• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Showcases Two PlayStation 5 Console Versions, Platform-Exclusive Next Generation Games

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Well, backups are certainly good, but not always possible. At least, not easily. For older console games, it's very easy to at least grab an emulator and find the ISOs. But on original hardware, for PS1 games, fort example, you're fighting the death of optical media and the drive that reads them. It's not totally unserviceable, but it is an obstacle. My point was that bad things can happen whether you have a physical copy or a digital copy. Neither one is totally safe, but there's also a way to work around obstacles that do exist in either situation.

FWIW, I do believe having the option to use physical copies is better than not having it. I'm not for one or against the other, but rather for both together.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you miss this part?
That works very poorly on a console, given that DRM is typically implemented on a system/kernel level and hacks are ever more rare (and ever easier to patch out thanks to consoles now being always online). Emulators are practical, but a poor overall replacement for playing on actual hardware. And good luck emulating modern X86-based consoles on any hardware launched in the coming 30-40 years - that's not going to happen.

To change, this needs publishers and platform holders to actually treat their customers with some respect, which is unlikely to happen. If owners of semi-abandoned platforms started deactivating DRM protections on them and allowing users to permanently download and archive their collections of games, that would be the best solution by far - but that won't happen, sadly. They would rather piss off millions of people if even 1% of them re-buy the games on a newer platform. Capitalism at its finest.

My "GPU design house" statement is made with Sony's partner selection context and this topic is about Sony's PS5.

Intel DG1 is slower than RX 560 and GTX 1050 Ti which exceeds PS4. Intel is slowly building it's GPU design team.
Even by that metric, Apple needs to be included too - the GPU in their A12X iPad Pro SoC has raw compute power comparable to current-gen entry-level consoles (though of course raw FLOPS doesn't necessarily translate to gaming performance, but that's another matter), and all within a <10W power envelope. Intel reportedly needs ~75W to reach the same performance level. We have no idea how well Apple's design would scale up (particularly with dedicated VRAM), but it nonetheless delivers outstanding compute and graphics power for its class. As for the context of Sony's partner selection - Intel sure wasn't an option there, and likely will never be, nor is Nvidia really as they have much more lucrative markets to focus on (datacenter and HPC) rather than the relatively slim margins and major effort required for a semi-custom console project. Nvidia is present in consoles only through Nintendo adopting their already existing (and at that point already old) SoC for the Switch - but again, there weren't really any alternatives there either. And there's nothing indicating that Nvidia wants to develop a new consumer-facing SoC for a Switch follow-up - they haven't done anything like that for anyone in a long time, and all of their consumer-facing SoC development is cancelled. Even with the success of the Switch I doubt that's enough to get Nvidia to design a new SoC for Nintendo (though I'd be glad to be proven wrong here). Nvidia is by no means a flexible or accommodating company; they make what they think is best.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
That works very poorly on a console, given that DRM is typically implemented on a system/kernel level and hacks are ever more rare (and ever easier to patch out thanks to consoles now being always online). Emulators are practical, but a poor overall replacement for playing on actual hardware. And good luck emulating modern X86-based consoles on any hardware launched in the coming 30-40 years - that's not going to happen.

I believe I've already pointed that out, in the post directly above yours. Admittedly, not from the angle you're coming from, but I do mention that it's not always easy to back up games on console. At least with Playstation, there's always a way. Mod chips, softmods,or jailbreaks that don't always work on current firmware, which can also be defeated by a hardware flasher or something. Of course, it's not easy, and it's definitely not as easy as it should be, but it can be done...

To change, this needs publishers and platform holders to actually treat their customers with some respect, which is unlikely to happen. If owners of semi-abandoned platforms started deactivating DRM protections on them and allowing users to permanently download and archive their collections of games, that would be the best solution by far - but that won't happen, sadly. They would rather piss off millions of people if even 1% of them re-buy the games on a newer platform. Capitalism at its finest.

Huh, wait, what? Treat customers with respect? Now, there's a revolutionary idea... :peace:

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Looks awesome to me, I don't know why you ego feeding cry babies dislike it so much.

I like the super sleek and futuristic design, I just hope there are some exclusives at launch that wow me.

ARF

Ratchet & Clank is a series that prides itself on exploration of exotic worlds and bringing you to places you've never been before, and that's something that we're really striving for and that PS5 has really allowed with just increased horsepower. The number of objects in the world and the things to explore, the enemies around, the effects, everything is more, more, more.

This is what we're trying to do, build worlds that feel real and are bringing you in. You're exploring these brand new spaces. This is something that we never could have done on previous generations.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a game that utilizes dimensions and dimensional rifts. That would not have been possible without the solid-state drive of the PlayStation 5. The SSD is screamingly fast. It allows us to build worlds and project players from one place to another in near instantaneous speeds. It is an unbelievable game-changer in terms of we can now do gameplay where you're in one world and the next moment you're in another.

We're loading up levels and that happens so quickly and in the action that you don't even imagine that this is something we couldn't do before, because it feels so natural. Long gone are loading screens. Now it's all about bringing exciting new adventures.

Yes, but as an adult, have you built models based on those drawings and featured them prominently in your living room? I didn't think so ;)

I guess if you meld that with this, you do indeed have something looking like the PS5 :D

I can absolutely enjoy some over the top designs, but this just goes way beyond that and plants both feet + its ass directly in a heaping pile of "tacky". The design style is squarely mid-2000s, the shiny white plastic will look poor in real life compared to renders, the flowy shape will stand out next to anything and thus just emphasize the size of this thing, and the blue LED just screams "hey, I'm 13 years old!" There are many possible points on the axis between "bland and boring" and "over-the-top tacky", yet this seems to have aimed squarely for the latter pole. I don't think the XSX is the best design ever either, but at least it has some subtlety to it.

All consoles have plastic housings. Anything else is far too expensive. Plastic shell, steel inner cage to ensure rigidity and RF compliance.
There is a difference between, plastic, and cheap plastic though.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
There is a difference between, plastic, and cheap plastic though.
Yes, but any plastic outside of exotic and expensive ones (which definitely aren't going to be used in a mass-produced and cost-sensitive/sold-at-a-loss console) will be flexible and weak when used in a design like this with large unsupported overhangs. No doubt there will be structural elements on the backs of the panels where they can't be seen to make them more rigid (honeycomb patterning or some such), but there clearly isn't on the visible overhangs, which means they will be weak no matter what. I'm willing to bet we'll be seeing quite a few PS5s on the used market in a few years with cracked or broken top corners. It's a clear weak point. Not that it will matter for functionality (as stated in the previous post, the steel housing is what holds it together, the plastic is for aesthetics), but it won't be a durable design. (There is of course also the issue that plastic has near zero scratch resistance (I've caused scratches in shiny plastic by wiping dust off it with a dry microfibre cloth) which will mean that not only won't the design look as clean in real life as it does in renders, it will inevitably degrade further with time (unless you are one of those disturbing people who leaves the plastic wrapping on their electronics).) Also, I never said "cheap plastic" did I?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
HAHA, more Marvel crap. now they made Spider Man black haha, Like OMG can they just not make a new hero up and stop doing this retarded shit.

Anyways i will wait thanks, see how it goes and see if they replace it 6-12 months later and all so see what games are worth playing.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...