• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Has The Epic Games Store Helped or Hindered the PC Gaming Market?

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I use EGS mainly for the free games. I've only spent money on two games through their storefront: Borderlands 3 on launch day (which was not nearly as fun as BL2 IMO, felt more like a BL2 DLC almost, but that discussion is for another day) and Control during the recent mega sale they had going on (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I'm mainly concerned with getting the best deal. A majority of the games I "own" are on Steam, but that's mainly because they were purchased there before I started shopping around, or that's just where the game I purchased through a third party activates. I use gg.deals almost daily looking for anything decent on a good sale. My friends and I mainly use Steam for it's voice chat functionality, but have been making use of discord more and more as of late on account of the continued issues we have with it (mainly dropping out of group chats/disconnecting in the middle of a game for seemingly no reason). I've downloaded GOG Galaxy and have connected my accounts, but haven't yet broken the habit of just launching the games from their respective launcher.

I appreciate the free games from EGS, although a majority of them, especially the smaller titles, are just added to my account and then left untouched for the foreseeable future. As others have mentioned, although the EGS UI is simpler than Steam's, it lacks features that I deem essential - achievements, user review, shopping cart, etc. It also can be clunky to use. However, Steam's UI I find very cluttered and filled with things I don't make use of (marketplace, community, etc.). I guess it all just points to GOG Galaxy. Will have to make a habit out of using that instead.

I'm pretty sure I've used it when Steam's servers were down though, @NRANM. Doesn't really make a ton of sense otherwise. Maybe you experienced a bug?
If Steam is already logged in when servers go down, there are no issues. The problem is when the servers are down, and you need to login with your name and password. I couldn't. I remember reading somewhere that if Steam is set to remember the user's password and login automatically upon startup, then with a change in a configuration file, one could force it to go into offline mode, although I also remember reading that this was patched out. I couldn't test it anyway, as my Steam is set to not remember my password. So I could not play any games until the Steam servers came back online. It could have indeed been a bug, although I doubt it. May have to try and artificially block Steam's access via firewall so that I can test this further.
Anyhoo, this behavior (intentional or bug) struck me as kind of similar to an always online DRM.

Ideally, the marketplaces should compete on price, features, ease of use, etc.
At least in the ease of use department I would say the Epic launcher has Steam beaten: its UI is simpler and cleaner. Granted, the Epic launcher has fewer features, which makes creating a simple interface easier, whereas Steam is much more feature-rich, so it is much more of a challenge to produce a solid UI, but I still think Steam's UI could use a bit of work.

TL,DR - Exclusivity agreements harm PC gaming overall.
I have yet to see any conclusive evidence to support this claim.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Realistically the average sale price of new games is closer to MSRP for a longer time for most of what appears on EGS. You can also see it in the price of grey market keys. They barely ever drop below EGS normal pricing.

But, that is a good thing. Effectively, EGS has a stronger hold on key distribution (its not the free for all that you have on Steam with keys and gifts flying all over the place, regional sales, etc.) and this echoes in the price point. They kind of placed the illegal key sellers out of the market as well. Win? For publishers it most certainly is.
Oh, I took the higher prices as in MSRP, not average. But they still go down during sales, so it's not like they're just keeping it at MSRP all the time. Also, I don't think EGS has a similar key distribution feature like Steam has. Looking at their roadmap board, the Humble integration is as far as they go as external sellers right now.

And yeah, I also agree that this is a good thing. Steam opened a pandora's box with their constant sales and key distribution and it's not usual to find games discounted on a (too) frequent basis, even recent ones. While I love me some good deals, I ocasionally feel a little guilty/scummy for underpaying for a game.

If Steam is already logged in when servers go down, there are no issues. The problem is when the servers are down, and you need to login with your name and password. I couldn't. I remember reading somewhere that if Steam is set to remember the user's password and login automatically upon startup, then with a change in a configuration file, one could force it to go into offline mode, although I also remember reading that this was patched out. I couldn't test it anyway, as my Steam is set to not remember my password. So I could not play any games until the Steam servers came back online. It could have indeed been a bug, although I doubt it. May have to try and artificially block Steam's access via firewall so that I can test this further.
Anyhoo, this behavior (intentional or bug) struck me as kind of similar to an always online DRM.
That sounds like an interesting test. I would be very disappointed if that's the way Steam operates.

Mpt

Quite frankly I'm shocked that nearly half of people voting here still cling to the inane idea that EGS is somehow "harming" the gaming market? How? By taking profits away from Steam? Boo-frickin'-hoo. Steam is not our friend. Valve is not our friend. Steam has grown into a good platform through years and years of users pushing Valve to give users fair dues and necessary features, not through some benevolent attitude. And Valve is well known for fleecing developers and treating them terribly - including forcing them to take part in sales where the entire price cut comes out of the delvelopers' cut.

Yes, I get that it's simpler and easier to keep all of your games in one place, and that keeping friend lists and the like matched up across different services is a hassle. But is it that big of a deal? No. We just need publishers and platform holders (like Valve) to not block cross-play and not limit fundamental features to only the same platform. Beyond that, just install GOG Galaxy and keep track of all your games and friends that way.

Competition is good for everyone. Period.

My sentiments exactly. I’ve never understood the hate towards epic it’s pretty good as a store and it’s quick plus I’ve never had to uninstall and reinstall it like ive had to with steam when an updates broken some of my games. the love of steam I find weird as let’s face it steam caused a loss of ownership of our games in the first place.

Wait, you do?!
Oh yes. My experience as been that you can run offline for a week before being required to login online again. Not really "offline" if it requires an online login...

Yep I love GOG. They are my #1 storefront. Steam is #2.
Same here. Overwhelmingly GOG is #1!

To be fair, EGS is growing on me, but it's it's slow going.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I despise Epic. Not for creating an opposing/rival storefront to steam - I like Valve’s games as much as the next person but I am no Steam fanboy. I pay the lower price between Steam, GOG, and (rarely) Origin/Ubi. I don’t dislike Epic for having a more basic platform. Not even for their ties to Tencent (though that does give me pause).

No, I hate Epic because of the **** exclusivity agreements with developers. That stifles price competition and does nothing to help consumers. Ideally, the marketplaces should compete on price, features, ease of use, etc. Instead of this, Epic’s approach is to give us a platform lacking much basic functionality while locking games into exlusivity agreements that drastically limit future price competition. This is the sort of thing that could lead to higher prices for new games and fewer protections for customers - after all, why make concessions on price or offer “no reason” refunds if your store is the only one that can carry a given product?

TL,DR - Exclusivity agreements harm PC gaming overall.
Do (mostly timed) exclusivity agreements really harm PC gaming? More than a single actor maintaining their monopoly in the market would? I seriously doubt that. And how, exactly, do (timed) exclusivity deals hinder future price competition or drive up prices for future games? You need to explain the logic behind those claims, because they don't make much sense along the lines of typical market thinking. If a timed exclusive passes for a big title, the competing store(s) are likely to jump on the chance to not only now have a cool big title on offer, but to have it cheapest too - to prove that they are better in some way. As for prices for future games, those are set based on industry standards, development and marketing costs, and heaps of other factors. The existence of exclusivity deals is highly unlikely to change that, and other factors (such as the precarious situation of most developers, and increasing development costs of modern games) are much more likely to affect this.

Also, why do you waste energy hating a company that has only the most tangential relation to you? Isn't that just a massive waste of time and energy? Hate is a useless and silly emotion.

Oh, by the way, Steam refunds? Grudgingly implemented as their previous no-refund policy was illegal in Europe. Praising them for following the law is a pretty low bar. Just because they went the no-effort route of not demanding a reason for refunds (which is a cost savings measure first, saving them personnel costs, not primarily a customer friendly feature) doesn't make it any better - and to a certain degree it also harms developers of small niche games that can often be played in full within the refund window.
Publishers really should follow the CD Projekt Red example and just sell their games everywhere so people can just buy it where they want.
If only it were that easy. Sadly, that is exactly how monopolies are maintained, as the vast majority of users don't even know of other storefronts, and certainly don't care beyond convenience and price. With that approach, Steam would continue to entrench their position, gaining ever more power over PC gaming. Relying on conscientious consumers to take down a monopoly is naive to the extreme. No thanks.
Same here, except that I check Steam first because I somehow accumulated most of my games there.
"Somehow" - that made me laugh :D It takes some serious effort for that not to happen. Where else would you do so?
EGS per se is not a problem, a new player in the game is good to see: people like me are complaining about the "exclusivities" policy and for me, stealing work done on Steam platform during devlopment. Valantar disagrees with me about this, but to-day, an indie game is also "made" (sort of) by community, channels, streamers, etc. and Steam helps developers in this way (speaking with knowledge about one of them: Dead Cells, and loving the clear policy of Motion Twin on the subject, a bit of publicity for them.)
The thing is, the problem with what you are describing can't actually be laid at the feet of Epic - it's not them that are (by your account) abandoning their communities or denying others credit, it's developers. It goes without saying that if you're developing an early access title with a lot of community input and are offered an exclusivity deal on a competing platform, you need to give something back to your supporters. What that ends up being is of course up to your negotiating power, but it could be anything from a (significant) discount on the final game to getting it for free due to your early access support. We've see EGS honor Steam pre-orders on other games, so this is possible. Also, this is a fitting illustration of the dire straits of most developers; that they would be in such dire need of financial stability that they are willing to possibly piss off their community by taking a deal like that tells us a lot about how precarious their situations are. Most developers like this work on shoestring budgets, have no salary, and are dependent on Patreon or similar charities to survive at all. With no guarantee of high sales on Steam (where indie games go to drown and die), it really isn't any wonder that they gladly accept an EGS exclusivity deal for the financial stability it offers.
Examples of this? Genuinely curious. I pay little attention to the Valve side of things.
While this might sound a tad speculative, the Steam Sale is the most clear-cut example of this - a monopolist pricing their competitors out of the market through their financial strength. (Oh, and before you bring up key resellers; those sell Steam keys, which Steam still profit off of - after all, a key is a zero-cost item.) This is textbook anti-competitive behaviour. Today there are alternatives that are able to offer similar discounts, and Steam has largely created an industry standard (Xbox and Playstation have copied this model, among others), but in the first years the Steam Sale was a tool to lock in gamers to their platform and squeeze out smaller competitors that suddenly looked crazy expensive. Heck, they even made a huge "event" out of it with "leaked" Steam Sale dates and the like, which just further served to stop sales on competing platforms.
Quite frankly, in the overall scheme of things I don't think the needle has moved much with the tactics they have employed. I'd really love some hard numbers on sales Epic actually does and game sale comparisons of prior exclusives that have been released on steam. As I said before, I get why dev's take the Epic deal. It's how some have acted after taking it that turns me off.
I can understand that - though being defensive about taking a controversial decision that you view as borderline necessary for your survival is also understandable. Most developers aren't very good at PR. As for the needle not moving much, I think you're mostly right - again, monopolies don't have to make much of an effort to maintain their position, they have mindshare and consumer habits to rely on - but even if they have 1% market share, that is dramatically higher than they would have had by just saying "Hey, we're here too!".
There is where you are wrong. I will open the store page to see trailers/reviews/discussions and in another tab have isthereanydeal open. Of the 1200 games I own on Steam, I'd wager less than 500 I've actually purchased through steam. Many of those before learning of things like Humble Bundle and other storefronts existing. Not shopping around when you have a myriad of storefronts competing for your business is how you put it, incredibly naive.
Firstly, you are then in a clear minority. The vast majority of Steam keys/games are sold through Steam, and the vast majority of people buying games neither know of other places to buy games nor look for them. And, of course, Steam still makes money on Steam keys sold through other storefronts, even if they don't make their full cut there. The wide distribution of Steam keys actually serves as another example of an underhanded and anticompetitive move by Steam - it created the illusion of competition, while in reality the "choice" of consumers was to buy from Steam, or buy from someone buying from Steam (with any price difference mostly (but not entirely) coming out of developers' cuts. That's another classic monopolist move, to become not only a retailer but also the distributor that all your competitors become reliant on; thus you have total control of the market even if you give off the impression of competing.
Let me get this on the table: other than exclusives, I bear no hate for Epic. I do, however, think their store isn't worth using right now beyond their free game giveaways. Trying to browse their store is difficult, there are a ton of Quality of Life features that should have been implemented day 1 that still aren't there. (Not even including the shopping cart, which I think is Epic just trying to meme by this point) The launcher itself is very barebones and not useful in the slightest. It all just feels like a 5 year old putting on his dad's clothes and trying to sit at the adult's Thanksgiving Poker game. "I can sell games too!" it exclaims, while throwing play money on the table.
I can agree that the EGS store is lacking in features (the lack of a shopping cart is particularly egregious, though the Nintendo eShop doesn't have one either), and the 15-year disadvantage against Steam in terms of features definitely shows. They have most of the basics down, but I completely agree that they don't yet have what it takes to be a fully competitive alternative. GOG is miles ahead in that regard, though they also beat out Steam on a lot of points. Steam wins in the high-tech, high-concept features like remote play, though their UX is terrible and their recent facelift didn't do much to improve that. The Steam overlay is still a confusing and messy piece of junk. But back to EGS, we can't really expect feature parity from a brand new storefront either - though it's on them to fix this as quickly as possible. The more time passes without them adding necessary features, the worse they look.
Tim Sweeny can suck a fat one though.
Along with every other "big personality" in the gaming industry. As with most other successful businesspeople, they tend to be a**holes.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
"Somehow" - that made me laugh :D It takes some serious effort for that not to happen. Where else would you do so?
What I actually meant is: I would prefer GOG as a no.1 platform to buy games, but Steam has been there far longer, so naturally I have way more games on it. As I mentioned before, I like keeping things simple, so I buy games on Steam first, then GOG second, not because Steam is a better platform (it maybe is), but because I want my games in one launcher as much as possible. :)

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
What I actually meant is: I would prefer GOG as a no.1 platform to buy games, but Steam has been there far longer, so naturally I have way more games on it. As I mentioned before, I like keeping things simple, so I buy games on Steam first, then GOG second, not because Steam is a better platform (it maybe is), but because I want my games in one launcher as much as possible. :)
Are you using GOG Galaxy (2.0 and above)? That has the ability to import all your accounts from other launchers, leaving you with one to interact with for the vast majority of time :)

Also, could someone in forum admin figure out what causes this "quotes attributed to seemingly random other users" bug? @W1zzard ?

D

Deleted member 177333

If only it were that easy. Sadly, that is exactly how monopolies are maintained, as the vast majority of users don't even know of other storefronts, and certainly don't care beyond convenience and price. With that approach, Steam would continue to entrench their position, gaining ever more power over PC gaming. Relying on conscientious consumers to take down a monopoly is naive to the extreme. No thanks.

I disagree. All you have to do is offer better features. For example, I have most of my gaming collection on Steam (probably around 70% of it), however, I recently started using GOG as my primary storefront - I use GOG over Steam now anytime I can because of their NO-DRM policy and the significantly better refund policy. I still like Steam and they are my backup storefront, but GOG's features are simply so valuable to me that they actually trump all the really nice things about Steam. Epic however, offers nothing I want, and represents things that I will never support with my wallet.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I disagree. All you have to do is offer better features. For example, I have most of my gaming collection on Steam (probably around 70% of it), however, I recently started using GOG as my primary storefront - I use GOG over Steam now anytime I can because of their NO-DRM policy and the significantly better refund policy. I still like Steam and they are my backup storefront, but GOG's features are simply so valuable to me that they actually trump all the really nice things about Steam. Epic however, offers nothing I want, and represents things that I will never support with my wallet.
That's one approach, sure, but what constitutes "better features" for most people? I would say "has all my friends on it" is the biggest feature for the majority of gamers, which again gives the advantage to the incumbent monopolist. (Sadly) very few gamers are idealistic enough to choose a storefront based on their DRM policy. So while an admirable approach, and one I personally agree with, it's not one that will ever actually amount to evening out the playing field. Appealing to conscientious consumers to "vote with their wallets" and support smaller players is a tactic that never, ever works, and ultimately just entrenches monopolists in their positions of power.

Personally, I buy from GOG first when possible, then Epic if they have what I want and GOG doesn't (I want to support competition, so I check EGS before Steam for that reason alone), then Steam. This still leads to quite a few Steam purchases, as Steam has a massive mindshare advantage leading them to be the first and only choice among heaps of developers no matter how problematic they are.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
D

Deleted member 177333

That's one approach, sure, but what constitutes "better features" for most people? I would say "has all my friends on it" is the biggest feature for the majority of gamers, which again gives the advantage to the incumbent monopolist. (Sadly) very few gamers are idealistic enough to choose a storefront based on their DRM policy. So while an admirable approach, and one I personally agree with, it's not one that will ever actually amount to evening out the playing field. Appealing to conscientious consumers to "vote with their wallets" and support smaller players is a tactic that never, ever works, and ultimately just entrenches monopolists in their positions of power.

Personally, I buy from GOG first when possible, then Epic if they have what I want and GOG doesn't (I want to support competition, so I check EGS before Steam for that reason alone), then Steam. This still leads to quite a few Steam purchases, as Steam has a massive mindshare advantage leading them to be the first and only choice among heaps of developers no matter how problematic they are.

I think everyone has their own priorities and things they value. I also like Steam's friend list, messageboards, and review system. I play a lot of Rocket League via Steam and have buddies I party up with on there which I like, that's why Steam gets a good chunk of my business, with all the features they have. I think things would have gone so much better for Epic had they handled their launch differently and added some better features that benefit the actual customers. Steam has a 2 week ownership / 2 hour playtime refund policy which really isn't all that great in my opinion. Epic should have opened with a better policy there, continued their push for sales and free games, and chances are good I would have at least created an account and taken a look at them like I did with GOG. But those exclusives, especially the ones that were Kickstarted and stated to be on Steam that were then pulled and put exclusively on Epic really rubbed me the wrong away, especially with some of Sweeney's statements on the matter - that sealed it for me, I'll never so much as create an account on Epic, much less spend any money there.

I respect your differing point of view though, you do your thing my fellow gamer and I will do mine. :D

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
it also employed the extremely unpopular strategy of launcher exclusive games such as with Metro Exodus.
Unpopular with who? It was a vocal minority, and they have all quieted down. Much ado about nothing. If anything, EGL has caused Steam and GOG to do more freebies, with even Uplay getting in on the act a few times.

and a dozen "launchers" running in the background.
Why on Earth would you do that? You only need one at a time. People actually CREATE stuff to complain about.

Additionally, no modding support and no customer reviews is a major drawback. If this will be fixed, EGS can become a very strong competitor.
They are on the roadmap.

Steam sales are on an opt-in basis. That's why you have different discount rates for different games, or some games not being discounted at all. Once again - voluntary, not mandatory.
Epic's sales are opt-in as well. @FordGT90Concept has actually investigated that and posted it several times. The publishers or independent studios decides if they want to participate and to what percentage.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
The publishers or independent studios decides if they want to participate and to what percentage.
Even if it is optional on Epic today, that's not really relevant to what I was saying. The point in my previous post was that Steam sales aren't mandatory (as some people tend to think).

But just to be a prick, I'm just gonna leave this in here, just in case you missed their first "Mega Sale".

They are on the roadmap.
Shopping cart is also on a roadmap.... for the past 1.5 years. Since launch it got bumped from "3 months" to "6 months" to "Future development", whatever that means, along with other QoL features.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Even if it is optional on Epic today, that's not really relevant to what I was saying
It actually is relevant, because we were in the middle of a discussion about Steam vs Epic, and the implication of the statement, by saying Steam doesn’t force it, is that Epic does. Context is important.

Also, you can be a prick all you want, it doesn’t hurt me in the slightest. But there is no call for it. Neither you or I have a financial stake in these two giants. :)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I don't have any problem with the fact that Epic Games are on EGS, Ubisoft on Uplay, EA Games on Origin etc. I think you don't remember where the PC gaming market was at the end of 2000s.
Half-Life: Alyx is exclusive on Steam ? Normal. Fortnite is exclusive on EGS ? Normal. FIFA on Origin, etc ? Normal. But lots of indie studios gain their name with Steam. Was Steam greedy ? I'm quite sure about it. Was Steam a real help to them ? I'm quite sure too.
But stealing work done by creating a community, a game greenlit by Steam etc with the fake 30 % argument is a piece of junk.
PC market will have a new winter soon, before everyone will servily take his subscription on a service or another.
And our market will be another console market. Maybe we deserve this by our complete lack of political consumer sense.

'Political consumer sense' is exactly what you're advocating against by artificially limiting your own choices. Its not like EGS suffers for this, the publishers do, and those are the publishers that do NOT push subscription based content. Those indies you speak of... they didn't get big on Greenlight... Greenlight was a cesspool of utter junk and the end result was a mildly interesting Early Access status. Indies got big because of themselves, not because of Steam. Crowdfunding is not something Steam invented. Indies gained their momentum on Kickstarters, and on new promotion methods through streamers and community driven enthusiasm. If anything, Steam damaged the credibility of indie devs by not curating enough. Every joe with two lines of code could post it.

Community driven content or even just 'products' are huge the world over now, its not even exclusive to gaming.

Bottom line, the world will keep turning without middle-men like Steam, or EGS. They don't enable anything anymore. Steam paved the way for digital game distribution ONLY, but that was decades ago, its the norm now and you can host that stuff anywhere. The only REAL added value for these services is perhaps the integration they offer (with each other, most of all, especially if you don't like exclusivity... and in thát they all suck), but all of that can also be arranged by devs themselves. Beyond that its just outsourced distribution for publishers. Nothing else. And if you compare EGS and Steam on that basis... EGS is offering publishers far more freedom and budget.

Shopping cart is also on a roadmap.... for the past 1.5 years. Since launch it got bumped from "3 months" to "6 months" to "Future development", whatever that means, along with other QoL features.

Conclusion: the demand for that feature is non-existant, despite the ruckus some vocal minority made of it in their well known 'feature comparison' Reddit circlejerk ;)

Its all about perspective, see.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Bottom line, the world will keep turning without middle-men like Steam, or EGS. They don't enable anything anymore. Steam paved the way for digital game distribution ONLY, but that was decades ago, its the norm now and you can host that stuff anywhere. The only REAL added value for these services is perhaps the integration they offer (with each other, most of all, especially if you don't like exclusivity... and in thát they all suck), but all of that can also be arranged by devs themselves. Beyond that its just outsourced distribution for publishers. Nothing else.
Well, that is not exactly true. Especially in the quote's context of community/user-created content. Steam Workshop is a big deal for user-created content. I do not know if or how much it costs to use that, but rolling your own system for this and keeping it up is not cheap. Having a working standard solution for this is very helpful that other platforms are not providing (yet, or at the same level). There are more features that Steam provides to developers that "just work".

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, that is not exactly true. Especially in the quote's context of community/user-created content. Steam Workshop is a big deal for user-created content. I do not know if or how much it costs to use that, but rolling your own system for this and keeping it up is not cheap. Having a working standard solution for this is very helpful that other platforms are not providing (yet, or at the same level). There are more features that Steam provides to developers that "just work".
Itch.io and several other services are arguably far superior for this, with the only advantage of Steam being its massive mainstream user base. Which, of course, is also a drawback in some ways given that mainstream audiences generally tend towards mainstream tastes and wild swings in interest and attention.

Oh, btw, for those here acting as if EGS was the first to do lots of game giveaways: Ubisoft was way earlier, giving away a small pile of games back in 2016 for their 30th anniversary (one a month?). AFAIK that's the source of 12 out of the 13 games I own on Uplay.

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Itch.io and several other services are arguably far superior for this, with the only advantage of Steam being its massive mainstream user base. Which, of course, is also a drawback in some ways given that mainstream audiences generally tend towards mainstream tastes and wild swings in interest and attention.
I specifically meant mods, maps, skins and other stuff that populates Steam Workshop. Itch.io is AFAIK more geared towards games themselves.
Oh, btw, for those here acting as if EGS was the first to do lots of game giveaways: Ubisoft was way earlier, giving away a small pile of games back in 2016 for their 30th anniversary (one a month?). AFAIK that's the source of 12 out of the 13 games I own on Uplay.
The giveaway started back in June 2016 with “Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time”, followed by “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell” in July, “Rayman Origins” for August, “The Crew” in September, “Beyond Good & Evil” for October, “Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon” in November, and ultimately “Assassin’s Creed 3” for December.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor Ryzen 9 5800X
Motherboard Asrock Z570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2 x 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200mhz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon RX 6900 XT WC
Storage Corsair MP600 + 2xSamsung 860 Evo + Samsung 950 Pro + Others
Display(s) ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine A5+ White
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1300W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro
Competition is alwasy good, but the way they did it is completely terrible. Basicaly bribing publishers.

If they had come with a platform that rivals Steam, I would be on board. But no, they came with a platform that rivals Steam 10 years ago. This way they just added another launcher for no reason!!!

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Competition is alwasy good, but the way they did it is completely terrible. Basicaly bribing publishers.

If they had come with a platform that rivals Steam, I would be on board. But no, they came with a platform that rivals Steam 10 years ago. This way they just added another launcher for no reason!!!
Building a platform requires users - you can't just lump together a bunch of untested features and expect anything but a horrible mess. Starting basic is a much better approach, though they seem to have been too slow in fixing bugs and adding features since the launch. They need to step up their game, but the current state of affairs is mediocre at worst, certainly not reason for that kind of emotion.

As for "bribing" publishers: don't be daft. A bribe implies taking money under the table to allow someone to bypass some rule or law. AFAIK there is no rule saying a developer or publisher must sell their games everywhere, right? Not to mention that exclusivity deals are quite above-board (no, you don't have a right to know the sums involved - why would you?). Sure, they're not the norm, but it is a way of doing things that ensures developers actually get paid for their work and stay in business. But of course, having a modicum of job security is just so damn unfair to gamers, right? Gamers who are now denied... what, exactly? The freedom of not having to add another account to their existing hundreds? The freedom to not install another launcher? The transgression you're making this out to be is minuscule to the point of being nonexistent, while the real benefits to real people making the games are undeniable. And the long-term benefits for gamers if this works out into an actually competitive market instead of a monopoly are pretty significant too.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Really?

Steam does nothing that wasn't being done before. They only offer it in a full service package. Its easy. It also costs 30% of revenue. Steam is nothing more than a gateway with some added value for gaming. The added value was always available elsewhere in numerous applications, websites, databases. But yes, the online framework is easy entry for many smaller devs, correct. But is that really special in this day and age, with big players like AWS and MS readily available?

The workshop is still nice and being used frequently don't get me wrong. But this is just the 'fast food takeaway' approach. Make it easy because people are lazy. Its how most on demand services work.

What's more, those individual services are not platform specific, and the workshop sort-of is. Your exposure is only on Steam and works only for Steam DRM-enabled titles, most of the time. Yes, you can hack around that... but that is a lot more difficult than just visiting any of the mentioned websites and getting everything from there. Steam plays it smart: the barrier of entry for those services is super low, so people get into it and think they have no alternatives. Ironically... EGS is attempting something similar with their free giveaways. They want to make the login so normal, that you just do it and have it open every time you boot up.

Steam's prevalence has really inflicted damage to modding because even on those websites you will find mods built for a Steam only game version. Its a monopolist at work and the benefit is always only short term.

And when you look beyond modding, such as communities and communication... Steam is the worst place to do it because again, platform specific and game specific. Discord as a service for all of that is miles better in every possible way. Or any other voice/collab app.

All of these considerations though, stand or fall with the realization that Steam as a monopolist does not benefit the market in the mid-long term. If that penny hasn't dropped... any sensible discussion is impossible. Not saying that is what you think. But that is the problem with this subject even if the loudest opposition has quieted down a bit.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Really?

Steam does nothing that wasn't being done before. They only offer it in a full service package. Its easy. It also costs 30% of revenue. Steam is nothing more than a gateway with some added value for gaming. The added value was always available elsewhere in numerous applications, websites, databases.

The workshop is still nice and being used frequently don't get me wrong. But this is just the 'fast food takeaway' approach. Make it easy because people are lazy. Its how most on demand services work.

What's more, those individual services are not platform specific, and the workshop sort-of is. Your exposure is only on Steam and works only for Steam DRM-enabled titles, most of the time. Yes, you can hack around that... but that is a lot more difficult than just visiting any of the mentioned websites and getting everything from there.

Steam's prevalence has really inflicted damage to modding because even on those websites you will find mods built for a Steam only game version. Its a monopolist at work and the benefit is always only short term.

And when you look beyond modding, such as communities and communication... Steam is the worst place to do it because again, platform specific and game specific. Discord as a service for all of that is miles better in every possible way. Or any other voice/collab app.
Do ModDB and Nexusmods have an API you can tie your game onto and utilize that to automatically download content? Preferably without separate sign-in?
The full service package is exactly what it is and saying it costs 30% of revenue is disingenuous. It is a value-add feature to that full-service package that costs 30% where other aspects are more desired - or expensive.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Do ModDB and Nexusmods have an API you can tie your game onto and utilize that to automatically download content? Preferably without separate sign-in?
The full service package is exactly what it is and saying it costs 30% of revenue is disingenuous. It is a value-add feature to that full-service package that costs 30% where other aspects are more desired - or expensive.

Truth.