• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Plans to Create PS5 Exclusive Games With No PS4 Backwards Compatibility

Troll question here: How can you "invest heavily" in a console?

The PS4 was $399.99 on release. My CPU alone was more than that and my GPU was almost twice that. How the bloody hell can you invest HEAVILY in something that's sole argument is being CHEAP?!?

For Sony there's fee to include games to be put on the platform. There's fee's for the online service. And there's transaction fee's in games that offer ingame buying. It's a big business and the trend pretty much shifted from selling just one copy towards a complete digital platform.

Console's did only had one resolution to work with or on. So it's pretty easy to sqeeze out every bit the console has to offer. As for the Jaguar 8 core PS4 CPU: it requires devs to fully focus on spreading the amount of threads over different core's, otherwise it will work bad. Simular as with the PS3's CELL Cpu. Games that ran bad on the CELL CPU was pretty much due to only utilitizing one SPE and not all 7. The 8th was disabled to keep the yields up.

It's why you see an antic Bulldozer FX CPU still able to cope up with today's games. It's because the complete PS4 ecosystem with a slower 8 core jaguar is being applied to PC these days.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Troll question here: How can you "invest heavily" in a console?

The PS4 was $399.99 on release. My CPU alone was more than that and my GPU was almost twice that. How the bloody hell can you invest HEAVILY in something that's sole argument is being CHEAP?!?

Holy money bags :)

I agree. You absolutely want game developers to be using the new hardware to make better games instead of dumbing everything down so that it can run on obsolete hardware.

hmmmm another long time TR guy?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I can see the same happening with XSX eventually. If not, then will gaming actually move forward, or will everything still get designed to run on crappy old XboxOne hardware as the lowest common denominator? I don’t think it’s a simple matter of scaling here, either. I don’t know if developers will take full advantage of Zen2 and RDNA2 if they know they also need it to work on Jaguar and semi-Polaris It’s not how consoles generations have ever worked, but I bet folks would be happy to bring their old titles to their new console.

It’s not like current gen consoles will go obsolete the day PS5 and XSX launch anyway. It’s going to take some compelling titles to sell the next gen, or maybe people will just gradually take the plunge to get improved load times and performance gains on legacy games. Maybe just getting 60FPS would be a big plus for FPS players.

who cares about consoles?
all they bring is visual downgrades to PC games presented as masterpieces.
remember te watchdogs and divsion fiasco?
because ps4 couldn't even dream to handle the details presented before the games' releases, they were downgraded even on PC on sony's dime.
CONSOLES = EVOLUTION CANCER, just like Apple and few other maggots.

Last edited:
I get what Sony is saying but I'm pretty sure some games already have the feature they're adding....It's just not available for their current console...and I'm pretty sure Microsoft is giving the owners of those games the update with the new Xbox.

As an owner of both current consoles I have to say it looks like Sony is flopping this gen hardcore....My wife who really plays the PS4 heard this and said "So were just getting a new Xbox"....as opposed to both again.
I don't think back porting a game is going to be as challenging as it used to given that the consoles are pretty much using the same computer hardware with some level of customization. If this is true, it is certainly disappointing for those who have invested substantial money to build a big game library in Sony's ecosystem. It does make sense to retain another PS4 just for the sake of playing some old games with the introduction of PS5. But then again, Sony can get away with this because they tend to have a strong lineup of exclusive titles which you can get nowhere else.

On the contrary, I feel Xbox have to take the approach of allowing back porting because they don't have a strong lineup of exclusive titles. Most games you find on Xbox, you find them on PS and PC as well. I guess to kind of make it more attractive to get an Xbox, they will need to have a strong backward support to strengthen their game lineup.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I don't think back porting a game is going to be as challenging as it used to given that the consoles are pretty much using the same computer hardware with some level of customization. If this is true, it is certainly disappointing for those who have invested substantial money to build a big game library in Sony's ecosystem. It does make sense to retain another PS4 just for the sake of playing some old games with the introduction of PS5. But then again, Sony can get away with this because they tend to have a strong lineup of exclusive titles which you can get nowhere else.

On the contrary, I feel Xbox have to take the approach of allowing back porting because they don't have a strong lineup of exclusive titles. Most games you find on Xbox, you find them on PS and PC as well. I guess to kind of make it more attractive to get an Xbox, they will need to have a strong backward support to strengthen their game lineup.
I don’t pick up that Sony is saying that PS5 won’t play PS4 titles. It’s that PS4 won’t handle PS5 titles. If this is the case, you buy a PS5 and your PS4 library comes with you. Again, I can see MS going this way, too. They just so bombed the XboxOne launch that I think they are going out of their way to offer assurances this time. If not, future titles will only look so good, since they will have to be able to run on vastly different hardware specs. As long as Sony maintains PS4 BC, then I don’t see much issue with their approach. They are calling it PS5—not PS4 Pro + or anything that would suggest it’s just an improved PS4. It’s a big performance advance, just not a significant departure in architecture. This has the potential to be better than previous generational console launches, as BC should be easily possible this time.