• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hopefully a wake up call for certain individuals that hold certain companies with certain identity colors in higher regard than other certain companies with other certain identity colors. Such is life.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Well, I guess it's not the worst way to get more advertising and mindshare for your brand...

HEY HERE IT IS ON A 24-THREAD CPU THAT NOBODY OUTSIDE OF MULTI-THREADED POWER USERS WOULD CHOOSE TO BUY.
Sure, who's going to buy a 12 cores 24 threads except power users? Professional gamers are all Intel and casual gamers will properly choose 3300x or the 3600.

Well, I guess it's not the worst way to get more advertising and mindshare for your brand...
And we are here discussing about it. Quite true. Releasing a technically dump product is still a good marketing move to balance the press a little bit while waiting for the next gen.

Hopefully a wake up call for certain individuals that hold certain companies with certain identity colors in higher regard than other certain companies with other certain identity colors. Such is life.
Red and Blue team alike. and I'm here teaming up with whatever gives me the most ROI. In this case, still AMD. ;)

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
are there any 8+ cpu part with integrated graphics? Noticed a lack of one was a con for this on the verdict page and the 3800xt when Intel doesn't have such cpus either iirc.

Last edited:
Ryzen 9 3900X is the third best selling CPU in Germany.

View attachment 161308
Sure that means lots of people are power users ;) and the definition of power users varies a lot. For me, editing some photos while waiting for the videos to complete or crunching numbers for market forecast. That requires lots of power..

are there any 8+ cpu part with integrated graphics? Noticed a lack of one was a con for this and the 3800xt when Intel doesn't have such cpus either iirc.
Adding an iGPU will reduce the yield and therefore, lower the margin. They reserve the iGPU for their APU line up. Consider you have a limited amount of production capacity in your FAB, you must prioritize what get produced first.

D

Deleted member 193792

Adding an iGPU will reduce the yield and therefore, lower the margin. They reserve the iGPU for their APU line up. Consider you have a limited amount of production capacity in your FAB, you must prioritize what get produced first.
I'm wondering if they could integrate the smallest possible RDNA2 iGPU in a 7nm I/O die, along with a 5nm chiplet in Zen 4.

Not for gaming, just for regular desktop use. An iGPU also allows you to sell your dGPU when it still has value and wait for the next one (i.e. Turing -> Ampere), without making your PC totally useless for browsing etc.

I'm wondering if they could integrate the smallest possible RDNA2 iGPU in a 7nm I/O die, along with a 5nm chiplet in Zen 4.

Not for gaming, just for regular desktop use. An iGPU also allows you to sell your dGPU when it still has value and wait for the next one (i.e. Turing -> Ampere), without making your PC totally useless for browsing etc.

The problem here is cannibalizations. Ryzen with iGPU will turn their APU line up into history. Good luck selling APU when the best Ryzen has one. Ryzen CPUs also play a key role in the halo effect, so it's not nice if it has an weaker iGPU. Technicality aside, I will veto this idea sorely on the marketing point of view.

ARF

The problem here is cannibalizations. Ryzen with iGPU will turn their APU line up into history. Good luck selling APU when the best Ryzen has one. Ryzen CPUs also play a key role in the halo effect, so it's not nice if it has an weaker iGPU. Technicality aside, I will veto this idea sorely on the marketing point of view.

It could be marketed as large, potent audio/video acceleration unit for 8K and 16K processing, because obviously you can't do it with x86 instructions.

D

Deleted member 193792

How doesn't Intel cannibalize their product line?

It could be marketed as large, potent audio/video acceleration unit for 8K and 16K processing, because obviously you can't do it with x86 instructions.
You can do it with x86 SIMD (AVX256/512).

Then the graphic department will file a complaint... But yeah, 3900XT with integrated Vega 20 graphics will make me wet, extremely wet (drooling all over my keyboard).
Back to the topic at hand: look at 3900 binning, it takes time to reach the maturity for the node and you already see how good the 3900X does nowadays compare to the first launch. The XT is just cherry on top to steal the press.

How doesn't Intel cannibalize their product line?
Within Intel product lines, I don't see anything marketed as APU. That's just how marketing works in corporation. You have multiple departments compete for the resources.

ARF

Then the graphic department will file a complaint... But yeah, 3900XT with integrated Vega 20 graphics will make me wet, extremely wet (drooling all over my keyboard).
Back to the topic at hand: look at 3900 binning, it takes time to reach the maturity for the node and you already see how good the 3900X does nowadays compare to the first launch. The XT is just cherry on top to steal the press.

Within Intel product lines, I don't see anything marketed as APU. That's just how marketing works in corporation. You have multiple departments compete for the resources.

Except that Navi is much better than Vega..

Because Intel doesn't sell mainstream chips without an IGP, the ones with F or KF are disabled IGP chips, for various reasons. AMD have moved from regular chips, pre BD i.e. phenom II for instance, to a CPU & APU post 2011.
Nothing to do with marketing, Intel's selling IGP less desktop chips only on HEDT platforms for nearly a decade now.

D

Deleted member 193792

An APU is a heterogeneous processor that integrates a CPU and a GPU and Intel has had that for a long time.

It's not like AMD has an exclusivity to that concept... even mobile SoCs do that.

ARF

An APU is a heterogeneous processor that integrates a CPU and a GPU and Intel has had that for a long time.

It's not like AMD has an exclusivity to that concept... even mobile SoCs do that.

I think Intel avoids the term APU because it leads to AMD's Fusion concept and they would give AMD a free advertisement help.

We should stay on 3900XT topic.
PS: my work require heavy compute so vega is favorable.

Yes, and this is why Ryzen 9 3900X with Navi IP would be better..

D

Deleted member 193792

I think Intel avoids the term APU because it leads to AMD's Fusion concept and they would give AMD a free advertisement help.
Welp, that sounds rather dumb.

Imagine if AMD didn't use the GPU term, only because nVidia used it first. :)

ARF

Welp, that sounds rather dumb.

Imagine if AMD didn't use the GPU term, only because nVidia used it first. :)

The detail here is that if it depends on Intel, AMD won't exist whatsoever. They have done everything possible to bankrupt AMD.
They simply don't respect anything AMD's.

How about APU sounds a little unnecessary? It's basically a CPU with an IGP, do (most) people really care what it's called? You give them a thousand terms to gnaw upon & they'll tear their brains out, this is why marketing often times relies on tried & testing naming conventions & branding like i3 - i9 so no need to sell the consumers on a novel concept. The lesser the time they spend on thinking, the more likely they'll splurge on your products at least that's how I observe many of the average folks operate.

Looks like it runs far too hot (with the oc) mine has a much smaller gap oc 4.2 vs stock. Even if i were looking to buy one before, i most certainly wouldn't now. Did they screw up something with the ihs or maybe just poor bios.. hmm

I think it's just very high voltage used in this review. My 3900X can run stable @1.2v for a 4.2Ghz all core OC, and temps are the same as stock + PBO.

System Name R9 5950x/Skylake 6400
Processor R9 5950x/i5 6400
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master X570/Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360/Stock
Memory 4x8GB Patriot PVS416G4440 CL14/G.S Ripjaws 32 GB F4-3200C16D-32GV
Video Card(s) 7900XTX/6900XT
Storage RIP Seagate 530 4TB (died after 7 months), WD SN850 2TB, Aorus 2TB, Corsair MP600 1TB / 960 Evo 1TB
Display(s) 3x LG 27gl850 1440p
Case Custom builds
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Silverstone 1000watt modular Gold/1000Watt Antec
Software Win11pro/win10pro / Win10 Home / win7 / wista 64 bit and XPpro
Strange in Denmark retailers list the 3900XT as haveing 70mb cache

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Strange in Denmark retailers list the 3900XT as haveing 70mb cache
64 mb L3, 512 kb L2 per core, amd felt like adding them all up makes for a better specs sheet

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Yeah, a better binned refresh with slightly higher clocks is a brutal wake up call ... from what exactly ? :roll:

You've posted cringe bro.