• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Louqe and Noctua Present NH-L12 Special Edition CPU Cooler for the Ghost S1 Case

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Louqe and Noctua today presented the new NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition CPU cooler. Coming with a single 92 mm fan and Noctua's second-generation NT-H2 thermal compound, as well as the latest SecuFirm2 multi-socket mounting system, the NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition has been customised to be an ideal companion for quiet high-end builds in Louqe's award-winning Ghost S1 enclosure.

"We've tested pretty much every low-profile cooler on the market in the Ghost S1 and even tried to create a complete custom solution in collaboration with Noctua, but nothing worked as well as our long-term favourite, the NH-L12," explains Patrik Michalski (Louqe CEO). "That's why we've ended up creating a customised special edition of this cooler that will be the ideal choice for all Ghost S1 users who are looking for the best possible air cooling solution."

Having received more than 200 awards and recommendations from international hardware websites and magazines, the original NH-L12 was one of the most successful low-profile CPU coolers ever built. It also proved to be an ideal choice for low-noise setups in the Ghost S1 chassis when its top 120 mm fan was removed.

"Ever since the original NH-L12 was superseded by the NH-L12S, we've seen Ghost S1 users go miles and beyond to get hold of remaining stock or used NH-L12 coolers because the newer S-version is just a bit too tall for this case," explains Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). "The Ghost S1 is one of the most popular choices for premium-grade ITX builds at the moment, so we're glad to bring back the original L12 in a version that is specifically customised for this great case."

With its single NF-B9 PWM 92 mm fan, the new Ghost S1 edition is tailored for use in this case and has been updated with the latest SecuFirm2 mounting hardware for all current mainstream sockets, including Intel LGA1200, LGA115x and AMD AM4. Topped off with Noctua's further improved, second-generation NT-H2 thermal compound and a full 6-year manufacturer's warranty, the NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition is the ideal choice for premium-grade quiet builds in the Louqe Ghost S1 chassis.

Price and availability
The manufacturer's suggested retail price is EUR/USD 54.90. The cooler is available as of today via Noctua's official Amazon and eBay stores.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Yrd

After seeing this news, I looked in my closet and I have one of the original LH-12. I think I paid about $75 for that. This one is about $20 less, the cost of the missing 120mm fan.

I bought this case a few months back, because it constantly goes out of stock. It's just sitting boxed up until I get next gen hardware. Lucky for me, I already own the the best fitting cooler. Hadn't even looked for compatible stuff yet. I hope they offer original owners a way to get updated mounting hardware, as they have done for other coolers in the past.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
After seeing this news, I looked in my closet and I have one of the original LH-12. I think I paid about $75 for that. This one is about $20 less, the cost of the missing 120mm fan.

I bought this case a few months back, because it constantly goes out of stock. It's just sitting boxed up until I get next gen hardware. Lucky for me, I already own the the best fitting cooler. Hadn't even looked for compatible stuff yet. I hope they offer original owners a way to get updated mounting hardware, as they have done for other coolers in the past.

Yep, pretty much.

If you're planing for AM4, you just need to fill the NM-AM4 upgrade kit form. As for Intel, you're good, the original Intel mount should still work.

Even my previous and good old Noctua NH-U12F from 2007 can be upgraded to be used on current AMD / Intel sockets. That's a freaking 13 year old cooler right there, still getting free support.

Last edited:
should have chosen a9pwm instead, at least the rpm is higher.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
should have chosen a9pwm instead, at least the rpm is higher.

Yeah, that is strange. Even Noctua's own product page notes the B9PWM as discontinued and replaced by the A9 PWM, so I'm curious if this was a copy-paste mistake or are they really dragging out and older and theoretically interior fan for this?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I was completely oblivious to the existence of the Ghost S1. I'm an NCase M1 backer and defected to Streacom's DA2 about 15 months ago.

This is finally getting close to the design I hacked together as a student 20 years ago, but mass-produced with quality machining (and making use of mITX that didn't exist back then); Zero space wasted and all component cooling fans touching the side of the case to act as a direct fresh-air intake to everything that matters.

This noctua looks great but I can't help but feel the optimum cooler for an S1 is direct-mount top-blower with a fan on top, similar to the AMD Wraith MAX but larger, and less plastic/RGB. These heatpipe designs waste a lot of potential surface area and heat transfer by separating the cooling fins from the IHS baseplate.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Looks like you could use a 120mm fan with it too, although with that case they show with it don't have enough venting space for the 120mm

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
I was completely oblivious to the existence of the Ghost S1. I'm an NCase M1 backer and defected to Streacom's DA2 about 15 months ago.

This is finally getting close to the design I hacked together as a student 20 years ago, but mass-produced with quality machining (and making use of mITX that didn't exist back then); Zero space wasted and all component cooling fans touching the side of the case to act as a direct fresh-air intake to everything that matters.

This noctua looks great but I can't help but feel the optimum cooler for an S1 is direct-mount top-blower with a fan on top, similar to the AMD Wraith MAX but larger, and less plastic/RGB. These heatpipe designs waste a lot of potential surface area and heat transfer by separating the cooling fins from the IHS baseplate.
Top mount has problems with balancing z-height clearance off of the motherboard and clearance from the sidepanel. By the latter, I don't mean absolute fit. As anyone who has done so can attest, running a fan right up against the side panel results in a LOT of noise.

So where the fan and heatsink are arranged here, is somewhat balanced. Not ideal, but still reasonably balancing the two issues above.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Have to wonder, would a slim 120mm fan be better on that heatsink than the included normal 92mm fan :)

Have to wonder, would a slim 120mm fan be better on that heatsink than the included normal 92mm fan :)

The orignal version uses a slim 120mm fan if I am not mistaken. Having said that, a bigger fan is still better (despite a slim one) for cooling in this case. The heatsink is in the first place made for a 120mm fan, so with the extra heatsink not being covered by the fan, it will limit cooling capability.

Yrd

I have seen slim 120 fans on the underside of this cooler, it does work. But, not in this case. Look at the last two pics, there's no fitting a bigger fan with the ram or the case side panel in place.

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
I have seen slim 120 fans on the underside of this cooler, it does work. But, not in this case. Look at the last two pics, there's no fitting a bigger fan with the ram or the case side panel in place.

I've got a 120 x 25mm under my NH-L12 in a Ghost S1:

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I wish they still made half-height RAM like that. It's the direction the industry *SHOULD* have moved in, rather than the direction it did move it (double-height, pointless heatsinks, RGBLED nonsense).

Is it any coincidence that the first company to bring overly high, out-of-spec heatsinks to the mass market was also the dominant AIO reseller at the time? Was there a hidden agenda there to drive people away from tower coolers by creating incompatible RAM?

Yrd

I wish they still made half-height RAM like that. It's the direction the industry *SHOULD* have moved in, rather than the direction it did move it (double-height, pointless heatsinks, RGBLED nonsense).

Is it any coincidence that the first company to bring overly high, out-of-spec heatsinks to the mass market was also the dominant AIO reseller at the time? Was there a hidden agenda there to drive people away from tower coolers by creating incompatible RAM?

Am I seeing two different sides being bent to fit that MB? Or is it just a trick in the pic? I don't see ram like that anymore, true. But even then, it looks like your problem was the VRM heatsink. Both pics make it look lopsided on two different angles. But the ram looks fine. A 15mm fan might fit with current ram sticks.

I can't test any of this out yet other than attaching a 15mm fan, as those are the only parts I have right now. Waiting on ampere.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Am I seeing two different sides being bent to fit that MB? Or is it just a trick in the pic? I don't see ram like that anymore, true. But even then, it looks like your problem was the VRM heatsink. Both pics make it look lopsided on two different angles. But the ram looks fine. A 15mm fan might fit with current ram sticks.

I can't test any of this out yet other than attaching a 15mm fan, as those are the only parts I have right now. Waiting on ampere.

His bottom left picture is the key here - the half-height RAM allows the 120mm fan to overhang the DIMM slots without interference.

I can't find any half-height DDR4. That's one of the few roadblocks to me buying a Ghost S1, actually. This is the most recent stuff I have on hand (literally) - It's DDR3-1600

1593708149052.png

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
VLP DDR4 is mostly a server thing but it does exist. It's mostly ECC though so should work with AMD but results may vary for Intel systems. 8GB modules are easy enough to find, 16GB modules are PITA.