• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple to Develop the Metal Family of GPUs, Dump AMD Radeon

I've always wondered that as well, but then again, I won't purchase ANYTHING, even a $40 item without doing as much research as necessary to be absolutely confident I've chosen the best possible product for my money... So you can imagine how much research I do and did for my new build this past November. That's why it baffles me how anyone could walk into a best buy, for example, and spend $1000+ on a computer only relying on what the sales person says.

Unfortunately however, it's seems that the vast majority of people do purchase their computer(s) in this manner, and the Apple customer falls into this category or the category of customer whose only concern is that they want to use iOS or whatever the newest OS for apple is called. At least, that's my theory on what's occurring... I mean, if someone just takes ten minutes and, for example, compares a $2000 MacBook to a $2000 windows laptop, they'll obviously see you get better hardware performance for the same price with the windows laptop... So they either don't take that ten minutes, or don't care to....

People never make purely rational purchasing decisions. Not even you. Apple sells their products because they aren't actually selling their hardware. Apple is selling a "feeling". So, in other words, they're selling what their customers think will give them the best value. It's a feeling.. When you use mac for a period of time you either absolutely fall in love with the experience and can't have anything else, or you don't. Many people do. They compare the feeling or experience you get from working with a Mac to PC and Macs win in a lot of different ways other than pure hardware specs. The seamless workflow you get on MacOS for one. The immaculate build quality and Bauhaus design of Apple products is another big thing for people. Compare a MacBook with an ugly black standard laptop... It's a totally different world. Some other companies maybe are getting there from copying Apple design, but they are often just not there in terms of build quality. And you can't just replace MacOS with Windows and say they're equivalent. I personally think Linux > MacOS >>>> Windows. For people who aren't total Linux pros, MacOS is honestly the next best thing. And I personally think you have to be a bit crazy to use Linux. It literally has to be your hobby, otherwise you'll probably not have such a good time..

Last edited:
This should not come as a surprise. If they are using in house SOC, then there is no room for the AMD graphics.
Well besides the fact that Nvidia & AMD are the leaders in (d)GPU for several years now! Unless Apple thinks they can match them in terms of absolute perf & perf/W this move doesn't make sense in the short to medium term. Yes they're moving everything in house though it's also worth remembering none come close to these two in the GPU space, yes I know Intel is trying right now, especially at the higher end of the market.

Apple is selling a "feeling".
That's a bit disingenuous, Apple products are indeed top notch & also way overpriced for the "specs" they offer!

That's a bit disingenuous, Apple products are indeed top notch & also way overpriced for the "specs" they offer!
A lot of people don't need that performance like they don't need the fastest car. How is it disingenuous? Most people also don't buy a laptop for gaming, usually it's for work only. I honestly don't know anything that is better for work than being in the Mac ecosystem other than setting up Linux (and working your butt off for it). Some people just pay for that feeling and that productivity and to not have to be a technical genius. Yes, if you want the pure Mac experience, you'll pay crazy money, especially for their own Retina external monitors... But if you're not doing it as a hobby, the amount of time I spent customizing Linux to have something equivalent to the Mac Ecosystem is 10x more worth than what Apple wants in terms of money. I'd gladly pay it if I didn't enjoy the Linux pains so much like a masochist. And Windows is just far behind Linux or MacOS in terms of work for me. No way I'm ever going back to that. Goes for a lot of people who actually compare all OSes.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I've always wondered that as well, but then again, I won't purchase ANYTHING, even a $40 item without doing as much research as necessary to be absolutely confident I've chosen the best possible product for my money... So you can imagine how much research I do and did for my new build this past November. That's why it baffles me how anyone could walk into a best buy, for example, and spend $1000+ on a computer only relying on what the sales person says.

Unfortunately however, it's seems that the vast majority of people do purchase their computer(s) in this manner, and the Apple customer falls into this category or the category of customer whose only concern is that they want to use iOS or whatever the newest OS for apple is called. At least, that's my theory on what's occurring... I mean, if someone just takes ten minutes and, for example, compares a $2000 MacBook to a $2000 windows laptop, they'll obviously see you get better hardware performance for the same price with the windows laptop... So they either don't take that ten minutes, or don't care to....

If you plan on buying a Mac of some sort - even though I do hate them, I'd suggest actually hitting up an Apple store over other places that are licensed to sell Apple laptops such as Best Buy.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen a few knowledgeable Geek Squad guys before, but I've seen a lot that are so ignorant when it comes to hardware it makes you wonder how they got their job. I was shopping around for a laptop a couple years back for the daughter - something she could use to do some light gaming, used for school work, skype with grandparents and her aunt/uncle. I wasn't looking to spend a lot, but something that would work for her for 4 or 5 years until she got to high school. As I was browsing laptops at Best Buy I overhear a Geek Squad guy talking with an older lady (probably around 60) about the laptops just a few feet away. The lady asked what's the difference between having 2 cores and 4 cores. She saw the 2 core was clocked higher (2.3 or something like that) and the 4 core was only 2.0. The Geek Squad guy literally told her that 2 cores at 2.3 means she'd have a total speed of 4.6Ghz. Whereas the 4 core at 2.0 would mean she'd have 8GHz which is why the 4 core was better. I started laughing loudly and they both looked at me. I looked straight at the Geek Squad guy as I told the lady this guy was a moron and she should go elsewhere to find a laptop, I suggested Microcenter if she was in need of getting proper answers to her questions.

The wife likes Macs - I guess its the only thing she's used since she started her graphic design classes in college. She likes the Apple store if she needs to find a new laptop (thankfully that's only every 6-8 years because these things are outrageously overpriced and she takes care of her laptops) so she can ask questions from people that strictly deal with Apple products. She also likes the fact that the company she works for will give her thousands of dollars of software to install on her laptop so she can use it to work from home if needed and they don't care if she uses it to freelance.

ARF

A lot of people don't need that performance like they don't need the fastest car.

This is an bananas vs strawberries comparison. People can't look for a fastest car because there are speed limits everywhere.

While the most negative thing of the computer hardware, everywhere and in general, is that it's slow and annoying, buggy and disappointing.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Well, it's official, they went with the nuclear option. I'm really curious to see how this will go.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
It is obvious that Apple has something in hand or some Company in mind to takeover.

This is an bananas vs strawberries comparison. People can't look for a fastest car because there are speed limits everywhere.

While the most negative thing of the computer hardware, everywhere and in general, is that it's slow and annoying, buggy and disappointing.
As if you can notice a difference in most daily applications between an i5 and a Threadripper... There are speed limits with tech, it's the limit where you no longer even notice the extra power, potential speed and features you're getting. We have such amazingly powerful processors now, that most people don't actually need or know how to use them fully. It's their own speed limit, if you will.

Processor Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4
Cooling OCZ Vendetta 2
Memory 8 GB DDR2-800 Mushkin Extreme
Video Card(s) Geforce GTX 580
Storage A lot of them. Over 10 TB
Display(s) Benq GW2400D 192x1200
Case Coolermaster Dominator CM690
Audio Device(s) HDA X-Mystique
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600W+TT VGA Power 250
Software Windows 7 x64
A lot of people don't need that performance like they don't need the fastest car. How is it disingenuous? Most people also don't buy a laptop for gaming, usually it's for work only. I honestly don't know anything that is better for work than being in the Mac ecosystem other than setting up Linux (and working your butt off for it). Some people just pay for that feeling and that productivity and to not have to be a technical genius. Yes, if you want the pure Mac experience, you'll pay crazy money, especially for their own Retina external monitors... But if you're not doing it as a hobby, the amount of time I spent customizing Linux to have something equivalent to the Mac Ecosystem is 10x more worth than what Apple wants in terms of money. I'd gladly pay it if I didn't enjoy the Linux pains so much like a masochist. And Windows is just far behind Linux or MacOS in terms of work for me. No way I'm ever going back to that. Goes for a lot of people who actually compare all OSes.

Granted, some people don't need that performance once you reach a minimum, but then tell me, why would anyone that already owns a Mac get a new one ? Even if you don't NEED that extra performance, when you buy a new computer, you buy it with MORE power than before, not less. And if you use it for ANYTHING that is intensive, that is, other than media consumption, something you can do in a tablet, then it is a huge step back.

As if you can notice a difference in most daily applications between an i5 and a Threadripper... There are speed limits with tech, it's the limit where you no longer even notice the extra power, potential speed and features you're getting. We have such amazingly powerful processors now, that most people don't actually need or know how to use them fully. It's their own speed limit, if you will.

I DO note the difference between my i5 2500k and my 3800x 8c/16t for everyday use. System loads faster, it is more responsible, I can have a lot more things running at the same time, and that's not even doing something heavy.

Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Granted, some people don't need that performance once you reach a minimum, but then tell me, why would anyone that already owns a Mac get a new one ? Even if you don't NEED that extra performance, when you buy a new computer, you buy it with MORE power than before, not less. And if you use it for ANYTHING that is intensive, that is, other than media consumption, something you can do in a tablet, then it is a huge step back.
Because you don't buy a "computer" you buy a "Mac".

Goes for a lot of people who actually compare all OSes.
So you're saying people who actually compare all OSes can compensate for lack of their favorite applications on one platform, presumably by writing their own on the OS of their choice? You're implying as if people choose OS regardless of applications ~ which some of them admittedly rely on for their livelihood. Give me an equivalent of say Mirllis' Splash player on Linux or how about Mirllis Action?

It's their own speed limit, if you will.
It isn't as simple as that. If it were everyone would've been a coder & Windows should've been dead back in the 90's :rolleyes:

The fact is the vast majority of people choose their OS largely based on the applications they use, not based on what OS performs the "best" & this applies especially to Mac owners.

So you're saying people who actually compare all OSes can compensate for lack of their favorite applications on one platform, presumably by writing their own on the OS of their choice? You're implying as if people choose OS regardless of applications ~ which some of them admittedly rely on for their livelihood. Give me an equivalent of say Mirllis' Splash player on Linux or how about Mirllis Action?
VLC? OBS Studio? There are always great alternatives to software that is just on one OS. The only thing I miss on Linux is the full MS Office, but there is already a good and free online version. And you can use a VM for Windows, if you really need to.

I suppose you haven't used Splash player or Action then, how about you try it & tell me a Linux or Mac equivalent & no VLC or OBS don't even come close to what they offer!
I choose a free & paid application just to show the fallacy in your argument.

I DO note the difference between my i5 2500k and my 3800x 8c/16t for everyday use. System loads faster, it is more responsible, I can have a lot more things running at the same time, and that's not even doing something heavy.
You're missing the point. Apple doesn't actually have slow laptops. It's just more expensive, but there are a lot of other benefits that come with Macs vs. Windows PCs other than hardware. The only way to get around this, is to use Linux in my opinion but by far not everybody wants to deal with Linux.

I suppose you haven't used Splash player or Action then, how about you try it & tell me a Linux or Mac equivalent & no VLC or OBS don't even come close to what they offer!
I choose a free & paid application just to show the fallacy in your argument.
And I could list many apps that are only on Linux. How about the OS itself? I argue that no individual app is as important as choosing your OS. It's far more important actually. It follows you everywhere and has a huge impact on your overall productivity across everything you do on a computer.. I'm not arguing that you can be just as productive on all free apps as you can be on some paid ones, but that's a far smaller concern for me than the actual OS I use. I'm not going to switch the whole OS to have 1-2 apps that are maybe a bit better. Most of my favorite software works cross platform. But also a lot of important features for me are pretty much exclusively on Linux, so there's that.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to get my head round the strategy here. Apple's core professional market is traditionally creative/media, where applications depend heavily on gpu acceleration.

I just can't see them delivering Vega Pro II performance from a scaled up SOC.

One on hand, maybe Apple will maintain support of x86 workstations like the Mac Pro or iMac Pro for longer than we expect. The Mac Pro is a very nicely designed and powerful system - just laughably overpriced in every configuration.

On the other hand, I know of some marketing and design shops that made the jump to Windows systems after the early 2010s. This was back when the “trash can” Mac Pro offered limited expansion / was mostly a downgrade from the 2008-2012 models and the 17” MacBook Pro was axed around 2011. Apple hasn’t been friendly to the pro market for years in favor of general consumers and those who see a Mac more as a fashion/prestige item. So it wouldn’t surprise me if the pro market has already eroded to a point where Apple is ready to throw in the towel on these users. I’m certain Final Cut, the Adobe products and other big names will be ported over in some form. But the ecosystem of smaller vendor’s pro products and those selling addons/plugins will likely go away.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
With the new Mac Pro, Apple introduced the “Afterburner Accelerator“ card:
The card is built to accelerate ProRes and ProRes RAW codecs, namely the encoding and decoding of the codecs, which is a processing-heavy task in most cases. Apple claims the card is capable of handling up to six streams of 8K ProRes RAW video simultaneously at 30 frames per second, making it extremely useful for video editors working at the highest possible level.
On less demanding video specifications, it is able to work on up to 23 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video at 30 frames per second, or at 4K ProRes 422, up to 16 video streams.

In other words, with the new Mac Pro announcement last year, Apple was already well on its way to finding alternatives for highly parallel compute. The Mac has not really ever been a good gaming platform, so if Apple continues to employ their own specialized hardware and a also good API to leverage it, then the relationship with AMD was already in jeopardy when this card was announced. I had held out hope that AMD would leverage their history of partnering with OEMs on custom chips, as they have provided many such custom options for Apple. However, if this is true, then even AMD doesn’t get a chance to play. The death of x86 Macs won’t be immediate, but in 7-8 years, we might see all such hardware get the EOL boot and Macs will be ”fully Apple” hardware. I do suspect money will still change hands to AMD and NVIDIA in regards to patents, but that still means Apple’s future is in Apple’s hands.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
I still don't get why people buy overpriced mac's, when you can have much better laptops from various companies like Asus, Lenovo, ROG, etc...

The Mac experience. Apple has flaws, like any other company. But when buy an Apple product you can sort of expect that it will be a smoother experience than what the competition can provide.

I'm not surprised, but it is interesting to see that Apple is willing to pay the insane cost of royalties on graphics patents in order to do so AND it thinks it can outperform Nvidia, AMD & Intel in designing GPU's.

I don't think so. From a business perspective, it could be just a negotiating tactic.

Think of it like Valve/Steam vs Windows Store. Valve was "willing" to create SteamOS (Linux distro) to compete against Windows Store. When Microsoft dropped Windows Store requirements, SteamOS died. As such, it became clear (in hindsight) that SteamOS was purely a negotiating tool.

Apple previously could only switch between NVidia and AMD. Intel GPUs are around the corner, but providing a 4th option... even if it isn't necessarily going to be used... would definitely lower prices from Apple's perspective.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
Every Apple product I have ever used are from work, where I had to use them for product development. I hated almost all of them, made me want to through them at walls. XCode is shitty IDE imo, Having said that, there are people who love Apple products and do get things done using them, so this is totally subjective I suppose.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Why is this a surprise to anyone? Apple has been using it’s own GPU on their ARM processors this whole time. Why wouldn’t they continue to do so?

Also, this post seems misleading. We don’t really have context for the slide, even from the tweet, and we know Apple is going to continue to build and support Intel Macs for some years ahead.

Couldn’t this mean the second column in the slide indicates that they’re going to continue to use other vendors with their Intel based Macs? How many years will it be until they can beat Navi in their flagship product?

Edit: Also worth noting that Apple has opened up development of system and kernel extensions (drivers) for the first time in this new release. I wonder what this means for add-in cards? Maybe nVidia can finally release some drivers :p

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
they don't aim to outperform them, their most sold mac is weak AF.
people don't really want performance, they want the mac experience if they can do that themself and deliver that better then that makes perfect sense.
A fair few People I know use them for browsing or nothing, like naught.
That's an expensive naught.
So we're finally going to see four discrete GPU, be interesting no doubt.

Software Win10 pro 64bit
and it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside
Personally no, but for their customers that description is pretty accurate I think.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just checked the actual video this slide is from. So PowerVR is finally making architecture suitable for desktop-performance after nearly 20 years.