• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Invests $330 Million into Micro-LED Factory

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The information has been circulating the industry about Apple and its plans to integrate Micro-LED technology into its products for some time now. Micro-LED is a new display technology that allows for much better characteristics of panels like higher brightness, fuller color gamut, and higher dynamic range. The technology also offers a higher refreshing rate, wider viewing angles, and lower power consumption. Being that Micro-LED display is physically thinner, it will allow for more portable devices and it will leave more room for other components.

According to the report from CENS, a Taiwanese media, Apple is investing $330 million into a new Micro-LED factory for Apple devices. A future factory located in Taiwan is seeing major investments from the company. Being that Apple plans to use Micro-LED displays in its future products like iPad Pro and MacBook Pro, it is expected to see this move from them. However, Apple isn't doing it alone. They have partnered with Epistar, Taiwan's biggest LED producer and Taiwanese LCD panel maker, AU Optronics. These two are experienced makers of panels so they should help Apple successfully launch and operate manufacturing facilities.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
MicroLED at this stage (and especially for Apple) is more likely to replace the backlight technology rather than for an actual emissive MicroLED panel. It is a simple question of pixel density where MicroLED is far too big for pixels, even more so when we are talking about mobile stuff like iPads or MacBooks. At the same time MicroLED can be used to create a lot more FALD zones for a panel that definitely helps with HDR and haloing.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Shit, Apple added rounded corners on a diode.

Now we're going to have patented microleds in 2 years, just you wait.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
What brilliant name will Apple come up with.
My guess is Retina display with iLEDs. :rolleyes:

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
What brilliant name will Apple come up with.
My guess is Retina display with iLEDs. :rolleyes:

maybe but "i" was initially meaning internet and later was added to products; will be odd to see this at led as is not a final product; another option will be Appled ...

Till we see the final product being released, it is pointless to know what Apple have invested in. There are quite a number of supposed Apple investments that went up in smokes before. Sadly, the current Apple is not one that pushes the envelop much. At the slightest feeling that its not going to work, they will bail out.

I write about display tech. Micro LED technology is an incredible leap forward in display performance. Zero ghosting, instant response times, extreme durability and life-like HDR, to name a few. You have never seen displays like what are coming down the pipe. In many ways the initial implementations will be limited by controllers and soon thereafter the interface with the host system like DP / HDMI cabling. While prices will start high they will eventually hit a much lower floor than what is possible through OLED and traditional LCD variations.

This wipes the floor with all previous display technologies.

Very exciting times.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I write about display tech. Micro LED technology is an incredible leap forward in display performance. Zero ghosting, instant response times, extreme durability and life-like HDR, to name a few. You have never seen displays like what are coming down the pipe. In many ways the initial implementations will be limited by controllers and soon thereafter the interface with the host system like DP / HDMI cabling. While prices will start high they will eventually hit a much lower floor than what is possible through OLED and traditional LCD variations.

This wipes the floor with all previous display technologies.

Very exciting times.

So far Samsung can't go small enough with it. I'm not holding my breath that Apple will manage that. But who knows.

MicroLED isn't new and neither are its challenges. The only reason it is suddenly feasible in some companies' minds is because OLED is taking over the market eventually if they don't. And they don't own the OLED license. Plus the fact OLED is not (yet) quite as versatile as LCD, its still subpar for any frozen image really and also not suitable for advertising and other bright-lit environments (not bright enough).

maybe but "i" was initially meaning internet and later was added to products; will be odd to see this at led as is not a final product; another option will be Appled ...

iCroLed!

So far Samsung can't go small enough with it. I'm not holding my breath that Apple will manage that. But who knows.

MicroLED isn't new and neither are its challenges. The only reason it is suddenly feasible in some companies' minds is because OLED is taking over the market eventually if they don't. And they don't own the OLED license. Plus the fact OLED is not (yet) quite as versatile as LCD, its still subpar for any frozen image really and also not suitable for advertising and other bright-lit environments (not bright enough).

MicroLED is really a manufacturing challenge. The move to MicroLED is not because OLED is taking over the market. The move to MicroLED is because it's far superior to OLED.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
MicroLED is really a manufacturing challenge. The move to MicroLED is not because OLED is taking over the market. The move to MicroLED is because it's far superior to OLED.

nom nom

I can't wait, well we have like 7 years to wait, the 5 grand models, then the 3 grand, then the 2 grand, and so on... lol