have Italians
the same way that Yakuza games have Japanese characters. that's pc for the sake of pc and pisses a lot of people

Was answered before, but you can add this to your list : is Final Fantasy XIII a RPG ? Because you're not even having a player and keep switching tutorials until the end of the game, and having a huge Hub in the end.
Is it a good game ? Maybe, taste differs with each person.
Is it a Final Fantasy game ? Surely not. You can't even decide what to do as action, you just switch between 3 to 5 strategies of combat which are run by the game.

As said before : if you want to change the main storyline, change the title at least a bit, don't simply increment the number.
Do you imagine GTA becoming a FPS ? No. Doesn't matter what part of the game you reuse.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It wasn't about crips and bloods. It was about the time period in which the mafia in New Orleans was brought down in large part by the local black gangs in the city. This is pretty significant, because New Orleans was the birthplace of the Mafia in the U.S., and had the longest running syndicate by Italian immigrants in the U.S. And to this day, the local hoods are strong and violent enough that no crips or bloods have a foothold there.

It's a pretty fascinating story, and Hangar 13's take on it was actually pretty good. This wasn't about being "PC". It 's a pretty momentous (and unique) time period in the American Mafia's history.

*Before anyone notes that it was New Bordeaux, not New Orleans, Hangar 13 were pretty open about what city in 1968 that it was based on. I went around the city and found countless buildings that I recognized in the game, many of which I posted photos of in the Mafia 3 thread. The regions of the city all exist too, just different names and locations. They did a fair representation though of the districts, and obviously did good research on many of the buildings that pre-dated 1968.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
It wasn't about crips and bloods. It was about the time period in which the mafia in New Orleans was brought down in large part by the local black gangs in the city. This is pretty significant, because New Orleans was the birthplace of the Mafia in the U.S., and had the longest running syndicate by Italian immigrants in the U.S. And to this day, the local hoods are strong and violent enough that no crips or bloods have a foothold there.

It's a pretty fascinating story, and Hangar 13's take on it was actually pretty good. This wasn't about being "PC". It 's a pretty momentous (and unique) time period in the American Mafia's history.

*Before anyone notes that it was New Bordeaux, not New Orleans, Hangar 13 were pretty open about what city in 1968 that it was based on. I went around the city and found countless buildings that I recognized in the game, many of which I posted photos of in the Mafia 3 thread. The regions of the city all exist too, just different names and locations. They did a fair representation though of the districts, and obviously did good research on many of the buildings that pre-dated 1968.

I just learned something. That is interesting! And definitely in character in that case.

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I guess the Mafia 3 dis-likers should work on their own personal re-skin mod. lol

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Gotta say, I learned today that for some people mafia means only Italians. Whew, world is strange .
/s

But seriously though, organised crime is "mafia" outside of basically white collar crimes. Enough countries do not even have their own localised name for it, it is just mafia.
It is quite hard to shake the feeling that people did, in fact, have more issues with the MC's skin color in Mafia 3 than with the actual flaws of the game.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Gotta say, I learned today that for some people mafia means only Italians. Whew, world is strange .
/s

But seriously though, organised crime is "mafia" outside of basically white collar crimes. Enough countries do not even have their own localised name for it, it is just mafia.
It is quite hard to shake the feeling that people did, in fact, have more issues with the MC's skin color in Mafia 3 than with the actual flaws of the game.

It is a powerful thing, stereotyping. I admit defeat.