• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces its B550 Motherboard Series: ROG, TUF Gaming, and Prime

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS today announced new motherboards featuring the latest AMD B550 chipset that bring the potential of PCI Express 4.0 to mainstream builds everywhere. AMD B550 motherboards enable 20 general-purpose PCIe 4.0 lanes from 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen desktop processors. The primary PCIe slot on all new ASUS B550 boards offers 16 lanes of PCIe 4.0 connectivity, and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen parts feature as many as four USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports running at up to 10 Gbps direct from the CPU itself.

ASUS also has exciting features to enhance its B550 motherboards like WiFi 6, 2.5 Gbps Ethernet, robust power delivery, increased DRAM speed and BIOS Flashback. The B550 chip itself gets an upgrade to PCIe 3.0 for its built-in lanes. These upgrades make B550 a tantalizing platform for mainstream builders throughout the world.

ROG Strix and TUF Gaming B550 series motherboards exclusively feature AI noise-canceling microphone software. Supporting 3.5 mm, USB, or Bluetooth headsets, this software utility leverages a massive deep-learning database to preserve the sound of the user's voice while eliminating distracting keyboard clatter, mouse clicks, and other forms of environmental noise.

ASUS engineers and designers have produced a grand total of 11 B550 motherboards across three families. ROG Strix boards fill out the top end with innovative features like efficient and cool-running VRMs, enhanced audio, and 2.5 Gbps Ethernet and WiFi 6 connectivity by way of Intel controllers.

TUF Gaming boards blend high-end features with a battle-tested, reliable and attainable package, while the Prime series rolls up all the features needed for all-around builds. For further details about the complete ASUS B550 lineup, visit https://edgeup.asus.com/2020/b550-motherboard-guide-asus-rog-strix-tuf-gaming-prime.

"We are seeing increasing user demands for flexible systems that perform well in a multitude of tasks from gaming to content creation more than ever before," said Chris Kilburn, Corporate Vice President and General Manager, Client Component Business Unit, AMD. "AMD is excited to bring the power of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen desktop processors and cutting-edge PCIe 4.0 support to the mainstream users with our latest AMD B550 chipset. From ROG Strix to ASUS Prime and everything in-between from our partners at ASUS, AMD is confident these new B550 platforms will provide flexibility and power never seen before on a mainstream platform."

ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
ASUS built ROG Strix B550-E Gaming with an eye towards AMD's high-performance processors and dual or triple expansion card setups. The AM4 socket is flanked by a 14+2 power stage VRM for reliable performance under sustained loads from many-core CPUs, while reinforced PCIe x16 SafeSlots support multi-GPU action in two-way SLI or three-way CrossFireX setups for gamers and creators alike.

Strix B550-E Gaming's six fan headers and dedicated AIO and pump headers allow for setups as simple or intricate as a given build requires. Q-Fan software controls with automatic fan-speed detection and multiple presets make it easy to keep both temperatures and noise levels down. Dual M.2 slots can take in SSDs up to 110 mm long, both covered by heatsinks to prevent thermal throttling under intense I/O loads. Strix B550-E Gaming also features an Intel-powered 2.5 Gbps Ethernet and WiFi 6 controllers, Bluetooth 5.1 support is on tap for wireless headsets, phones and tablets.

USB connectivity is particularly plentiful on Strix B550-E: it includes three USB 3.2 Gen 2 connectors (one Type-C and two Type-A), along with a smattering of USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 2.0 ports. ASUS has included a USB 3.2 Gen 2 front-panel connector for the latest crop of cases.

The high-end SupremeFX S1220A audio chip comes with a handy companion in the form of a USB-C Audio port for auto-detection of the device signal type, so the port can be used for both Type-C audio devices and standard USB connectivity as needed.

A total of four RGB headers are available — two standard headers and two Gen 2 addressable hook-ups with individual LED control, reduced latency and automatic configuration support. All those diodes can be turned off with one click to give the board a stealthy black-ops look. Additional touches include BIOS FlashBack for updating firmware without a CPU and FlexKey reset button remapping.

ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)
ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) proves the point for builders who want a performance-oriented board with a healthy dose of luxury. The 12+2 power stage VRM is ready for top Ryzen chips, and 8+4-pin ProCool auxiliary power connectors with solid pins ensure steady and stable power delivery to those power stages.

This model includes Intel I255-V 2.5 Gbps Ethernet connectivity and WiFi 6 support from an Intel AX200 adapter, while the pristine SupremeFX S1220A codec makes an encore for superior audio experiences.

Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) follows the distinctive visual standard of the ROG Strix family and looks plenty sharp on its own thanks to the eye-catching ROG eye logo and recessed cybertext patterning, and an integrated I/O shield. For customization, a user can add plenty of lights with RGB LED strip headers in both regular and Gen 2 addressable flavors - all with Aura Sync support for easy configuration.

ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
ROG Strix B550-I Gaming is designed for small builds with big ambitions. By design, Mini-ITX makes room for a single PCIe 4.0 x16 slot, but the compact form factor has other advantages. Strix B550-I Gaming can drive compatible DIMMs at speeds up to 5100 MHz and beyond by taking advantage of the shorter trace length between the memory slots and the CPU. The 8+2 power stage VRM is a fine fit for 3rd gen Ryzen chips. Active cooling on the VRM and an eight-pin connector with our ProCool II design ensures that power delivery remains stable in the tight confines of Mini-ITX enclosures.

The preinstalled I/O panel is kitted out with USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C and Type-A ports, an Intel I225-V 2.5 Gbps Ethernet connector, and an Intel AX200 WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 adapter.

Small machines are more likely to have fast external storage attached, so ASUS engineers added a front-panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 connector for the latest cases. The 3.5 mm connectors are all LED lit in unique colors to allow for easy identification when connecting analog speakers, headsets or microphones. There's a companion noise-filtered USB-C Audio port for corresponding microphones and headsets, too.

ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus features 8+2 DrMOS voltage regulator module and the multiple generously-sized heatsinks atop the VRM, chipset and M.2 slots ensure all primary components stay cool under load. The main PCIe 4.0 x16 slot is backed by SafeSlot reinforcement for extra-heavy graphics cards, while a ProCool auxiliary connector with solid-core pins offers added peace of mind when using power-hungry CPUs.

The two M.2 slots both accept devices as long as 110 mm, while the duet of PCIe x16 slots supports CrossFireX configurations. The rear panel includes USB ports of every modern type, and that loadout can be further expanded with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity thanks to an onboard header. A BIOS FlashBack button rests near one of the ports for CPU-less UEFI upgrades.

TUF Gaming B550-Plus comes with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet connectivity and there's an M.2 E-key slot available for a WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 upgrade. The Realtek S1200A audio codec in this model is further enhanced by DTS Custom support for headset 3D surround-sound virtualization, making movies and compatible games come alive with pinpoint-accurate positional audio.

The gray-and-black TUF Gaming aesthetic and its yellow accents is distinctive on its own, but this color palette also makes for a great canvas for additional lighting. A Gen 2 addressable RGB LED header and two standard headers can be wired to additional strips for easy visual customization.

TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi)
ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi) takes many of the features of TUF Gaming B550-Plus and reconfigures them for the smaller microATX footprint. This board keeps the same pairs of PCIe x16 and M.2 slots as its ATX sibling.

The main difference is that one of the M.2 slots takes in standard 80 mm devices instead of longer 110 mm units. In exchange, this model offers a more attractive price tag to go with its trimmed dimensions.

TUF Gaming B550M-Plus comes in two variants: with or without an Intel AX200 WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 controller and antennas. No matter which is chosen, the user enjoys 2.5 Gbps Ethernet connectivity, Realtek S1200A audio with DTS Custom support, and a host of fan and RGB LED headers that includes Gen 2 addressable strip connectors.

ASUS Prime B550-Plus
The top-of-the-line ASUS Prime B550-Plus motherboard is ready to power a mid-range gaming rig or serve as a solid foundation for an AMD-powered productivity system. This model is right at home powering midrange Ryzen chips, and it comes fitted with heatsinks atop the VRM and chipset to ensure stability.

The dual PCIe x16 slots support CrossFireX if a user needs dual-GPU action for their system, while the duo of M.2 slots accepts 110 mm drives. If the USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports around back aren't enough, the optional ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card can be hooked up to the provided header for even more peripheral bandwidth. The neutral palette exhibited by Prime B550-Plus is understated enough to fit into any build, but it's also a fine canvas for deployment under colored case lighting.

ASUS Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi)
Space in offices and bedrooms is often at a premium, making ASUS Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi) a better option to go into places where an ATX build might not. This variation on Prime B550-Plus offers nearly the same specs but uses the compact microATX form factor.

Due to the WiFi 6 standard, this motherboard is now perfectly viable to use the airwaves in situations where users would previously need a cable. For that reason, ASUS offers Prime B550M-A with Gigabit Ethernet only or in a version with an Intel AX200 WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 adapter.

ASUS Prime B550M-K
A compact microATX form factor lets builders save on space without sacrificing expandability, and both the main PCIe x16 slot and M.2 slot are wired directly to the processor with latest-gen PCIe 4.0 connectivity for maximum bandwidth with next-gen devices.

The board can take in two M.2 devices, one of them of the longer 110 mm variety. The rear I/O panel contains two USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports along with four USB 3.2 Gen 1 connectors, ensuring that attached peripherals enjoy plenty of bandwidth. HDMI, DVI-D and D-sub ports give Prime B550M-K plenty of versatility for processors with integrated graphics.

AVAILABILITY AND PRICING
  • ROG Strix B550-E Gaming will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $279.99 USD.
  • ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $209.99 USD.
  • ROG Strix B550-F Gaming will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $189.99 USD.
  • ROG Strix B550-I Gaming will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $229.99 USD.
  • TUF Gaming B550-Plus will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $169.99 USD.
  • TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi) will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $179.99 USD.
  • TUF Gaming B550M-Plus will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $159.99 USD.
  • Prime B550-Plus will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $149.99 USD.
  • Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi) will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $149.99 USD.
  • Prime B550M-A will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America for $134.99 USD.
  • Prime B550M-K will be available on June 16th 2020 in North America. Price will be available soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I really want to see the Prime Board, If it's true that the board is going to be 150$ it may be my next board

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
That STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI looks decent enough for me unless there's little difference to the B550-E, then I'll take the "E" variant.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Some of those B550 are making their x570 counterpart look old...

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
That ITX board looks quite nice, but I really want to know if it has one or two m.2 slots. Anyone?

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
That ITX board looks quite nice, but I really want to know if it has one or two m.2 slots. Anyone?
It does :
1590083648875.png

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex

B550-I Strix shares its board layout, cooling and PCB with the X570-I Strix. Good news is, 1 M.2 on the front, theres no PCH underneath the front M.2 drive, and there's another M.2 on the back just like with the B450/X470 and X570 Strix ITX. Bad news is, it looks to be identical to the X570, which means theres a fan hiding under that shroud, because both the PCH and VRMs reside under there. That is, unless Asus chose for some reason to reuse the layout and the shroud while going out of its way to take the fan out.

Asus also seems to have a chronic problem with remembering to put the thermal pad on the PCH of the X570-I Strix. Given that this board is pretty much identical, I'd certainly hope that Asus has since gotten its shit together.

Last edited:
Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
B550-I Strix shares its board layout, cooling and PCB with the X570-I Strix. Good news is, 1 M.2 on the front, theres no PCH underneath the front M.2 drive, and there's another M.2 on the back just like with the B450/X470 and X570 Strix ITX. Bad news is, it looks to be identical to the X570, which means theres a fan hiding under that shroud, because both the PCH and VRMs reside under there. That is, unless Asus chose for some reason to reuse the layout and the shroud while going out of its way to take the fan out.

Asus also seems to have a chronic problem with remembering to put the thermal pad on the PCH of the X570-I Strix. Given that this board is pretty much identical, I'd certainly hope that Asus has since gotten its shit together.

It does better than its X570 cousin - it has an internal USB-C header port, which the X570 Strix lacks. I'm rather tempted, right now. Not so happy on the Intel 2.5GbE (it's flawed, and silicon fix is required, but will not come out until later this year. With a Ryzen 8 core, I could care less about the tiny difference in CPU usage between a Realtek and Intel NIC).

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

Doesn't the strix have the chipset directly beneath the m.2 slot? I thought only the C8F had the PCH behind the rear I/O. Still, two m.2 slots and a much lower power chipset than X570 sounds like an excellent thing for me. And that chipset/VRM fan can in all likelihood be disconnected if the BIOS doesn't allow for setting it to switch off unless needed, given the much lower heat output of this chipset.
Thanks!

Processor 3700X
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
It does better than its X570 cousin - it has an internal USB-C header port, which the X570 Strix lacks. I'm rather tempted, right now. Not so happy on the Intel 2.5GbE (it's flawed, and silicon fix is required, but will not come out until later this year. With a Ryzen 8 core, I could care less about the tiny difference in CPU usage between a Realtek and Intel NIC).
I'm wondering about the impact of that issue - I get that it affects speeds, but by how much? if it's still, say, 2Gbps, does it matter as long as it's "free"?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Doesn't the strix have the chipset directly beneath the m.2 slot? I thought only the C8F had the PCH behind the rear I/O. Still, two m.2 slots and a much lower power chipset than X570 sounds like an excellent thing for me. And that chipset/VRM fan can in all likelihood be disconnected if the BIOS doesn't allow for setting it to switch off unless needed, given the much lower heat output of this chipset.

Thanks!

You're right, the PCH is under the M.2. Looks like the B550 takes the VRM section from the X570 and the M.2 heatsink from the B450.

As to the fan, it could very well be a recycled shroud. The design on the X570 has subtle hints as to the location of the fan, which are present here as it is the same design, but the fan is mounted on the heatsink itself. That said, this board costs $200+, and I'd be surprised if the lazy piece of shit Asus would go to the effort of not putting the fan there.

Also, 2 C on the back panel. One's hiding under the audio jacks.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
You're right, the PCH is under the M.2. Looks like the B550 takes the VRM section from the X570 and the M.2 heatsink from the B450.

As to the fan, it could very well be a recycled shroud. The design on the X570 has subtle hints as to the location of the fan, which are present here as it is the same design, but the fan is mounted on the heatsink itself. That said, this board costs $200+, and I'd be surprised if the lazy piece of shit Asus would go to the effort of not putting the fan there.

Also, 2 C on the back panel. One's hiding under the audio jacks.
You can see the fan in the photo showing the rear I/O in @jeremyshaw's link - it's clearly there, seen from the side as a hunk of blackish grey plastic. But as I said, either it can be set to shut off below a thermal threshold, or it could likely be entirely safely be disconnected (unless you're OCing heavily) on a board like this. This doesn't have a ~15W chipset that needs constant cooling, and can likely handle the VRM's heat output passively unless you're really pushing it.

Also, a very interesting note from the spec sheet in that link:
Thunderbolt 31 x internal header

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
You can see the fan in the photo showing the rear I/O in @jeremyshaw's link - it's clearly there, seen from the side as a hunk of blackish grey plastic. But as I said, either it can be set to shut off below a thermal threshold, or it could likely be entirely safely be disconnected (unless you're OCing heavily) on a board like this. This doesn't have a ~15W chipset that needs constant cooling, and can likely handle the VRM's heat output passively unless you're really pushing it.

Also, a very interesting note from the spec sheet in that link:

For this, unfortunately.

Some models even include a header for hooking up our ThunderboltEX 3-TR card in case high-end audio interfaces, A/V gear, or external storage arrays come into play.

It's a PCIe x1 add in card, which needs an separate connector to the motherboard.

I need a new ITX board and it's harder to decide than it should be. I can't use Gigabyte boards due to the socket placement. B450 boards are left to the mercy of the vendors providing properly made BIOS updates. X570 are outrageously expensive, and now B550 likely to be the same. Only saving grace is MSI's B550I, but they need to get their BIOS affairs in order.

Processor 3700X
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Intel themselves claim it can go down to 1-10Mbps.

Oh, crap. No thank you.
For this, unfortunately.

It's a PCIe x1 add in card, which needs an separate connector to the motherboard.

I need a new ITX board and it's harder to decide than it should be. I can't use Gigabyte boards due to the socket placement. B450 boards are left to the mercy of the vendors providing properly made BIOS updates. X570 are outrageously expensive, and now B550 likely to be the same. Only saving grace is MSI's B550I, but they need to get their BIOS affairs in order.
Yeah, that's less than ideal, but still expected, and better than nothing for those who want it - particularly with the option to use a bifurcation riser and run both a GPU and this TB3 AIC off the x16 slot even in ITX. Sure beats the ASrock X570 ITX where you have to sacrifice one m.2 for PCIe support. (Also, wouldn't it need to be a PCIe x4 AIC, given that TB3 runs four lanes of PCIe?)

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Oh, crap. No thank you.

Yeah, that's less than ideal, but still expected, and better than nothing for those who want it - particularly with the option to use a bifurcation riser and run both a GPU and this TB3 AIC off the x16 slot even in ITX. Sure beats the ASrock X570 ITX where you have to sacrifice one m.2 for PCIe support. (Also, wouldn't it need to be a PCIe x4 AIC, given that TB3 runs four lanes of PCIe?)

It is x4, yeah. But bifurcation only works for split cases and cases with 3 slots, unless you want that add in card just lying around in some corner of the case.

At least the ASRock has official Thunderbolt support. Having one M.2 makes less sense now that B550 has upgraded to 3.0 lanes, but you have to remember that in the 400-series generation, the ITX boards with two M.2 slots had to bandwidth share the second slot. The second slot now supporting SATA is a godsend; you couldn't pay me to cram a hot running bare skinned NVMe behind the back of the board in my M1, even with the dedicated cutout.

Processor 3700X
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
@tabascosauz My M1 was fine with only having a back M.2 slot, running a Samsung 960EVO (later 970 Pro). Even my Dan A4 SFX was fine, too, and the M.2 NVMe SSD was crammed right against a PCIe riser cable. Of course, this is my experience and usage, which may not align with yours!

That being said, I don't really run a lot of heavy SSD tasks. At most, some video editing in Davinci Resolve, some data science. Nothing that really pounds the SSD day in and day out. Yes, it will reach 70C+ and throttle, but not to any noticeable amount (in terms of performance). After a while, I stopped adding M.2 heatsinks onto my M1 build, and when I moved to the Dan A4, I didn't care at all.

I do wish TB3 was a bit more out there, but having 2.5Gbe is somewhat acceptable to me, too. I just want something faster than 1GbE to my NAS. 1GbE is maxed out by the 5400RPM HDDs I have in my NAS, which is ridiculous.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is x4, yeah. But bifurcation only works for split cases and cases with 3 slots, unless you want that add in card just lying around in some corner of the case.

At least the ASRock has official Thunderbolt support. Having one M.2 makes less sense now that B550 has upgraded to 3.0 lanes, but you have to remember that in the 400-series generation, the ITX boards with two M.2 slots had to bandwidth share the second slot. The second slot now supporting SATA is a godsend; you couldn't pay me to cram a hot running bare skinned NVMe behind the back of the board in my M1, even with the dedicated cutout.
To the first point: Not if your GPU is a single slot water cooled card ;)

To the second: I entirely agree, I never liked Asus' Jerry-rigged dual m.2 system for their 400-series boards. But on the other hand the Asrock was the only X570 ITX without two m.2 slots, which I'd say is a serious bummer for a premium platform like that. Sure, you could run a very fast TB3 SSD, but those enclosures cost more than a good 1TB SSD, so that's a poor alternative.

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
@Turmania hopefully prices are within reach.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling Cryorig C7
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz [DDR4]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G
Storage Western Digital 1TB 5200RPM HDD / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD / Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD
Case Corsair Crystal 280X Black
The E-model looks great, I'd be down for that. Although, I'd like some more info about potential X670 boards before diving in to B550. Given this is AM4's last hurrah, I'm not entirely convinced X670 will even be a thing but I've yet to see concrete information to confirm one way or another.

@Chaitanya big yikes. X570 prices over here at minimum, say, the AORUS X570 ELITE is at MYR1100 while ASUS ROG X570-E goes for MYR1500+. I hope when the B550s reaches here, it will be around MYR500-MYR900 range coz more than that, I rather stick with B450, update the BIOS to support 4th gen Ryzen (if vendors ever releases it)